Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Trading draft picks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Warno

Warno

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Hey guys,

In my league (still in it's infancy - 3rd year this coming year) we are adding the addition of being able to trade draft picks. It's not that it wasn't allowed it was just never discussed before.

I am trying to figure out if you guys do? And when you do what draft spots are you looking for this year?

I know it sounds crazy but from the mocks I have done I don't like drafting from the #1/#2 spots because I don't love the guys I get at the 24/25 turn.

If you were trading for the #1 what picks would you give up?

Thanks!

#2 RubioFTW

RubioFTW

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

We trade picks in my league as well. I think its a great idea to do so.

I don't really like the 2nd or 3rd round. I traded mine away. I like the late 1st, all of the 4th, and early middle 5th.

I have the 9th pick in a 12 team league, and its probably my favorite spot other than the 1st pick.

And trading for the #1 it would depend on what pick i had in the 1st

#3 Warno

Warno

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

We trade picks in my league as well. I think its a great idea to do so.

I don't really like the 2nd or 3rd round. I traded mine away. I like the late 1st, all of the 4th, and early middle 5th.

I have the 9th pick in a 12 team league, and its probably my favorite spot other than the 1st pick.

And trading for the #1 it would depend on what pick i had in the 1st

Basically asking what you trade for the 1st or 2nd overall (AP or Foster)?

#4 thomasfan54

thomasfan54

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

My league must be very similiar to yours. We have been together for the past 12 yrs and last yr was the 1st yr we have talked about trading picks (in other words a few have traded straight up in yrs past but last yr I had #1 pick and another wanted to trade me the 7th pick for my 1st pick along with trading differant Rnds. It was confusing to the league so it was vetoed to do that. So this yr we are talking about allowing this to happen as long as its fairly even. We all pay our $150 fee so why would we make the trade if we didnt feel that it would benefit us.

This yr I have the 6th pick out of 10 teams. I really would like J Chaarles and he may be off the board by the time my pick comes. I am looking at making a trade but not sure how to approach it and what pick do I trade depending on where he falls. I know by looking at Mocks QBs are falling big time. Well I can tell you that wont happen in this league, so thats why I am hoping Chaarles will fall to me. Of course we all hope but this is what I have been looking at in the 6 spot for first 5 Rnds (may pull the trigger on QB in 5th Rnd.

1.6-Chaarles (KC)
2.15-Forte (CHI)
3.26-J Drew (JACK) The reason I think he falls cuz possible top 5 QBs go
4.35-A Johnson (HOU)
5.46-D Bowe (R Wayne)

Last yr at the 1 spot my first 5 picks went like this

1.1-Foster (Hou)
2.20-J Chaarles (KC)
3.21-A Johnson (Hou)
4.40-P Harvi (Min)
5.41-M Ryan (Atl)

Needless to say I ended up also drafting Ridley (traded later n the sason for Wayne to replace injured HARVIN), drafted Vernon Davis (threw him n the Ridley deal to aquire Owen Daniels), and we worked in the Seattle Def in the deal.

Well I ended up losing the championship by 2 points on a last second TD pass from Kaepernick to SF backup TE on 4th and 10 from Seattle 25 to give me minus points from Seattle Def. Pretty productive yr I would say.

Anyway so I guess my question is where do you all think that Chaarles will go, and what should I give up to get him. Thanks

#5 RubioFTW

RubioFTW

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

I can't link because I'm on my phone but if you Google "pick value calculator football guys" they have a program that analyzes trading fantasy draft picks. Its not perfect of course but it helps you get a feel for it.

I would personally take Charles at 2, but I'm in the minority. I don't know how your league feels about him though. I would try and see how much picks 2-5 like him if possible. If you can't id suggest trading up to 3 or 4 to be safe. Nothing is worse than trading up for a guy and he ends up not being there.

Trading up in the first in my league has pretty much always involved swapping firsts and seconds, and then throwing in a later pick (depending on how much higher the other guy's first rounder is)

#6 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

Really depends on how much you want a certain player. Unless you can work out a fair trade while the guy is on the clock, if you wait until the guy is on the clock and ready to pick, you'll usually get raked over the coals in that trade, and that player you traded up to select really has to pan out in order to make up for what you lost in the trade.

Because no one is trading away a high pick for a pair of 5th rounders.

If you try to discuss the trade ahead of time, before the guy gets on the clock, you'd probably be able to get a better deal. Also, discussing it privately over email or something like that is more ideal if you're trying to trade up to a spot - most of the time, the guy you're trading with won't bother to shop your offer around if you negotiate it over email. However, if you make it publicly known that you're trying to trade up to a certain spot, now you've alerted all your other leaguemates that there's a player you really like, and now their curiosity / interest is high and they might try to beat your offer.

2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. RB - Adrian Peterson......(01.03)
WR1: Malcom Floyd...........(14.14)............. RB - Matt Asiata..........(UD.FA)
WR2: Eddie Royal............(UD.FA)............. RB - Juwan Thompson.......(16.12)
RB1: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. RB - Damien Williams......(16.10)
RB2: Eddie Lacy.............(01.05)............. RB - LaMichael James......(UD.FA)
FLEX1: RB Branden Oliver....(UD.FA)............. TE - Austin Sef-Jenkins...(UD.FA)
FLEX2: RB Steven Jackson....(04.02)............. WR - Donte Moncrief.......(UD.FA)
TE : Travis Kelce...........(15.12)............. WR/IR Marquess Wilson.....(UD.FA)

#7 Rixsta

Rixsta

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

We trade draft picks in my keeper league & I LOVE it, to me it makes it more like real football, Last year I traded my 1st & 2nd round picks (which are really like 5th & 6th rounders due to keepers) & I got J.Graham & M.Wallace. That turned into a Superbowl win. This year I traded R.Mathews & K.Britt for (2) Top 15 picks which should turn in players like V.Jackson or R.Cobb for Britt (ungrade there) & D.Wilson, M.Ball, L.Bell or L.Miller (should be another upgrade there too) Let's see if I can win another Superbowl with that strategy. : )

#8 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

I'm just curious why you keep spelling Charles' name "Chaarles"

#9 thomasfan54

thomasfan54

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

I'm just curious why you keep spelling Charles' name "Chaarles"

Well sorry I misspelled Charles. I didnt know that the question I was asking was about spelling. If Im not mistaken I asked the question in regards to where and what do I give up to get Charles? Have a nice day TEACHER!!!!!!!

#10 bwebs13

bwebs13

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

i would keep your pick, if you have the #1 or #2 pick.

i like the picks i get at the turn in my mocks when i have the #1 or #2 pick. You already have a top RB so why not either get solid RB2 and a top 10 WR? or get 2 RBS.

#11 keld

keld

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

We just started trading picks this year, and I took advantage. I have the 7th overall pick.

I traded 2.6 and 8.6 for 3.5 and 4.8. Then I traded 3.5, 4.8, 7.7 for 3.6, 4.7, and 7.6. I don't love the 2nd rounders and I feel like I got huge value for my 2nd rounder. The other trade was just so I could pick 2x in a row.

Ended up with:
1.7, 3.6, 3.7, 4.6, 4.7, 5.7, 6.6, 7.6, 9.7, 10.6, 11.7, 12.6, 13.7, 14.6, 15.7

I think you have to keep your 1st round pick otherwise your RB will be awfulllll. There's a huge cliff around RB25/26. So you really want 2 RBs within the first 4 rounds.

Edited by keld, 24 July 2013 - 01:01 PM.

ESPN, 12-team. 6pt all TDs including P/KR. .5 PPR, Bonuses - Passing: 300y (4) 400y (5). Receiving: 100y (4) 200y (6). Rushing 100y (4) 200y (6). 40-50Y TD (2), 50Y+ TD (3). Roster: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST, 6 bench.

QB: Tom Brady, Tony Romo
RB: Doug Martin, Le'Veon Bell, Zac Stacy, Toby Gerhart, Shonn Greene
WR: Randall Cobb, Victor Cruz, Cordarelle Patterson, Emmanuel Sanders, Terrance Williams

TE: Jordan Cameron
D: Patriots K: Nick Novak

#12 RubioFTW

RubioFTW

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

We just started trading picks this year, and I took advantage. I have the 7th overall pick.

I traded 2.6 and 8.6 for 3.5 and 4.8. Then I traded 3.5, 4.8, 7.7 for 3.6, 4.7, and 7.6. I don't love the 2nd rounders and I feel like I got huge value for my 2nd rounder. The other trade was just so I could pick 2x in a row.

Ended up with:
1.7, 3.6, 3.7, 4.6, 4.7, 5.7, 6.6, 7.6, 9.7, 10.6, 11.7, 12.6, 13.7, 14.6, 15.7

I think you have to keep your 1st round pick otherwise your RB will be awfulllll. There's a huge cliff around RB25/26. So you really want 2 RBs within the first 4 rounds.

Pretty good haul for the 2nd round pick. I don't like that round either. Although I like the 3rd round even less.

#13 keld

keld

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

Pretty good haul for the 2nd round pick. I don't like that round either. Although I like the 3rd round even less.

I'm looking at 2 of Gronk, Gore, Sproles, Miller, Julio, Fitzgerald as possibles in the 3rd. I know QBs will be drafted early in this league, so I'm pretty much hoping to get huge value on RB/WR in the 3/4 rounds. I'll probably have to take a Matt Ryan or Stafford with my last 4th round pick.
ESPN, 12-team. 6pt all TDs including P/KR. .5 PPR, Bonuses - Passing: 300y (4) 400y (5). Receiving: 100y (4) 200y (6). Rushing 100y (4) 200y (6). 40-50Y TD (2), 50Y+ TD (3). Roster: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST, 6 bench.

QB: Tom Brady, Tony Romo
RB: Doug Martin, Le'Veon Bell, Zac Stacy, Toby Gerhart, Shonn Greene
WR: Randall Cobb, Victor Cruz, Cordarelle Patterson, Emmanuel Sanders, Terrance Williams

TE: Jordan Cameron
D: Patriots K: Nick Novak