105 replies to this topic

#1 cam.mac

cam.mac

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Solid season in '12-'13, what's on the cards for this season? I'm guessing Olapido will eat into his minutes, but can either of them play SF?
16 Team, 8-cat H2H Dynasty League

PG - Chris Paul, Reggie Jackson, Kirk Hinrich
SG - Jamal Crawford, J.R. Smith, Danny Granger
SF - Harrison Barnes, Otto Porter, Andrei Kirilenko
PF - Jared Sullinger, Anthony Bennett
C - Chris Bosh, Enes Kanter, Steven Adams
IR - Joel Embiid

12 Team, 8-cat H2H 4 Keeper League

PG - Ty Lawson, Tony Parker, Jeff Teague, Jameer Nelson
SG - Danny Green, Dante Exum
SF - Giannis Antetokounmpo, Marvin Williams
PF - Paul Millsap, Jared Sullinger
C - Chris Bosh, Al Horford, Gorgui Dieng
IR -

#2 The Shark

The Shark

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

Harkless and Tobias will take all the SF minutes IMO. Since Oladipo will probably get some minutes at PG and he will probably come off the bench(at least to start the season), I believe that Afflalo will get 30-33MPG. I really think he will get traded though,most likely to a playoff team and he might be a lot less valuable fantasy wise there so id try to avoid taking Afflalo at any pick close to his ADP.

#3 christian

christian

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

“I know a lot of rumors are circling with Arron, we love Arron. We view Arron as almost a core player with us. It would have to be something crazy for us to part ways with Arron.”
-Orlando Magic Director of Pro Scouting Harold Ellis

So even with Oladipo nin the picture, it seems Afflalo will still get lots of time as a top option on the Magic team. I don't think he'll hit the 36 mpg he played last year with Oladipo around, but around 27-30 minutes sounds reasonable. If he remains as the starter in Orlando, he will no doubt be a very sneaky and safe pick at the end of drafts (he fell to rounds 12-13 in the mock drafts done on this forum). Great value pick if all goes well for him this year. But those are huge "ifs," as Orlando isn't much of a contender this season and may choose to develop their youngsters (Oladipo) as the season wears on.

Edited by christian, 19 August 2013 - 08:51 PM.

• g1sk8terz likes this

MFFL. 5 years of fantasy basketball experience.
12-team H2H dynasty, 8-cat, 3 IR, ESPN (LM) [since 2011-12] *2014 CHAMPION: 3-peat
G Chris Paul, Lowry, Dragic, Rajon Rondo, Jamal Crawford, Elfrid Payton, Aaron Brooks, Andre Roberson (IR)
F Ibaka, Millsap, Gordon Hayward, Nicolas Batum (IR), Ryan Anderson, Mirza Teletovic, Perry Jones (IR), Robert Covington
C Marc Gasol, Al Horford, Pau Gasol, Steven Adams, Mason Plumlee, Kris Humphries
20-team H2H keeper (5), 8-cat., 1 IR, ESPN [since 2011-12] *2014 CHAMPION, 2013 runner-up
G Ty Lawson, George Hill (IR), J.R. Smith, Donald Sloan, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

F LeBron James, Paul Millsap, Mirza Teletovic, Andre Iguodala, Josh McRoberts

C Serge Ibaka, Robin Lopez

14-team H2H keeper (5), 9 cat., Yahoo! [new] *Drafted (offline) July 2014, eighth pick in snake draft

G Brandon Knight, Jose Calderon, Jamal Crawford, Patrick Beverley, Evan Fournier
F Chris Bosh, Paul Pierce, DeMarre Carroll, Chris Copeland, Robert Covington, Paul George
C Al Horford, Brook Lopez

30-team H2H points dynasty, 2 IR, ESPN [new] *Started w/ Mavs pre-free agency roster (Ellis, Calderon, Dalembert, Wright, Ledo, Mekel)
G Mo Williams, Bojan Bogdanovic, Steve Blake, Shaun Livingston, Jordan Farmar, Ray McCallum, Nick Calathes (IR)
F Dwight Howard, P.J. Tucker, Terrence Ross, Patrick Patterson, Nikola Mirotic, Ryan Kelly (IR)
C Brook Lopez, Gorgui Dieng, Chris Kaman

#4 gsw

gsw

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

Yea, I really don't see how people are taking Oladipo before Afflalo. The guy is solid, and I believe will return much greater value for his ADP than Oladipo.

#5 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

Yea, I really don't see how people are taking Oladipo before Afflalo. The guy is solid, and I believe will return much greater value for his ADP than Oladipo.

People are much higher on Oladipo because his game appears to translate much better for fantasy purposes than Afflalo's. Check out Afflalo's uninspiring stat lines and rankings over the last 3 seasons:

http://rotomonster.c...e=Arron_Afflalo

To me, his most likely contribution will be around his 11-12 season stats. Oladipo on the other hand looks like he will be able to at least match Afflalo in PTS, REB, AST, while providing around 1 3PM per game. Lastly and most important, it looks like Oladipo is going to be a major factor in STL, potentially leading the league if he sees 30+MPG.

In fantasy basketball, I like to play it safe with my earlier picks and swing for the fences or take boring but very fantasy productive veterans later on, which leads me to pass on no-upside picks like Afflalo late in the draft.

#6 gsw

gsw

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

I know Afflalo is stunted due to his lack of steals. However, he provides decent counting stats and with less offensive responsibility, I believe he can regain his efficiency in FG% and TOs of years past. Thus, providing sneaky value for his ADP.

If Oladipo really does play PG, he may also lead the whole league in TOs. I'm also not so sure of his jumper as he did shoot pretty horribly in summer league. In standard 9-cat leagues Oladipo is way too overpriced for my liking. Rarely do rookie guards fare well in fantasy. When they do, they are much more polished than Oladipo (see Curry and Lillard).

Edited by gsw, 20 August 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#7 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

I know Afflalo is stunted due to his lack of steals. However, he provides decent counting stats and with less offensive responsibility, I believe he can regain his efficiency in FG% and TOs of years past. Thus, providing sneaky value for his ADP.

If Oladipo really does play PG, he may also lead the whole league in TOs. I'm also not so sure of his jumper as he did shoot pretty horribly in summer league. In standard 9-cat leagues Oladipo is way too overpriced for my liking. Rarely do rookie guards fare well in fantasy. When they do, they are much more polished than Oladipo (see Curry and Lillard).

I agree that Oladipo's FG% and TO will most likely be a big problem. I have no clue what his ADP will be but, with Afflalo not being traded, there will probably be a minutes crunch and his ADP will most likely be too high for my liking. He's not someone that I see myself targeting in drafts.

I hear what you're saying about Afflalo in one of the last rounds but I rather take a shot on someone like MKD, who should see a lot of minutes in CHA and could make a nice 2nd year leap.

#8 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

I don't think either of those guys are going to be around in the last rounds. MKG is a big sleeper this year. His shooting will take a while to improve considering it's probably an overhaul, but he should be a solid mid-late sleeper.

#9 cam.mac

cam.mac

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:37 PM

To me, his most likely contribution will be around his 11-12 season stats. Oladipo on the other hand looks like he will be able to at least match Afflalo in PTS, REB, AST, while providing around 1 3PM per game. Lastly and most important, it looks like Oladipo is going to be a major factor in STL, potentially leading the league if he sees 30+MPG.

In fantasy basketball, I like to play it safe with my earlier picks and swing for the fences or take boring but very fantasy productive veterans later on, which leads me to pass on no-upside picks like Afflalo late in the draft.

I suppose you're right about '11-'12 stats, seeing as he'll struggle to match 36mpg this season. Totally agree with you about his lack of upside too but I think he should represent his ADP or close to it and I'll take 15PPG with little upside late in the draft if I need to pad my scoring.. Depending on my team needs and how many SG's I have I think I'd be happy to pick him up late in the draft to bolster my PPG, FT & 3PM although his 3's inexplicably took a dip last season. I haven't heard any rumors about him this off-season, really just curious as to how much of a threat Oladipo will be minutes-wise and/or if Orlando are going all in with player development seeing as they have a pretty young squad now.

IR - Joel Embiid

IR -

#10 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

I suppose you're right about '11-'12 stats, seeing as he'll struggle to match 36mpg this season. Totally agree with you about his lack of upside too but I think he should represent his ADP or close to it and I'll take 15PPG with little upside late in the draft if I need to pad my scoring.. Depending on my team needs and how many SG's I have I think I'd be happy to pick him up late in the draft to bolster my PPG, FT & 3PM although his 3's inexplicably took a dip last season. I haven't heard any rumors about him this off-season, really just curious as to how much of a threat Oladipo will be minutes-wise and/or if Orlando are going all in with player development seeing as they have a pretty young squad now.

There's nothing inexplicable about it at all. Afflalo is not a great shot creator, and the talentless Orlando team he was on last year meant that defenses could afford to cover Afflalo a lot more closely on the perimeter. Expect the same again this season as long as Afflalo sticks around in Orlando.

#11 christian

christian

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

There's nothing inexplicable about it at all. Afflalo is not a great shot creator, and the talentless Orlando team he was on last year meant that defenses could afford to cover Afflalo a lot more closely on the perimeter. Expect the same again this season as long as Afflalo sticks around in Orlando.

Maybe, but Afflalo isn't as alone in Orlando anymore as he was last season. With everyone healthy and the younger players much improved, there should be lots of young talent surrounding him (Tobias Harris, Nikola Vucevic, Glen Davis returning, Maurice Harkless, Victor Oladipo). I could be wrong, but I think defenses won't be as uptight on him with several of those players capable of scoring. I mean, we all thought it was going to be only him and Big Baby immediately post-Dwight trade until Harris, Vucevic, and Harkless came on late.

Edited by christian, 22 August 2013 - 10:56 PM.

MFFL. 5 years of fantasy basketball experience.
12-team H2H dynasty, 8-cat, 3 IR, ESPN (LM) [since 2011-12] *2014 CHAMPION: 3-peat
G Chris Paul, Lowry, Dragic, Rajon Rondo, Jamal Crawford, Elfrid Payton, Aaron Brooks, Andre Roberson (IR)
F Ibaka, Millsap, Gordon Hayward, Nicolas Batum (IR), Ryan Anderson, Mirza Teletovic, Perry Jones (IR), Robert Covington
C Marc Gasol, Al Horford, Pau Gasol, Steven Adams, Mason Plumlee, Kris Humphries
20-team H2H keeper (5), 8-cat., 1 IR, ESPN [since 2011-12] *2014 CHAMPION, 2013 runner-up
G Ty Lawson, George Hill (IR), J.R. Smith, Donald Sloan, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

F LeBron James, Paul Millsap, Mirza Teletovic, Andre Iguodala, Josh McRoberts

C Serge Ibaka, Robin Lopez

14-team H2H keeper (5), 9 cat., Yahoo! [new] *Drafted (offline) July 2014, eighth pick in snake draft

G Brandon Knight, Jose Calderon, Jamal Crawford, Patrick Beverley, Evan Fournier
F Chris Bosh, Paul Pierce, DeMarre Carroll, Chris Copeland, Robert Covington, Paul George
C Al Horford, Brook Lopez

30-team H2H points dynasty, 2 IR, ESPN [new] *Started w/ Mavs pre-free agency roster (Ellis, Calderon, Dalembert, Wright, Ledo, Mekel)
G Mo Williams, Bojan Bogdanovic, Steve Blake, Shaun Livingston, Jordan Farmar, Ray McCallum, Nick Calathes (IR)
F Dwight Howard, P.J. Tucker, Terrence Ross, Patrick Patterson, Nikola Mirotic, Ryan Kelly (IR)
C Brook Lopez, Gorgui Dieng, Chris Kaman

#12 cam.mac

cam.mac

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

Good point. I'll admit he's not somebody I've followed a lot, so I'm not familiar with his tendencies, I received him on the back end of a trade late last season and he was a decent bench guy.. No doubt he had more open looks in Denver which is why he made more 3's while taking less.

IR - Joel Embiid

IR -

#13 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

Afflalo is a good 4th or 5th guy on a championship team. Too bad he has to play leader on this young team. Not sure how that's going to work out. Maybe they can go for a Pistons approach. Great team defense, distributed offense.

#14 Pirate

Pirate

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

I wouldn't reach on him. He's solid but his big upside was 3's with fg% and low to's
The last two have dipped a bit.

Edited by Pirate, 25 August 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#15 tofuball

tofuball

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

Will he be getting enough minutes to be worth keeping around this season?

Edited by Patrick Bateman, 30 October 2013 - 01:19 PM.
AC Content Removed

#16 Master

Master

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

Why do you expect his minutes to go down? I assume they don't have many scorers

#17 tofuball

tofuball

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Why do you expect his minutes to go down? I assume they don't have many scorers

I thought Oladipo would cut into his playing time

#18 tofuball

tofuball

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

Good stuff!

#19 thetomkuczek

thetomkuczek

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

How do you guys view him as a pickup short/long term? I think Oladipo will cut his minutes a lot in the future, correct?

H2H Points League - 12 Team League

PG - Ty Lawson, Isaiah Thomas
SG - Eric Bledsoe, Arron Afflalo
SF - Gordon Hayward, Kevin Martin, Danilo Gallinari, Shawne Williams
PF - LaMarcus Aldridge, Draymond Green
C - DeMarcus Cousins, Robin Lopez, Kelly Olynyk, Alex Len

IR Jose Calderon 

IR David Lee

#20 Rbra4176

Rbra4176

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

How do you guys view him as a pickup short/long term? I think Oladipo will cut his minutes a lot in the future, correct?

I just picked him up for at least the short term. Oladipo will definitely cut into his minutes eventually, but for now Afflalo is playing hard to keep his starting job so I see him being solid only for short term. Plus, the magic are showcasing Afflalo for trades.

Edited by Rbra4176, 02 November 2013 - 03:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users