1323 replies to this topic

#1 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,689 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

I was never a big fan of his in college, although I admired his athleticism. After following him closely last year, I was surprised to see how NBA-ready he was. I was looking forward to seeing him play a bigger role this season but the frontcourt remains crowded in Milwaukee.

Given the opportunity, this guy could be a fantasy goldmine. Playing just 20 minutes in Saturday's Summer League contest, Henson posted 19 pts, 13 rebs, and 3 blks. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who monitored his rookie season. His per 36 was 16.5 PPG, 12.9 RPG, and 1.8 BPG while shooting over 48% from the field.

I'm optimistic about his future but the Bucks seem hesitant to unleash the youngster.

#2 Travis_Fryman#17

Travis_Fryman#17

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

The Bucks should get rid of him so he can spread his wings, ala Tobias Harris. But seriously in the post Scott Skiles era I'm confident he he will get his minutes. Larry Drew is a young coach who seemingly will play young players on what is foreseeably a sub-500 team. Obviously the Bucks are re-tooling with Mayo coming in, and them trying to move Brandon Jennings for whatever. Illyasova will play some 3 which will open up 25+ MPG for Henson at the 4 and 5. I'm probably going to target him in the late middle rounds which may be overzealous as he may slip to the early late rounds, but that all depends on what happens the rest of the summer.
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.
- Charles Bukowski

#3 tremixt

tremixt

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

What do you mean Illy will play some 3? Where did you hear that from? I don't even remember Boylan sticking Illy at the 3 at anytime during his second half run. And that was for good reason.

As long as Illy and Sanders are healthy, Henson's fantasy outlook will always be limited.

#4 gsw

gsw

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Scott Skiles actually liked this kid aot and was giving him decent run until he got canned.  He may be in the worst situation now with that logjam.  Like I said last year, if he got the minutes, he could do some damage.

#5 Travis_Fryman#17

Travis_Fryman#17

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

View Postgsw, on 15 July 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Scott Skiles actually liked this kid aot and was giving him decent run until he got canned.  He may be in the worst situation now with that logjam.  Like I said last year, if he got the minutes, he could do some damage.

Skiles gave him minutes because Sanders hurt.

What's this big frontcourt logjam that I'm not seeing?
- Charles Bukowski

#6 gsw

gsw

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostTravis_Fryman#17, on 15 July 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

No, Skiles got fired on Jan 8, and the few games before that Henson was emerging starting to get 20+ minutes per game with Sanders starting.  Skiles actually started warming up to the kid then got canned.  The next game on Jan 8, Henson gets 19 minutes, then on Jan 9, he gets 18 minutes, and on the 11th, he gets 11 minutes. His playing time fluctuated until the end of the season where he got some of the garbage late game burn.  

The logjam comes in the fact that they have Sanders and Illyasova taking up plenty of minutes as well as some Gustavo Ayon, Drew Gooden, Ekpe Udoh, and Joel Przybilla.  I know those guys are scrubs but I'm not so sure the Bucks coaching staff will let Henson free.  I'd actually be happier with Skiles there because he is a type of player that Skiles loved and it was starting to show last year.  If he gets the minutes, he will be gold, I just don't know if it will happen.  There are way safer options in the middle rounds.

#7 tremixt

tremixt

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

View Postgsw, on 15 July 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

No, Skiles got fired on Jan 8, and the few games before that Henson was emerging starting to get 20+ minutes per game with Sanders starting.  Skiles actually started warming up to the kid then got canned.  The next game on Jan 8, Henson gets 19 minutes, then on Jan 9, he gets 18 minutes, and on the 11th, he gets 11 minutes. His playing time fluctuated until the end of the season where he got some of the garbage late game burn.  

The logjam comes in the fact that they have Sanders and Illyasova taking up plenty of minutes as well as some Gustavo Ayon, Drew Gooden, Ekpe Udoh, and Joel Przybilla.  I know those guys are scrubs but I'm not so sure the Bucks coaching staff will let Henson free.  I'd actually be happier with Skiles there because he is a type of player that Skiles loved and it was starting to show last year.  If he gets the minutes, he will be gold, I just don't know if it will happen.  There are way safer options in the middle rounds.

Don't forget Zaza as well. I agree, though.

#8 Travis_Fryman#17

Travis_Fryman#17

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

View Posttremixt, on 15 July 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

View Postgsw, on 15 July 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

Don't forget Zaza as well. I agree, though.

So they save face for a month or two and then unleash Henson when they are 10 games under sounds about right.
- Charles Bukowski

#9 aaa1

aaa1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

I love Henson's upside as a source of rebs and blks, but unfortunately I see him being relevant only to deep leagues unless injuries or trades happen in Milwaukee.

Definitely a guy Im keeping an eye on in the draft, if he slides past his ADP I will consider scooping him up.
10 team H2H (PTS, 3s, FG%, FT%, OREB, DREB, AST, STL, BLK), PG-G-G-F-F-C-UTILx3

#10 darkyume

darkyume

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

View Postaaa1, on 15 July 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

I love Henson's upside as a source of rebs and blks, but unfortunately I see him being relevant only to deep leagues unless injuries or trades happen in Milwaukee.

Definitely a guy Im keeping an eye on in the draft, if he slides past his ADP I will consider scooping him up.

It's really a shame that the Bucks apparently have big plans for Zaza Pachulia.  With the way they're handing out contracts, I sometimes wonder if they are paying players MORE to suffer more years in NBA purgatory (i.e. we'll pay you more if you stay longer with us!).

#11 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

I'm the Looks, the Brains, & the Wildcard!

• Moderators
  • 8,753 posts
  • Interests:Sports are awesome.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

I think when (hopefully) the Bucks fall out of the playoff race, Henson will be one of those late March and April fantasy heroes when he's presumably given more minutes than he can handle, that's my guess.  He could even be pretty valuable in a mid 20's minutes role, but who knows what the Bucks will do, it's never the thing that makes the most sense...
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

#12 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

I love this guy.  He helped me win my championship in the last week.  I was pretty mad when the bucks started signing patchouli a and other useless bigs.  I hope zaza plays 3 minutes a game.  And I have nothing against him.  He is not a good nba player any,ore tho

#13 gsw

gsw

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

Getting rid of Gooden was a good sign.  Hopefully he can get 25 MPG.  If so, I'd be willing to take him in the 9th and maybe as early as late 7th depending on my team needs.

#14 rayruuu

rayruuu

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

Had a breakout-ish season last year, here's a blurb from an ESPN summer league article that seems to think he will split time with Ersan:

Milwaukee Bucks (14.7 points, 13.7 rebounds, 3.0 blocks, .548 field goal percentage): Henson was dominant at times, and showed why he'll be half of an intriguing, yet ultimately frustrating timeshare at power forward with Ersan Ilyasova in 2013-14.

I don't think this will happen, but Henson will definitely have stand-alone value this year

#15 raps12345

raps12345

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

View Postvnmslsrbms, on 16 July 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

I love this guy.  He helped me win my championship in the last week.  I was pretty mad when the bucks started signing patchouli a and other useless bigs.  I hope zaza plays 3 minutes a game.  And I have nothing against him.  He is not a good nba player any,ore tho

those geniuses gave him 15 million though...they have to play him..

#16 deathrazor

deathrazor

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:07 AM

With Pachulia and Udoh there, would he still have value?

#17 HurricaneKid

HurricaneKid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

Udoh is out the first month.  Zaza is strictly for a backup for the injury plagued Sanders.

The problem is that Ers + Sanders is FAR better offensively than Sanders + Henson.  Sanders and Henson are both useless 6+ feet from the basket.

But there were some amazing rays of light last year and I will def be aiming for him.

#18 canaan_ko

canaan_ko

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

what kind of value or numbers will henson have if ersan isn't ready to start the season? rotoworld suggests that bucks will be starting the season without ersan.
16 Team H2H 9 x9 scoring (H, BB, K, OBP, L, K/BB, K/9, QS)
C Miguel Montero
1B Billy Butler
2B Ian Kinsler
3B Kyle Seager
SS Starlin Castro
OF Giancarlo Stanton
OF Charlie Blackmon
OF Mark Trumbo
Utl Carlos Beltran
Utl Asdrubal Cabrera
Bnch Jedd Gyorko
Bnch Kennys Vargas
Bnch Yadier Molina
P Felix Hernandez, Corey Kluber, Stephen Strasburg, Jake McGee, Brad Boxberger, Aroldis Chapman, Hiroki Kuroda, Cody Allen, Jacob deGrom, Michael Pineda, Mike Fiers

#19 Travis_Fryman#17

Travis_Fryman#17

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

Just start the John Henson era already. Why stunt your growth in favor of a gimpy stretch 4 who happens to be making a few bucks (no pun). I thought they got rid of Scott Skiles for reasons just like this. A frontcourt of Sanders and Henson is serious, and then you still have your 3's like Butler and Delfino who basically nullify Illyasova.
- Charles Bukowski

#20 nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

Having watched a lot of Atlanta games, Larry drew's system depends on having a big who can pass from the high post.  He also routinely changed lineups for matchup reasons.

Whichever big is the best passer will likely get a few more minutes.  Additionally, don't be surprised to see ilyasova at the 3 for a substantial number of games.  That could open up some minutes for Henson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users