Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Jake Marisnick 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Hasselhoff

Hasselhoff

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

Just called up from AAA along with Yelich. He was hitting .290/.350/.491 with 12 HR and 11 steals...if he's got regular playing time he might have a chance to be a productive fantasy OF. Thoughts?

14 Team H2H PPR $ League:

QB: Rivers

WR: Wallace

WR: Michael Floyd

WR: Shoelaces

RB: Forte

RB: Murray

TE: Gronk

WR/TE: Gates

Flex: Mckinnon

K: Novak

Bench: Romo/McFadden/M. Evans/Antone Smith/J. Gordon/J. Landry

#2 connorcandela

connorcandela

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

I just added him. I think they will start him, Yelich and Stanton most of the time and with his speed he is worth a grab iMO. Then again I'm a Marlins fan so I'm just really excited.
H2H 12 team 10 player keeper

C Miguel Montero
1B Justin Morneau
2B Asdrubal Cabrera
3B Nolan Arenado
SS Ian Desmond
OF Billy Hamilton
OF Bryce Harper
OF Yasiel Puig
UTIL Jorge Soler
BN Austin jackson
DL Carlos Gonzalez
SP DL Michael Wacha, Alex Wood, Rick Porcello, Tyson Ross, Tim Hudson
RP Greg Holland, Casey Jansen, Rafael Soriano, Zach Britton

#3 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

He'll be playing a lot in center and Yelich will play in left. I picked Marisnick up in a couple 20 teamers, but my expectations are really tempered. There's been a lot of varying opinions among scouts over the years on Marisnick. Some really like him and others see his bat as being pretty weak at the MLB level. Pick him up in deeper leagues, but keep expectations pretty low.

#4 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

Yelich is going to get all the press in MIA for being called up, but don't sleep on Marisnick.
Was great in 2011 with a .320 BA / 14 HRs / 37 SB.
Last year was a bust and this year didn't start off great because he missed the first month with a broken hand and when he did return he got off to a terrible start. After the slow start his season avg is really strong to the tune of: .289 BA / 12 HR / 11 SB in only 70 games.
Marisnick is known as a strong defender with the potential of many 20/20 seasons. Main knock is that he strikes out a bit too much.
I think Marisnick should be picked up in dynasty leagues and deep mixed leagues. Keep a close eye on him in regular redraft leagues.
He's so good that his nickname is Murda Mars.....

Ok, i just made up the nickname part :)
14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Evan Gattis / 1b - Edwin Encarnacion / 2b - Danny Santana / 3b - Todd Frazier / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, Charlie Blackmon, Kendrys Morales
Bench - Devin Mesoraco, Alex Guerrero
NA - Kris Bryant, Joc Pederson
DL - George Springer

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP - Kenley Jansen, Zach Britton, Luke Gregerson
P -   Bryan Shaw, Jake Petricka, JP Howell, Mike Fiers
Bench - Alex Wood, Chris Archer, Danny Duffy, Jacob, deGrom, Jimmy Nelson, Kyle Hendricks, Carlos Carrasco

#5 asianflyer77

asianflyer77

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:25 PM

watch him put up better stats then Yelich

#6 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:25 PM

He'll be playing a lot in center and Yelich will play in left. I picked Marisnick up in a couple 20 teamers, but my expectations are really tempered. There's been a lot of varying opinions among scouts over the years on Marisnick. Some really like him and others see his bat as being pretty weak at the MLB level. Pick him up in deeper leagues, but keep expectations pretty low.

Very true on the scouting reports over the year. I've seen Marisnick ranked as high as 40 range and low as 100 range. Some scouts think he has the upside to become Matt Holiday w/ some speed (please don't kill me for the comparison, it's just what i've read and I'm sure that writer was talking about absolute ceiling), others hate his swing.
MIA offense sucks but if Mars bats leadoff, hitting in front of Yelich and Stanton can't be all that bad.
14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Evan Gattis / 1b - Edwin Encarnacion / 2b - Danny Santana / 3b - Todd Frazier / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, Charlie Blackmon, Kendrys Morales
Bench - Devin Mesoraco, Alex Guerrero
NA - Kris Bryant, Joc Pederson
DL - George Springer

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP - Kenley Jansen, Zach Britton, Luke Gregerson
P -   Bryan Shaw, Jake Petricka, JP Howell, Mike Fiers
Bench - Alex Wood, Chris Archer, Danny Duffy, Jacob, deGrom, Jimmy Nelson, Kyle Hendricks, Carlos Carrasco

#7 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

watch him put up better stats then Yelich

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he did. Marisnick is a pretty great talent too.
Bring back Ray!

#8 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

Very true on the scouting reports over the year. I've seen Marisnick ranked as high as 40 range and low as 100 range. Some scouts think he has the upside to become Matt Holiday w/ some speed (please don't kill me for the comparison, it's just what i've read and I'm sure that writer was talking about absolute ceiling), others hate his swing.
MIA offense sucks but if Mars bats leadoff, hitting in front of Yelich and Stanton can't be all that bad.

He's definitely worth a bid or pickup in deeper mixed or NL only leagues. I can see .250/.310/.410 or so with 5-7 homers and 5-7 steals the rest of the way. Modest, but worth rostering in deeper formats for sure.

#9 zizi

zizi

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

I picked him up over Yelich due to good numbers vs both righties and lefties. He also seems to be a better base stealer. Will be interesting watching them both as they should both start, at least for a week or so.

#10 blangtang

blangtang

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:19 AM

So...this year's Ruggiano?

#11 And Won

And Won

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

Anyone with power/speed combo like Marisnick is interesting for fantasy purposes. We just have to see how many starts a week he'll see platooning(?) with Ruggiano.

Ozuna being sent down makes things a little simpler but we will see. Personally I don't see the point of calling him up if he isn't going to start. They don't have a DH as an NL team, so someone is getting benched. It's illogical IMO to think Marisnick will be the one on the bench.

Edited by And Won, 23 July 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#12 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Anyone with power/speed combo like Marisnick is interesting for fantasy purposed. We just have to see how many starts a week he'll see platooning(?) with Ruggiano.

Ozuna being sent down makes things a little simpler but we will see. Personally I don't see the point of calling him up if he isn't going to start. They don't have a DH as an NL team, so someone is getting benched. It's illogical IMO to think Marisnick will be the one on the bench.

He's not going to platoon.

#13 And Won

And Won

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Anyone with power/speed combo like Marisnick is interesting for fantasy purposed. We just have to see how many starts a week he'll see platooning(?) with Ruggiano.

He's not going to platoon.

Thanks.

#14 RenegadeGM

RenegadeGM

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

What the Marlins should do is try dealing both Pierre and Ruggiano and just playing Marisnick/Yelich/Stanton every day, with Ozuna as the 4th OF. Pierre may draw interest as a backup OF/pinch runner from a contender and Ruggiano can be a useful bench bat to a contender as well. Plus, Ruggiano is arbitration eligible in the offseason and probably doesn't fit into their plans long-term.

The only argument against that would be Ozuna is probably better off getting regular ABs in the minors instead of sitting the bench in Miami. They could keep Coghlan around for that role instead then.

#15 wideopen21

wideopen21

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

What the Marlins should do is try dealing both Pierre and Ruggiano and just playing Marisnick/Yelich/Stanton every day, with Ozuna as the 4th OF. Pierre may draw interest as a backup OF/pinch runner from a contender and Ruggiano can be a useful bench bat to a contender as well. Plus, Ruggiano is arbitration eligible in the offseason and probably doesn't fit into their plans long-term.

The only argument against that would be Ozuna is probably better off getting regular ABs in the minors instead of sitting the bench in Miami. They could keep Coghlan around for that role instead then.

I think they want to give their young kids everyday at bats which is why they sent down Ozuna. Sure Ozuna has earned the right to at least be a 4th OFer on the Marlins, but the Marlins want him playing everyday and they know that he won't get enough At Bats sitting behind Yelich and Marisnick.

#16 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

I've seen that they sent Ozuna down to avoid Super-2 status, which might make some sense. I don't know much about that, though. I believe it's 100 some days of service time and Ozuna has played in 70 games (+ the days he hasn't played).

#17 2445ricardo

2445ricardo

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

While I think Yelich is the better long-term prospect, I feel like Marisnick can be the bigger impact bat this year. He's also supposed to have a higher power/speed ceiling than Yelich, FWIW....

#18 imnottheonly

imnottheonly

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

While I think Yelich is the better long-term prospect, I feel like Marisnick can be the bigger impact bat this year. He's also supposed to have a higher power/speed ceiling than Yelich, FWIW....

I am not sure the Yelich is the better long term prospect. I think Yelich has the skills to be better for the next few years than Marisnick. Marisnick's calling card is great tools but he doesn't have fully refined skills yet. He needs to work on his plate discipline and contact skills. The appeal for Marisnick is because he is such a good athlete if he can ever really put his tools to work he has a tremendous ceiling. One that is probably higher than Yelich. That said Yelich has much better skills at this point and his floor is alot higher at this point.

Yelich is the smarter long term play but Marisnick is the definite lottery ticket. I could really see him as a guy who struggles mightly for a two seasons and then it all falls in to place down the road.
6x6 H2H 12 Team Dynasty (OBP/QS)
2014- League Champion
C- Brian McCann, Evan Gattis
1B- Eric Hosmer , Miguel Cabrera (3B)
2B- Anthony Rendon, Dustin Ackley
SS- Jurickson Profar(DL), Alcides Escobar
3B- Nolan Arenado
OF- Cargo (DL), Alex Gordon, Jason Heyward, Michael Brantley, Marcell Ozuna, Oswaldo Arcia

SP- Cole Hamels , Yordano Ventura, Jordan Zimmerman,Kevin Gausman, Homer Bailey (DL), James Paxton, Zack Wheeler, Alex Wood
RP- Drew Storen, Kenley Jansen,Cody Allen,

Farm Team- Carson Kelly, Maikel Franco, Matt Wisler, Lucas Sims, Raimel Tapia, Franklin Barretto, Nick Williams, J.P. Crawford, Jesse Winker

#19 2445ricardo

2445ricardo

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

He's also supposed to be the best defensive OFer of the bunch which should give him a little bit of a longer leash should he struggle at some point, which he almost surely will.

#20 Hasselhoff

Hasselhoff

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

0/14 with no walks to start his career...that looks great in my stattracker so far this week :lol:

14 Team H2H PPR $ League:

QB: Rivers

WR: Wallace

WR: Michael Floyd

WR: Shoelaces

RB: Forte

RB: Murray

TE: Gronk

WR/TE: Gates

Flex: Mckinnon

K: Novak

Bench: Romo/McFadden/M. Evans/Antone Smith/J. Gordon/J. Landry