181 replies to this topic

#1 tenpin477

tenpin477

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

What do you guys think of Pierre Thomas this season? It seemed like he was always the best and most versatile back in the Saints rotation, Payton is returning, and Chris Ivory is out of the mix.

Think this guy can have a big season?
12 team 3 keeper h2h roto   23 roster spots, 1 NA Spot, 2 DL spots

R HR Rbi Obp Slg NSB                 K Era Sv W QS K/BB

3 SP, 2 RP, 3 P
C Lucroy
1B Edwin E
2b Cano
3B Seager
SS Tulo
OF Pence, Springer (17th), Khris Davis, Trumbo(DL)    
Util Pedro Alvarez (20th)
BN Mookie Betts
BN Hosmer
BN Xander B (19th)
NA
SP BumG, Sale, Cueto, Mike Minor, Iwakuma , Samardzja, Ervin Santanta
RP Cishek, Bettances, Melancon

#2 Prea

Prea

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

I think he should be the one getting the bulk of the carries. He has a career ypc better than Ingram, and he is effective in the pass game. But until they stop doing a 50/50 split with Ingram, I don't see him having that much value. Thomas' numbers are going to be inconsistent on a week to week basis.

Saints coach Sean Payton said Thursday he expects Mark Ingram to "be a big part of what we do running the football" in 2013.
During his year away on a BountyGate suspension, Payton was discouraged by the Saints' lack of commitment to the running game. He's vowed to change that, which makes Ingram a somewhat interesting mid-round fantasy pick. "I know he is anxious, ... healthy, and probably I would say going into his third year as healthy and as good of shape as he has been," Payton said of Ingram. Ingram's fantasy outlook is also helped by the departure of Chris Ivory

Edited by Prea, 30 July 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#3 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

Not a big season, no. But he's fine as a bye week replacement/flex guy.

I can see 900-950 total yards. This would change dramatically if Ingram or Sproles gets hurt.

Edited by Deadpool, 30 July 2013 - 02:26 PM.

12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pta
QB: Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez
RB: Eddie Lacy, Giovani Bernard, Mark Ingram, Chris Ivory, Jonas Gray
WR: Josh Gordon, Roddy White, Odell Beckham Jr, Vincent Jackson
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski

#4 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

I always take him in ppr, he's 1 injury away (by 2 different RBs) from being a great flex option or (depending on your team) an RB2 and you can get him in the 10th round.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

Record: 4-7

QB: Big Ben
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Roddy White
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Dan Carpenter

Bench: PHI DST, Keenan Allen (3.06), , Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), Kenny Stills, Andy Dalton, KaDeem Carey (14.09), Nick Foles (8.09)James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#5 JimmyB

JimmyB

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

I think a changing of the guard will happen in NO this year, I think Ingram will be the early down back and PT will be used as a change of pace back. Then you throw in Sproles as a 3rd down/passing situation back. Ingram is finally healthy this year and PT has never carried the ball more than 147 or so times in the last 7 years and has dealt with some injuries in the past. I feel Ingram will be the back this year and the primary goal line back which is great if you are in a TD heavy league. I like PT and have drafted him to my bench the last couple of seasons but I don't ever see him as a bell cow, Ingram on the other hand has the look of a bell cow to me. Of course only time will tell.

Team 1 / 10 Team standard / 5 man Keeper / QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, Flex, TE, K, Def

QB - Kaep, Brady

RB - AP, Morris, Gore, Foster, Blue, DMC, Hillman

WR - Marshall, Jordy, James Jones, Matthews, Randle, Royal

TE - Witten, D. Allen

K - Bryant

Def - Detroit, Houston

Team 2 / 12 Team, +6 TD Passes, Return yards / 3 man keeper / QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, Def

QB - Kaep, Flacco

RB - Lacy, Hillman, Bolden, Knile Davis, Mckinnon, Hyde

WR - Julio, Jordy, Randle, T. Williams, Royal

TE - D. Allen (Dropped Rudolph after injury)

K - Bryant

Def - CLE (streaming)

#6 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

Did PT have a pretty bad concussion last year?
This post is rated "G".

#7 Prea

Prea

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

I think a changing of the guard will happen in NO this year, I think Ingram will be the early down back and PT will be used as a change of pace back. Then you throw in Sproles as a 3rd down/passing situation back. Ingram is finally healthy this year and PT has never carried the ball more than 147 or so times in the last 7 years and has dealt with some injuries in the past. I feel Ingram will be the back this year and the primary goal line back which is great if you are in a TD heavy league. I like PT and have drafted him to my bench the last couple of seasons but I don't ever see him as a bell cow, Ingram on the other hand has the look of a bell cow to me. Of course only time will tell.

I don't follow the Saints very closely so I don't know about any nagging injuries they may have played through - but P Thomas played in almost every game the last 2 years. He did miss week 17 with a knee injury, but he played through it in week 16 and they were out of the playoffs anyways. The put him on IR but they needed to add a cornerback. I realize he has dealt with other injuries in prior years though.

Ingram missed half of 2011 with turf toe, and he's also had ankle and knee injuries. It's not like he's been injury free either.

They both weigh 215 lbs, although Ingram is probably a little bigger due to being shorter. Thomas' career ypc is almost a whole yard better than Ingram's. P Thomas looks like the better runner on the field to me, and he is not one dimensional (he can catch too), so I don't know why you think Ingram has the look of a bellcow more than PT.

Looks like that was in the 2011 playoffs. I don't know that it was any worse than any other concussion though.

Edited by Prea, 30 July 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#8 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Imo Ingram is flirting with bust status and I don't think the coaching staff has too much patience left.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

Record: 4-7

QB: Big Ben
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Roddy White
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Dan Carpenter

Bench: PHI DST, Keenan Allen (3.06), , Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), Kenny Stills, Andy Dalton, KaDeem Carey (14.09), Nick Foles (8.09)James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#9 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

2011 playoffs. 49ers vs. Saints. Ole boy got lit up at the goal line.

$50 12 Team PPR, 8-1

QB: Philip Rivers

RB1: Arian Foster

RB2: Ahmad Bradshaw

WR1: Megatron

WR2: Jordy Nelson

W/R/T: Jeremy Maclin

TE: Rob Gronkowski

Bench: Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon, Shane Vereen, Jeremy Hill, Travis Kelce, Martavis Bryant

#10 ipg46

ipg46

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Interests:Dumpster Diving

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

I'm high on PT compared to his draft position this year. I think he ends the year with 1200+ total yards and around 8 TDs. So in my opinion he's a Top 15-20 RB being ranked as the #50 RB in drafts.
  • ForteDaysandForteNights likes this

Yahoo League (Going for the Three-Peat!) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF, IDP / 6 pts all TDs / 1 point=50 pass yards or 15 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Drew Brees, Marques Colston, Wes Welker, Greg Jennings, Josh Gordon, LeVeon Bell, Matt Asiata, Toby Gerhart, Ben Tate, Ray Rice, Zach Ertz, LeGarrette Blount

ESPN League (Runner up 2 years running--looking for the win!) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF / 4 pts pass TDs; 6 pts all others / 1 point=20 pass yards or 10 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Aaron Rodgers, Randall Cobb, Mike Wallace, Michael Floyd, Josh Gordon, Ben Tate, Frank Gore, Ray Rice, Stevan Ridley, Fred Jackson, Vernon Davis, Larry Donnell, Carlos Hyde

#11 Deckard Pain

Deckard Pain

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

The Saints have listed Pierre Thomas as the first-string running back on their initial depth chart.
No surprise. Thomas has routinely outplayed Mark Ingram over the last two seasons and worked ahead of him during OTAs. Darren Sproles is listed as the third-team running back, but he'll end up playing the most snaps of the trio in his usual pass-catching role. Thomas and Ingram project to share carries when the Saints do execute base running plays.

Finally losing patience with Ingram? I've been targeting PT in the late rounds for RB depth and will continue to now. I'm assuming Ingram will probably get GL carries still though.

#12 Grim

Grim

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

I guess I'm not in the same boat with as many of you here. To draft a guy expecting an injury is not exactly what I'm looking for unless you are in a very deep league. Having said that PT will be able to have some weeks where you can get 10-15 pts. from him but you won't know when those days will be. I think he'll finish with around 800 total yds and about 5 TDs which if all goes according to plan puts him the top 30-40 RB range. Not all that exciting..

#13 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

I guess I'm not in the same boat with as many of you here. To draft a guy expecting an injury is not exactly what I'm looking for unless you are in a very deep league. Having said that PT will be able to have some weeks where you can get 10-15 pts. from him but you won't know when those days will be. I think he'll finish with around 800 total yds and about 5 TDs which if all goes according to plan puts him the top 30-40 RB range. Not all that exciting..

Not sure if you're referring to standard or PPR, but in PPR he averaged over 10 PPG last year despite Sproles, Ingram, Ivory and Cadet. Not that they were all on the field simultaneously but regardless, he's one of those not so sexy guys, that can get the job done for certain strategies.
I do it for the likes...

#14 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

He's a great guy in those 12-14 team 0.5 PPR/Full PPR leagues as a weekly flex.

In a 10 team standard scoring league, not so much. Better as a bye week replacement in those formats.
12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pta
QB: Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez
RB: Eddie Lacy, Giovani Bernard, Mark Ingram, Chris Ivory, Jonas Gray
WR: Josh Gordon, Roddy White, Odell Beckham Jr, Vincent Jackson
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski

#15 Deckard Pain

Deckard Pain

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

Yeah especially since he can be drafted in the 13th round round or later.

#16 ipg46

ipg46

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Interests:Dumpster Diving

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

Just saw this on Rotoworld's Pierre Thomas news page. I hope it's ignored and PT stays a forgotten man until I draft him just before my kicker...

The Saints have listed Pierre Thomas as the first-string running back on their initial depth chart.

No surprise. Thomas has routinely outplayed Mark Ingram over the last two seasons (4.81 YPC vs. 3.87 YPC) and worked ahead of him during OTAs. Darren Sproles is listed as the third-team running back, but he'll end up playing the most snaps of the trio in his usual pass-catching role. Thomas and Ingram project to share carries when the Saints do execute base running plays. Aug 5 - 11:43 AM

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Yahoo League (Going for the Three-Peat!) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF, IDP / 6 pts all TDs / 1 point=50 pass yards or 15 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Drew Brees, Marques Colston, Wes Welker, Greg Jennings, Josh Gordon, LeVeon Bell, Matt Asiata, Toby Gerhart, Ben Tate, Ray Rice, Zach Ertz, LeGarrette Blount

ESPN League (Runner up 2 years running--looking for the win!) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF / 4 pts pass TDs; 6 pts all others / 1 point=20 pass yards or 10 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Aaron Rodgers, Randall Cobb, Mike Wallace, Michael Floyd, Josh Gordon, Ben Tate, Frank Gore, Ray Rice, Stevan Ridley, Fred Jackson, Vernon Davis, Larry Donnell, Carlos Hyde

#17 CooL

CooL

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:35 AM

I don't want head #2 (or is it #3?) of a three headed RBBC monster. I got frustrated enough owning Sproles with him never on the field much. Think I'll pull all my hair out if I have Pierre Thomas.

#18 Deckard Pain

Deckard Pain

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:06 AM

Sproles is an entirely different back, and with Peyton back in charge he'll be used properly again. You're not drafting PT as your every week RB2, he's more situational, flex, bye week filler and wait and see kinda guy. If Ingram or PT get hurt either of them will definitely be worth owning with the balenced offense the Saints say they're going to run.

#19 SecondString

SecondString

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

I don't want head #2 (or is it #3?) of a three headed RBBC monster. I got frustrated enough owning Sproles with him never on the field much. Think I'll pull all my hair out if I have Pierre Thomas.

Amen to that. I've kept an eye on Pierre the last three seasons, and believe him to be talented and capable of being a good fantasy producer. I've rostered him for short periods, and have been tempted to other times as well. But in that system, he's not gonna deliver with any consistency.
  • scienergy likes this

#20 RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

He's a huge value right now in PPR leagues. He was RB34 last year and will have a much bigger role this year, yet he's being taken as RB46 off the board.
12-Team PPR
3-0 w/ #1 Waiver Wire

QB: Cam Newton
RB: Jamaal Charles
RB: Reggie Bush
WR: Danny Amendola
WR: Jordy Nelson
TE: Jimmy Graham
Flex: Pierre Garcon
K: Dan Bailey
DEF: New England Patriots (or streaming)
Bench: Tony Romo, Gio Bernard, Josh Gordon, Anquan Boldin, Joique Bell, Kenbrell Thompkins, Defense of the Week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users