Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

12-Team Auction Strategy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyBirdSA

DirtyBirdSA

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

I'm in a 12-team auction tomorrow night and I'm trying to settle which hybrid/budget strategy I want to roll with. First, it's obvious that you have to be flexible during the auction. If Top RBs are going high, you either jump in the fray or hold back for a few values and depth. This is where my question starts:

1) In 8-teams, you have to go for Studs/Duds. In 10-team, a tad more balanced. In 12-team, do you go for depth or a balanced/hybrid approach? Which way have you seen more people win championships with? Studs/Duds or Balanced/Hybrid approches?

2) Given the depth at QB, WR, and TE (after Graham), I'm basing the flow of my draft on RBs. Which lineup do you think works best in a 12-team for RBs in which you start 2RBs and a Flex (RB/WR) each week:

Team 1: Top 10 RB1, 1 Top 10-15 RB2, 2 Top 20-25 RB3 (depends on price), RB5: Sleepers/Handcuffs
(Example: McCoy, Bush, Lacy, Gio, Bryce Brown)

Team 2: 2 Top 10 RB1s, 2 Top 20-30 RBs, plus 1 Flier/Handcuff RB (example: TRich, Rice, Lacy, Bradshaw, Pierce)

Team 3: 2 Top 10-15 RBs, 1 Top 15-20 RB, 2 Top 20-25 RBs/Handcuffs/Fliers (Ridley, Forte, Murray, Gio, DRich, Vereen

Which RB lineup do you like better in a 12-team?

Obviously the players can change, but you can see the general idea.

Edited by DirtyBirdSA, 23 August 2013 - 11:13 PM.

#2 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

I like to get my top picks right out of the gate. Waiting around has always either gotten me "value" guys that I didnt really want, or its gotten me into the middle of an all out brawl for the best available at the position because people are panicking about a run on players.

Spend big on my first couple, and then ill pick my spots to get good value and fill in with what little money I have less.

This year I went: Rice, Foster, Fitz. I kept Gonzo and R Wilson from last season for $10 a piece. WR2/3 are basically where im extremely weak, so i need to be aggressive on the WW with my FAAB budget. My draft strategy went exactly as planned, since WR is the easiest position to fill in from the WW imo.

#3 DirtyBirdSA

DirtyBirdSA

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:40 PM

Thanks. I've been really thinking of Studs/Duds and hope that one of the backend Top 18-25 guys comes out as a very solid RB2 or Flex. The WR position I'm thinking of doing the same with, since there are a ton of WR3/4s that could perform as WR2.

#4 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:03 AM

Thanks. I've been really thinking of Studs/Duds and hope that one of the backend Top 18-25 guys comes out as a very solid RB2 or Flex. The WR position I'm thinking of doing the same with, since there are a ton of WR3/4s that could perform as WR2.

I ended up with Ivory for $10 ($200 league) pretty late in the draft. Im not stoked about him, but at least he'll supposedly be a featured back. I few shrewd moves could easily turn my team into a juggernaut. I figured Gonzo would be my WR2, which would actually only leave me weak at WR3 and TE.

This is my first year going with a full on studs/duds strategy, so hopefully it works out.

#5 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:03 AM

Go get

Vick
Christine
Felix Jones
Kenbrell
DeAndre
Sudfeld
Bernard

and your team will be perfect.

For some reason.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting