Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Jared Cosart 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 Rabbit Maranville

Rabbit Maranville

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

He's made it through 8 scoreless with 2 hits 2 walks and 2 K's.

Let's see if he can get the SO in his first major league start so we can pump up that hype machine heading into the ASB.
7-team Dynasty H2H
------------------------------
C- Ossee Schreckengost
1B- Hee-Seop Choi
2B- Bo Hart
3B- Doug Strange
SS- Matt Stairs
OF- Quinton McCracken
OF- Nemo Leibold
OF- William Beane
UTIL- Kevin Young
BN- Tony Womack, Abner Dalrymple
SP- Luis Tiant, Dustin Nippert, Rick Ankiel, Charles Radbourn, Bea Arthur, Bob Walk
RP- Mike Fetters, The Hamburglar, Byung-Hyun Kim, Joe Table

DL- Mark Prior

#2 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

I'm on board - was waiting for this thread to pop up.

The Rays have been so hit or miss it's tough to tell if they're a difficult matchup but they've been hot recently so I believe they are in the top half of mlb offenses. Mighty impressive
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#3 DMCRUN

DMCRUN

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

I did not watch the game and have not seen the highlights yet. Can someone give me the scouting report on this guy.

#4 Rabbit Maranville

Rabbit Maranville

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

I did not watch the game and have not seen the highlights yet. Can someone give me the scouting report on this guy.

I'mma just copy and paste what I found:

Scouting Report

Body: Lean, athletic body with proportional limbs and natural strength through his core. Moderately broad shoulders tapers through torso to the waist. Needs to add strength to frame and has the room to do it.
Makeup: Diligent worker between starts and reportedly during the off-season. Continues to seek ways to improve. Very competitive on the mound with an almost arrogant belief in his ability to be overpower the batter.
Delivery/Mechanics: Lightning quick arm and an easy release of the ball from his hand make the arm action look easy. Explodes toward the plate from the balance position atop his windup, frequently landing very hard on a stiff front leg that causes his body to jolt as he releases the ball. Could stand to smooth things out to help improve his command.
Fastball (FB) Velocity (Wind-up): High – 99, Low – 92, Average – 94-95, Grade –70/80
Fastball (FB) Velocity (Stretch): High – 98, Low 92, Average 94-95, Grade – 70/80
Fastball (FB) Movement: Explosive velocity with some deceptive life as it approaches the plate. Will bore in on right-handed hitters at times. Grade – 60/60
Overall Fastball: Elite pitch in short bursts with a chance to sit there with added strength and stamina. Very tough to square up when he maintains a good angle to the hitting zone. Can miss bats with just his fastball, even when hitters know its coming. Grade – 70/80
Curveball (CB): Consistently thrown in the 77-78 mph range. Pitch has good 11-5 shape with swing-and-miss potential when it’s on. Doesn’t always finish the pitch and will leave a spinner up in the zone. I have seen the pitch at its best and it can be a true out-pitch in the big leagues with added consistency. Grade – 50/70
Change-up (CH): Deceptive pitch because he maintains his arm speed. Lacks significant movement in any direction and relies purely on change in speed. Needs increased confidence to throw the pitch in critical spots. Could be a valuable piece against left-handed hitters even if it is only a fringe-average pitch. Grade – 40/50
Control: Worked in the strike zone more in 2011 and showed significant improvement as a strike thrower. Throws strikes more consistently from the stretch than the windup where the jolt to his upper body is exaggerated. Grade – 40/50
Command: Athleticism allows for some command projection but the second half of his delivery mitigates that hope. Likely will never locate his fastball that well. Big step would be consistently working low and elevating when needed during an at-bat. Grade – 30/40

Summation: I have had the opportunity to personally scout Cosart extensively over the last three years, giving me a very good feel for his present and potential future abilities. His fastball-curveball combination gives him an outstanding foundation to be an impact MLB pitcher. Though his raw upside stands at the front of a rotation, his battles with command and consistency could leave him as more of a number three starter with maddeningly electric stuff. If the Astros become concerned over his long term durability, he could play up as an elite level two-pitch closer. His extreme competitiveness should allow him to pitch in either role with success.

7-team Dynasty H2H
C- Ossee Schreckengost
1B- Hee-Seop Choi
2B- Bo Hart
3B- Doug Strange
SS- Matt Stairs
OF- Quinton McCracken
OF- Nemo Leibold
OF- William Beane
UTIL- Kevin Young
SP- Luis Tiant, Dustin Nippert, Rick Ankiel, Charles Radbourn, Bea Arthur, Bob Walk

DL- Mark Prior

#5 Gumbo_Ghost

Gumbo_Ghost

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

So, he's going back to the minors, right?
100%?

#6 Rabbit Maranville

Rabbit Maranville

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

100%?

I would be truly shocked to see that. What makes you think this is the case?
7-team Dynasty H2H
C- Ossee Schreckengost
1B- Hee-Seop Choi
2B- Bo Hart
3B- Doug Strange
SS- Matt Stairs
OF- Quinton McCracken
OF- Nemo Leibold
OF- William Beane
UTIL- Kevin Young

DL- Mark Prior

#7 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

100%?

I'm pretty sure the coaches said that
16 Team 10 Player Keeper (2013 Champion!!!!!)
Hitters: Molina, Davis, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Kemp, Melky, Prado, Russell, Reyes, Hill, Grandal, Josh hamilton, Morneau

Pitchers: Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Hamels, Lincecum, Ventura, Chavez, Kazmir, Bauer, Mejia, Britton

#8 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

100%?

that was the original plan. We'll see what happens after this performance though
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#9 Rabbit Maranville

Rabbit Maranville

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

I'm pretty sure he's just being sent back down so he stays on his regular schedule and so that the Astros have that extra spot Saturday and Sunday.

After that performance, there's very little chance the stros leave him in AAA
7-team Dynasty H2H
C- Ossee Schreckengost
1B- Hee-Seop Choi
2B- Bo Hart
3B- Doug Strange
SS- Matt Stairs
OF- Quinton McCracken
OF- Nemo Leibold
OF- William Beane
UTIL- Kevin Young

DL- Mark Prior

#10 bmay

bmay

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Not sure what some people are raving about. Dude only struck out two batters over 8 innings with FOUR swinging strikes out of 96 pitches (4.2% SwStr - atrocious). He also threw about 45% balls.
14-team H2H Points League (weekly):
C - McCann
1B - Rizzo
2B - Cano
3B - Encarnacion
SS - Bogaerts
OF - Braun, Bruce, Hunter
DH - Seager
Bench - Beltran, Davis, Harper (DL), Polanco, Solarte

P - Bailey, Cain, Doolittle, Iwakuma, Kluber, Lynn, Quintana, Samardzija
Bench - De La Rosa, Holland (DL), Janssen, Kuroda, Liriano, Porcello, Smyly, Syndergaard (M)

#11 crazybob60

crazybob60

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

So are there any indications or reports as to when/if the Astros may call him back up?
14 Team League, H2H, Points Based System (Daily Lineup Changes)
Can Roster 10 SP's, Max 2 SP pickups per week

C: Travis d'Arnaud
1B: Freddie Freeman
2B: Brandon Phillips
SS: Jordy Mercer
3B: David Wright
IF: Mark Teixeira
OF: Giancarlo Stanton, Melky Cabrera, Josh Hamilton, Christian Yelich
DH: Mike Napoli, Martin Prado
BN: Derek Jeter
DL: Troy Tulowitzki

SP: Clayton Kershaw, Travis Wood, Aaron Harang, Tim Hudson, AJ Burnett, Wei-Yin Chen, Jeremy Hellickson, Alfredo Simon, Ricky Nolasco, T.J. House
RP: Aroldis Chapman, Huston Street, Santiago Casilla
DL: Yu Darvish

#12 JoeSas

JoeSas

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

As expected Jarred Cosart will be recalled to start Tuesday, Bo Porter said. He is the Astros No. 5 starter.

Great news for dynasty owners because Cosart shouldn't be owned in mixed leagues until he can string together a couple of good starts.

Rotoinfo
12-team 5x5 Rotisserie league

C - Mesoraco
1B - Puljos
2B - Kipnis
3B - Donaldson
SS - Hanley
OF - Stanton, Calhoun, Blackmon, DeAza, Betts
UTIL - D. Ortiz, Wong
BN- Raji Davis, Xander
DL-

SP - Strasburg, Fister, Fiers, Wood, Santana
RP - Storen, Allen
BN - Ventura, Paxton, Cole,

#13 cornerback

cornerback

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

so he will stay up the rest of the season?

#14 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,087 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

Cosart's stat line is looking pretty decent for his 2nd career start against Oakland.

6 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K.

I haven't really seen this kid pitch yet, but his 1st two starts of his career are looking good right now. How do you guys feel about him for the rest of the year? I know he pitches for the Astros and they stink, but his first two starts look decent. Thoughts?
Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#15 mingusamongus

mingusamongus

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

I watched him pitch his last inning of last night's game. He was doing a good job of keeping the ball down in the zone (and yielded a start-saving double play), had some good movement on his curveball. He should be able to put up some decent ERA/K numbers moving forward.

The bad: He pitches on a crappy team with a less than stellar bullpen so wins will be hard to come by. He has a history of command issues so his WHIP may be on the high side, and he may have a few blow-up starts. Also, Brad Peacock is tearing it up in AAA right now and already on the 40-man roster so Cosart's leash isn't infinitely long.

#16 jeffcarroll23

jeffcarroll23

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Is he going to be up the rest of the year? Just by looking at the box score from last night it looks like he pitched good.

#17 bmay

bmay

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

Is he going to be up the rest of the year? Just by looking at the box score from last night it looks like he pitched good.

5 BB's? Ya, okay.
14-team H2H Points League (weekly):
C - McCann
1B - Rizzo
2B - Cano
3B - Encarnacion
SS - Bogaerts
OF - Braun, Bruce, Hunter
DH - Seager
Bench - Beltran, Davis, Harper (DL), Polanco, Solarte

P - Bailey, Cain, Doolittle, Iwakuma, Kluber, Lynn, Quintana, Samardzija
Bench - De La Rosa, Holland (DL), Janssen, Kuroda, Liriano, Porcello, Smyly, Syndergaard (M)

#18 JPAsk

JPAsk

Rookie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

5 BB's? Ya, okay.

And 1 K. Up to 7 Ks and 11 walks in 21 innings. That <1 ERA is smoke and mirrors, and he's about to get blown up when a team stops letting him off the hook.

#19 canaan_ko

canaan_ko

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Anyone starting him against the red sox after that offensive outburst last night?

Yahoo 12 Team H2H Cool Basketball Keeper League

PG: Jrue Holiday, Brandon Jennings, Isaiah Thomas

SG: JR Smith, Danny Green, Grevis Vasquez

SF: Andrew Wiggins, Harrison Barnes

PF: Thaddeus Young, Terrence Jones, Markieff Morris

C: Marc Gasol, Tyson Chandler, Brandon Wright

IL: Jodie Meeks

Yahoo 14 Team H2H YES!!! And it counts!

PG: Mike Conley, Jeff Teague

SG: Wesley Matthews, K.J. McDaniels, Jamal Crawford

SF: Joe Johnson, Mike Dunleavy

PF: Anthony Davis, Paul Millsap, Mirza Teletovic

C: Kelly Olynk, Jonas Valanciunas, Stream Option

#20 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

12 BBs, 11 Ks in 28 innings. I wouldn't start him against any team, let alone the Red Sox.

"...and woe betide fateful curiosity should it ever succeed in peering through a crack in the chamber of consciousness, out and down into the depths, and thus gain an intimation of the fact that humanity, in the indifference of its ignorance, rests on the pitiless, the greedy, the insatiable, the murderous."

-Nietzsche