Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Matt Flynn 2013 Season OutlookIn like Flynn?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

Andy Behrens is one of my favorite FF writers:

Matt Flynn will be the guy handing the ball off to Oakland’s backs this season, in all likelihood — unless he has another do-nothing preseason. Flynn relocated to AFC West in the offseason, via trade with Seattle, and he’s expected to serve as the Raiders’ starting QB. He has not yet demonstrated that he can be a successful NFL starter, except in situations where he’s taking snaps for Green Bay and the opposing defense is like, “Who in the [profane] is Matt Flynn?”

http://sports.yahoo....-162217208.html

View PostHolben, on 20 July 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

Jackie Battle...Better than Chris Johnson...

Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 12-Team PPR (Teamname: "Maniac Allstars"):
QB: Andrew Luck
WR1: Calvin Johnson - WR2: Torrey Smith - Bench: Josh Gordon, Chris Givens, Ryan Broyles
RB1: Mikel LeShoure - RB2: Dexter McCluster - Bench: Montario Hardesty, Kevin Smith
TE: Dennis Pitta
FLEX: Tony Gonzalez
K: Greg Zuerlein

#2 drater

drater

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, talent meeting opportunity

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

He's going to get Wilson'd again, this time by Tyler. Mediocre arm talents do not make good NFL QBs, unless they're facing the Defensive Secondary Formerly Known As Street Free Agents (AKA, the late 2011 Detroit Lions). And the year before against the Patriots was the same core secondary starters that would allow an NFL record passing yards in 2011.

So basically, unless he's facing a record breaking bad defense or a bunch of guys were stocking shelves a couple weeks earlier, he sucks.

#3 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,353 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

rough news for flynn; one of the best LT's in the league, Jared Veldheer tore his triceps. Sad day to be a Raiders fan
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#4 mthdmn

mthdmn

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostPPolanco, on 14 August 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

rough news for flynn; one of the best LT's in the league, Jared Veldheer tore his triceps. Sad day to be a Raiders fan

when is it NOT a sad day to be a Raiders fan?
Yahoo Standard H2H $$$ League (12 Teams)

C Devin Mesoraco
1B Paul Goldschmidt, Matt Adams
2B Neil Walker, Martin Prado
3B Ryan Zimmerman, Manny Machado
SS Starlin Castro, Mookie Betts
OF Giancarlo Stanton,
Adam Jones, Khris Davis, Gregory Polanco, Ben Revere
SP Adam Wainwright, Jordan Zimmerman, Garrett Richards, Matt Cain, Dillon Gee, Danny Duffy
RP Aroldis Chapman, Steve Cishek, Mark Melancon, Hector Rondon, Dellin Betances

#5 ZayMonay

ZayMonay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Raiders coaches have accepted that Matt Flynn isn't "going to have success throwing longer than 25 yards."
Per beat writer Vittorio Tafur, it's been "clear all camp." That's absolutely embarrassing for an NFL quarterback, of course, but not a surprise. We already knew Flynn had one of the weakest, if not the weakest, arm in the league. This is just further evidence of how spectacularly weak the Raiders' offense is going to be. Flynn has no one to throw to, and his inability to challenge farther than 25 yards down field is going to lead to stacked boxes for Darren McFadden. It's a mess of a situation.

Gained three things from this news

1. Flynn is going to have a tough time throwning deep obviously
2. As though Run DMC have enough problems, he is now undraftable in my opinion because the safeties won't even have to worry playing deep
3. I will be streaming several defenses against the Raiders, cause they are going to be absolutely awful on offense

That being said if there is a bright spot for Raiders fans it's that Clowney or Bridgewater may be in your future in April or whenever they are now having the draft

#6 DLG10

DLG10

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

Anyone who ever saw him play at LSU knew this.

Edited by DLG10, 14 August 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#7 ZayMonay

ZayMonay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

I knew he had a weak arm but 25 yards is literally embarassing. 75% of the adult male population can throw that far....

#8 mthdmn

mthdmn

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

wait, 25 yards? that's gotta be a typo...
Yahoo Standard H2H $$$ League (12 Teams)

C Devin Mesoraco
1B Paul Goldschmidt, Matt Adams
2B Neil Walker, Martin Prado
3B Ryan Zimmerman, Manny Machado
SS Starlin Castro, Mookie Betts
OF Giancarlo Stanton,
Adam Jones, Khris Davis, Gregory Polanco, Ben Revere
SP Adam Wainwright, Jordan Zimmerman, Garrett Richards, Matt Cain, Dillon Gee, Danny Duffy
RP Aroldis Chapman, Steve Cishek, Mark Melancon, Hector Rondon, Dellin Betances

#9 ZayMonay

ZayMonay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

I going to assume that he can throw more than 25 yards, just his accuracy is terrible from deeper than that. He may still be alright Chad Pennington was pretty good even after he had his arm riped off multiple times (circa Anchorman), so who knows.

Edited by ZayMonay, 14 August 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#10 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

Immediately after that report, the beat writers reported this:

Vic Tafur@VicTafur2h

@Jerrymcd: Flynn shows he has occasional deep touch in strike to Rod Streater against Mike Jenkins” >> nice throw

I'm not saying Flynn is stellar at the deep ball, but I think he proved vs. DET that he can get the job done:

View PostHolben, on 20 July 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

Jackie Battle...Better than Chris Johnson...

Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 12-Team PPR (Teamname: "Maniac Allstars"):
QB: Andrew Luck
WR1: Calvin Johnson - WR2: Torrey Smith - Bench: Josh Gordon, Chris Givens, Ryan Broyles
RB1: Mikel LeShoure - RB2: Dexter McCluster - Bench: Montario Hardesty, Kevin Smith
TE: Dennis Pitta
FLEX: Tony Gonzalez
K: Greg Zuerlein

#11 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

Man, this guy is a douchebag.  He benefitted from playing on an awesome Green Bay team and parlayed two fluke games into $10 million guaranteed money from Seattle.  And then when he got beat out last year while supposedly resting his sore arm, he somehow convinced the Raiders to give him $6.5 million in guaranteed money.  And lo and behold, he's now resting his sore arm YET AGAIN and he's going to get beat out by Terrelle Pryor.  

I see a pattern here.  Underwhelming, not quite up to NFL talent somehow scored big by being a little used backup on a great team.  He and Matt Cassell should be poster boys for the "Backup QBs How-To guide for cashing in on your below average talent".

#12 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

Wow was I wrong about this dud!  I think it was the Denarius Moore thread where I was defending Flynn and his ability.  Embarrassing posts on my end...

#13 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

Anyone else here have either Rodgers or Cam and were relying on Pryor for their bye week QB replacement?  Looking like TP will be out and Flynn in as the starter.  The pickings are slim in my league with regards to FA QB and Flynn is facing the dreadful WAS def in OAK.  Does anyone think Flynn has any shot to post a decent game?  Maybe OAK hands the ball off 40 times to DMC, Reece & RJennings...

#14 jdfwave

jdfwave

Just Drafted

• Probationary Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

I'm in the same boat. I have Cam Newton and Pryor. In my league the best FA options are Flynn or Locker. Should I roll the dice with Flynn against the league's worst pass defense (albeit the skins played Philly, GB, and Detroit...all good passing teams). Heck, he might not even start if Pryor gets cleared to play at the last minute. Locker's matchup is less than favorable against NY Jets D (albeit, NY played less powerful passing teams this year so far). Should I just get Locker or go with Flynn? I can't decide. Thanks.

Edited by jdfwave, 27 September 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#15 mrko1990

mrko1990

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

View Postjdfwave, on 27 September 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

I'm in the same boat. I have Cam Newton and Pryor. In my league the best FA options are Flynn or Locker. Should I roll the dice with Flynn against the league's worst pass defense (albeit the skins played Philly, GB, and Detroit...all good passing teams). Heck, he might not even start if Pryor gets cleared to play at the last minute. Locker's matchup is less than favorable against NY Jets D (albeit, NY played less powerful passing teams this year so far). Should I just get Locker or go with Flynn? I can't decide. Thanks.

Wrong section buddy, go to the assistant section for your roster help.

[size=2]My fantasy football team roster... Settings are QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, W/R/T, Q/W/R/T[/size]

[size=2]QB Michael Vick, Colin Keapernick, Kirk Cousins, Kyle Orton[/size]

[size=2]RB LeSean McCoy, Chris Johnson, Mike Tolbert, Roy Helu Jr, Brandon Jacobs, Lance Dunbar[/size]

[size=2]WR Julio Jones, Sydney Rice, Alshon Jeffery, Donnie Avery, Jacoby Jones[/size]

[size=2]TE Greg Olson[/size]

#16 The Burger King

The Burger King

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

Released by Oakland....Buffalo come calling? Does anyone have to care?
10 Team Std
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WRT/TE/K/DST

CURRENT TEAM
RWilson/Cutler
Forte/Alf/MJD/DBrown/Todman
Mega/DT/Roddy/Percy/Colston
DWalker
Prater
TEN DST

AS DRAFTED
Romo/Vick
Forte/Lacy/Bradshaw/Montee/Ballard
Megatron/Julio/DJax/Kenbrell/V Brown
Gronk/Cameron
Vinatieri
Streaming D - None

#17 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

What a joke of a quarterback.  Parlays two good games to $10 million dollars.  Now he's being paid $6.5 million to sit on his couch until some desperate team calls him to show up and carry a clipboard.

What a bust.  He's right behind Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf in terms of expectations and money invested.

#18 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,261 posts
  • Interests:SF GIANTS, Niners, Warriors

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostCooL, on 07 October 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

What a joke of a quarterback.  Parlays two good games to $10 million dollars.  Now he's being paid $6.5 million to sit on his couch until some desperate team calls him to show up and carry a clipboard.

What a bust.  He's right behind Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf in terms of expectations and money invested.

I would definitely not compare him to Russell as he has actually had a good game under his belt.  Also, Russell was a #1 pick ahead of guys like Calvin.  So no way you can compare those two.  I kind of feel bad for him though to get brought in two places expecting to be a starter and both times getting ousted by young guys.  Oh well, still making that paper.
"Any Given Pick Napa" 12-team Non-ppr Keeper League - Custom Scoring *2009, 2012, 2013 Champion*
2014 Keepers (Julio Jones, Josh Gordon, FJax)

#19 Slider

Slider

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

He was the backup for Aaron Rodgers and everybody thought that he might be talented.  Seattle brought him on and he did okay, but obviously Wilson is a much better QB.  I wish I could sit around and be paid millions of dollars.
12 person (2QB auction league)
QB: Eli Manning (NYG), Alex Smith (KC), Jason Campbell (Cle); Scott Tolzien (GB); Ryan Fitzpatrick (Ten)
WR: Jordy Nelson (GB), Michael Crabtree (SF), Riley Cooper (Phi); Rishard Matthews (Mia); Jericho Cotchery (Pit)

RB: Giovani Bernard (Cin), Shane Vereen (NE); Rashad Jennings (Oak)
TE: Tony Gonzalez (Atl)
K: Stephen Gostkowski
DEF: Carolina

12 person (standard league)
QB: Mike Glennon (TB); Russell Wilson (Sea)
WR: Demaryius Thomas (Den), Calvin Johnson (Det), Brandon Marshall (Chi), Keenan Allen (SD)
RB: Zac Stacy (StL), Steven Jackson (Atl), Andre Ellington (Ari), Andre Brown (NYG); Rashad Jennings (Oak)
TE: Rob Gronkowski (NE), Julius Thomas (Den)
K: Stephen Gostkowski
DEF: Houston

#20 alexcuse

alexcuse

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

Green Bay reunion now that he's cut from buffalo and rodgers is injured?
**Basketball 14-team 9-cat standard
PG: Deron Williams, Kemba Walker, Michael Carter-Williams
SG: Gordon Hayward, Andre Iguodala, Brian Roberts (BN2)
SF: Matt Barnes, DeMarre Carroll (BN3)
PF: Paul Millsap, Greg Monroe, Jarrod Sullinger (BN1)
C: LaMarcus Aldridge, Gorgui Deng

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users