Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Dallas Mavericks 2013-2014 Season Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,014 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

Cuban trying to sell that it's a good thing when you totally fail on your 3 year plan. Hey, maybe it will be. Looks like a 7-8th seed and first round exit to me.

http://sports.yahoo....-161925010.html

Sounds like a rationalization or certainly an owner just trying to sell tickets.

"I think we've put ourselves in a spot where we're in a better spot than we were at if we got just the one max-out deal," Cuban told ESPNDallas.com during the Mavs' summer league game Wednesday night. "I think it'd be better shorter and longer term. I don't want to make that sound the wrong way. I think we'll be better this year because we added five good players or more."

"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#2 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Wasn't it originally a 2-year plan?

#3 TheOneAboveAll

TheOneAboveAll

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

It started when they decided not to re-sign Tyson Chandler and the other guys who were part of the championship team. Kidd and Terry knew about the plan all along and that's why they bailed out of Dallas. Watch them miss out on Melo and LBJ too. They're not the worst team so they're gonna miss out on Wiggins as well. They're just in a terrible spot and will continue to be in a couple of years at least.

#4 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Does anybody think this team is getting or will get better long term though? They have been trending down since they won the ship and they should hit rock bottom soon.

Edited by crazy47larry, 18 July 2013 - 08:38 PM.

I play fantasy sports

#5 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

Can they just trade Nowtizki? Send him to the Thunder for Ibaka and Jeremy Lamb. Hurts the Thunder internal D but their scoring would be off the charts. Plus Dirk as a 3rd option is just ridiculous.

#6 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

Can they just trade Nowtizki? Send him to the Thunder for Ibaka and Jeremy Lamb. Hurts the Thunder internal D but their scoring would be off the charts. Plus Dirk as a 3rd option is just ridiculous.

Dirk is still too good to be a 3rd option. Plus why on Earth would Dallas ever do that? Ibaka is a great complementary player but he's no one to build a team around or trade for one of the 10 or so legit superstars in the NBA who still has a few years left (his game, like Duncan's is very age friendly) as we saw when he finished the last 2 months of the season like 8th on BBM. Plus, Dirk will give them a home town discount and they will prob be able to bring someone else in.
How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#7 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,014 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

Dirk is still too good to be a 3rd option. Plus why on Earth would Dallas ever do that? Ibaka is a great complementary player but he's no one to build a team around or trade for one of the 10 or so legit superstars in the NBA who still has a few years left (his game, like Duncan's is very age friendly) as we saw when he finished the last 2 months of the season like 8th on BBM. Plus, Dirk will give them a home town discount and they will prob be able to bring someone else in.

I think that was some venting rather than a legitimate question. 3 bigger reasons why that trade will never happen.

1. Dirk hasn't asked to be traded and has a full no trade clause named Mark Cuban (I think he has a contractual one too).
2. Presti would never live down getting so little out of Ibaka if he traded him for a rental after essentially he chose Serge over Harden b/c of cost.
3. Most importantly, OKC can't afford him for cap reasons. Dirk makes 23 million this year.
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#8 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

I think that was some venting rather than a legitimate question. 3 bigger reasons why that trade will never happen.

1. Dirk hasn't asked to be traded and has a full no trade clause named Mark Cuban (I think he has a contractual one too).
2. Presti would never live down getting so little out of Ibaka if he traded him for a rental after essentially chose Serge over Harden b/c of cost.
3. Most importantly, OKC can't afford him for cap reasons. Dirk makes 23 million this year.

Wow, thats enough to afford 2 Ibakas.

#9 Izanagi

Izanagi

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

They're just mediocre imo

Which is not the place you want to be in this league
Saints,Pelicans,Sharks and Nationals Fan

#10 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

2. Presti would never live down getting so little out of Ibaka if he traded him for a rental after essentially he chose Serge over Harden b/c of cost.

I know, it was just some venting. I didn't do any research about the salary cap etc, but basically I'm just saying this team is not going anywhere in terms of playoff success in the next 2-3 years. Dirk's elite to very good window is probably 2-3 years at most. If Dallas doesn't get any value for him, then they will have to start over with even less assets. Look at how Boston did it with Pierce and Garnett. I feel they handled it very well and respectfully. In a way, I like how Cuban will be loyal and keep Dirk for as long as he is still playing, but for the franchise having such a loyal owner hasn't netted them more FAs, and won't help their long term aspects. I still laud him though. Just kinda venting the counterpoint.

#11 encircled

encircled

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:44 AM

#12 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk-kTaNOFI4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA

Edited by krupocin, 20 July 2013 - 09:55 PM.

How'd you get the beans above the frank!?