33 replies to this topic

#1 TheOneAboveAll

TheOneAboveAll

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

Very intriguing prospect. The only rookie to be selected in the Summer League First team and registered the highest vertical leap in the combine. I think he's the darkhorse to win the ROY.

#2 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

I was higher on him before the team signed AlJeff but Zeller should see plenty of minutes at PF this season. AlJeff could actually benefit him by taking a lot of the defensive attention away from him. He'll probably end up being a solid glue guy (FG%, PTS, REB along with decent STL & BLK) that will be eligible at PF/C.

#3 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:I like-a table tennis, a sun bathe, and a shoot dog.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

Very intriguing prospect. The only rookie to be selected in the Summer League First team and registered the highest vertical leap in the combine. I think he's the darkhorse to win the ROY.

Actually, it was even more impressive than that. He had the highest vertical for someone over 6'9" in the last 12 years or around that, which is really impressive when you realize the guy is 4 inches taller than the "big man" cut-off at 7'0". I really like his chances at ROY, not sure why his stock fell so fast just based on a few games. Clearly the guy has major skills. Always thought he was so much better than his brothers. Could be a good end-of-draft type pick, bc his only competition is McRoberts who he should beat out by at least Christmas time.
How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#4 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

He clearly has athleticism, but in game situations it doesn't shine through. I have read this, and saw some highlights on his summer league performances and he was putting up layups or shots working around people. None of the explosiveness. I am not sure how to describe it but he doesn't look comfortable. You can attribute this to him being a rookie, but that's just who he is right now. I have a feeling I am under estimating him come two years later though. Does seem to have good touch around the rim. Bobcats/Hornets need him to develop. Biyombo is a poor player, even if you are just talking about the defensive side (decent shotblocker, but poor rebounder, and not sure about his team defense).

#5 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,886 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

He didn't show the explosiveness/athleticism in college either other than on the fast break. In the half-court, his lack of bulk really hurts him. He can't post up true bigs and he isn't a good enough shooter to derive a whole lot of value off of the fact he can hit a 15 footer (he can just not at an elite level yet). Defensively, he's going to get in foul trouble against big 4's.

He was a very good college player who didn't live up to expectations. He got drafted for upside, but I didn't see a whole lot of improvement from his Freshman to Sophomore year in college that would lead me to believe we're going to see huge improvements at the pro level. Hopefully NBA coaching can help him a whole lot more than the coaching staff at IU did.
  • vnmslsrbms likes this

#6 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

How does that work? Does he just not gather and explode off the ground during postups? It's not like he can't do it. Easier said than done I know, but he's a NBA player, but watching his highlights was like watching a taller version of the YMCA.

Hope that he's not another flop of a pick by Jordan. Draft pick after draft pick wasted. I feel like they lucked out with Kemba as he's developing better than people expected. Rest of the guys were guys that were truly surprise picks. In ways it's similar (though much harder) than fantasy drafts, where people reach too high for guys they like, blind to the values in front of them. Over time your team suffers for it.

#7 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,935 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Not sure what to think about this guy, skinny white centers usually don't pan out in the NBA. He has good athleticism but I read somewhere that he has a horrific standing reach which can limit his rebs/blocks.
  • FritzLn likes this

#8 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:I like-a table tennis, a sun bathe, and a shoot dog.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

Not sure what to think about this guy, skinny white centers usually don't pan out in the NBA. He has good athleticism but I read somewhere that he has a horrific standing reach which can limit his rebs/blocks.

Lol good point, for a second I was like "no that can't be true you racist" but when I started to think of every successful white big of recent years, he was either jacked/massive (Gortat, Splitter, Pekovic, Brook Lopez, Marc Gasol, Kanter, etc) or not really a center (Dirk, Pau Gasol, Kevin Love, 1/2 of Blake Griffin etc.). The only guy I can think of is Nikola Vucevic, who I personally think is vastly more talented than Zeller, and even though they're both listed at 7'0" 240lbs Vucevic looks much stronger core/legs which is where a big mans strength comes from (this is why Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph barely have any arm definition but are 2 of the toughest guys down in the post in the NBA).

Maybe he can grow 6" and aspire to be the next Shawn Bradley? It's a stretch though (pun intended haha).

Btw, I googled Byron Mullens, bc to me he screams skinny white guy C under acheiver and can you believe that guy is 7'0" 280lbs!?!? He's built like a bean pole with Chron's.
How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#9 Tchaikovsky08

Tchaikovsky08

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

Posted Image

Big guys generate power because of their legs, eh? Let's take a look at Tyson Chandler's chicken-sticks.

I think Zeller is going to be good. Guy was touted as the #1 overall pick had he come out a year earlier; his measurables are off the chart; he's clearly a hard worker; and he has demonstrated impressive shooting range. I don't think Zeller will stick as a true center, and to that end is absolute ceiling would be in the mold of a Pau Gasol or, if he increases his range, a Dirk Nowitzki.

I'm excited to see what he can do this year especially after his dominant SL showing.

#10 TheWhiteMamba

TheWhiteMamba

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

He's the rookie who's fantasy potential has me most intrigued for this year. Other than solid %s though I'm not sure if he will help that much anywhere else, Al Jeff and MKG are good rebounders so I'd be surprised if he got much more than 5-6
10 team .5 ppr
QB: Stafford
RB: Murray, Ellington
WR: Dez Bryant, Roddy White
TE: Kelce
FLEX: Rashad Jennings
D: stream
K: Bailey
BN: DeSean Jackson
BN: Erick Decker
BN: Denard Robinson
BN: Martavis Bryant
BN: Ahmad Bradshaw
BN: Jordan Reed

12 team H2H Points(Rebs 1.5, assists 2.5, blks&stls 3, TOs -1)
PG: Kemba Walker, Jeremy Lin, Oladipo
SG: Wade, Avery Bradley, Courtney Lee
SF: Kobe Bryant, Draymond Green, Giannis Antekuonpo
PF/C: DeMarcus Cousins, LaMarcus Aldridge, Markieff Morris, Channing Frye

#11 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,935 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

Lol good point, for a second I was like "no that can't be true you racist" but when I started to think of every successful white big of recent years, he was either jacked/massive (Gortat, Splitter, Pekovic, Brook Lopez, Marc Gasol, Kanter, etc) or not really a center (Dirk, Pau Gasol, Kevin Love, 1/2 of Blake Griffin etc.). The only guy I can think of is Nikola Vucevic, who I personally think is vastly more talented than Zeller, and even though they're both listed at 7'0" 240lbs Vucevic looks much stronger core/legs which is where a big mans strength comes from (this is why Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph barely have any arm definition but are 2 of the toughest guys down in the post in the NBA).

Maybe he can grow 6" and aspire to be the next Shawn Bradley? It's a stretch though (pun intended haha).

Btw, I googled Byron Mullens, bc to me he screams skinny white guy C under acheiver and can you believe that guy is 7'0" 280lbs!?!? He's built like a bean pole with Chron's.

yea Vucevic is a good comparison but Vucevic has a very long wingspan. Anyways, I dont expect much for him this year even if he starts. Kemba/Henderson/Al Jefferson will be the core that is going to get the ball

#12 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

Yeah he's not a good Vucevic comparison. I think he's probably more like a Tyler Hansborough, who seems to be a whole lot buffer than he is. I know this is a first year analysis, but let's not be too tough on him and say he will bust forever. The NBA guys are alot stronger and tougher than what he's used to. We'll see how he and his short arms pan out. I mean, Yao had short arms and he did pretty well. He was much taller of course. Look at Kevin Willis! He and Yao are like the Black and Asian T-Rex conglomerate. He had a long career and was pretty good too.

LOL at Tyson Chandler's chicken sticks. Dude was super skinny coming out of highschool, and he still is super lean. His legs are about the same circumference (calves) as the starbucks girl. But it's the fast twitch muscles that help you jump, so that's why he doesn't need tree trunks for legs.

#13 Ajax

Ajax

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

Where have you seen him go in drafts? I was looking at him for round 10, but not sure if he'll be there.
Fantasy basketball junkie!

#14 Ax05

Ax05

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

Projections?

MY TEAM: 14 Team H2H League 9 Standard Categories (Daily Lineup)

PG- MCW, Elfrid Payton, Goran Dragic

SG- Nicolas Batum, Mo Williams

SF- Chandler Parsons, Kawhi Leonard, Corey Brewer

PF- Nikola Vucevic, Jared Sullinger

C- Roy Hibbert, Jonas Valanciunas, Chris Kaman

#15 TheOneAboveAll

TheOneAboveAll

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

9/6/0.7blk/ 47fg% 75ft% pre-all star break. Maybe they will give him all the burn he can handle towards the end of the season or maybe not.

#16 rotojoe

rotojoe

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

9/6/0.7blk/ 47fg% 75ft% pre-all star break. Maybe they will give him all the burn he can handle towards the end of the season or maybe not.

those are not very exciting numbers, even for a last-round pick.
Anthony Davis
Bosh
Klay Thompson
Rubio
Rondo
Brook Lopez
Redick
Gortat
Courtney Lee
Ben McLemore 
Oladipo
Michael Carter-Williams
Kanter
Chalmers
Jeremy Lamb

#17 TheOneAboveAll

TheOneAboveAll

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

I can tell you those projections are based on a spreadsheet created by a certain 'fbb expert' who is highly regarded.

#18 Johnnyapplebot

Johnnyapplebot

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,844 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

yeah those numbers scream "not worth the roster space" in standard size leagues
Fantasy Basketball 10 team league 11 cat league (standard 9 cat plus FGM and FTM)

Team 1

PG - George Hill, Mike Conley, Goran Dragic
SG - Wesley Matthews, Gordon Hayward, JR. Smith, Evan Fournier
SF - Paul Pierce, Terrence Jones, Anthony Morrow
PF - Blake Griffin, Markieff Morris
C - Brook Lopez, LaMarcus Aldridge,

Team 2

PG - Jeremy Lin, George Hill, Jrue Holiday
SG - Wesley Matthews, Kevin Martin, Courtney Lee
SF - Thaddeus Young, J.R. Smith
PF - Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh
C - Channing Frye, David Lee, Andre Drummond

#19 det_tigers

det_tigers

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:42 AM

Not promising so far and that's without Al-Jeff. I can't see him producing enough to actually hold him in my team.

What do you guys think about this guy so far?

Snake 6th pick - H2H 14 Teamer - 9 Cat (%FG - %FT - 3PM - PTS - REB - AST - STL - BLK - TO)

PG: J.Holiday - V.Oladipo - M.Williams 

SG: J.Harden - C.Lee

SF: T.Ariza - G.Antetokounmpo - D.Green (GSW)

PF: C.Bosh - E.Davis

C: M.Gasol - D.Jordan - M.Gortat

Snake 8th pick - H2H 16 Teamer - 9 Cat (%FG - %FT - 3PM - PTS - REB - AST - STL - BLK - TO)

PG: R.Westbrook - I.Thomas - R.Jackson

SG: E.Bledsoe - B.Beal

SF: N.Batum - D.Green (GSW)

PF: D.Nowitzki - R.Anderson

C: P.Gasol - K.Olynyk - E.Davis - A.Len

Auction -  H2H 12 Teamer - 9 Cat (%FG - %FT - 3PM - PTS - REB - AST - STL - BLK - TO)

PG: T.Parker - B.Jennings

SG: D.Wade - K.Martin - J.Johnson

SF: K.Leonard - C.Parsons - L.Deng

PF: D.Nowitzki - M.Morris - T.Jones

C: B.Lopez -  D.Favors

#20 Andrea9281

Andrea9281

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Interests:Video games, history, geography, fantasy basketball

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:27 AM

Definitely passing on him, and I owned him in a few of my leagues to start the year. Terrible players with limited fantasy value are getting notably more minutes than him (Tolliver with 24 to his 10 in the last game,) and I don't see any way that situation gets better when Al Jefferson returns.

10 team H2H points league:

PG Teague Lin G. Hill (IR)

SG Harden Ellis Beal

SF Hayward

PF Cousins Randolph Gibson

C Howard Olynyk Sanders (god help me)

1 stream spot

3x Champion, 56-3 lifetime record

**35 consecutive wins 12/30/2012-11/9/2014 (Ongoing)**

Add me on Steam if you like Payday 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Call of Duty: Ghosts, or video games in general! My steam ID is Lukin96.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users