Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How to keep owners interested all year?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

#1 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

Patrick, if this has to moved please do so.

I thought there was a thread on this last year (maybe even two years ago) but I couldn't find it.

What are some things you guys do in your leagues to keep people interested and competitive throughout the year, especially late?

We're looking some fun ideas as well as anti-tanking rules.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#2 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

Make it a 100 cash league with weekly bonuses for most points scored, highest point differential etc.

"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RotoWorld Mock Real League - 14 team, .5 PPR, 6 point passing TDs(4-4, 6th place)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Ahmad Bradshaw
RB2: Reggie Bush
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Mohammed Sanu
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Streaming
Bench: Jeremy Hill, Pierre Thomas, Antone Smith, Travaris Cadet, James Starks, Boobie Dixon

#3 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Make it a 100 cash league with weekly bonuses for most points scored, highest point differential etc.

I was thinking about that but it just seems like it dilutes the final payouts too much. I proposed prizes like that but not for every week, just a one time end of year superlative kind of thing. Biggest margin of victory, highest single game score, etc.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#4 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

I'm the Looks, the Brains, & the Wildcard!

• Moderators
  • 8,776 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

One of the leagues I'm in has weekly fines. I believe there's about 10 of them (all mostly small amounts), some happen more often while some almost never happen, but I think it helps keep things interesting as well as there's some fines that hedge against people tanking. At the end of the season, the money owed for fines is totaled up with teams transaction fees and added to the prize pool.
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

#5 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

One of the leagues I'm in has weekly fines. I believe there's about 10 of them (all mostly small amounts), some happen more often while some almost never happen, but I think it helps keep things interesting as well as there's some fines that hedge against people tanking. At the end of the season, the money owed for fines is totaled up with teams transaction fees and added to the prize pool.

We are going to implement fines for not setting a full lineup, but the hang up is that sometimes benching your defense is a good strategy because it is the most likely to lose points. If I'm up 5 with a defense playing Monday night and he's finished, I'm going to bench that D. That's another issue altogether.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#6 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

I'm the Looks, the Brains, & the Wildcard!

• Moderators
  • 8,776 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

We are going to implement fines for not setting a full lineup, but the hang up is that sometimes benching your defense is a good strategy because it is the most likely to lose points. If I'm up 5 with a defense playing Monday night and he's finished, I'm going to bench that D. That's another issue altogether.

Yea, we actually don't have setting a full lineup fine just for that reason. Our fines that hedge against tanking are more along the lines of total points scored for a week as well as setting a lineup without having anyone on byes. Mostly the fines are more for fun and include things like "if your kicker out scores your QB" or "if you team doesn't have a double digit scorer," things like that too keep things even more interesting every week.
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

#7 shaft4783

shaft4783

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Keep them interested by playing for cash. If they can't stay motivated to set lineups and be active during the year than they shouldn't be in the league. Find new owners.

#8 dmb3684

dmb3684

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,898 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

We give out 100 bucks to the team that has the highest one week total for the year. Also, the draft order for the next year is 7th place, 8th place, 9th place etc. But it's a keeper, that wouldn't be fair in a redraft.

#9 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

Keep them interested by playing for cash. If they can't stay motivated to set lineups and be active during the year than they shouldn't be in the league. Find new owners.

It already is a cash, keeper league and when the playoffs start and there's nothing for them to win they just get lazy.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#10 dmb3684

dmb3684

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,898 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

It already is a cash, keeper league and when the playoffs start and there's nothing for them to win they just get lazy.

Why do you care if non-playoff teams don't set their rosters in the playoffs?

#11 RawDawg

RawDawg

Just Drafted

• Probationary Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

My league does a $100 payout to the consolation bracket winner.

#12 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

I've done weekly winner. That has worked, but other guys have that "dilutes the pot" complaint.

The other idea is to give a little something back to each team except the last place finisher.

Just thinking out loud now but to go that one better, maybe make the last place finisher double his entry fee to be redistributed along the payout tree.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#13 dmb3684

dmb3684

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,898 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

My league does a $100 payout to the consolation bracket winner.

I'd be pissed if I made the playoffs, lost and got less money than someone that didn't make it.

#14 paypal0823

paypal0823

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

Motivation is key to keep a league fair.... nothing worse then a team whose out of the playoffs mid-season/towards the end stops making waiver pickups toward the end and the teams that are already stacked just get more stacked. What we decided to do this year was make a $10 head to head challenge each week from week 5 to 13.... so starting week 5, the winner of each matchup gets a $10 added to their account. Its a $140 12 team league so this removes $540 from the pool but top 2 teams still get a hefty payout and if you figure the top teams have good records, that's even more money on top so the best teams will make the most $ regardless. This way, the teams that are pretty done mid-season due to bad starts will always have incentive to make waiver pick ups, set line ups because if they go on a hot streak towards the end they can win more then half the buy-in back. First time we're trying this but in theory everyone agreed its a good system but we'll see how it works out...... I just don't see any other way to keep people motivated without giving a $ incentive each week.

#15 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

This has been a big issue for many of my leagues, I've come up with a couple ideas that a few touched on here already...

1. Weekly High Score prizes (Even $5-$10 in a $100 league should be a enough to keep people at least setting their lineups, even if they aren't making tons of other transactions).

2. Roster Penalties (In a $200 buy-in league, I required all teams to submit an additional $25 upfront that would be given back after the season if the team did not start a player on Bye or any player listed as Doubtful or Out on the initial Injury Report for the week -- any team that violated those stipulations forfeited their deposit which went into the transaction pool to be divided up amongst the winners).

3. Draft Pick Playoff (Even in a Redraft League, I setup our Consolation Playoff to award to BEST non-playoff teams with the top picks in the next season; rather than the teams that just quit and finish dead last, so with 4 teams making the playoffs in our league, the 5th place team got the Top Choice of pick in the next season, 6th place team got the next choice, etc.)

#16 shaft4783

shaft4783

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

Why do you care if non-playoff teams don't set their rosters in the playoffs?

Everybody in the league needs to be active and keep up on their rosters. Imagine you're trying to fight for a playoff spot and your main competitor is playing a guy who hasn't set his roster in weeks. It's bs. Guys that don't keep up on their rosters should be cut from the league.

#17 jmausen

jmausen

Single-A

• Probationary Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Make the consolation bracket worth something.

Payouts go to (12 man league):
1st
2nd
7th

That way, eveyone has something to play for late in the season; otherwise, your asking for people to care about a crud season.

#18 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

Make the consolation bracket worth something.

Payouts go to (12 man league):
1st
2nd
7th

That way, eveyone has something to play for late in the season; otherwise, your asking for people to care about a crud season.

Yeah, but why should the 7th place team get something, and not 3rd-6th. Basically if your team is a borderline playoff team that has no shot against the big boys, you are better off tanking any getting into the Consolation Playoffs -- that's worse than team just ignoring their rosters.

#19 builttoolong

builttoolong

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

In the 12-team league (keeper) I run, the draft position is what the players are playing for late in the season for the next year and this seems to keep them interested. Basically, the draft is set by the previous year's seeding : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 4, 3, 2, 1. It also benefits those that made the playoffs, but bow out in the first round to keep them interested as well.
12-Keeper League

QB: Luck, Romo
RB: G.Bernard, B. Oliver, S. Vereen, D. Sproles, T. Mason
WR: D. Bryant, A. Jeffery, P. Garcon, J. Hunter, B. Cooks, John Brown
TE: J. Thomas, G. Olsen, T. Wright
DEF: Bills
K: C. Catanzaro

#20 SpartanEric

SpartanEric

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

I was thinking about that but it just seems like it dilutes the final payouts too much. I proposed prizes like that but not for every week, just a one time end of year superlative kind of thing. Biggest margin of victory, highest single game score, etc.

It does dilute payouts too much.

Get the right Managers, first of all. Easier said than done, I know. Then I lay out the same ground rules email to everyone. You HAVE to put in a starting lineup whether you are 10-2 or 1-11. If you don't, as commish I will edit your lineup and you might not be asked back. It's not fair to the league that you had a legit starting lineup in there in week 3 and beat somebody, but it week 13 someone needs you to beat a team in front of them and you have 5 injured guys in your lineup.

Also, just started last year giving a $75 dollar bonus to the winner of the Toilet bowl - loser's bracket of the playoffs. It's not much, but when your season is completely lost, at least you have something you can get back.