47 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,910 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Perhaps this is why he's sucked the last two years.....

http://probasketball...partner=ya5nbcs

We’ll begin this report by stating the obvious, which is that Lamar Odom played in the NBA for the Clippers last season without incident, and has not failed a league-mandated drug test since 2001.
With that being said, we also cannot ignore the report that is out there.

TMZ, an organization that is admittedly more interested in Odom’s relationship with Khloe Kardashian than they are with his NBA career, is reporting that Odom’s “hardcore drug abuse” is the reason that the marriage between Odom and Kardashian is “in crisis.”

"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#2 The Shark

The Shark

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Have to say im really sympathetic towards him because of all the tragic events in his life so far and I wish him all the best

#3 TheOneAboveAll

TheOneAboveAll

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

I feel bad for him and I wish him the best. Hopefully he straighten things out. Now strictly speaking about our beloved game, the NBA really needs to step up their drug-testing policy. That includes PED's.

#4 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:I like-a table tennis, a sun bathe, and a shoot dog.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

I feel bad for the guy, but I'm happy that the NBA looks at drug use/addiction as the medical problem and not just a criminal activity (which is why even though Chris Andersen got caught abusing hard drugs, he's an NBA champ after completing treatment and suspension). Lamar Odom has the prototypical background of an addict (the two major pieces of the puzzle are childhood trauma - check - and an immediate family history of addiction - check) so I really hope he gets the help he needs, maybe this will motivate him enough to do it. I don't know if anyone saw, but they had TMZ on in the gym the other day before any of this came out, and they showed Lamar stealing a paparazzi's gear and everyone said he looked high as hell, he couldn't even get the trunk of his car closed, maybe there's something to hat.
How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#5 christian

christian

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

I won't lie, I'm still a bit bitter towards Lamar Odom as a Mavs fan, but drug addiction is pretty serious. I hope he's able to check himself before he wrecks himself further. It looks like besides all the emotions and tragedies he had to deal with two years ago, and now this fiasco being exposed to the limelight, have taken a toll on him (Makes me perfectly content to never become a famous celebrity hounded by the media and papparazi.)....Kinda gotta feel bad for the dude. I hope he's able to find good support systems and get his career back on track. If he hadn't gone downhill, he could still be a potential Sixth Man of the Year.....

Either way, I gotta wonder how this will affect his chances of re-signing with the Clippers. Maybe this will affect Antawn Jamison's chances at getting a foot back into LA? But all in all, he'll have almost 0 fantasy relevance unless you're in an uber deep league.

Edited by christian, 24 August 2013 - 05:36 PM.

MFFL. 5 years of fantasy basketball experience.
12-team H2H dynasty, 8-cat, 3 IR, ESPN (LM) [since 2011-12] *2014 CHAMPION: 3-peat (130-22, 1/12)
G Chris Paul, Kyle Lowry (IR), Goran Dragic, R. Rondo (IR), Jamal Crawford, Elfrid Payton, Wesley Johnson, Devin Harris

F Horford, Millsap, Batum, Gordon Hayward, Ryan Anderson, Matt Barnes, Mirza Teletovic, Glen Rice Jr., Chris Copeland
C Serge Ibaka, Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol, Steven Adams, Mason Plumlee, DeJuan Blair (IR)
20-team H2H keeper (5), 8-cat., 1 IR, ESPN [since 2011-12] *2014 CHAMPION, 2013 runner-up (95-32-1, 2/20)

G Ty Lawson, George Hill, J.R. Smith, Andre Iguodala, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Wesley Johnson

F/C LeBron James, Serge Ibaka, Paul Millsap, Robin Lopez, Mirza Teletovic

30-team H2H points dynasty, 2 IR, ESPN [new] *Started w/ Mavs pre-free agency roster (Ellis, Calderon, Dalembert, Wright, Ledo, Mekel)
G Terrence Ross/Bojan Bogdanovic/Mo Williams/Jordan Farmar/Ray McCallum/Shaun Livingston (IR)/Nick Calathes (IR)
F P.J. Tucker/Nikola Mirotic/Patrick Patterson/Ryan Kelly
C Dwight Howard/Brook Lopez/Gorgui Dieng
14-team H2H keeper (5), 9 cat., Yahoo! [new] *Drafted (offline) July 2014, eighth pick in snake draft
G Jose Calderon, Jamal Crawford, Patrick Beverley, Anthony Morrow
F Chris Bosh, Pau Gasol, Paul Pierce, DeMarre Carroll, Paul George
C Al Horford, Brook Lopez, Miles Plumlee, Samuel Dalembert

10-team Roto, 8 cat., ESPN [redraft] *Drafted 9/20/14, last pick in snake draft

G Russell Westbrook/Gordon Hayward/Kyle Korver/Patrick Beverley/Reggie Jackson

F/C DeMarcus Cousins/Chris Bosh/Horford/Batum/Chandler Parsons/Ryan Anderson/Markieff Morris/Terrence Jones

#6 tremixt

tremixt

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

How are we sure this rumor isn't fabricated? I'm not inclined to give much weight to a rumor that originated from the "Kardashian camp."

I googled some more on this and my question is, if his drug use is as hardcore as these rumors make it out to be, how is that he's been clean, according to NBA drug tests, since 01? Either the NBA's drug testing program is a sham or this entire story belongs in the The National Enquirer.

I still believe the fallout with the Lakers really devastated him and he's been able to recover, on the cout.

Edited by tremixt, 25 August 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#7 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

I am not sure if there is a non-hard core coke addiction. I'm assuming this addiction is a new thing of course. Hope he gets out of it. I'm sure he's made enough money in his career to even retire aleady. Get your life together and enjoy a long a** retirement!

#8 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,910 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

3 day crack binge......Wow, that's much stronger than his addiction to gummy savers.

Dat boy going New Jack.....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#9 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

Who knew the candy addiction was either just the surface or his way to deal with something more serious, like (to a way lesser extent) smokers chewing gum. It's really too bad, for anyone to be afflicted with this.

#10 elrey

elrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:20 AM

How are we sure this rumor isn't fabricated? I'm not inclined to give much weight to a rumor that originated from the "Kardashian camp."

I googled some more on this and my question is, if his drug use is as hardcore as these rumors make it out to be, how is that he's been clean, according to NBA drug tests, since 01? Either the NBA's drug testing program is a sham or this entire story belongs in the The National Enquirer.

I still believe the fallout with the Lakers really devastated him and he's been able to recover, on the cout.

NBA drug testing is the worst of the major sports. Also allegedly Odom was clean during the season and relapsed in the offseason.

#11 keep it ONE hunnid

keep it ONE hunnid

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

Crack cocaine?? Wtf why doesnt he just do pure coke? Hahahahah

#12 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,953 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

Really sad because he seems like a nice guy. Unfortunately, I don't see this ending well. If that Kardashian clan can't get him clean, he's toast. Going to be one of those really sad stories one day of a guy that had it all and then ended up smoking his entire life away.

He's had a tough life but it turned out REALLY well.

2014 12 team 5x5 H2H League - Runner up!

2014 14 team 0.5 PPR League

QB - Rodgers

RB - Bradshaw, Tate, Vereen, SJAX, Brown

WR - Julio, Steve "Ice Up, Son!" Smith, Boldin, Sanu

TE - Kelce, Miller

K - Parker

DEF - Stream City

#13 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

This story very well could be BS, although even TMZ is careful about running a false story multiple times w/o confirmation from multiple sources, which is why I thought it was BS after the 1st one, but now it's looking not so good. As for your drug testing program comment though, that would be true for pretty much every other drug except crack/coke, which is by far the easiest drug to not get caught using on a drug test with, especially even if you have even he vaguest idea of when the test will be. The reasons are, first, crack/coke has the shortest half life of pretty much any drug of abuse at around 60 minutes (to put in perspective; heroin 3-5hrs, meth 9-12hrs, weed >30hrs, etc) which is why the effects only last 10-30 min and people need to re-dose. Also, the nature of stimulant abuse is totally different than that of depressant abuse like opiates/benzos/severe alcohol in that the abuse isn't constant to avoid withdrawal, instead, it's based on intense binges and periods of recovery/refractory. That's why people addicted to stimulants are also able to hide it longer, especially in college or the celeb lifestyle, bc they're able to combine it with their hard partying and just use recovering from that as the excuse for being out of commission. I don't know if Odom is using, but if there is a drug that is easy to use w/o detection via drug screen, it's crack/coke.
  • tremixt likes this

#14 And Won

And Won

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

Yeah those Kardashian sisters love to assasinate their mens' character. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

As someone who's been around drugs I can't see the appeal of crack when you have plenty of money for cocaine. 72 hours seems a little long for a binge too, not sure if that's a realistic. Maybe they had him kidnapped or something?

#15 StuPitt

StuPitt

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

If this tests true isn't he banned for life? I remember earlier in his career he got busted twice and I remember teams would not trade for him because he had two strikes. Is this still true or did the NBA change their drug policy? I believe both Michael Ray Richardson and Roy Tarpley got the ban in the past.

Edited by StuPitt, 26 August 2013 - 02:57 PM.

12 Team Redraft PPR League (QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, TE, FLEX, K, DEF)
QB Cam Newton, Andy Dalton
RB Alfred Morris, Ahmad Bradshaw, Pierre Thomas, Matt Asiata, Knile Davis, Jerrick McKinnon, Ryan Mathews, Ronnie Hillman
WR AJ Green, Marques Colston, Terrence Williams
TE Owen Daniels
K Matt Bryant

DEF Houston

#16 And Won

And Won

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

His career is about over either way, no?

#17 jayreyd

jayreyd

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

If this tests true isn't he banned for life? I remember earlier in his career he got busted twice and I remember teams would not trade for him because he had two strikes. Is this still true or did the NBA change their drug policy? I believe both Michael Ray Richardson and Roy Tarpley got the ban in the past.

Can you penalize someone without concrete facts like a failed test? But yeah his career was dwindling. He was still good enough to make a team though.
I got my Landry Fields Raps jersey.... Do you?

#18 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

Yeah those Kardashian sisters love to assasinate their mens' character. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

As someone who's been around drugs I can't see the appeal of crack when you have plenty of money for cocaine. 72 hours seems a little long for a binge too, not sure if that's a realistic. Maybe they had him kidnapped or something?

As someone who worked with a lot of addicts during my residency, the few middle class/affluent I met that used crack said that they did it bc they preferred the intensity of it even though it doesn't last as long. This is bc the lungs get the drug to the heart and ultimately the brain much faster than the mucosal lining of the nose. Snorting coke actually gets more drug to the brain ultimately, but it's not as hard/intense. Granted this could be totally wrong, you know, since crack heads told me this haha, but from an anatomical perspective it does make sense.

Can you penalize someone without concrete facts like a failed test? But yeah his career was dwindling. He was still good enough to make a team though.

You cannot penalize someone, legally or officially with something like termination (i.e. when big time contracts are involved like the NBA), unless they have a properly monitored drug screen with signed chain of custody and all of that. There risk for inaccuracies and tampering (by both the person being tested and maybe the tester who wants an excuse to terminate someone) is just to great otherwise. However, Odom isn't under contract with any NBA, so really anything that harms his character ultimately is going to affect his career. That is one reason why I believe TMZ would not have posted those stories unless they really had multiple sources. Those guys are major @-holes, but they're not dumb, and would not have set themselves up to be sued by an NBA player for defamation and damages (which would be easier to prove in this case it seems) if they didn't have something at least semi-concrete.
  • Code of Hammurabi and And Won like this

#19 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

Basing Up with the Kardashians

Will he be able to CRACK an NBA roster for the 13-14 season?

#20 And Won

And Won

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

He just got a DUI, wow, he needs some support right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users