Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Golden Tate 2013 Season OutlookHarvin's health in question, time to step up?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 mjb03003

mjb03003

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,433 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

Golden Tate took a step forward in 2012, his third season in the league, finishing with 45 receptions (on 67 targets) for 688 yards and 7 TDs. Despite 15 fewer targets, Tate finished with just 5 fewer catches and 60 fewer yards than Sidney Rice, and tied Rice for the team lead in TDs.

The Seahawks brought in Percy Harvin this offseason, which would have rendered Tate the third option on a run-first team, but with Harvin's season in doubt due to a torn labrum in his hip, Tate may have an opportunity to be no worse than the #2 receiver behind the brittle Rice, making him a candidate to build on last year and have a true breakout in 2013.

Looking back at last year's game log, Tate had a few too many duds to think he will be a reliable WR3, but he did have a knack for making big plays and finding the end zone. Sometimes, depending on your matchup, you need to plug in a playmaker who is capable of a 15+ point game over a boring possession receiver who you can bank on for 5-6 points.

Tate did have two multi-TD games (including the controversial Touchception against the Packers in week 3 that put an end to the replacement ref debacle), and some impressive games down the stretch:

6 catches (on 6 targets) for 96 yards and a TD against Chicago in Week 13
3 catches (on 4 targets) for 105 yards against St. Louis in Week 17
6 catches (on 8 targets) for 103 yards and a TD against Atlanta in the Divisional round of the playoffs

He'll likely be boom/bust, but IF Harvin is forced to miss significant time, IF the Seahawks continue to show trust in Russell Wilson as a passer (which they did towards the end of last year), and IF Tate can even make modest improvements, I could see a very useful 60 reception, 800 yard, 7 TD season.

#2 RubioFTW

RubioFTW

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

ForteDaysandForteNights has shown some good stats in other threads about him showing his talent. I agree he's a good late round flyer as of now, and if Harvin is out for the year has a chance to hit your projection above

#3 mjb03003

mjb03003

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,433 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Nice, I just read ForteDaysandForteNights comments in the Russell Wilson thread. Definitely good stuff about his lack of drops, ability to break tackles, and make big plays.

Figured I'd post over here to further the discussion:

View PostForteDaysandForteNights, on 26 July 2013 - 03:16 AM, said:

Golden Tate is a playmaking force with the ball, ESPN classifies his broken tackles at 14 in the regular season. PFF has 16 including the playoffs. The PFF rankings would place him 3rd behind Percy Harvin and Brandon Marshall. He's also top 20 in YAC/Rec.

Tate had more broken tackles than AJ Green on 93 less targets. More broken tackles than Calvin Johnson on 134 less targets. More broke tackles than Dez Bryant on 72 less targets. Am I saying Tate is better than these guys? No. But you shouldn't ignore the success he has every time he touches the ball because his stats don't shoot through the roof.

It's not a one off season of success either. In 2011 Golden Tate dropped no passes, and broke 13 tackles the year before.

#4 predator_05

predator_05

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

I'm a fan. He plays like Pierre Garcon, very powerful runner, chews up the field after making a catch.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#5 Major

Major

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Rather him than Rice. He just wins games.

#6 mjb03003

mjb03003

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,433 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

I'll be drafting him late in every league. Hope he stays somewhat under the radar.

Coach Pete Carroll said the Seahawks have Golden Tate in virtually every package they run.

Per CBS' Jason La Canfora, "there is a quiet buzz about [Tate] in the coaching and front office here, with every belief that he is ready to make a leap into the upper echelon of receivers." If Percy Harvin is unable to play through his hip injury, Tate will get his chance to prove them right. He's always had more talent than he's shown on the field and is now in a contract year. At the very least, Tate will be insurance for Harvin owners this season. Jul 28 - 8:35 PM

#7 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

I really wouldn't be surprised if he made the leap this year.

I ended up grabbing Rice instead since I feel he could be in for a good bounceback year with a full season of an unleashed Russell Wilson, and feel that that's the "safer" guy of the two.

Funny that I use the word safe when Rice almost never is healthy.

Edited by Deadpool, 30 July 2013 - 10:42 AM.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14 team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts

Draft currently in progress in the "Your League" Forum.

QB: Colin Kaepernick
RB1: Giovani Bernard
RB2: Bishop Sankey
WR1: Jeremy Maclin
WR2: Terrance Williams
W/R/T: Stevan Ridley
W/R/T: DeAndre Hopkins
TE: Rob Gronkowski
Bench: Zach Ertz, Eric Ebron, Dexter McCluster, Charles Sims

#8 Stunna3000

Stunna3000

Single-A

• Probationary Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

Harvin now requires surgery and Rice dealing with knee issues, very solid opportunity to put up big numbers

#9 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

I like Doug Baldwin

#10 Titan Up

Titan Up

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

What's his ceiling/floor?

#11 KcChiefs08

KcChiefs08

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:46 PM

Looks to be the man now that Harvins gone.
12 Team PPR 2rb/2wr/2flex League
QB- R. Griffin, B. Roethlisberger, C. Palmer
RB- J. Charles, Mjd, D. Richardson, B. Tate, B. Pierce
WR- C. Johnson, D. Thomas, T. Smith, K. Thompkins, V. Brown
TE- J. Cook, C. Fleener
D/ST- Arizona Cardinals
K- Alex Henery

#12 Stunna3000

Stunna3000

Single-A

• Probationary Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:35 AM

I'd venture to guess his absolute floor to be around 600 receptions and 5 TDs, due to defenses keying in on stopping him has the primary receiving threat and because last year he had a very high amount of broken tackles on limited receptions that he may not be able to duplicate. That said, many of his playmaking after catching the ball appeared to be made through sheer talent, thus if he has more opportunities I feel that he can make more broken tackles get even more yards after contact. I have his ceiling at ~70 receptions and 1,000 yards due to the offense being traditionally run-heavy.

#13 Sneaky

Sneaky

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

The only thing that held him back last season and probably again this season is the Seahawks runfirst offense.  They just don't throw a lot, capping his upside.  I do like him a lot tho

#14 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

I'm starting to be really high on him, willing to pull the trigger well before his current ADP in the 11th.
2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts

Draft currently in progress in "Your League" Forum

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Danny Woodhead (6.09)
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Cordarrelle Patterson (4.09)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF:
K:

Bench: Golden Tate (7.06), LeGarrette Blount (9.06), Harry Douglas (11.06)

#15 gbill2004

gbill2004

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

Projections?
Competitive 10 team H2H deep re-draft league.  Roster below (starting spots in brackets):

C (2) Buster Posey, Brian McCann, Wilson Ramos
1B (2) Chris Davis, Mark Teixeira, Billy Butler
2B (2) Dustin Pedroia, Brandon Phillips
SS (2) Jose Reyes, JJ Hardy
3B (2) Edwin Encarnacion, Josh Donaldson, Chase Headley
OF (4) Bryce Harper, Hunter Pence, Michael Bourn, Kole Calhoun

SP (4) David Price, Matt Cain, Johnny Cueto, Yordano Ventura, Sonny Gray, Garrett Richards, Julio Teheran, Josh Beckett, Ian Kennedy, Michael Pineda, James Paxton
RP (2) Francisco Rodriguez, Joakim Soria

#16 SpartanEric

SpartanEric

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

View Postgbill2004, on 03 August 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Projections?

Really starting to warm up to him.  I was always impressed with him at Notre Dame and expected him to do a little more in the League.  

Now we're going into his 3rd year, the handcuffs are removed from Wilson, Harvin is done, Rice is (go figure) ailing... they don't have a pass catching RB.  

I'll take a shot and say:

78 receptions
1100 yards
8TD

#17 instant290

instant290

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostSpartanEric, on 03 August 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Projections?

Really starting to warm up to him.  I was always impressed with him at Notre Dame and expected him to do a little more in the League.  

Now we're going into his 3rd year, the handcuffs are removed from Wilson, Harvin is done, Rice is (go figure) ailing... they don't have a pass catching RB.  

78 receptions
1100 yards
8TD

I think those are some accurate projections to expect if you are high on Tate. He is definitely s great football player, doesn't have any elite attributes about him, but he plays hard and smart which can count for a lot.

#18 SpartanEric

SpartanEric

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

View Postinstant290, on 03 August 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

View PostSpartanEric, on 03 August 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Projections?

78 receptions
1100 yards
8TD

I think those are some accurate projections to expect if you are high on Tate. He is definitely s great football player, doesn't have any elite attributes about him, but he plays hard and smart which can count for a lot.

Yah, lofty projections.... but I'm a believer that good QB's can make a WR.  I think Wilson continues to get better, and no matter who is out there running routes will benefit.  Add in the fact that Tate actually does have talent and I think you're looking at a really nice year 3 from him.

#19 gbill2004

gbill2004

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

This will be his 4th year.
Competitive 10 team H2H deep re-draft league.  Roster below (starting spots in brackets):

C (2) Buster Posey, Brian McCann, Wilson Ramos
1B (2) Chris Davis, Mark Teixeira, Billy Butler
2B (2) Dustin Pedroia, Brandon Phillips
SS (2) Jose Reyes, JJ Hardy
3B (2) Edwin Encarnacion, Josh Donaldson, Chase Headley
OF (4) Bryce Harper, Hunter Pence, Michael Bourn, Kole Calhoun

SP (4) David Price, Matt Cain, Johnny Cueto, Yordano Ventura, Sonny Gray, Garrett Richards, Julio Teheran, Josh Beckett, Ian Kennedy, Michael Pineda, James Paxton
RP (2) Francisco Rodriguez, Joakim Soria

#20 Roto4500

Roto4500

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

Odd to see everyone jumping on the Tate bandwagon because of Harvin's injury, considering that Harvin wasn't even on the team last year and Tate was barely a WR3.

I like him but lets not get carried away. His average game last year was around 3 catches for 45 yards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users