260 replies to this topic

#1 dabeesta17

dabeesta17

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:25 AM

We know Torrey Smith is the #1 guy in Baltimore. The #2 position is wide open. UDFA Marlon Brown caught 4 passes for 59 yards and a TD tonight vs. Carolina...all from Joe Flacco with the first-team offense. A little about Brown: 6'5, 210...ran a 4.5 coming out of high school and was ranked the #2 receiver coming out of high school in 2009.

http://ohiostate.sco...c=1&nid=3145458

He went undrafted because he tore his ACL last year and didn't put up "great" numbers throughout his career at Georgia. He ran a 4.5 coming out of high school, didn't participate in the combine (due to injury), but read he's since clock in at 4.57 and 4.65, thus still getting his strength back.

http://www.georgiado...own_646525.html

http://youtu.be/BZbBl_CV8rk

Jacoby Jones is the nominal #2 in Baltimore, while Tandon Doss is #3...both of whom have done next to nothing in the pre-season. Definitely worth a pickup in 12-team leagues and definitely worth a late round draft pick.

Edited by dabeesta17, 23 August 2013 - 12:28 AM.

16-team keeper league (keepers in italics), long TD bonus, yardage bonuses, 5 rec = 1pt, 10 rec = 5 pts

#2 CuI2iousGeoI2ge

CuI2iousGeoI2ge

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:29 AM

can he catch a football

#3 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

Apparently he tore his ACL around November 4th, 2012. That makes him a pretty risky pick in my book.

Unless he had an Adrian Peterson recovery.
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#4 Jason497

Jason497

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

He has Joe Flacco throwing to him, that makes him pretty risky in my book too.
  • nonstopfan likes this
Drafted Josh Gordon 9/2/14
WW Claimed Josh Gordon 9/3/14 (after he was drafted in 6th round and dropped)

#5 raltherr

raltherr

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

He looked pretty solid last night. I definitely have him on my radar now.

#6 Rather B. Winning

Rather B. Winning

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

He's a guy to watch for sure. He looked really good last night snatching the ball, meaning he didn't wait for it to come to him, he just grabbed it. Very Boldin-esque from that standpoint. But Brown is much faster and bigger than Q.

As a Ravens fan, I'm very excited. As a Fantasy player, not so much but only because the Ravens offense just isn't built to put gobs of points on the board. Our defense could be scary good this year too, so I see going old school and taking the air out of the ball behind Rice, Pearce, and perhaps Anthony Allen and Bobby Rainey.

In deep leagues is Brown worth a flyer? Yeah, but I still have him behind Thompkins, Patterson, et al.
All hail the World Champion Baltimore Ravens!!!

#7 Blu Exile

Blu Exile

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

Risky pick? He cost nothing.

#8 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,784 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

By risky, I meant starting him if you have better options. If the Ravens aren't forced to throw, he could potentially put up a low total. If he has a setback with his knee (think of the many guys that had subpar seasons coming off an ACL tear, then extrapolate a little lower since this kid is a rookie being thrust into the fire only out of necessity), it all just feels like this hype train could derail really, really easily.

Remember how long Ryan Broyles took to crack the starting lineup last season? And then he managed to tear his (other) ACL shortly after becoming a full-time starter.

Danario Alexander's ACL disintegrated this offseason.

I think he's an interesting name, but there are currently multiple other WR fliers I'd rather take that I think have a better chance of panning out, with less risk, and probably the same amount of upside.

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#9 dabeesta17

dabeesta17

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

By risky, I meant starting him if you have better options. If the Ravens aren't forced to throw, he could potentially put up a low total.

Umm....what WR in the league outside of Calvin Johnson does this not pertain too? The only thing you "risk" with Brown is a 10th or later round pick or waiver pick-up.
16-team keeper league (keepers in italics), long TD bonus, yardage bonuses, 5 rec = 1pt, 10 rec = 5 pts

#10 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

Can you really be that excited about this guy if their supposed pretend #1 Torrey Smith has done absolutely nothing this preseason?

#11 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

By risky, I meant starting him if you have better options. If the Ravens aren't forced to throw, he could potentially put up a low total. If he has a setback with his knee (think of the many guys that had subpar seasons coming off an ACL tear, then extrapolate a little lower since this kid is a rookie being thrust into the fire only out of necessity), it all just feels like this hype train could derail really, really easily.

Remember how long Ryan Broyles took to crack the starting lineup last season? And then he managed to tear his (other) ACL shortly after becoming a full-time starter.

Danario Alexander's ACL disintegrated this offseason.

I think he's an interesting name, but there are currently multiple other WR fliers I'd rather take that I think have a better chance of panning out, with less risk, and probably the same amount of upside.

Just curious, who's the other names on your list?

I thought Brown was solid. I think anytime a player on a weaker receiving corps makes plays with the first team, you've gotta put it on notice. He's on my watch list.
THE UNIT

QB: Brady
RB: McCoy, Forte
WR: Gordon, Brown, Patterson, Cooks, Hunter
TE: Rudolph, Ertz
DEF: Rams
K: Bryant

"The shadows betray you because they belong to me"

#12 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

I'm always looking for a nice sleeper to take on. I have Kenny Stills right now. Maybe I'll add Brown
THE UNIT

#13 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,784 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

Do we all have really low expectations, or, since when has 57 receiving yards been considered a "breakout" performance?

I seem to remember Miles Austin having 250 receiving yards his breakout game...and three TDs.
  • AshesAndLaughter likes this

#14 dabeesta17

dabeesta17

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

Do we all have really low expectations, or, since when has 57 receiving yards been considered a "breakout" performance?

I seem to remember Miles Austin having 250 receiving yards his breakout game...and three TDs.

Only people who have used the term "breakout" are you and Rotoworld blurb writers...which is obviously a major overstatement.

#15 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

Definitely not a breakout performance, but when you look at the state of the Ravens receivers I think it's more than reasonable to take notice
  • dabeesta17 likes this
THE UNIT

#16 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,784 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

Haha, you're right, I was thinking about that blurb.

#17 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

Anybody picking him up?
THE UNIT

#18 dabeesta17

dabeesta17

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

Last week: 4 catches, 59 yards (all from Flacco) and a TD.
Tonight 4 catches, 79 yards and a TD; and the game isn't even over yet.
This guy is Baltimore #2 receiver sooner rather than later.

#19 Dr.Funktopus

Dr.Funktopus

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

Who would you take a late round flier on...

AC issue removed - please post in AC Forum.
12 Team Auction Keeper League - 0.5 per Reception (2013):
QB: Peyton Manning;
RBs: Matt Forte, Eddie Lacy
WRs: Demaryius Thomas (K), Keenan Allen, T.Y. Hilton (K)
TE: Vernon Davis; Flex: Kendall Wright
K: Blair Walsh; Def: St. Louis Rams
Bench: Jordan Reed, Riley Cooper, Steven Jackson
Michael Crabtree, DeAngelo Williams, Jordan Todman

12 Team Auction Keeper League - 0.5 per Reception (2014):
QB: Aaron Rodgers;
RBs: Eddie Lacy (K), DeMarco Murray
WRs: Demaryius Thomas (K), Keenan Allen (K), Mike Wallace
TE: Zach Ertz; Flex: Rashad Jennings
K: Mason Crosby; Def: Denver Broncos
Bench: Steven Jackson, Mohammed Sanu, Andrew Hawkins, Brian Quick,
Benny Cunningam, Cody Latimer, Ben Roethlisberger, Malcolm Floyd

#20 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Looking for a 2 for 1 trade so I have the roster room to pick this guy up. Ravens receiving corps are decimated and he could be a stud
THE UNIT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users