741 replies to this topic

#1 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

Just read that he thinks he's the best player in the NBA right now. But Lebron is the hardest to guard because he is 6'8 280. Does that mean he either thinks his defense is way better than Lebron's or that he is more skilled just not as tall and strong. Not sure, since there was surely some words taken out of context. Will he be better/worse/same than his last full year? I think he will be better, given that he has taken the time to rest up and won't have to deal with the same issues some guys get when they come back earlier. That said, it's still serious knee injury.

He was never a solid first round ranking (best year was 10-11 before Boozer got there, and he was 17th ranked in 9 cat and 6th ranked in 8 cat). So depending on your league settings, you could see this differently, but in a regular 9 cat league, I'd say he is likely to hit 35% on 3's and 45% FG since I am assuming he has spent all this time off working on his shot. Still a drain on 3p%, but at least a little better. Probably a good 20-30th pick guy. But due to his name recognition, there's probably going to be some managers taking him earlier. What do you think?

#2 aliu603

aliu603

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

Where would you guys looking to draft him provided he goes through training camp 100% healthy. I checked basketballmonster and even in his MVP year, he ranked 17th in 9cat and 6th in 8cat. Anyone willing to risk their 1st round pick on him or do you only grab him if he's there in the late 2nd/early 3rd?

Additionally, what PGs would you still take ahead of him? CP3, Westbrook, Irving, and Curry could all go ahead of him..

Edited by aliu603, 24 July 2013 - 08:38 PM.

12 Team 1 PPR 6pts Passing/Receiving/Rushing TDs

QB: Aaron Rodgers
WR: Jordy Nelson, Michael Crabtree, Cordarrelle Patterson, Josh Gordon (traded for on 8/30/14)
RB: Arian Foster, CJ Spiller, Alfred Blue, Chris Johnson, Terrance West, Isaiah Crowell,
TE: Greg Olsen
Kicker: Brandon McManus
Def: Streaming

#3 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

Dueling DRose 13-14 outlook threads - love it!

#4 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Bump! - Let the battle begin!

#5 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

I'm in an 8-cat league and will be targeting DRose for sure this season. I think he comes back with a vengeance and will provide top 10 8-cat value. He spent a lot of time working on his jump shot and I expect his FG%, along with 3PM to rise. Coach Thibs is not afraid to give his stars a ton of minutes. He needs to be targeted more in the 15-25 range in a 9-cat league but I really don't worry too much about TO when I'm drafting in that format.

#6 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

Where would you guys looking to draft him provided he goes through training camp 100% healthy. I checked basketballmonster and even in his MVP year, he ranked 17th in 9cat and 6th in 8cat. Anyone willing to risk their 1st round pick on him or do you only grab him if he's there in the late 2nd/early 3rd?

Additionally, what PGs would you still take ahead of him? CP3, Westbrook, Irving, and Curry could all go ahead of him..

The only PG I would take ahead of him are CP3, Curry, DWill (possible career year coming) & probably Westbrook. Although, in a 9-cat league I am probably going to miss out on that 1st & 2nd tier of PG and instead focus on guys like Lawson, Conley, Teague, Lowry & Bledsoe.

#7 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

Can't believe it cuz I basically posted less than a minute earlier. I think he is basically a pretty safe second pick in 9 cat leagues, but he is low upside. I can see his pcts go up, but his hustle stats and assists probably are pretty stable.

#8 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Sources report that after realizing Lebron James is not just someone out of his nightmares, Derrick Rose quickly rescinds his claim of being the best player in the league.
  • vnmslsrbms likes this

#9 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:I like-a table tennis, a sun bathe, and a shoot dog.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

Derrick Rose is one of those guys whose ranking is deceptive, since it's pulled down by TOs. I know alot of 9 cat guys totally ignore TOs yet go by the 9 cat rankings, so in this case, I think Rose's 8 cat is alot more interesting for H2H. 6th overall is nothing to brush off, especially since if you take the best #'s in his career so far (his FG% has gone down as he shot more 3's, STLs up every year until his injury year, BLKs/ASTs have consistently gone up) he would be an absolute beast. I know that's totally wishful thinking, but he's so young the potential is there. I would definitely take him with my 2nd pick, even if it was early 2nd, bc I know he has something to prove and he seems to be healthy, but it is one of those pics that could just as easily hurt your team if he comes back at even 70% of his former self.
How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#10 keep it ONE hunnid

keep it ONE hunnid

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

Rose is full of himself, if he thinks hes the best player lol. Hes not even the 2nd best, let alone the BEST.

#11 jayson14

jayson14

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Rose is full of himself, if he thinks hes the best player lol. Hes not even the 2nd best, let alone the BEST.

So you want him to say what?? yeah I am the 4th best player, thanks for asking
  • patentboy23 likes this
6 x 6 Roto with added OBP and HR allowed
Realtively Shallow 9 team league(REDRAFT)

TBD

#12 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Supreme confidence, I like that in a player. He maybe deluded or maybe just saying it to get under the skin of Lebron.

#13 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'd say he could say he thinks he's the best point guard, which he arguably is (I'm not pro Rose in that argument either), but it's arguable. Saying he's better than every other player shows confidence yes, but also seems stupid. There isn't anyone outside of Rose's circle of confidants that would say that Rose is a better player than LBJ, except for some die hard Bulls fans (some of whom he probably pissed off by taking the entire year off, but that's another topic). That's what worries me more, his inner circle giving him false ideas and bad advice, than him saying he is the best player.

And saying whether you are the best or want to be the best is different. If you are already the best, then does that mean there's not much of a reason to work harder? I think the better answer (not saying I don't have the advantage of hindsight, but these guys answer these questions all the time) would have been that he wants to be the best player ever. That would signify that he is working hard towards a goal, not that he already is at the current peak. This coming from a guy who has sat for an entire year also sounds kinda ridiculous. I don't know why I'm being so critical. This guy seemed like one of the more likeable humble guys before the whole knee thing. Maybe he's just feeling insecure.
  • ballsohard and keep it ONE hunnid like this

#14 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

I didn't listen to the whole interview so maybe I'm missing some context. Does he really think he's the best NBA player as of today, outright?

He wasn't even the best player back when he won the MVP.
  • seeL likes this

#15 keep it ONE hunnid

keep it ONE hunnid

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

Just read that he thinks he's the best player in the NBA right now. But Lebron is the hardest to guard because he is 6'8 280. Does that mean he either thinks his defense is way better than Lebron's or that he is more skilled just not as tall and strong. Not sure, since there was surely some words taken out of context. Will he be better/worse/same than his last full year? I think he will be better, given that he has taken the time to rest up and won't have to deal with the same issues some guys get when they come back earlier. That said, it's still serious knee injury.

He was never a solid first round ranking (best year was 10-11 before Boozer got there, and he was 17th ranked in 9 cat and 6th ranked in 8 cat). So depending on your league settings, you could see this differently, but in a regular 9 cat league, I'd say he is likely to hit 35% on 3's and 45% FG since I am assuming he has spent all this time off working on his shot. Still a drain on 3p%, but at least a little better. Probably a good 20-30th pick guy. But due to his name recognition, there's probably going to be some managers taking him earlier. What do you think?

I always thought LeBron was around 260-265, but never 280 wow, if this is true I'm surpised.

#16 tremixt

tremixt

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

Lebron isn't 280.

#17 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,558 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

Lebron isn't 280.

He's well less than that. Julius Peppers when he played at UNC was 280 at close to the same height as LBJ. He was HUGE. Made LeBron look like Pau Gasol.

#18 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

Sorry I kinda upped the number cuz I don't think he is 250. 265 seems about right. BTW I saw the clip. CNN was the source of the interview, and even they did a little cut shot of Lebron's photo with a questions mark. LOL. But look at Derrick Rose's face and he was dead serious. Anyway I think I am blowing this out of proportion the more I discuss this. Was entertaining though. I gotta find something help me make it through summer league and pre season!

#19 lacit1707

lacit1707

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

I'd say he could say he thinks he's the best point guard, which he arguably is (I'm not pro Rose in that argument either), but it's arguable. Saying he's better than every other player shows confidence yes, but also seems stupid. There isn't anyone outside of Rose's circle of confidants that would say that Rose is a better player than LBJ, except for some die hard Bulls fans (some of whom he probably pissed off by taking the entire year off, but that's another topic). That's what worries me more, his inner circle giving him false ideas and bad advice, than him saying he is the best player.

And saying whether you are the best or want to be the best is different. If you are already the best, then does that mean there's not much of a reason to work harder? I think the better answer (not saying I don't have the advantage of hindsight, but these guys answer these questions all the time) would have been that he wants to be the best player ever. That would signify that he is working hard towards a goal, not that he already is at the current peak. This coming from a guy who has sat for an entire year also sounds kinda ridiculous. I don't know why I'm being so critical. This guy seemed like one of the more likeable humble guys before the whole knee thing. Maybe he's just feeling insecure.

i think you guys are making this a bigger deal than it is lol....someone asked who the best player is, he said himself....whats so wrong with that? if he was asked, who is going to win the championship next year..is he supposed to say the Heat???
  • krupocin, patentboy23 and J.T. Marlin like this

TEAM 1 - 10 Team 9-Cat H2H (PTS,FG%,FT%,3's,REB,AST,STL,BLK,TO)

PG -
SG -
SF -
PF -
C -

TEAM 2 - 8 Team 9-Cat H2H (PTS,FG%,FT%,3's,REB,AST,STL,BLK,TO)

PG -
SG -
SF -
PF -
C -

#20 seeL

seeL

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

He's the best? Flashback 2011 playoffs vs the Heat. Game 5.

He choked vs LeBron's defense. He choked with that all-important freethrow. He should win a Larry O'Brien trophy first before he even at least gets mentioned alongside LeBron's name.

Edited by seeL, 26 July 2013 - 02:34 PM.

"Lude enixe. Lude juste."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users