Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Danny Salazar 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
419 replies to this topic

#1 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

Makes his debut against the Jays today. The word is this is only a spot start.

http://www.baseballa...ers/cards/42270

http://www.minorleag...s?ref=fangraphs
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

"A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all – he’s walking on them. " - Leonard Louis Levinson

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#2 elrey

elrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

The Indians may be trying to showcase him for a possible Garza trade FWIW. I was checking some articles about him on fangraphs and minorleagueball and I'm definitely interested. He has a plus plus fastball that can reach up to 100 MPH, a good change and has 100 Ks in 76 innings in the minors this year. Too bad Yahoo doesn't even have him in the player pool :(

#3 BMcP

BMcP

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

Not convinced of that theory - Salazar is the first home-grown starter of merit to come through that org in many years. Seems that the Indians might like to reap what they've sown for more than 1-2 starts.
Opta ardua pennis astra sequi.

#4 DemOrioles

DemOrioles

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Just struck out the side. This dude is throwing gas! He looks impressive out there so far.

#5 bibigon

bibigon

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

Why are we so sure he's only up for one start?

His strikeout rate in the minors suggests somewhat elite upside.

#6 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

That's what the manager said: Nick Camino@CaminoTribe 41m
Francona said he expects Salazar to simply spot-start for the #Indians on Thursday.

Now things can change, and if Salazar keeps this up, something will change.

"A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all – he’s walking on them. " - Leonard Louis Levinson

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#7 kidtwentytwo

kidtwentytwo

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Nick Camino@CaminoTribe 5m
Asked on why he will be sent down after this start..."He gives us a chance to win", said General Manager Chris Antonetti. "He is young and has upside, we can't have that around here. We will showcase him today so we can trade him for a proven veteran like Wade Davis or Erik Bedard."

Edited by kidtwentytwo, 11 July 2013 - 11:37 AM.

Everybody panic

#8 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,970 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

Asked on why he will be sent down after this start..."He gives us a chance to win", said General Manager Chris Antonetti. "He is young and has upside, we can't have that around here. We will showcase him today so we can trade him for a proven veteran like Wade Davis or Erik Bedard."

I Loled.
No Days Off

#9 octapuss

octapuss

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

the quote doesnt even make sense
16 Team Dynasty League /  Weekly Head 2 Head / 14 by 14 Roto

C-   Lucroy
1B - Gonzalez, Napoli, Adams
2B - Altuve
3B - Longoria
SS - Reyes, Owings
LF - Gordon
CF - Jennings, Martin
RF - Markikis

DL -

SP - Cobb, A. Sanchez, Salazar, Niese, Fister, Wheeler, Kennedy
RP - Street, Perkins, Wilson

Batting - 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, R, RBI, SB, HBP, IBB,   / (negative points)  K, GIDP, CS, E
Pitching - IP, W, SV, K, HD, CG, SO / (negative points) BB, HB, ER, L, BS, H, WP

#10 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

Definitely has good stuff. Fastball seems to be living up in the zone, which is good and bad. Harder to hit the high 90's fastball up high, but he'll be prone to the HR ball here and there

Changeup is really really good

16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
C - Buster Posey (SF - C, 1B)
1B - Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B, 3B)
2B - Robinson Cano (Sea - 2B)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B, 3B)
SS - Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
LF - Carlos Gonzalez (COL - LF)
CF - Corey Dickerson (Col - LF, CF)
RF - George Springer (Hou - CF, RF)
Util - David Wright (NYM - 3B)
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Jean Segura (Mil - SS)Dalton Pompey (Tor - LF, CF), Jake Lamb (ARI - 3B), Lucas Duda (NYM - 1B)
Pitchers:(5 SP/5 RP)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Jose Quintana, Jordan Zimmermann, Carlos Martinez, Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova, Steven Matz
Relievers: Craig Kimbrel, Greg Holland, Sean Doolittle, Carson Smith, Shae Simmons
Farm System: Andrew Heaney (LAA - SP), Marco Gonzales(StL - SP), Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Arismendy Alcantara(CHC - 2B/CF)

#11 Lemasive

Lemasive

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

Just picked him up, I really like what I see.
Swedish guy with an all swedish Baseball Fantasy League just trying to swim in deep unkown waters.

#12 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Looks like he's throwing 2 and 4 seam fastballs. Change-up is nasty. Couldn't get Davis to bite on the slider.

Edited by Z06vette, 11 July 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#13 bibigon

bibigon

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

100 strikeouts across 75 AA and AAA innings is very impressive, even if not backed up by any track record like that previously. Add in that he's got power stuff and isn't a deception guy, and I'm very intrigued. If this holds up, I'll likely roster him for the long haul, even if he's sent down.

#14 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

Just hit 99.

#15 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

The Indians remain cautious with his pitch counts and he's averaged less than five innings per start in Triple-A, despite his otherwise dominating numbers.

It will be interesting to see how long he goes today.

#16 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

Goodness, that's some serious sh*t he's throwing out there!
"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#17 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

I don't understand why Gomez didn't call for a change-up against Davis. All fastballs and sliders. That was 11 pitches against Davis?

Francona has a serious decision to make here. Dude's pitch count, but he's pitching a no-hitter.

Edited by Z06vette, 11 July 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#18 JohnB3

JohnB3

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

They cant send him down after this
Football 12 team. PPR
QB-Foles
RB-Bell, Jennings, Moreno, Miller, Dwyer
WR-Megatron, Garcon, Wallace, Benjamin
TE-Rudolph, Kelce
DST-Carolina

#19 Ballin' Oates

Ballin' Oates

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

It's the free game of the day at mlb.com.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/

#20 bibigon

bibigon

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

I don't understand why Gomez didn't call for a change-up against Davis. All fastballs and sliders. That was 11 pitches against Davis?

Francona has a serious decision to make here. Dude's pitch count, but he's pitching a no-hitter.

They should pull him. A career achievement isn't worth it.