Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Player Thread Ratings System

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 SecondString

SecondString

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

Idea....

I think all of the individual player threads in this forum should have a rating system where all members vote on how they rate the player, almost like a poll, but it would be perpetually updated.  That way, at a glance, you could see which way the wind is blowing as far as how everyone feels about any particular player every time you click on that player's thread.

It should have something like a 1-5 rating system:

1 - Very positive.  Definitely targeting for my roster
2 - Positive - Would like to own
3 - Neutral / Undecided
4 - Slightly negative - not targeting
5 - Definitely negative - would not own

Every member would have one vote per player thread, and you should be able to change your rating at any time.

Not that this would be an end-all analysis to make final decisions by, but it would simply provide a quick summary, like a poll.  The value of this would be great, especially like now, in the pre-season.

What made me think of this is going through and reading some of the player threads to get comments and opinions on many different players.  There is some good reading in there, but also a lot of rubbish that you have to sift through sometimes in order to get a general consensus.

setting something like this up should be something very do-able by RW administrators, and would improve the quality of the board.  If we were to clamor for it, RW may be compelled to incorporate it.  They should actually do it anyway, since it would promote more readership for them, and add a feature to set them apart from their competitors' forums.

I do realize that members already have the ability to set up polls, but these polls do not have the feature of being able to change your vote at any time.  Also, if it is left to the members to set this up, there would be no consistency in the format.  I'm suggesting that a standard poll be set up for each player thread as described.

This is something I just now thought of, so I haven't put a ton of thought into it.  There may be other ideas on how to set it up in a better way, so feel free to throw out ideas.

Thoughts?

#2 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,434 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

Moved to Feedback Section, where Admins can review when they stop by.   Having said that, I will point out that RW Forums use IPS as the software to run Forums, and the rating system is an integrated feature in the IPS software set.  As such, they aren't programming changes, but simply using the existing software features.  In short - if it's a feature that can be selected as a menu feature, then they might consider it - if it is specific programming, well, Admins make the final call, but all changes to RW Forums run off IPS boiler plate items.

Leaving it for Admins to change/confirm.....
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#3 SecondString

SecondString

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Seems like you could have left it up here to get some members' feedback on the idea.  If not many people reply saying they would like to see something like this, no need to bother.  However, if a lot of people feel it would be valuable, maybe it would create the motivation to find a way.

Nothing wrong with getting feedback from your customers.

#4 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,434 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostSecondString, on 11 July 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Seems like you could have left it up here to get some members' feedback on the idea.  If not many people reply saying they would like to see something like this, no need to bother.  However, if a lot of people feel it would be valuable, maybe it would create the motivation to find a way.

Nothing wrong with getting feedback from your customers.

The Forums are indeed successful because of the membership (the Forums are separate from the Main Site, so there are no customers here, FYI) - so feedback is most certainly welcome.  But, feedback goes into the Feedback Forum, as part of the Forum Posting Rules.   As this is a free Forum and is separate from the RW Main Site, RW Admins only review the Feedback section, and sporadically, so if you wish to actually get a response to see if this is even possible - this is your best chance.  

Your enthusiasm is appreciated - but in the end, if IPS software menus don't allow the above suggestion as possible, then no amount of wishes will make this happen - again, leaving it here to the RW Admins to confirm/change reply on software capabilities.
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#5 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

Just spitballing, but members could start implementing polls with every player thread next season. As SecondString states, all members would have one vote per thread, but it's changeable (whichever way the wind blows).
Are the Rotoworld forums lagging for you? Please report the issue here: http://www.rotoworld.com/about/help.aspx. It's the best way to force a change!