Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Johnathan Franklin 2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

I initially thought Lesean McCoy was a great change-of-pace back. When I say "initially", i mean when he was drafted. His shiftiness at Pitt was just awesome. And this is coming from a Californian who only saw a few Pitt games. To me, Franklin has some McCoy shiftiness. Incredible hips. Now Franklin is different from Mccoy in other respects, but that shiftiness is a trait i love (and not just on Madden). Anyways, I always need to start at least one thread for good luck and JF wasn't taken yet. Blood Brother posted the following in the Lacy thread and it sort of echoes my sentiment.

Personally, I think Franklin is the better RB, and I think he fits this team better than Lacy does. I didn't mind the Lacy pick(good value) but I absolutely loved when they got Franklin later. Packers don't have that big, physical OL, which I think is what is better suited for Lacy's game. Franklin's skillset plays more into how the Packers run things offensively, so I think in the end his talent will shine the most. Just my opinion of course. In the end, I'll likely just be avoiding the GB situation again this year anyway

Now word came out yesterday that Coach McCarthy didn't like his pass blocking in practice. He isn't big and that is prone to happen, I suppose. Still early imo. Will be interesting to see how Lacy vs Franklin pans out in preseason.

#2 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

**Just a reminder that McCoy's disappointing rookie season was due to sharing the load with his clone, Brian Westbrook.

Also, McCoy's pass blocking was suspect coming out of college.
A liability in pass protection, throwing a shoulder instead of moving his feet to take on or even just get in the way of a rusher. Whiffs on his cut blocks against blitzing linebackers.

#3 allysan1027

allysan1027

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

ah pass blocking, the downfall of most young RB's

I got excited about franklin when I saw how fat Lacy looked in that pic, but then again a timeshare RB in GB should never be anything to get excited about. Even if Lacy goes down Dejuan harris or somebody will still be in the mix

better to pick a more solid handcuff RB

Edited by allysan1027, 01 August 2013 - 05:45 PM.

#4 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

I'm definitely scooping up JF late in my deep league with the Harris news. Bad preseason be damned. I love when guys get past their demons of a one month camp and start developing DURING the season. Sometimes I wonder if fantasy managers forget the upheaval of the RB position during the season.

Not saying he'll get Lacy's job, but I do want the pass catching change of pace back in GB by week 4.

#5 Dr.Funktopus

Dr.Funktopus

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

As a Lacy owner and a Deangelo Williams owner (Rb2 and 3 respectively), if i had to choose one handcuff to own after today's news items - I would take Tolbert over Franklin.

Thus, I see Franklin as a wait and see and snag-if-needed type, as I believe he may have value later in the season, but Harris on the IR means room for both Green and Starks, niether of whom excite me at all to roster...

Thoughts?

12 Team Auction Keeper League - 0.5 per Reception (2013 WINNER):
QB: Peyton Manning;
RBs: Matt Forte, Eddie Lacy
WRs: Demaryius Thomas (K), Keenan Allen, T.Y. Hilton (K)
TE: Vernon Davis; Flex: Kendall Wright
K: Blair Walsh; Def: St. Louis Rams
Bench: Jordan Reed, Riley Cooper, Steven Jackson
Michael Crabtree, DeAngelo Williams, Jordan Todman

12 Team Auction Keeper League - 0.5 per Reception (2014):
QB: Aaron Rodgers;
RBs: Eddie Lacy (K), DeMarco Murray
WRs: Demaryius Thomas (K), Desean Jackson, Mike Wallace
TE: Martellus Bennett; Flex: Rashad Jennings
K: Mason Crosby; Def: Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers

Bench: Donte Moncrief, Alfred Blue, Keenan Allen (K),

Allen Hurns, Cody Latimer, Malcolm Floyd, Joseph Randle

#6 Deckard Pain

Deckard Pain

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

As a Lacy owner and a Deangelo Williams owner (Rb2 and 3 respectively), if i had to choose one handcuff to own after today's news items - I would take Tolbert over Franklin.

Thus, I see Franklin as a wait and see and snag-if-needed type, as I believe he may have value later in the season, but Harris on the IR means room for both Green and Starks, niether of whom excite me at all to roster...

Thoughts?

I wouldn't handcuff either of them.

#7 cyberer

cyberer

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

Packers will add someone before opening day. I think Michael Turner/McGahee are better stashes for now than Franklin. No one will be rushing to pick him up.

SIG UPDATED FOR NFL WEEK 9
Gronk if you're Horny

3rd Place

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Steve Smith (backup Cordarrelle Patterson)

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy
TE Gronk (backup Cameron)

FLEX Ben Tate (backups sproles, denard robinson, taliaferro)

#8 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

Johnathan Franklin was held without a touch in Green Bay's Week 2 win over the Redskins.
It's notable because the Packers lost stater Eddie Lacy (concussion) on their opening drive. James Stars subbed in for the Packers' feature back, and appeared to cede zero snaps to Franklin. Franklin is the early leader for the most disappointing player of the 2013 draft class.

Just thought I would bring up this fiasco...

http://sports.yahoo....31227--nfl.html

Franklin is a star compared to that draft pick.
I play fantasy sports

#9 HTXMade

HTXMade

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

looked good today

#10 Mathias

Mathias

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:27 AM

he looked the best in that offense of any of the GB rbs thus far this season. Very versatile in the passing game as well. great pass protection.

thoughts going forward? i know he suffered an injury late

#11 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

Johnathan Franklin was held without a touch in Green Bay's Week 2 win over the Redskins.
It's notable because the Packers lost stater Eddie Lacy (concussion) on their opening drive. James Stars subbed in for the Packers' feature back, and appeared to cede zero snaps to Franklin. Franklin is the early leader for the most disappointing player of the 2013 draft class.

haha wow that RW writer really screwed the pooch on that one. I love how it blew up the very next week too.

That fumble though. I mean that is the exact reason why coaches like Coughlin go crazy about fumbling. He is probably sending copies of that game tape to Wilson every morning. Did he sprain his ankle? I thought he got benched for the fumble.
I play fantasy sports

#12 Knicks2689

Knicks2689

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

haha wow that RW writer really screwed the pooch on that one. I love how it blew up the very next week too.

That fumble though. I mean that is the exact reason why coaches like Coughlin go crazy about fumbling. He is probably sending copies of that game tape to Wilson every morning. Did he sprain his ankle? I thought he got benched for the fumble.

He can't block.. and his fumble cost his team the win. Not worth a high priority or alot of FAAB. Laughable some guy was comparing him too Shady McCoy wish i remembered who.

#13 Sonny_D

Sonny_D

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Keep feeding him like he said......

#14 mverkruyse

mverkruyse

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

He can't block.. and his fumble cost his team the win. Not worth a high priority or alot of FAAB. Laughable some guy was comparing him too Shady McCoy wish i remembered who.

To be fair, he dominated on the touches that he got minus the admittedly terribly timed fumble on 4th down. That being said, the fumble was a direct helmet-to-ball vs. a goal-line defense, not sure there was much he could have done. Am I spending FAAB or a waiver pick on Franklin? Probably not, but with Lacy and Starks both having injury histories of their own, I can't blame anyone for taking a flier on him.

#15 Stickfig13

Stickfig13

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,194 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

I think Franklin has more talent that Starks. His issue is that he was never asked to do much more than run at UCLA. He was the workhorse. I like his talent and given the opportunity you can see what he's capable of.

That said, I'm not going out of my way to grab him

#16 jspeed

jspeed

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

To be fair, he dominated on the touches that he got minus the admittedly terribly timed fumble on 4th down. That being said, the fumble was a direct helmet-to-ball vs. a goal-line defense, not sure there was much he could have done. Am I spending FAAB or a waiver pick on Franklin? Probably not, but with Lacy and Starks both having injury histories of their own, I can't blame anyone for taking a flier on him.

The perfect running game to complement Aaron Rodgers is a guy that can hammer between the tackles and keep the other team's linebackers hones. That's Lacy. To some extent, Starks can do that as well.

Franklin is just a different style of runner. He wants to get into space and beat people with his moves and his speed. A poor man's Shady McCoy is not a bad analogy.

Bottom line is that Franklin's style doesn't fit well with the Packers offense. Granted he was productive, but the Packers mostly used him as a check down target and ran him off tackle. And of course, that was when Cincy got a ton of pressure on Rodgers and took over and won the game.

10 team private $$$ ppr league  *C*H*A*M*P*I*O*N*S*H*I*P* *G*A*M*E*
QB:  MStafford

RB: JCharles,  LMurray  (TMason, ICrowell, RHillman )
WR: JordyNelson, OBeckham, JoshGordon (JulioJones , DAdams, HDouglas)
TE:  TKelce
K: AVinitieri
DST: NYG (MIA)

12 Team Yahoo Public Auction 4th place

PG: KLowry, JTeague, BKnight, TBurke

SG: RCovington, KJ McDaniels

SF: CAnthony,GAntetokounmpo

PF: DCousins, OAsik

C: DJordan, RGobert, TMosgov

#17 Holben

Holben

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

No, I would argue that Jeremy Ross' fumble cost us the game, and the coaches agree which is why Ross was waived this week.

Franklin looked amazing.

Lets break this down here.

Two weeks ago, James Starks received much praise after posting a 20-132-1 (6.6 YPC) stat line last week and he caught another 4 passes for 36 yards. Franklin didn't cut into his production at all. He was the first 100-yard rusher we've had since 2010 and he had a full game to do that since Lacy went down on the 7th play (2 minutes) into the game.

Last weekend, Jonathan Franklin didn't get his first touch until the 3rd quarter. In 60 minutes, he went for 13-103-1 (7.9 YPC) and he caught 3 passes for 23 yards. He had 1/2 the time on the field that Starks had and he has now become the second 100-yard rusher the Packers have had since 2010. He also didn't have a QB who was throwing for 400+ yards to help him open up some lanes.

Franklin flashed legit talent and I can see an RBBC between Lacy and Franklin after the bye. Considering what Franklin managed to do with only 13 carries, I like his prospects going forward.

Everybody was Kung Fu Fightin - 12 Team 1 PPR Auction (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex:RB/WR/TE, D, K)
QB-Mark Sanchez
RB-Jamaal Charles, Rashad Jennings, Ahmad Bradshaw, Denard Robinson, Adrian Peterson, Travaris Cadet
WR-Antonio Brown, Pierre Garcon, Roddy White, Josh Gordon
TE-Mychal Rivera, Jordan Reed
D-Chiefs (Stream)
K-Cody Parkey

Wes Welker Poppin' Miley - 12 Team 1 PPR Auction (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex:RB/WR/TE, D, K)
QB-Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler
RB-DeMarco Murray, Arian Foster, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mark Ingram, Adrian Peterson
WR-Golden Tate, Vincent Jackson, Julian Edelman, Josh Gordon. Dwayne Bowe
TE-Greg Olsen
D-(Stream)
K-Matt Prater

#18 Holben

Holben

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

The perfect running game to complement Aaron Rodgers is a guy that can hammer between the tackles and keep the other team's linebackers hones. That's Lacy. To some extent, Starks can do that as well.

Franklin is just a different style of runner. He wants to get into space and beat people with his moves and his speed. A poor man's Shady McCoy is not a bad analogy.

Bottom line is that Franklin's style doesn't fit well with the Packers offense. Granted he was productive, but the Packers mostly used him as a check down target and ran him off tackle. And of course, that was when Cincy got a ton of pressure on Rodgers and took over and won the game.

If Rodgers continues to look pedestrian like he did yesterday, we need a checkdown target.

Everybody was Kung Fu Fightin - 12 Team 1 PPR Auction (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex:RB/WR/TE, D, K)
QB-Mark Sanchez
RB-Jamaal Charles, Rashad Jennings, Ahmad Bradshaw, Denard Robinson, Adrian Peterson, Travaris Cadet
WR-Antonio Brown, Pierre Garcon, Roddy White, Josh Gordon
TE-Mychal Rivera, Jordan Reed
D-Chiefs (Stream)
K-Cody Parkey

Wes Welker Poppin' Miley - 12 Team 1 PPR Auction (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex:RB/WR/TE, D, K)
QB-Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler
RB-DeMarco Murray, Arian Foster, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mark Ingram, Adrian Peterson
WR-Golden Tate, Vincent Jackson, Julian Edelman, Josh Gordon. Dwayne Bowe
TE-Greg Olsen
D-(Stream)
K-Matt Prater

#19 bt12483

bt12483

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

With the release of Ross, Franklin might be in line for KR duty.

#20 jspeed

jspeed

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

If Rodgers continues to look pedestrian like he did yesterday, we need a checkdown target.

What the Packers need is a RB that hits the line hard and fast. That keeps the pressure off of Rodgers and allows him to play like an MVP. A RB like Franklin allows the defense to tee off on Rodgers. And yes, if they are focused on stopping Rodgers and allowing the RB to do what he wants, the RB is going to tend to look good and Rodgers will look pedestrian. Obviously, that's not a winning formula for GB.

10 team private $$$ ppr league  *C*H*A*M*P*I*O*N*S*H*I*P* *G*A*M*E*
QB:  MStafford

RB: JCharles,  LMurray  (TMason, ICrowell, RHillman )
WR: JordyNelson, OBeckham, JoshGordon (JulioJones , DAdams, HDouglas)
TE:  TKelce
K: AVinitieri
DST: NYG (MIA)

12 Team Yahoo Public Auction 4th place

PG: KLowry, JTeague, BKnight, TBurke

SG: RCovington, KJ McDaniels

SF: CAnthony,GAntetokounmpo

PF: DCousins, OAsik

C: DJordan, RGobert, TMosgov