Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Streaming QB'scan it be done successfully?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sean-O

Sean-O

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

I think it goes without saying that a majority of fantasy squads generally stream defenses & even kickers.

I was looking at some QB rankings last night & it really jumped off the page on how deep the QB position really is. Not looking to debate ratings but wondering if anyone has thought about streaming QB's this season?

The idea would be to stock pile position players then towards the middle end of the draft grab a couple of QB's like Flacco, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Cutler, etc & just play the one who has the best matchup. Rivers vs DEN in a shootout, Cutler vs DET, etc

Does anyone think it could work? Or would someone even have the guts to try it?  

1. Drew Brees 2. Aaron Rodgers 3. Cam Newton 4. Peyton Manning 5. Colin Kaepernick 6. Russell Wilson 6. Matt Ryan 8. Tom Brady 8. Robert Griffin III 10. Matthew Stafford 11. Andrew Luck 12. Tony Romo 13. Eli Manning 14. Ben Roethlisberger 15. Michael Vick 15. Joe Flacco 17. Andy Dalton 18. Philip Rivers 19. Carson Palmer 20. Matt Schaub 20. Sam Bradford
CBS H2H - 12 Team League (*1 game eligibility)

C (1) - Montero
1B (1) - Encarnacion
2B (1) - D. Gordon
SS (1) - Aybar
3B (1) - Beltre
OF (3) - Gomez, Pence, Brantley
U (2) - Hosmer, Me. Cabrera, Duda, Hardy

P (7 total - combined)
SP - Scherzer, C. Lee, Lester, Liriano, Cole, Ryu, Kuroda, Colon, Buehrle, J. Chavez, Danks, Elias, M. Gonzalez
RP - Kimbrel

Scoring (batting = 1 pt single, 2 pts double, 3 pts triple, 4 pts homer, 1 pt BB, 1 pt run, 1 pt HBP, 1 pt RBI, 2 pts SB)
Scoring (pitching = 10 pts win, 10 pts save, 1 pt K, 2 pts IP, 5 pts CG, -.5 BB, -.5 hits allowed, -1 ER, -5 BS, -.5 HB)

#2 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

I'm noticing a trend in guys taking more care in drafting their backups. Some of it is from lack of complete trust in the young guys/running qbs and I think some of it believe it or not is because of the depth. An Eli or Ben rolls by and you're sitting on Tom Brady, you might pull the trigger there whereas you wouldn't in previous years because a. Brady's got new question marks and b. Eli or Ben(Palmer? Dalton? Freeman?) are more likely to be the best player on the board as the draft progresses. In brief...it COULD work but I think the odds are you'll get burned.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#3 RubioFTW

RubioFTW

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

I've thought about it, but in both of my drafts a QB I liked fell really late so I just grabbed them.

I think it could certainly work, but usually a QB or 2 falls pretty late from what I've seen this year. I will probably just hope a QB falls late and take them (since there are 12 QBs I like as a QB1) but if they don't I'll do an Eli/Cutler combo or something

#4 zapman623

zapman623

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

I tried streaming QBs last year and it ended up with me being frustrated more often than not. If you two QBs (or, God forbit, three), you are going to have to guess correctly every week out of the year. The odds of you picking correctly every week is astronomical.
12 Team League (1 pt = 25 pass yds; 5 pts = passing TD; 1 pt = 10 rush/rec yds; 6 pts = rush/rec TD; 0.5 ppr)

Record: 8-5 (Finished 2nd in Division, 3rd Overall; 1st in Points)

Championship Lineup:
QB: Drew Brees
WR (2): Calvin Johnson, Antonio Brown
RB(2): LeSean McCoy, Jordan Todman
FLEX (WR/RB): Keenan Allen
TE: Jason Witten
K: Nick Novak
DEF: Kansas City Chiefs

#5 Finally Detroit Wins

Finally Detroit Wins

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

I streamed QBs for a while in one league, until i lucked out and picked Kaep before Alex Smith's injury was known to be serious, and ended in 2nd place.

You just have to look at match ups really like I was with Dalton on his hot streak and then I'd switch to Romo if I liked his match up better. I wouldn't suggest it but it can work.

rraayy3, on 20 August 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

"experts" do not exist.

get sunday ticket, think for yourself.

#6 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

I think it's highly dependent on how many teams draft QBs.  Also in regards to 'guessing right' that's not necessarily true.  As long as the guy you pick, scores within <x> points of the 'drafted' QBs then streaming was the right choice that week, regards of whether you picked the best QB of your options.

Ironically the argument against streaming QBs this year, is that QB is so deep you shouldn't have to.  You can pull off the same 'load up skill players' strategy and then still grab Luck, Romo, Stafford, all of which are guys you wouldn't really have to second guess weekly.

Coming into the season I was contemplating streaming QBs for an auction league, so that I could spend all my money on RB/WR.  With $1 QBs like Vick and Bradford, with FA's out there like Flacco, Eli, Big Ben, Palmer etc, you can see why in plus matchups there's value in this.

I think it comes down to your confidence in two things.  1: The ability of FA's to break the 20 point barrier. and 2: your ability to correctly choose when it's most likely to happen.  To test this theory, I would try the following.  Choose 3 QB's that are likely FA's this year, or round 12+ if you prefer.  Then last year, use matchup ratings to pick which teams you would have picked that guy to play.  So, say we use Flacco as an example, and let's focus on 'top 8 fantasy points given to the QB position' (this is the top 1/4 of the league 8/32)  and then check to see if you would have broken the barrier that week.

According to my spreadsheet, in Yahoo scoring, those 8 teams were, in order:
Saints
Bucs
Vikings
Redskins
Bills
Raiders
Chiefs

I'm going to use Flacco as my example, because he seems like a middle of the road guy, available for this strategy.
14 - Wsh - 17.2
10 - Oak - 30.7
5 - KC - 7.9

Flacco was a bad choice, because he doesn't play these teams I guess, but you can see that only 1 of the 3 'top 8' matchups would have benefited the stream theory.  The KC game would have likely killed you and the Wsh game would have been a slight under performance.

Uhh, lets look at Dalton.
3 - Wsh - 25.7
12 - Oak - 20.9
11 - KC - 20.5

Again, I'm not picking Qbs very well, but regardless all 3 of Daltons favorable matchups break the 20 point mark.

Rivers
1 - Oak - 13.0
4 - KC - 15.4
5 - NO - 19.2
9 - KC - 15.6
10 - TB - 24
17 - Oak - 13.7

So, for a very crude example, let's say you picked these guys and played every top 8 matchup from above, which is only really 11 games, but work with me.  223 points over 11 games, is an average of 20.3 fantasy points a game.  Drew Brees was the #1 QB in Yahoo last year with an average of 22.8.

2 points a game, would lead me to believe this strategy is very viable.  The issue is the head games of picking the right guy, but I think you can avoid that by pre-determining a a system, and just sticking to it, as well as keeping the mind set, that it doesn't matter if Dalton out scores Flacco by 3 points, the strategy is that both QBs finished within 5 points of Drew Brees that week and cost you nothing.  But people tend to focus only on the X vs Y, rather than X or Y vs Brees.  The latter is the only thing that matters when discussing this idea though.
I do it for the likes...

#7 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

I tried last year, and found myself starting the wrong guy far too often.

I think part of the issue is a QB can turn in a sub par performance for a lot of reasons and even above average QBs can pull a crap day.  Also above average QB's can manage to go off against decent defenses on ocassion.

The flip side of this, is when streaming defenses it's much more predictable.  If you bet against the Blane Gabbart, Mark Sanchez, and the Arizona QB of the week last year you did pretty well.  Granted you can't always get the D going against those guys, but it seems a lot easier to bet against the ineptitude of an offense for some reason.
Rotoworld League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, 6 point passing TDs
Check out the thread in "Your League" Forums. Thread: "2014 Rotoworld Mock Real League"

Draft currently in progress...

QB: Tom Brady
RB1: Adrian Peterson
RB2: Marshawn Lynch
WR1: Vincent Jackson
WR2: Anquan Boldin  
W/R/T: Doug Martin
W/R/T: Emmanuel Sanders
TE:  Charles Clay
DEF:
K:

Bench:
RB: Christine Michael
RB:  Darren McFadden

#8 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

I'm with Proteus on this one, it could work in a league where only a small number of teams carry a backup but if you're in a 12 teamer and half the league or more has a backup streaming is going to be really tough.
Now waiting on QB in the draft and then taking Eli/Dalton both and starting the best matchup could work but I think truly streaming from week to week would be a massive headache.
2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts

Draft currently in progress in "Your League" Forum

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Danny Woodhead (6.09)
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Cordarrelle Patterson (4.09)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF:
K:

Bench: Golden Tate (7.06), LeGarrette Blount (9.06), Harry Douglas (11.06)

#9 GronkyKong

GronkyKong

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

In a 10 team league I don't even think you would need to stream. You can just be the last to pick your starting QB and still end up with Stafford/Luck/Romo, then maybe pick someone like Rivers and play him in a nice matchup. I've tried streaming before, and the one thing I would suggest is to at least pick a low end starter, and not just pick matchups from the bottom of the barrel. Even if it's Ben or Rivers as your main guy, you at least have someone with some talent to fall back on.

#10 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

Agree that straight-up streaming QB's off the waiver wire is not a great strategy but I think you can easily go with waiting until way late in your draft until selecting your QB's (assuming your league has a decent size bench).  The group-think is that there is a tier of 12 clear cut starting fantasy QB's and if you get one of those guys, you are fine.  The reality is that there will be at least 4 guys outside this consensus 12 that will end up producing as a top 12 QB for the 2013 season.  This group of consensus top 12 QB is not as safe as most assume.

I don't think it's such a bad idea to load up at RB & WR (also taking your starting TE) and wait until after rd 10 to start taking your QB's.  The odds strongly favor that players among Flacco, Bradford, Dalton, Palmer, Vick, ASmith, Tannehill, Locker, etc. are going to surprise and move into the top 10.  I would consider sacrificing a bench spot for a 3rd QB if my RB & WR stable are rock solid & deep.  Rolling with a QB crew of Flacco, Bradford, and Vick could work for me.