Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

How do you host a FF draft party?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 Big Mo

Big Mo

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

A group of us want to get together (in person)and do the draft for our league. What is the best (and most efficient) way to do this online. I don't want to make a board or cut out names. My thought was to bring up the snake draft online and everybody be logged in on their smart phone/tablet/laptop? To me that would be the easiest, but I have never done this before. Better at somebody's house or at a sports bar?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,489 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

Hooters
12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
QB: Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez
RB: Eddie Lacy, Giovani Bernard, Mark Ingram, LeGarrette Blount, Jonas Gray
WR: Josh Gordon, Odell Beckham Jr, Roddy White, Vincent Jackson
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski

#3 smeeze

smeeze

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Order a draft board online. There's tons of sites out there. Order a couple kegs.

NFL: 12 Team / H2H / Standard Scoring / 3 Keepers / $$$ / (7-4)

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 R/W/T, 1 K, 1 DST

QB - Matt Stafford, Russell Wilson, Jay Cutler
RB - Lamar Miller, Jeremy Hill, Frank Gore, Ryan Matthews, Ahmad BradshawStevan Ridley

WR - Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones, Terrance Williams, Charles Johnson, Brandin CooksBrian Quick

TE  - Greg Olsen, Travis Kelce
K - Cody Parkey
DST - Dolphins, Colts, Rams

NBA: 12 Team / H2H / Daily Points League / $ / (3-1)

PG - Kyle Lowry, Kemba Walker, Elfrid Payton

SG - DeMar DeRozan, Pat Beverley, Dion Waiters

SF - Tyreke Evans, DeMarre Carroll, Harrison Barnes, James Johnson

PF - Kevin Love, Jared Sullinger, Ed Davis, Julius Randle

- Dwight Howard, Brandan Wright, Rudy Gobert

MLB: 10 Team / H2H / $ / 2014 Champion

#4 MUKerrNash

MUKerrNash

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Draft board is essential. It is why we do ours in person every year. FJfantasy.com has the ones the pros use. I order 2 every year. Excellent product. Stands up on its own.

Edited by MUKerrNash, 17 July 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#5 chriscarman

chriscarman

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Be sure to hire the hairiest dude you can find, put him in skimpy shorts and have him put the stickers on the board. Also, have everyone sit in a hot garage. Be sure to open the door and arrange the chairs so that the first six managers are sitting in the sun. Serve piss-warm beer and stale chips. And inform your other managers that since you are hosting, you won't be paying an entry fee. Also, collect the previous year's pickup money to cover your "expenses"

#6 Blu Exile

Blu Exile

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

A lot of beer & food. BBQ.

If you're doing it strictly online make sure everyone is hours early. Always some technical difficulties getting every person connected to wi-fi.

#7 Big Mo

Big Mo

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

A lot of beer & food. BBQ.

If you're doing it strictly online make sure everyone is hours early. Always some technical difficulties getting every person connected to wi-fi.

Yeah I really want to do it wifi. I don't want to order a board and mess with all that, this is 2013. Put it up on the big screen TV, with everybody in control of their own team on their portable device.
I figure if we have tech difficulties, we can say just screw it and get drunk. I have never tried doing it on a smart phone but I might do a mock draft to test the set-up.

#8 WalterWhite

WalterWhite

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Can't do yahoo from iPads or iphones

#9 chriscarman

chriscarman

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

If I'm doing it online, I need maximum screen real estate. A laptop maybe, no ipad. I have the biggest phone screen on the market and there's still no way I'd use it. Just because that stuff exists doesn't mean its the best tool for everything. Seriously, get a board with stickers. They're cheap. Half the fun of an in-person draft is giving your friends sh*t while they walk back to their seat after a pick. You don't want them all staring down at their screens like they're in a coffeeshop.

#10 TomisTerrific

TomisTerrific

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

This is an easy one.

Start a facebook group with everyone in the league. Get the ball rolling by asking what kind of food they would prefer on draft day. Get a keg and forget about taking a vote for it. Just do it.

Then, you will want to CONTINUALLY remind everyone to bring money to the draft to pay for it all. Determine the price ASAP so nobody mooches. There's always one...

You'll want some sort of big draft board. My commissioners buy the biggest piece of paper they can find and use yard sticks to make the draft boxes. They also take the pictures of each owners team and glue it onto their draft position. Really nicely done.

Lastly, and to keep things moving, you'll want to print out ALL of the position rankings from yahoo. This way you can cross off the names as they go and everybody gets to see the lists. The person on the clock has priority over all the lists. If anyone holds up the draft by re-reading the TE list because they didn't do enough research, be sure to have the 11 other owners insult him. Don't hold back.

Have 1 person write in the name of the drafted player with a sharpie for a nice, neat draft board. And remember: when the name is down, IT IS DOWN.

When it's over, have someone take a picture with the league members and your board and tag yourself on facebook. Get real drunk the rest of the evening and argue about the draft. Be careful not to make any outrageous bets. You will want to.

Boom. Another year in the books.

All my mornings start with the alarm clock
Every dream gets stopped before the end
And with each bit I remember, the more the details run together
And I'm left with a message I don't comprehend
I've lost contact with the great beyond again

#11 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

We do live auctions for baseball and football with my two serious leagues, the thing that sucks about football these days is that people want to draft as close to the start of the season as they can (Im a fan of earlier drafts, but as commish kind of have to roll with what the league wants) and many want to do it on a weekend night so they can party and not have to work the next day, but we cant get full commitment Labor Day weekend.

I realize that for the NFL its about getting eyeballs on the TVs and spreading the season longer so they have something going every month (Super Bowl in Feb) but when the NFL went to Opening weekend the weekend after Labor Day, it really hit the partiers in the mouth:

1. Fantasy Football Drafts - were always a lock on the weekends prior to Opening weekend when those fell in August. Always had drafts on Friday and Saturday nights one of those two weekends heading into opening. Now, the last several years, accomplishing it has become tougher.

2. Opening weekend Party - Not a very good look to go to teach school reeking as if you swam 10 laps in a beer swimming pool or showered with the new Jack Daniels shampoo and conditioner, so having big party days on NFL Sundays, most every week of the NFL season is a no-go (though the week before Thanksgiving sometimes is good for me) So in the days of opening weekend on Labor Day that wasnt an issue, we used to have a pretty serious opening weekend party, jockey box with 3 beer options, several TV's, NFL Sunday ticket, etc. Now? not so much...when they moved to the week after, the party lost its "cut it loose" mojo.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#12 Shyne1

Shyne1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

We do Buffalo Wild Wings every year, they supply the draft board and names, they have a private area u can reserve and they give u gift certificates to use within a year.

Edited by Shyne1, 17 July 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#13 WalterWhite

WalterWhite

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

Last year we had a BBQ dinner at a local restaurant. I even got Titan great Brad Hopkins to come out for the beginning. We coupled it with a fundraiser for a local school. The restaraunt have a portion of the nights proceeds to the school. We didn't have our actual draft but we did the draft order and set the divisions. Great night

#14 MUKerrNash

MUKerrNash

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

Hate using online apps like yahoo, espn etc. it's a crutch for owners that don't know their stuff. There is draft software out there you can use just use GOOGLE. Come on its 2013 why are you asking on a message board?

#15 BigOrangeScrew

BigOrangeScrew

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

To those of you who use the large draft boards (like the ones on FJfantasy.com), can you give me a little more detail, please? How long does it take to dig out the player name tags and fix them to the board? How flimsy are these things, do they really stand on their own? How far away can you sit and still actually see the board?

And most importantly, do they really make a live draft that much better?

#16 NYG1119

NYG1119

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

Hooters baby!!!

It's the best place to go...other owners get drunk and some get distracted by the view ;)

This year I'm commishing a 16-team PPR League and we are drafting on the 24th. 2 weeks before we are gonna do divisions and draft order so that everyone knows their position when they come to the draft.

2014 Fantasy Football - The Plague '14 (8-4)
ESPN 16-Team PPR Redraft

Week 13 Lineup (Starters, FLEX, IR)

QB: Luck

RB: L. Bell, Ingram, T. Mason, Sproles, Herron

WRMaclin, Marshall, Wayne, J. Brown

TE: Kelce, Reed

D/STColts, Titanswk16

K: Crosby

#17 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Hooters baby!!!

It's the best place to go...other owners get drunk and some get distracted by the view ;)

This year I'm commishing a 16-team PPR League and we are drafting on the 24th. 2 weeks before we are gonna do divisions and draft order so that everyone knows their position when they come to the draft.

I know a few years ago they were really pushing "host your draft here" stuff at Hooters, boards/room, etc. Is that still in play?
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#18 NYG1119

NYG1119

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

I know a few years ago they were really pushing "host your draft here" stuff at Hooters, boards/room, etc. Is that still in play?

Oh man yeah it's awesome...they give you like a rolling chalkboard sized draft board with the color-coded stickers to place. You get ESPN cheat sheets, rankings, and the latest magazine and the best part of it all is that they have a girl dedicated to your party and she puts up the names on the board for you.

Edited by NYG1119, 18 July 2013 - 02:27 PM.

2014 Fantasy Football - The Plague '14 (8-4)
ESPN 16-Team PPR Redraft

Week 13 Lineup (Starters, FLEX, IR)

QB: Luck

RB: L. Bell, Ingram, T. Mason, Sproles, Herron

WRMaclin, Marshall, Wayne, J. Brown

TE: Kelce, Reed

D/STColts, Titanswk16

K: Crosby

#19 dmb3684

dmb3684

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,267 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

We go to hooters for the banquet at the end of the year. The draft's at someone's house, food and beer are a lot cheaper there.

#20 lospantalones

lospantalones

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Anyone have certain songs that get you straight pumped for your draft?

I always start off my draft with 'Chariots of Fire' to get me in the zone.
10 TEAM 6x6 Auction Keeper - 9th Annual Delta Theta, Pi Kappa Alpha league
'07 Runner-up, '13 Champion

C- Posey(17th)
1B- Votto(3rd)
2B- Utley
SS- Desmond
3B- Beltre
IF- Rizzo
OF- Ellsbury(2nd)
OF- Rios
OF- Bruce
UT- Morneau
BN- Sandoval, Baez, Zobrist, Alcantara
NA- Soler

SP- Cueto, Cobb, Arrieta, Shields, Streamers
RP- Doolittle, Davis, Melancon, Mejia, Betances
STREAMING: RUNNING TOTAL/AVG: 95.0IP, 6W, 92K, 8.71K/9, 26BB, 2.75BB/9, 2.11ERA, 1.11WHIP