1085 replies to this topic

#1 aaa1

aaa1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

With news that he's the starting SG in Chicago, does Butler have any fantasy relevance? I remember he put up something like 15/5/3 with 1.5 stl and 1+ 3PM in the playoffs, though he was getting a crazy amount of minutes.

Will he be rosterable in normal leagues?

Edited by aaa1, 19 July 2013 - 11:29 PM.

10 team H2H (PTS, 3s, FG%, FT%, OREB, DREB, AST, STL, BLK), PG-G-G-F-F-C-UTILx3

#2 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

View Postaaa1, on 19 July 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

With news that he's the starting SG in Chicago, does Butler have any fantasy relevance? I remember he put up something like 15/5/3 with 1.5 stl and 1+ 3PM in the playoffs, though he was getting a crazy amount of minutes.

Will he be rosterable in normal leagues?

Unquestionable Yes! This guy is gonna be a under the radar stud similiar to Kawhi Leonard before he exploded in the playoffs last season.

#3 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

He will absolutely be rosterable in normal leagues. He was #29 overall in the last month of last season, and as long as Chicago keeps feeding him >35 minutes, he's a good bet to provide solid fantasy value. Personally I think he can easily sustain top 50 production for a whole season. I think he'll be getting drafted around the 6th or 7th rounds, which will most likely prove to be a steal.

#4 binhdvu83

binhdvu83

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

I also see him as K.Leonard lite, needs to step up the FT% a bit though bc they dropped a lot as he was getting 33min +
16 team (8-cat) H2H each cat $$ re-draft
PG: J. Calderon, G. Hill, N. Cole
SG: E. Bledsoe, C. Lee, M. Bellinelli
SF: N. Batum,  S. Marion, D. Carroll, J. Johnson
PF: D. Nowitzki, T. Duncan,
C: , A. Varejao, R. Lopez, A. Ajinca, J. Oneal

30 team (8-cat) H2H NBA dynasty league (8 players) 5th year
PG: J. Calderon, M. Chalmers
SG: A. Bradley,  F. Garcia
SF: N. Batum, C. Delfino, J. Johnson
PF: D. Nowitzki, C. Bosh
C: Anthony Davis, B. Diaw

#5 aaa1

aaa1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

View Postballsohard, on 20 July 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

He will absolutely be rosterable in normal leagues. He was #29 overall in the last month of last season, and as long as Chicago keeps feeding him >35 minutes, he's a good bet to provide solid fantasy value. Personally I think he can easily sustain top 50 production for a whole season. I think he'll be getting drafted around the 6th or 7th rounds, which will most likely prove to be a steal.

Wow, that's high praise. Are you worried that he might not get as many minutes? His playoff production of 15/5/3/1.5/1 was in 40 minutes per game. Do you see his ceiling being higher than that this year?

Edited by aaa1, 20 July 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#6 binhdvu83

binhdvu83

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:45 AM

Bulls lost Belinelli, Rip Hamilton and likely won't resign Nate Rob. They do not have much wing depth so I can see Butler playing as many minutes as Deng..36-40min range
16 team (8-cat) H2H each cat $$ re-draft
PG: J. Calderon, G. Hill, N. Cole
SG: E. Bledsoe, C. Lee, M. Bellinelli
SF: N. Batum,  S. Marion, D. Carroll, J. Johnson
PF: D. Nowitzki, T. Duncan,
C: , A. Varejao, R. Lopez, A. Ajinca, J. Oneal

30 team (8-cat) H2H NBA dynasty league (8 players) 5th year
PG: J. Calderon, M. Chalmers
SG: A. Bradley,  F. Garcia
SF: N. Batum, C. Delfino, J. Johnson
PF: D. Nowitzki, C. Bosh
C: Anthony Davis, B. Diaw

#7 encircled

encircled

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:56 AM

What about Mike Dunleavy taking some minutes off Jimmy?

#8 dotslasher

dotslasher

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:12 AM

Dunleavy will get 20-25

#9 aaa1

aaa1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

I feel pretty silly asking if he'd be rosterable now that I took a closer look at his numbers. He really turned it on toward the end of the year, especially during a stretch in late January and then again from mid march to mid april. Neither stretch was that long, probably about 10 games each, but I think the playoffs proved that the kid can play.

I also like that he played in all 82 games last year, plus his heavy run in the playoffs, that gives me faith that he can hit the ground running next year.

#10 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Main worry for him is that he needs a lot of minutes to get his numbers.  Good thing is coach likes to run his players into the ground.  Bad news is they get run into the ground.  I like him, big part of my team last year.  And he should be even better this year.  Although with rosé back he will take less shots and thus score less affecting his overall value.

#11 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

I like him a lot but I don't think I hold him in the same regard as most of the commenters above me. I mean he is surely the 5th option for the Bulls right? And off the top of my head havent they been a middle of the road offensive team at best. They rely mainly on defense of course, with Rose supplying the clutch. Playing next to Derrick Rose is much different than playing next to Kirk Hinrich and Nate Robinson (both good and bad, don't misunderstand when I say bad. his role will be easier but it will also be lesser). You know Rose is gonna get his. Then Deng and Boozer will be next in line (offensively anyways). After that I highly doubt Butler overtakes Noah on the offensive totem pole. His playoff line of 15/5/3 floated above just seems like a pipe dream to me. Sorry to poor cold water on everyone but it's just too good to be true to me. I see him a step below all of those numbers. Something like 11/4/1.5 with roughly 1 steal and 1 three. I definitely have my eye on him and would be more than thrilled if he proved me wrong, but I just think it would be prudent to temper expectations.

Edited by crazy47larry, 21 July 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#12 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

Butler doesn't need to be a primary option to be a fantasy contributor. His last month where he posted #29 overall numbers looked like:

39.6 minutes / 13.7 points / 6.2 rebounds / 2.8 assists / 1.7 steals / 0.9 blocks / 1.5 threes / 1.4 turnovers / .475 / .709

Rose is back. Hamilton, Belinelli, and Robinson are all out. Dunleavy is in. I can't think of anything else that will have changed this year. Considering that, I think Butler will be able to receive 36-38 minutes a game. His points, rebounds, and assists will drop, and the blocks seem like a fluke, but outside of that, everything else will likely stay the same, if not improve. I can definitely see him cutting down those TOs with Rose around, and his FT% is a near lock to improve. While I think it'd be unrealistic to expect #29 overall numbers from him for a full season, I think he can finish in the 50s.

#13 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:I like-a table tennis, a sun bathe, and a shoot dog.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

View Postballsohard, on 21 July 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

Butler doesn't need to be a primary option to be a fantasy contributor. His last month where he posted #29 overall numbers looked like:

39.6 minutes / 13.7 points / 6.2 rebounds / 2.8 assists / 1.7 steals / 0.9 blocks / 1.5 threes / 1.4 turnovers / .475 / .709

Rose is back. Hamilton, Belinelli, and Robinson are all out. Dunleavy is in. I can't think of anything else that will have changed this year. Considering that, I think Butler will be able to receive 36-38 minutes a game. His points, rebounds, and assists will drop, and the blocks seem like a fluke, but outside of that, everything else will likely stay the same, if not improve. I can definitely see him cutting down those TOs with Rose around, and his FT% is a near lock to improve. While I think it'd be unrealistic to expect #29 overall numbers from him for a full season, I think he can finish in the 50s.

While I definitely agree with your assessment that he doesn't need to dominate the ball to put up solid fantasy numbers, and I will definitely be targeting him later in next year's draft, I think 36-38 minutes per game is extremely high.  I mean granted he averaged in he 40's last season end and playoffs (he played a bunch of 48:00 & more when there was OT which is just crazy) but the Bulls were running on fumes last year.  Bellinelli is good but Dunleavy is much more of a Thibs kind of player, extremely reliable and rarely makes mistakes.  Hinrich is as well, and playing under Thibs he will continue to get many more minutes backing up PG/SG even though on pretty much every other team in the league he'd be playing 10-15 min/game, but he is a top tier defender for his position and doesn't make many bad decisions either.  I think Butler has much more upside than both of those guys but I just worry about him getting his touches/minutes.  He was played heavily out of necessity but he's still young and prone to mistakes and will have a shorter leash imo with solid backups this year.  It's alot easier to let a guy screw up and stay in with Nate Robinson and Bellinelli on the bench than it is with Dunleavy and Hinrich.  I guess my point is if you look at the Bulls this year (PG: Rose SG: Butler SF: Deng PF: Boozer C: Noah Bench: Dunleavy, Hinrich, Gibson) compared to last, it looks like it will be way harder for him to get those touches and minutes, even though he is efficient off the ball he was playing with an injured/absent Noah as well as no Rose which majorly opened things up.  I'm still drafting him, but I'm definitely going to be careful not to reach too high or expect too much.  If he goes where Kawhi did last year, he'll be a great pick.
How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#14 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

Thibs loves running short rotations and Hamilton and Belinelli are leaving a combined 47.6 minutes on the table. You're absolutely right that Dunleavy is a much more dynamic option than Belinelli, but even if he gets a solid 35 minutes of run, that still leaves a bit over 10 minutes left. Butler played 26 minutes last season, and as a young 23-year old who can do it all, I definitely see Thibs running him 36+ minutes a game. That being said, you're definitely right that Rose and Dunleavy instead of Hamilton and Belinelli (and Nate) will severely reduce the opportunities to go around. It's definitely a good idea to temper expectations, but if he can go where Kawhi went last year like you say, he'll be solid.

#15 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

I get the parallels with him and Kawhi both being great defenders, but if you look at their per 36 numbers, even if you compare Kawhi's first year when he played 24 minutes to Butler's 2nd year where he played 24 minutes, they are vastly different (as in 2nd-3rd round vs late round different).  I was really excited about his last year too since his numbers were bumped up by his minutes, but his per minute production just simply isn't very good (real life impact greater than fantasy impact in this instance).

#16 nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

I feel like he'll still get good minutes.  Having seen thibs willingness to play starters 38+ minutes in the middle if the year, I think we can count on a very promising 35+ minutes.  The difference between him being a top 70 player and a top 40 player really hinges on his shooting, in my opinion.  He'll continue to get his easy transition buckets.  He might even get a few more offensive rebounds and subsequent high percentage shots because that's what drose will do for other players in the halfcourt.  But he'll have opportunities to get open 3 point shots more this year than last year.  And if he can just get up to that 1 3pm threshold, he'll be providing crazy value in rare stats -- like a nick batum junior.

#17 Philzilla

Philzilla

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

I loved owning this guy for the last month of the season last year. Helped me win my league. I am absolutely drafting him this season. I don't think the minutes will be as high, I just think he becomes a better basketball player with the work he puts in this offseason and the coaching he will get now that the Bulls recognize he is a key part of their future. I also don't think Luol Deng comes back after this season making his a great target in keeper leagues.

#18 DZaak

DZaak

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

I picked him up as my 2nd last pick in a live draft last night.  Being a live draft, it's with strangers from the internet, so a lot of times you have people who don't know a thing and purely go by ESPN draft rankings.
#1 Serious league w/ friends : 9-cat, H2H, 16 Teams
PG: C Paul, K Walker, P Mills
SG: B Beal, T Sefolosha
SF: W Chandler, R, Kelly
PF: D Nowitzki, T Gibson
C: J Noah

#2 Public League - Live Draft: 8-cat, H2H, 10 Teams
PG: R Westbrook (O), M Conley(O), T Parker
SG: P George, M Ellis, B Knight
SF: K Durant, G Hayward
PF: P Millsap, J Green
C: M Gasol, D Jordan, M Gortat

#3 Public League - Auto-Pick Draft: 8-cat, Roto, 12 Teams
PG: M Conley, K Walker (O), K Marshall, G Vasquez
SG: K Martin, R Foye
SF: C Parsons, W Chandler
PF: S Ibaka, P Gasol, D West
C: A Jefferson, C Frye

#19 kgizzle

kgizzle

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

Looks like dudes are sleeping on him. Dealing with knee bruise but will be good to go opening day. averaged a solid 14.5 pts 7.1 rebs 1.8 stls and 1.1 3pts.

#20 shmito17

shmito17

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

He'll be solid late round value. But don't expect those numbers out of him especially with the minutes he played last year and now Rose back in the fold.

Edited by shmito17, 22 October 2013 - 09:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users