Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Markus Wheaton 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 El_Chingon

El_Chingon

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

Already considered a better all-around WR than Mike Wallace by the Steelers organization, this kid only has Cotchery keeping him from #3 WR role in Pittsburgh despite having to miss rookie OTAs. I like him to quickly surpass Cotchery and establish some flex value this season. I'm all over this kid in dynasty formats, due to Sanders probably leaving in free agency after this season.

#2 whips02

whips02

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,627 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

Im keeping my eye on him for sure

#3 Major

Major

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

If he can emerge as the 2011 Wallace he'd be a steal anywhere you can get him. Couple issues though:

1) Haley doesn't have the gunslinger mentality that Arians had
2) Sanders and Brown and very clearly the starters

The Steelers aren't really an offense that can support 3 WRs also. They don't throw enough and they like to run in the redzone. Definitely a situation a monitor though. I believe Sanders is in a contract year and if he has a subpar year in the middle of the season and Wheaton impresses I can see him overtaking him as a starter. He looks every bit as good as Wallace, minus the speed. Hopefully without the drops too.

#4 TheLakeShow

TheLakeShow

Single-A

• Probationary Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

He looks every bit as good as Wallace, minus the speed.

I don't know about that, he isn't the laser down the field that Wallace was, but he definitely has football speed and some wiggle to his game. I like him a lot, especially as a 12th round flier. However there is a big Steeelers fan in my draft that is probably aware of Wheaton. Aside from the Steelers fan, there might only be one other person aware of him in my league.

#5 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

Evan Silva calls him "the most impressive rookie WR" he's seen in August, and he has him at #118 of his top 150. Anybody else share this high opinion of him? You'd rather have him in PPR over the likes of Lance Moore, Greg Little, Alshon Jeffrey, Justin Blackmon, Brandon LaFell, Brian Hartline, Nate Washington? Because that's the guys that are listed behind Wheaton.

Trying to figure out if he's worth rostering as my WR4 over any of the above. Not likely going to play any of the above anyway, so maybe I just grab him and wait during the season to see what happens.

#6 Dr.Funktopus

Dr.Funktopus

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

If he can emerge as the 2011 Wallace he'd be a steal anywhere you can get him. Couple issues though:

1) Haley doesn't have the gunslinger mentality that Arians had
2) Sanders and Brown and very clearly the starters

I take the other side on both these concerns you raised.

On point 1: Yes, this offense is not the high-speed streak down the field Arians offense of old, but that is exactly why Wheaton is a better fit for the current offense. where wallace may be / is the fastest receiver right now in the game, he was never quick start and stop, acceleration out of cuts and stopping on the dime type of receiver. This is exactly what Wheaton is being praised for - its actually pricesly the point being made in the little blurb about him on RW (i.e., better fit)

On Point 2: Yes of course Brown and Sanders are clearly the starters, but I have been after these guys every year when they were unknown sleepers, known sleepers, and then in the case of Brown, when they were fantasy relevent. There is only one clear consistency these two WRs do, and that is get injured. Dont get me wrong, they are very talented players, but Sanders has been injured many times over the last three seasons, and was what enabled Brown to break out two years ago. As for Brown, part of the reason why he didnt make an impact his rookie season was injuries, and last year started out the season injured (though played well) and then lost 3/4 weeks to an ankle injury. I dont like to play the injury card often because everyone in the NFL can get injured, but when you are looking at a WR (esp a rookie) who make a mid0season impact, these are the things you need to look for to spot the chance for opportunity. I think these guys are solid Fantasy players, but I question whther both will start all 16 games. If they dont, Wheaton will have an impact.

12 Team Auction Keeper League - 0.5 per Reception (2013):
QB: Peyton Manning;
RBs: Matt Forte, Eddie Lacy
WRs: Demaryius Thomas (K), Keenan Allen, T.Y. Hilton (K)
TE: Vernon Davis; Flex: Kendall Wright
K: Blair Walsh; Def: St. Louis Rams
Bench: Jordan Reed, Riley Cooper, Steven Jackson
Michael Crabtree, DeAngelo Williams, Jordan Todman

12 Team Auction Keeper League - 0.5 per Reception (2014):
QB: Aaron Rodgers;
RBs: Eddie Lacy (K), DeMarco Murray
WRs: Demaryius Thomas (K), Keenan Allen (K), Mike Wallace
TE: Martellus Bennett; Flex: Rashad Jennings
K: Mason Crosby; Def: Detroit Lions

Bench: Steven Jackson, Zach Ertz, Andrew Hawkins, Brian Quick,
Andre Williams, Andre Holmes, Ben Roethlisberger, Malcolm Floyd

#7 Dr.Funktopus

Dr.Funktopus

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

Trying to figure out if he's worth rostering as my WR4 over any of the above. Not likely going to play any of the above anyway, so maybe I just grab him and wait during the season to see what happens.

He is not a WR4, he is a 5 at best, but more a flier to stash on your team - I know I did in a very deep keeper league

#8 ipg46

ipg46

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

I don't know how many bench slots you guys play with, but with 5 on the bench I don't see how rostering this guy in the hope that he gets PROMOTED to a WR 3 halfway through the season makes any sense.

Yahoo League (Going for the Three-Peat!) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF, IDP / 6 pts all TDs / 1 point=50 pass yards or 15 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Drew Brees, Marques Colston, Wes Welker, Greg Jennings, Josh Gordon, LeVeon Bell, Matt Asiata, Toby Gerhart, Ben Tate, Ray Rice, Zach Ertz, LeGarrette Blount

ESPN League (Runner up 2 years running--looking for the win!) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF / 4 pts pass TDs; 6 pts all others / 1 point=20 pass yards or 10 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Aaron Rodgers, Randall Cobb, Mike Wallace, Michael Floyd, Josh Gordon, Ben Tate, Frank Gore, Ray Rice, Stevan Ridley, Fred Jackson, Vernon Davis, Larry Donnell, Carlos Hyde

#9 Dr.Funktopus

Dr.Funktopus

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

I don't know how many bench slots you guys play with, but with 5 on the bench I don't see how rostering this guy in the hope that he gets PROMOTED to a WR 3 halfway through the season makes any sense.

To be clear, I have 8 bench spots after 8 starters, a kicker and a DEF...

So ya, I'll be taking a stash chance on this guy

#10 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,741 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Pretty excited for this guy as a sleeper. Between him and my rookie saints WR, I just hope one pans out.

SIG UPDATED FOR NFL WEEK 6

"Formerly" All About the Benjamin

2nd Place
12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Steve Smith (Backups Michael Crabtree and Cordarrelle Patterson)

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy
TE Kelce (backup Cameron)
FLEX Ben Tate (can also play cordarrelle or crabtree here)

#11 RotoMaster

RotoMaster

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

He is definitely lasting late in drafts, so if you have a chance in a moderately deep league, go for it. 15th Round for me yesterday.

#12 Thekid1310

Thekid1310

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

Love the guy, but I had to drop him to take a chance on someone else.

#13 charliehustler

charliehustler

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

Evan Silva calls him "the most impressive rookie WR" he's seen in August, and he has him at #118 of his top 150. Anybody else share this high opinion of him? You'd rather have him in PPR over the likes of Lance Moore, Greg Little, Alshon Jeffrey, Justin Blackmon, Brandon LaFell, Brian Hartline, Nate Washington? Because that's the guys that are listed behind Wheaton.

No way I'd take him over any of those guys. He is the number 4 on his team as of now. I have no need for him unless he's starting at x or z.
12 team .5 PPR

QB(1) Romo Dalton
RB(2) Martin Vereen JBell Sproles DBrown
WR/TE(3) Dez Nelson Harvin Cameron Hunter Dobson
K(1)Houshka
D(1)Cardinals Saints

#14 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,741 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

No way I'd take him over any of those guys. He is the number 4 on his team as of now. I have no need for him unless he's starting at x or z.

He's #3 on his team, unless I've missed something.

2nd Place
12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy

#15 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

Crotchery is #3 at this time but Wheaton has a shot to overtake him as the season progresses.

#16 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,741 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

im pretty sure wheaton has had more time with the 1s than cotch in recent weeks/games.

2nd Place
12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy

#17 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

Despite the mini buzz on Wheaton and the now out of control hype on Kenbrell Thompkins, history suggests that very few rookie WRs make an impact with 1000 yard seasons. I'd still go with Lance Moore, Alshon Jeffrey, or Brian Hartline over either Wheaton or Thompkins. Thompkins would be close but definitely Wheaton belongs on waivers if these other guys are available to you. He's either the third or fourth WR in Pittsburgh, needs to climb the depth chart, and the Steelers are just a mess right now.

#18 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

as a Sanders owner I'm definitely hoping Wheaton starts slow and has the typical rookie season. Which I think will be the case. Definitely don't think he's worth owning in a redraft
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#19 scienergy

scienergy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

Time to fire up this train. It's a stretch to think he'll do anything (more rookie WR don't) but he's an interesting prospect for dynasty leagues.

Just read that Wheaton's locker is next to Ben's, and that Ben has been making efforts to become friends with Wheaton off the field. He says he knows Wheaton will be a huge playmaker and an important receiver for them. He trusts him, and looks forward to his opportunities. Says Wheaton is very smart and has picked up the playbook without issue. Says mistakes, if any, come from route depth or trying to juke defenders like he did in college.

http://espn.go.com/b...up-for-steelers

"I’m trying to really develop a relationship with him on and off the field. I think it’s important because I think he is a guy that we can use as a weapon.”

#20 Dr.Funktopus

Dr.Funktopus

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

^ Great news! Glad I stashed him on my team. Definitely worth rostering if you have a deep bench league.