Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Cesar Hernandez 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

It's not widely being reported yet since the Phillies have been quiet about it but this guy is looking like the new Phillies CF after the break. He has played most of the year in AAA playing 2B but with the injury to Revere the Phillies have moved him to CF today and he will skip the AAA all star game so that he can get more work in CF during the break. Hernandez has hit .306 with 2 hrs and 27 sbs. He has also had a short stint in the bigs this season hitting .250 in 9 games. He isn't a stud prospect by any means but he looks to have a bright future and may provide 20 sbs the rest of the way if he is indeed called up right after the break to be a regular. For those looking for a replacement for Revere this might be your guy.

Also means Utley is unlikely to be traded

#2 overkill94

overkill94

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

I dunno, he didn't get a lot of playing time while Utley was out, why would he get the call at a less demanding position that he's not all that familiar with? I'm guessing they'll just go with the same configuration they had today - Mayberry in CF, Young and Brown at the corners and Ruf at 1B.

#3 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

I dunno, he didn't get a lot of playing time while Utley was out, why would he get the call at a less demanding position that he's not all that familiar with? I'm guessing they'll just go with the same configuration they had today - Mayberry in CF, Young and Brown at the corners and Ruf at 1B.

They dont want Mayberry in CF citing defensive concern. Hernandez is the first option if he proves capable and a trade is the second option. They are currently carrying three Cs and one will be gone after the break and its my guess Hernandez is the guy getting the call. I think its pretty telling they are making him miss the AAA all star game to get more time in CF

He did play a fair amount when he was called up earlier but at that time they were still giving Galvis a chance as well

#4 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

This is not the time nor place, but a certain former Philly who is hitting leadoff (or was?...) for Miami seems to make a lot of sense in this scenario, should they take route/road #2 and pursue a trade. I know Miami isn't dealing players off, but as a former Phill who had some success/resurgence playing with Manuel.... I'm just saying.

This is handy info though. I'm going to slot him on my watch list (Hernandez). I think he could be as speed-only guy, but depending where he bats, he could help with runs. I'm looking at him as an Everth Cab (last season) type of player... if he gets there. I'll keep my eyes open,.. I was actually pursuing Revere when this happened. (Glad it happened now, in a way!)
let your members encourage my suicide. besides, I kinda wanna _

#5 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,200 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

This is not the time nor place, but a certain former Philly who is hitting leadoff (or was?...) for Miami seems to make a lot of sense in this scenario, should they take route/road #2 and pursue a trade. I know Miami isn't dealing players off, but as a former Phill who had some success/resurgence playing with Manuel.... I'm just saying.

This is handy info though. I'm going to slot him on my watch list (Hernandez). I think he could be as speed-only guy, but depending where he bats, he could help with runs. I'm looking at him as an Everth Cab (last season) type of player... if he gets there. I'll keep my eyes open,.. I was actually pursuing Revere when this happened. (Glad it happened now, in a way!)

Juan Pierre hasn't been a full-time CF since 2007, and has played about 30 games in center since then. I don't really see him as an option.
SoB Tifo ~ AD FINEM FIDELIS ~ Bearfight Brigade

"Oh, you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the Union!"

#6 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

Juan Pierre hasn't been a full-time CF since 2007, and has played about 30 games in center since then. I don't really see him as an option.

This. There's really no real quality options for a team with a .500 record trying to decide to buy or sell. Ruggiano may be available if they want to overpay.

Edit: Just saw where Amaro said they will look at acquiring another CF. Not really many options out there so we'll see if it actually happens. I guess Hernandez is a wait and see at this point.

Edited by bravesfan4life, 15 July 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#7 RAEF715

RAEF715

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

pierre popped into my mind as well- understanding he hasnt played center in a long time, but if you've seen mayberry in the outfield, or ben revere try to throw a ball, pierre doesnt seem so bad..
but really, mayberry will get most of the time in center, but there is nobody else on the roster right now who can play center unless you're going to move Dom over, and nobody else to replace Delmon for defensive purposes or spell any of the starters right now, save the great Laynce Nix...
hernandez wouldnt be getting regular starts in center if he got called up, unless they had another issue and needed to play mayberry at right of first.
1 month to the 2013 us open right here at Merion.