Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Draft Slot Central -- Which one you want, how to make an order, etc.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
105 replies to this topic

#1 mjb03003

mjb03003

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Most of us have a full month before our drafts will begin, which means we have tons of time to come up with draft strategies from different draft positions.

A lot of people will probably say #1 overall is the obvious choice, because you get to pick from any player you want and for 99% of people that would mean Adrian Peterson, coming off of his monster season despite being fresh off a serious knee operation. But if you take a step back and look at the other options, a case could be made for picking elsewhere in round 1 in order to get an earlier pick in round 2.

For example...

Many people are predicting huge things for Doug Martin, Jamaal Charles, C.J. Spiller, etc.. this year. We know from past seasons that the player who goes #1 very rarely finishes as the top player at the end of the year. If you can get a guy like Martin, Charles, or Spiller, guys who have a legitimate shot at being the top scorer this season, with pick 5 or 6 and be picking 4-5 picks earlier in round 2, is it worth it?

What about picking at the end of round 1, when stud backs like LeSean McCoy, Ray Rice, Trent Richardson, Alfred Morris, and a few others seem to be consistently falling. Or in some league, Calvin Johnson may drop to somewhere in the 8-12 range as most owners focus on stockpiling RBs early. Couldn't the case be made that landing 2 players of this caliber is better than taking AP #1 overall and getting a guy like Ridley, MJD, Forte, or Chris Johnson at the end of round 2 (if they are even still available)?

I'd like to hear what spot you guys are hoping to land in your snaking re-draft leagues, or what your strategies would be from different spots.

10 team 2-QB, PPR, IDP, Auction dynasty
QB1 - Peyton Manning, QB2 - Colin Kaepernick
WR1 - Julio Jones, WR2 - Steve Smith Sr.
RB1 - Matt Forte, RB2 - Giovani Bernard
TE - Travis Kelce
W/R - Ronnie Hillman
W/T - Keenan Allen
Bench - Derek Carr, Mike Evans, Michael Crabtree, Cordarrelle Patterson, Davante Adams, Ladarius Green

DB1 - Harrison Smith, DB2 - Kenny Vaccaro, DB3 - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
DL1 - Cameron Wake, DB2 - Carlos Dunlap, DL3 - Jadaveon Clowney
LB1 - Lavonte David, LB2 - Paul Worrilow LB3 - Ryan Shazier
D Flex - K.J. Wright
Bench - Kiko Alonso, Dont'a Hightower

IR - Paul Posluszny

#2 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

In any league, I wouldn't mind the 3rd/4th pick. In a 10 team league I wouldn't mind the 7th/8th pick or in a 12 team league, the 8th-10th pick. Out of the league I have already drafted I was 8/10 and in another league I'm 3/14 so I've lucked out.

Why do I want those picks? The 3/4 pick is to guarantee I can get one of the guys I want. There are 4 players in standard or ppr that I love. AD, Martin, Charles, Megatron. That's just a guarantee that I can get one of those players. I prefer the later picks though simply because I like the WR/WR approach. In my first draft of the year(team in sig) I was fully preparing myself to go AJ Green/Dez at the 8/13 picks if I had the opportunity. Megatron fell so that was even better and I had the option of Dez/Green in the 2nd.

I'm not a fan of those middle picks though. I don't have Spiller quite as high as others, Rice/McCoy have their questions, but I do like Lynch.

"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RotoWorld Mock Real League - 14 team, .5 PPR, 6 point passing TDs(4-4, 6th place)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Ahmad Bradshaw
RB2: Reggie Bush
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Mohammed Sanu
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Streaming
Bench: Jeremy Hill, Pierre Thomas, Antone Smith, Travaris Cadet, James Starks, Boobie Dixon

#3 ZidaneValor

ZidaneValor

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Get Pick #1.

Draft AP.

Trade AP for Doug Martin or Jamaal Charles (or your RB of choice) + X

Profit.

Edited by ZidaneValor, 19 July 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#4 mjb03003

mjb03003

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Get Pick #1.

Draft AP.

Trade AP for Doug Martin or Jamaal Charles (or your RB of choice) + X

Profit.

not a bad idea, but will the throw-in you get with Martin/Charles be good enough to offset the difference between picking in the middle of round 2 and picking at the end of round 2? It could be the difference between getting Steven Jackson as your RB2 or getting Ridley or MJD as your RB2, or A.J. Green or Brandon Marshall as your WR1 vs. Andre Johnson or Demaryius Thomas as your WR1.

At some point maybe you're just better off drafting Martin or Charles and pairing them with Green and Marshall. Then you don't even have to worry about trying to make a trade.

TE - Travis Kelce
W/R - Ronnie Hillman
W/T - Keenan Allen
Bench - Derek Carr, Mike Evans, Michael Crabtree, Cordarrelle Patterson, Davante Adams, Ladarius Green

D Flex - K.J. Wright

IR - Paul Posluszny

#5 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

#1 is a joke this year, it's not so much just AP, but you get the 1st pick in the 3rd as well in normal drafts, getting 1/24/25 (or 1/20/21) is just a huge advantage, since once you get into the 4th/5th rounds the level of talent is very similar.

Don't really see a huge difference between #2 & #9 this year, so after #1 I'm loving the middle picks, told my email group about a month ago that this was the ultimate "Tier Draft" year, being on the ends can get you shut out of those tiers and force you to jump on some of them maybe before the rest of the teams were ready for -- but this year picking in the middle you can just grab value pick after value pick in the middle of any run that's occurring.

Luckily, my big leagues use a 3RR system, so the #1 isn't quite the advantage since they get 1/24/36/37 in the first 4 rounds (don't get to leadoff the 3rd round, that goes to Pick #12 who gets 12/13/25/48 in the first 4 rounds)

#6 The Jesus

The Jesus

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

That's evil Zidane, I like the way you think. Something like AP for Charles and Dez/Green would be sick, especially if you were able to get someone like Demaryius or Julio at the bottom of the second.

On second thought though, the other guy would have to be smoking some serious crack to accept an offer like that.

Edited by The Jesus, 19 July 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#7 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

4th or 5th pick. like the AP trade. if you can get two out of it.

#8 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

That's evil Zidane, I like the way you think. Something like AP for Charles and Dez/Green would be sick, especially if you were able to get someone like Demaryius or Julio at the bottom of the second.

On second thought though, the other guy would have to be smoking some serious crack to accept an offer like that.

AP for Charles and Dez/Green?

Am I reading this correctly?

"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RotoWorld Mock Real League - 14 team, .5 PPR, 6 point passing TDs(4-4, 6th place)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Ahmad Bradshaw
RB2: Reggie Bush
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Mohammed Sanu
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Streaming
Bench: Jeremy Hill, Pierre Thomas, Antone Smith, Travaris Cadet, James Starks, Boobie Dixon

#9 The Jesus

The Jesus

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Sorry, that was a stupid post. My imagination gets the better of me sometimes.

#10 mjb03003

mjb03003

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Yeah, that's not happening. Right after the draft happens, you'll be lucky to get more than a 7th or 8th round pick as a throw-in with Charles or Martin I'm thinking. The guy who takes Charles or Martin is going to convince themselves that they have a guy who could be #1 overall and they aren't going to want to throw in a lot of extra talent just to get AP.

TE - Travis Kelce
W/R - Ronnie Hillman
W/T - Keenan Allen

D Flex - K.J. Wright

IR - Paul Posluszny

#11 ZidaneValor

ZidaneValor

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

How about AP for CJ Spiller and Roddy White or Percy Harvin? 1st for 8th & 28th?

Edited by ZidaneValor, 19 July 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#12 Roto4500

Roto4500

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

How about AP for CJ Spiller and Roddy White or Percy Harvin? 1st for 8th & 28th?

No. Please stop.

#13 cowbell204

cowbell204

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Would love the 1st pick in every draft this year. Take Purple Jesus #1 and hope one of Rodgers/Brees falls to you at the turn.

#14 ZidaneValor

ZidaneValor

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

How about AP for Spiller and Victor Cruz?

#15 scheibler

scheibler

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Guy in my 2 person keeper has AP/Megatron. Rediculous. In a redraft i like spot #4

#16 SilentSentinel

SilentSentinel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

I'm liking the 5 spot this year. I'm big on Charles this year, but if he's gone chances are Spiller or Lynch will be there. Your 2nd round pick is high enough to where you'll have good RB2 options like MJD or possibly CJ?K or SJAX available (Jimmy Graham could also be here), and in round 3 you have the option of taking another RB to fill your flex spot or one of the remaining top wideouts. Even if you go RB/RB/RB, there are still plenty of good WRs left by the time you pick in round 4, like Nicks, Jordy, and Amendola. Seems like a nice spot to be to me.
12 Team Standard (Pick 11) (4-2)
QB: Jay Cutler,
RB: Demarco Murray, Andre Ellington, Ahmad Bradshaw, Isiah Crowell, Jerick McKinnon
WR: Dez Bryant, Keenan Allen, Mike Wallace, Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Josh Gordon
TE: Jordan Cameron, Travis Kelce
Def: Lions
K: Matt Bryant
12 Team 0.5 PPR IDP Dynasty (6-0)
QB: Peyton Manning, Tony Romo, Austin Davis
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Lamar Miller, Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, Isiah Crowell, Terrance West, Christine Michael, Robert Turbin, Shonn Greene, Brandon Bolden, Chris Polk
WR: Dez Bryant, Michael Floyd, Percy Harvin, Torrey Smith, Allen Hurns, Brian Tyms
TE: Julius Thomas, Jordan Cameron, Tim Wright
K: Dan Bailey
DL: Chandler Jones, Jason Pierre-Paul
LB: Lavonte David, D'Qwell Jackson
DB: Antrel Rolle

#17 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

12 teamer I'd have to say 3-4 or 11-12. At 3-4 you can get a great RB and possibly another high end RB2 in the 2nd if they fall a couple spots or go with a high end WR1. At 11-12 you can take a high end WR1 and Graham...or if any great RB fall for whatever reason in the 1st round.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***
Record: 3-4

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Julio Jones (2.09)
WR2: Roddy White
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Robbie Gould
Bench: Calvin Johnson (1.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Big Ben, Carson Palmer, James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#18 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

I think the best you could probably swing would be like a 1st Round RB + 5th-8th round high-upside player. Maybe a QB if a guy drafted two goods ones.

AP for CJ Spiller + Cam Newton for example.
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#19 Singing in Dwayne

Singing in Dwayne

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

I like picks 9-11 in 12-teamers.

Grab a top 10 RB and then Forte/SJax in the 2nd...after that go WR RB WR in the next 3 rounds.

6th round if RG3 is there I may take him..huge potential in this slot.

For PPR you could end up with this quite easily:

RG3
Richardson/Forte/Murray
Welker/Bowe

Edited by Singing in Dwayne, 19 July 2013 - 03:29 PM.

12-team PPR:
Matt Ryan
Giovani Bernard/Rashad Jennings/Ahmad Bradshaw/Joique Bell/Branden Oliver/Jeremy Hill
Dez Bryant/Pierre Garcon/Roddy White/Andre Johnson/Allen Robinson
Larry Donnell/Zach Ertz

#20 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Also, I think the answer to this topic's question can vary greatly depending on scoring settings. PPR vs. non-PPR, return leagues, etc. The order of where key players get taken is reshuffled depending.
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)