252 replies to this topic

#1 kidtwentytwo

kidtwentytwo

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

The idea of taking QB/TE/WR early then piecing Rbs together in the mid rounds, see who pans out and then drop the rest. I could see this doing well in PPR leagues.

First 4-5 rounds draft something like

Calvin Johnson
Jimmy Graham
Roddy White
Top QB
Amendola

then piece your RBs together with the likes of

David Wilson
Montee Ball
Vick Ballard
Amhad Bradshaw
Demarco Murray

Could be a good idea if you whiff on a top RB and not feel like making a early round reach. Boom or Bust
Everybody panic

#2 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

i like it. I'm becoming completely averse to investing in a RB in the first 3 rounds. I just hate the volatility of the position. And that applies to ALL RBs.
  • Ryan81 and rigadoog like this

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#3 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

Except Ballard is the only that would be available later in the draft...
  • Robrain likes this
14 Team Total Points - Weekly Lineup Locks [hitting scoring] 1 pt per single, run, rbi, bb, sb, hbp - 2 pts per double - 3 pts per triple - 4 pts per home run [pitching scoring] 15 pts per win, 3 pts per QS, 2 pts per CG, 1 pt per K, 10 pts per no hitter, 5 pts per perfect game, 8 pts per save, relief win
C: Yan Gomes
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Dustin Pedroia
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Starlin Castro
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
OF: Alex Rios
DH: David Ortiz
SP: Zack Greinke
SP: Jered Weaver
SP: Johnny Cueto
RP: Jason Grilli
Bench: Bogaerts, Polanco, Morneau, Iwakuma, Peavy, Colon, Simon, Buehrle, Kelly, Chavez

#4 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

As many on here know, I love this strategy, however, you really do need to take a RB by the 4th, for sure the 5th for it to work. The only scenario I can see where you abandon that is if a top tier QB slides to you way below their ADP in the 4th, like if Manning slides to you in the mid-late 4th for whatever reason.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

Record: 5-8

QB: Big Ben
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Roddy White
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Eric Ebron
DEF: DET DST
K: Dan Carpenter

Bench: PHI DST, Keenan Allen (3.06), , Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), Kenny Stills, Andy Dalton, KaDeem Carey (14.09), Nick Foles (8.09)James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09), Heath Miller (10.09)

#5 kidtwentytwo

kidtwentytwo

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

I used this mock draft and a few others as reference.

http://espn.go.com/f...ule-first-round

That one is old so probably not the best one to use, but its a snap shot which is all I wanted. You can always find committee guys later...ala Alfred Morris after round 10 last season.
Everybody panic

#6 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

The problem with this strategy is you're at the mercy of other guys, hoping they don't snatch up all the RB's.

You could be left with a crap sandwich at RB.
  • Robrain, SenatorSpaceman and petekrum like this
12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
QB: Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez
RB: Eddie Lacy, Giovani Bernard, Mark Ingram, LeGarrette Blount, Jonas Gray
WR: Josh Gordon, Odell Beckham Jr, Roddy White, Vincent Jackson
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski

#7 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

The problem with this strategy is you're at the mercy of other guys, hoping they don't snatch up all the RB's.

You could be left with a crap sandwich at RB.

Yes this is the risk...however that could mean you also end up with:
Tron
Bryant
Harvin
Gronk
Cam

Sorry but at that point in a 12+ teamer I wouldn't care if I was starting Mendenhall and Vereen every week....at least until some "stud" RB tears an ACL and I start his backup who I drafted in round 12 and then turns into an RB1-2 by mid season.

Bench: PHI DST, Keenan Allen (3.06), , Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), Kenny Stills, Andy Dalton, KaDeem Carey (14.09), Nick Foles (8.09)James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09), Heath Miller (10.09)

#8 Prea

Prea

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

I don't play PPR, but it might work. You might not be able to grab a lot of those RBs past round 5 though (other than Ballard as someone else mentioned - and I don't like him personally).

But if it's 10 team PPR (based on that ESPN draft you posted - which doens't look like PPR btw. And Ball/Wilson are taken in round 3 there), looking at these ADP's
http://fantasyfootba...teams=10&pos=rb

5 - Bradshaw, Mathews (Bradshaw is good as long as he's healthy, Mathews could bounce back)
6 - Mendenhall, Lacy (Mendhenall is the #1, should see action in the pass game)
7- Vereen, Gio (Vereen is expected to get a lot of receptions, Gio might not get the #1 spot till midway through the season if at all)
8 - Daryl Richardson, Andre Brown (I think Richardson is going to be good this year, Brown should see receptions and goal line action)
9/10 - Danny Woodhead (could get 50 receptions or so)
12 - Pierre Thomas (he could be good for 40-50 receptions)

Would be somewhat harder to pull off in a 12 team imo, but if you take a RB by the 5th you're looking at
5 - Bradshaw, Mathews, Lacy, Mendenhall, Gio, Vereen
6 - BJE, Brown, Richardson
7 - Woodhead, F Jax

Edited by Prea, 10 July 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#9 Robrain

Robrain

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yeah man, Ryan Torain will totally be available in the rounds you're looking at with this strategy...
  • SenatorSpaceman and petekrum like this

2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. RB - Adrian Peterson......(01.03)
WR1: Malcom Floyd...........(14.14)............. RB - Matt Asiata..........(UD.FA)
WR2: Eddie Royal............(UD.FA)............. RB - Juwan Thompson.......(16.12)
RB1: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. RB - Damien Williams......(16.10)
RB2: Eddie Lacy.............(01.05)............. RB - LaMichael James......(UD.FA)
FLEX1: RB Branden Oliver....(UD.FA)............. TE - Austin Sef-Jenkins...(UD.FA)
FLEX2: RB Steven Jackson....(04.02)............. WR - Donte Moncrief.......(UD.FA)
TE : Travis Kelce...........(15.12)............. WR/IR Marquess Wilson.....(UD.FA)

#10 Robrain

Robrain

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

And don't forget Ronnie Brown and Danny Woodhead. Those two will be your team's star RB's.
  • SenatorSpaceman and petekrum like this

2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. RB - Adrian Peterson......(01.03)
WR1: Malcom Floyd...........(14.14)............. RB - Matt Asiata..........(UD.FA)
WR2: Eddie Royal............(UD.FA)............. RB - Juwan Thompson.......(16.12)
RB1: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. RB - Damien Williams......(16.10)
RB2: Eddie Lacy.............(01.05)............. RB - LaMichael James......(UD.FA)
FLEX1: RB Branden Oliver....(UD.FA)............. TE - Austin Sef-Jenkins...(UD.FA)
FLEX2: RB Steven Jackson....(04.02)............. WR - Donte Moncrief.......(UD.FA)
TE : Travis Kelce...........(15.12)............. WR/IR Marquess Wilson.....(UD.FA)

#11 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

My immediate comment was, "Except Ballard, good luck getting any of those guys in Round 6+ come the real drafts"
  • SenatorSpaceman, mverkruyse and petekrum like this

#12 Skoodog

Skoodog

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,779 posts
  • Interests:Driving Porsches with Paul Walker

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

The main thing overlooked in this thread is that if this is a dynasty draft and you don't get a top 3 pick, this is EXACTLY how you want to draft to mitigate risk. Top WR talent is scarce in rookie drafts from year to year and they tend to last longer than RBs...plus there's at least one or two fantasy relevant rookie back every year.
Legend has it...they don't check on the weekends...

#13 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

The main reason I don't like this strategy is that there are more middle-to-late rd drafted WR sleepers that I like more than the middle-to-late rd RB sleepers. In the middle rds, I'm all for WR like Garcon, DX, Maclin (especially if Foles ends up as starting QB), Britt, JGordon and late rd guys Michael Floyd, AJeffery, RRandle, VBrown, Broyles. I feel like you can only draft one of these guys if you follow the WR/WR/WR/TE/QB in the 1st 5 rd strategy. Basically, for this season at least, I feel more confident about hitting later on a WR than RB. Although I still like to be able to take shots later at both positions.

#14 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

My thing is that it's now much easier to predict who the top 5 WRs, top 5 QBs and top 2-3 TEs than it is to predict the top 5 RBs or hell, top 10 RBs even. In the past this was not the case which was one of the main reasons everyone drafted RB-RB almost without fail. Sooooooo my overall point is if there is elite talent at a position available, draft them, don't worry about the fact you might be weak at your RB2 spot, it's not going to matter if you have elite talent at other starting spots.
  • rigadoog and RogerGoodell like this

#15 chriscarman

chriscarman

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

I'm new here, but what is with all the optimism about getting guys much later than their ADP? The link to the mock you posted has Wilson and Ball going in the 3rd. Murray is around there too. RB value picks are the most important and also the hardest to determine, aren't you setting yourself up for trouble by just assuming you'll get guys later than is realistic? This is why I'm starting to realize the value of FFC's ADP rankings, you can see where the wind is blowing. Worse case scenario is then at least you won't be surprised.

Edited by chriscarman, 10 July 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#16 kidtwentytwo

kidtwentytwo

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

I don't play PPR, but it might work. You might not be able to grab a lot of those RBs past round 5 though (other than Ballard as someone else mentioned - and I don't like him personally).

But if it's 10 team PPR (based on that ESPN draft you posted - which doens't look like PPR btw. And Ball/Wilson are taken in round 3 there), looking at these ADP's
http://fantasyfootba...teams=10&pos=rb

5 - Bradshaw, Mathews (Bradshaw is good as long as he's healthy, Mathews could bounce back)
6 - Mendenhall, Lacy (Mendhenall is the #1, should see action in the pass game)
7- Vereen, Gio (Vereen is expected to get a lot of receptions, Gio might not get the #1 spot till midway through the season if at all)
8 - Daryl Richardson, Andre Brown (I think Richardson is going to be good this year, Brown should see receptions and goal line action)
9/10 - Danny Woodhead (could get 50 receptions or so)
12 - Pierre Thomas (he could be good for 40-50 receptions)

Would be somewhat harder to pull off in a 12 team imo, but if you take a RB by the 5th you're looking at
5 - Bradshaw, Mathews, Lacy, Mendenhall, Gio, Vereen
6 - BJE, Brown, Richardson
7 - Woodhead, F Jax

That is what you're looking for. You're piecing together at least 5 if not more RBs, see which ones pan out, and cut bait on the rest.
In a 12 teamer, You get a core of Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Rodgers/Brees, and Victor Cruz in a PPR league and you're going to win some games on those 4 alone.
Then pick up
5. Mendenhall/Bernard/Vereen or a free faller from rounds 3-4
6. Green-Ellis/Brown
7. Richardson/A. Brown
8. Tate/B. Brown/Woodhead/Jackson
9. Pierce/Ballard/Pead or anyone else who has fallen.

This will also require you to be active in f/a and waivers...can't just draft and sit around.
Everybody panic

#17 GnG

GnG

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

At first I thought this idea was ridiculous, but the more I thought about it I think it could work. However If I were to do this, I would go
1.Megatron (must, if not strategy falls thru)
2. Graham if not Dez
3. Reggie Bush or another similar rb that slips to rd 3
4. WR
5. RB or WR
6. Mid range QB like stafford or luck
7. best available

Think its essential to have at least one RB that is somewhat decent and not a huge gamble. With the rest go high upside and hope one hits.
12 Team 0.5 PPR
QB RG3, Russell Wilson
RB Demarco Murray, Zac Stacy, Joique Bell, SJax
WR Dez Bryant, Pierre Garcon, Torrey Smith, Josh Gordon
TE Zach Ertz, Martellus Bennett
DST Bears
K Steven Hauschka

#18 The Jesus

The Jesus

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

If the entire basis for this strategy is to find this year's Alfred Morris in the tenth round every year, then good luck with that.
  • Robrain, SenatorSpaceman, petekrum and 1 other like this

#19 Curlin

Curlin

Single-A

• Probationary Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

If the entire basis for this strategy is to find this year's Alfred Morris in the tenth round every year, then good luck with that.

Exactly. Way too many proven wrs in later rounds to go wr early. Hope many in my league think otherwise. I should say though, my league is not ppr.
  • SenatorSpaceman likes this

#20 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

If you can't get Megatron with that first round pick, I think I'd bail on this strategy. Not sure I feel comfortable drafting another WR not named Megatron in the 1st round in say a 10 team league.
  • Robrain and maxhyde like this
Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users