686 replies to this topic

#1 aaa1

aaa1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:13 AM

What do you think about Gordon Hayward's fantasy prospects as the starting SF in Utah? I've never been a big fan, but the opportunity intrigues me. One thing I like is his ability to hit the three, he made 1.4 in 28 minutes per game, but more impressively he shot 41.5% from beyond the arc.

Projections? I think we could see something like: 16pts, 2 treys, 4 rebs, 4 ast, 1 stl. That's a pretty decent line depending on where you can get him in the draft.
10 team H2H (PTS, 3s, FG%, FT%, OREB, DREB, AST, STL, BLK), PG-G-G-F-F-C-UTILx3

#2 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

I was a doubter last year, but he really showed me.  One of the right moves my main opponent made against me.  He should get a decent amount of shots this year.  Will Mo be back?  That's a big factor for him too.  Favors should take less shots than Millsap, and the same for Kanter.  I think his scoring could go from 17-20 pts.  17 being the safer bet.  
I think baseline 17 - 1.5 - 3 - 3 - .8
Optimal 20 - 2 - 4 - 4 - 1
He's a solid player, and I wouldn't overlook him on draft day.  89th ranked player last year by average in 9 cat, which would be 8th round value.  He will be gone before that this year.

#3 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

For all the hoopla being directed at Favors and Kanter, I think people are underestimating the impact of the departure of Millsap and Jefferson on Hayward. There's a lot more touches to be had on the offensive end, and despite their skills, I seriously doubt two youngsters are going to step right in and fully replace the usage of Millsap and Jefferson (particularly Jefferson - pass the ball to him and you'll never see it again). I think Hayward will have a far more significant offensive role this year, which is quite important since he's always been stuck with an inconsistent 26-32 minute role in previous years. During the last month of last season where he got 34.7 minutes, he posted top 50 numbers. He's got a very versatile game despite his athletic limitations, and I'd be eager to pick him in the 60-70s. I'd totally understand if someone were to reach even earlier though. I must say that it'll take a near miracle for him to average 20 points though. Even 17 is a stretch.

#4 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:I like-a table tennis, a sun bathe, and a shoot dog.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

View Postballsohard, on 24 July 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

For all the hoopla being directed at Favors and Kanter, I think people are underestimating the impact of the departure of Millsap and Jefferson on Hayward. There's a lot more touches to be had on the offensive end, and despite their skills, I seriously doubt two youngsters are going to step right in and fully replace the usage of Millsap and Jefferson (particularly Jefferson - pass the ball to him and you'll never see it again). I think Hayward will have a far more significant offensive role this year, which is quite important since he's always been stuck with an inconsistent 26-32 minute role in previous years. During the last month of last season where he got 34.7 minutes, he posted top 50 numbers. He's got a very versatile game despite his athletic limitations, and I'd be eager to pick him in the 60-70s. I'd totally understand if someone were to reach even earlier though. I must say that it'll take a near miracle for him to average 20 points though. Even 17 is a stretch.

I don't think Hayward really is at a disadvantage with his athleticism, in fact I think he's above average for his size/position combo.  I just think we're not used to seeing guys that are basically translucent and 6'8" with solid athleticism.  I don't know why this is, but there are plenty of very athletic white guys in the NBA's history/present, but they always seem to be dark haired like guys from former Yugoslavia or Italians or Spaniards etc.  9 times out of 10 when you see a guy of Northern European decent in the NBA he's a bruiser and a big, or if he's a guard he's a pure shooter (I think of Novak as the prototype for this kind of guy).  I was going to say Kirilenko was one of the rare exceptions but Russians are more Slav's than Northern Europeans.  Maybe the Barry's?

Anyway, I totally got off track there, but I am loving the Hayward pick next year.  He has a game that is just built for fantasy, especially roto, and he's the reason the Jazz were willing to let both bigs goes beyond Favors/Kanter.  I'm looking at his post ASB #'s from last year (once the Jazz figured out there rotation a little bit more, they were a wreck all year though it seemed) and he put up:
Gordon Hayward (SG/SF): 33min/g - 15.1p 1.9thr 3.5reb 3.7ast 1.0stl 0.6blk 1.4to on 44%FG/44%thr/84%FT
Those are some solid numbers if you ask me, and those were deflated in my opinion but the lack of defined role and moving in and out of the starting 5 constantly since they liked him running the 2nd unit against better teams.  I would expect a 10-20% increase in most of his #'s.

Looks like he's starting his summer off on the right foot, too.  Posted today, "multiple sources report Gordon Hayward and Doug McDermott have been the stand-outs of Team USA mini-camp so far".

Edited by krupocin, 24 July 2013 - 08:13 PM.

How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#5 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

As long as Ty Corbin doesn't keep messing with his minutes, I think he's a great play.  He's like a slightly poorer man's Chandler Parsons.  Actually he is pretty much on the same level, dependent on his MPG.

#6 binhdvu83

binhdvu83

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

View Postvnmslsrbms, on 25 July 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

As long as Ty Corbin doesn't keep messing with his minutes, I think he's a great play.  He's like a slightly poorer man's Chandler Parsons.  Actually he is pretty much on the same level, dependent on his MPG.

I see him as equal if not superior to Parsons actually
16 team (8-cat) H2H each cat $$ re-draft
PG: J. Calderon, G. Hill, N. Cole
SG: E. Bledsoe, C. Lee, M. Bellinelli
SF: N. Batum,  S. Marion, D. Carroll, J. Johnson
PF: D. Nowitzki, T. Duncan,
C: , A. Varejao, R. Lopez, A. Ajinca, J. Oneal

30 team (8-cat) H2H NBA dynasty league (8 players) 5th year
PG: J. Calderon, M. Chalmers
SG: A. Bradley,  F. Garcia
SF: N. Batum, C. Delfino, J. Johnson
PF: D. Nowitzki, C. Bosh
C: Anthony Davis, B. Diaw

#7 Ax05

Ax05

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Gordon Hayward said he has been asked to be more of a playmaker this season.

The Jazz basically have a clean slate compared to last year, losing four of their top-five scorers from 2012-13. Hayward seems to be a lock to improve on his 14.1 points per game and his second-half 3-point shooting also gives him plenty of hope for a breakout season. The Butler swingman made 44.0 percent of his triples after the break and he's someone we're targeting in the middle rounds.

MY TEAM: 10 Team H2H League 9 Standard Categories (Daily Lineup)

PG- Jeff Teague,  DJ Augustin, Ramon Sessions, Kyrie Irving

SG- Victor Oladipo, Jodie Meeks, Kyle Korver

SF- Kevin Durant, Tobias Harris, Kawhi Leonard

PF- Kevin Love

C-   Gorgui Dieng
, Omer Asik

#8 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

I think Hayward's assists are going to take a real solid rise to around 4.5 per game. I see him handling the ball a lot this year, and added assists will only add to his already strong value. I'm buying, as I'm sure most are.

#9 teraken12

teraken12

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

8/7/8/3 steals tonight against GSW in 26 minutes. Burke had 3 dimes. Looking good and primed for a breakout.
3sus and the Trey Apostles, 12-tm 9-cat H2H two centers (11-5):
PG: Stephen Curry, Mike Conley, Randy Foye
SG: Wesley Matthews, Kyle Korver, BAZEDGOD
SF: Gordon Hayward, DeMarre Carroll
PF: Pau Gasol, Amir Johnson, Josh McRoberts
C: Roy Hibbert, Spencer Hawes

#10 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:44 PM

I believe this kid will overtake Kanter and Favors as the premier breakout star for the jazz this year.

#11 trazz

trazz

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:59 AM

hopefully he can produce near the stats of manu ginobili in 09-10 & 10-11... but with 34 plus minutes..
[size=3]14-team hth 9-cat $league 2013-2014 season
PG: John Wall
SG: Stephen Curry
SF: Gordon Hayward
PF: Derrick Favors
C: Jonas Valanciunas
G: Raymond Felton
F: Tiago Splitter
F/C: JaVale Mcgee
UTL: J.J. Redick, Harrison Barnes
BEN: Danny Granger, Jared Sullinger, Lou Williams
[/size]

#12 k1ng

k1ng

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Women, Weed, Weather.
    Basketball

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

What's his projected ADP?
12 Team ESPN League

PG Lillard, Rondo, Beverly
SG Beal, Waiters, Bradley
SF  Durant, Parsons, Carroll, Middleton
PF  Sullinger, Millsap
C Drummond, Dieng, Pekovic

16 Team Yahoo League

PG Rubio, Marshall, Bledsoe
SG Bradley, Joe Johnson, Roberts
SF  Hayward, Ross, Carroll, Harkless
PF  Millsap, M Morris,
C Love, Drummond, Dieng

#13 JohnWegther

JohnWegther

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

On yahoo Hayward ADP is in the mid nineties but he could go as early as 6th round in a deep league

#14 Donnie99

Donnie99

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

I like hayward's game. Especially that January month of his last season.  He is a notorious slow starter, so you can trade for him early in the season, then you can have a bargain after that.
20 team H2H 13-player 9-Category League
PG - Ricky Rubio
SG - Kyle Korver
G   - Terrence Ross
SF - Thaddeus Young
PF - Larry Sanders
F - Chandler Parsons
C - Andre Drummond
C - Josh McRoberts
U - Mario Chalmers
U - Brandon Knight
BN - Jason Thompson, Evan Fournier, Mike Scott

*Al Horford
-----------------------------------------------------
30 team - Contracts Dynasty League
G - Kyle Lowry, Jrue Holiday, Jerryd Bayless, Kevin Martin
F - Andre Iguodala, Mike Dunleavy, Tornike Shengelia, Thaddeus Young, Boris Diaw, Ryan Anderson
C - Nikola Vucevic, Greg Stiemsma, Brook Lopez

#15 teraken12

teraken12

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

View Postk1ng, on 09 October 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

What's his projected ADP?

On ESPN, ranked 113 and ADP of 106. Could be an easy steal as your second or third SG.
3sus and the Trey Apostles, 12-tm 9-cat H2H two centers (11-5):
PG: Stephen Curry, Mike Conley, Randy Foye
SG: Wesley Matthews, Kyle Korver, BAZEDGOD
SF: Gordon Hayward, DeMarre Carroll
PF: Pau Gasol, Amir Johnson, Josh McRoberts
C: Roy Hibbert, Spencer Hawes

#16 DresdenCodex

DresdenCodex

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

Christ, I just picked him up off the WW in one of my leagues. Used my wavier position on him, but I was last anyway (got first pick), so he was basically free, lol. I guess everybody is asleep until the season starts.
Toooooooo many teams.

#17 wildcat62

wildcat62

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

& you got a steal.

#18 jimboftw

jimboftw

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

I would def. try to target him this year. I love the hustle and defense this kid brings every game. Whats not to like ? Depending on how much of a green light he gets on the offense end I view him as a Nic Batum type player.
12 team H2H 9 cat
Championship week begins 3/31

PG: MCW,  , D.Collison , I.Thomas , G.Vasquez
SG/SF : N.Batum , K.Leonard , Klay Thompson , G.Hayward ,
PF, C : Anthony Davis  , Demarre Carroll, S.Hawes, G.Dieng
Util:  J.J. Redick

#19 DZaak

DZaak

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

I got him in the 80's in a public draft (see team#2 in my sig).  To be honest, I think he can go in the low 100's if you are doing the public draft against people you don't know... a definite steal.

With friends who are fantasy veterans, you may have to draft as early as the 50's maybe.  But 70's or 80's is a good steal.  You'd be really risking losing him though by waiting.
#1 Serious league w/ friends : 9-cat, H2H, 16 Teams
PG: C Paul, K Walker, P Mills
SG: B Beal, T Sefolosha
SF: W Chandler, R, Kelly
PF: D Nowitzki, T Gibson
C: J Noah

#2 Public League - Live Draft: 8-cat, H2H, 10 Teams
PG: R Westbrook (O), M Conley(O), T Parker
SG: P George, M Ellis, B Knight
SF: K Durant, G Hayward
PF: P Millsap, J Green
C: M Gasol, D Jordan, M Gortat