Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Roy Helu 2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
245 replies to this topic

#1 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

Helu has been being talked up in camp. Looked real nice in the first pre-season game. Is he any threat to Morris? Any chance we starting seeing Shananigans again?

#2 Prea

Prea

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

0 chance as long as Morris is healthy.

Edited by Prea, 08 August 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#3 whitehype

whitehype

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

you never know with Shanahan!!
12 team standard scoring
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 WR/RB, 1 TE, 1 DST, 1 K, 4 Bench

QB - T Romo, J Cutler
RB - R Bush, G Bernard,K Moreno, E Lacy, M Ball
WR - L Fitzgerald, D Bryant, J Nelson, H Nicks
TE -  M Bennet
K - M Crosby
D/ST - Ravens, Bengals

#4 Prea

Prea

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Morris looked way too good last year imo.

Helu could get involved in the pass game though.

#5 usurpedus

usurpedus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:39 PM

I think helu is more if a threat to alf's touches than his owners would like to believe.
12 team auction keeper league high stakes

qb: brees tannehill
rb: forte vereen thomas sproles
wr: jeffrey garcon gordon harvin moore
te: cook eiffert
k: bryant bironas
dst: bal cle

#6 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,887 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:51 PM

As a Helu dynasty owner since 2011, I think we're seeing what he can do when healthy. And, he's clearly the #2 guy IMO behind Alf. But, given how much WAS will look to control the ground game to protect RGIII more, I think it's wishful thinking to see any more than 3rd-down and occasional relief duties for Helu. Now, the one big IF - Alf's main strengths are his vision and his decisiveness - great for the 1-cut scheme. We all know Alf lacks speed - so the big thing to look for is if Alf gets nicked up (hammy, foot, ankle, etc.). That would kill his effectiveness, and open the door for Helu to grab a larger share. Unless that happens, though, hard to see anything other for Helu than 5-6 carries on non-3rd down, and the exclusive 3rd-down role (which believe me, I'd be happy to be wrong about). Ironically, health is what ruined Helu's chances last year to expand on his great 2011 stretch run - he'll need Alf to run into health issues to be anything but a handcuff IMO.

Helu's a great late-round PPR target because he's a high-ceiling handcuff, with 3rd-down abilities as a floor, assuming he's healthy, probably one of the top 3-4 handcuffs you want to target in the later rounds. Obviously, guys like Pierce & Tate have even higher value as handcuffs, but I think Helu's a pretty sneaky handcuff behind those guys, as in the event of injury, I could see a clear RB2 there with his skill set.

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#7 guru

guru

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:31 AM

added him in every league. butler was arian-like in his first year but...shanny is shanny. only problem is maybe royster is still there too, right? but i'm adding me a hell lot of helu

#8 Blu Exile

Blu Exile

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:46 AM

Morris is the truth, but Helu is still a good late round flier.

#9 Ruddskins

Ruddskins

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

I don't know what you were watching last night. Helu looked indecisive, slow to and through the hole and only began breaking tackles in later when the starters were out. Didn't see much in the pass game either. Royster similar bad performance imo; and that was against backups. They still have a 3rd down, change-of pace rookie RB named Jamison. He will start to get touches in the next preseason game. Morris will see the lion share of touches barring injury. Shanny is Shanny true. The only thing you can count on more than him switching up running backs is stroking his own ego. Morris as a 6th round pick; it strokes his ego every good game he has. He is going to ride Morris until he breaks down. Last year league rankings for Morris: 2nd in rushing yards, 2nd in first down runs, 2nd in rushing touchdowns, 2nd in runs of 10 yards or more (55), 2nd in 1st down rushes on 3rd down. Is he the fastest guy, no. Does he have the best cutting ability, no. But he hits the hole at full speed, never gets pushed backwards, and has more elusiveness then the defenders think. By the second half they try arm-tackling him because they are tired of getting run over.
Team 1: 10 team, PPR redraft league. All TDs 6pts:
QB Russel Wilson(Tony Romo)
Starting 2 RB: LeVeon Bell, Frank Gore
Starting 3 WR: Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Michael Floyd
W/R Terrance Williams (Steven Ridley, Trent Richardson, Carlos Hyde, Mike Evans, Mohammed Sanu)
TE Jimmy Graham (Dwayne Allen)
Def Buf
K Dan Bailey

Team 2: 12 team, 0.25 PPR, 0.5 pts for receiving/rushing 1st downs redraft league. All TDs 6pts
QB Matthew Stafford
Starting 2 RB: Matt Forte, Giovanni Bernard
Starting 2 WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Pierre Garcon
W/T Jeremy Maclin (Terrance Williams, Anquan Boldin, Sammy Watkins)
W/R/T Knile Davis (Bernard Pierce, Khiry Robinson)
Def Sea
K Cody Parkey

#10 MikeF

MikeF

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

I like Helu enough that I'm not going to draft Morris in any leagues and will try to snag Helu late. Just too many times I got killed by Shanahan before. You would think Morris should have a stranglehold on the job but if given the choice I'm taking Richardson, McCoy or any of the other RBs that project in the top 12 picks first.

#11 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,039 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

Helu looked really really really good today. I'd be concerned that having him back and full strength will likely reduce the workload of Alf Morris. I wouldnt be surprised to see Morris' carries drop from 334 to around 260/270.
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#12 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

I think helu is more if a threat to alf's touches than his owners would like to believe.

Yep, that's what Ryan Grant owners said too last season after the Skins signed him....

Not only was Morris a stud running the ball, he was the 2nd best pass blocker in the NFL last season. That sure helps when you have a QB who is one big hit away from hitting the IR again.

Edited by Sine_cera, 24 August 2013 - 07:56 PM.

Baseball and football are very different games. In a way, both of them are easy. Football is easy if you're crazy as hell. Baseball is easy if you've got patience. They'd both be easier for me if I were a little more crazy and a little more patient. ~ Bo Jackson

#13 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

I wouldn't say "0"

Posted Image

#14 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

Yep, that's what Ryan Grant owners said too last season after the Skins signed him....

Roy Helu in 2013 and Ryan Grant in 2012 are not comparable.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#15 Ned Ryerson

Ned Ryerson

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

I think helu is a guy that's not getting the proper pub this year and I love it.

#16 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,928 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

Helu is going to be a rising name going into the final week of draft season. I like his value as one of the top handcuffs on the board, especially in PPR formats. He's one of the few must-own cuffs and luckily for Morris owners, he's still coming pretty cheap.

#17 SecondString

SecondString

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

I wouldn't say "0"

Posted Image

Little bit different situation. Terrell Davis, who had been one of the NFL's leading rushers from '95-'98, returned healthy in 2001 and split carries with Anderson, who himself had injury issues during the year.

Edited by SecondString, 25 August 2013 - 07:14 AM.

#18 Dez Bryants Mama

Dez Bryants Mama

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Check out this Article

http://rotoviz.com/i...rd-on-roy-helu/

#19 bt12483

bt12483

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

I've always liked helu. His end of season run 2 years agowon me a championship

#20 Chardo

Chardo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

One of the most valuable handcuffs in the league. He has started 5 games in his career. In those 5 starts he averaged 26 touches for 130 yards. You know that Morris averaged 22/105 last year. If Helu becomes the starter, due to injury or (less likely) Shanahanigans, Helu becomes a legit RB1. He's one of the few backup RBs who could step into the starting job and immediately rack up killer numbers.