87 replies to this topic

#1 RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

I'm absolutely loving Hartline as a late round high-floor guy in PPR leagues. Think a cheaper L. Moore. Should get a good amount of receptions each game. Has pretty good upside as well.

Reports are that Tannehill's chemistry with Wallace has not been good at all, but his love affair with Hartline is stronger than ever. He put up some very respectable numbers last year (74 receptions, 1083 yards, 1 TD), which were good enough to just about be a top-36 WR. The TD numbers should improve (Tannehill himself only threw 12 TDs last year). The Dolphins signed him to a big contract so I don't see him going anywhere. Bush is gone now, so maybe we'll see some more receptions coming his way. The Wallace acquisition might end up being a boon to his success as well. I mean, who were the other receiving threats in MIA last year?

Going off of last years numbers, a 80/1100/5 line doesn't look too absurd and that would have put him in well within the top 20 of last year's numbers. And yet, his ADP is at a laughable 172. Sandwhiched right in between Percy Harvin and Julian Edelman. Where's the risk if you're taking him in the 13th?
12-Team PPR
3-0 w/ #1 Waiver Wire

QB: Cam Newton
RB: Jamaal Charles
RB: Reggie Bush
WR: Danny Amendola
WR: Jordy Nelson
TE: Jimmy Graham
Flex: Pierre Garcon
K: Dan Bailey
DEF: New England Patriots (or streaming)
Bench: Tony Romo, Gio Bernard, Josh Gordon, Anquan Boldin, Joique Bell, Kenbrell Thompkins, Defense of the Week

#2 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:55 PM

The problem is last year he received a TON of targets to even get to 1000 yards and 1 TD.

His targets will definitely be way down with Wallace in town.
$$$ Keeper League - 12 Team 0.5 PPR, All TD's = 6 points
(11-2) Regular Season - 1st Place, Playoff Runner Up
QB: N. Foles
RB: E. Lacy, R. Bush, G. Bernard, S. Vereen, A. Brown, (L. Murray)
WR: C. Johnson, M. Wallace, J. Nelson, P. Harvin, J. Blackmon
TE: J. Graham, D. Pitta, (R. Gronkowski)

#3 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:01 AM

Very underrated.  I like him as a WR4.  He doesn't get much talk because he doesn't run really fast, he's not flashy, and he won't win you weeks single handedly (aside from that ridiculous 12/253/1 game).  Yes, the lack of TDs are a concern.  But it's pretty hard not to go anywhere but up from 1 TD, no?  Wallace can take a lot of the defense's attention away from him, something that he did not have last year.  Tannehill has one year under his belt and hopefully can continue to improve.  You won't find a 1000 yard receiver any cheaper.  And with an ADP in the high 100's, who really cares if you swing and miss?

#4 RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostDeadpool, on 25 August 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

The problem is last year he received a TON of targets to even get to 1000 yards and 1 TD.

Yes, but how many of those were quality targets?

What's better from a fantasy perspective - 130 targets (70% of which being in double coverage) or 110 targets (20% being in double coverage)?
12-Team PPR
3-0 w/ #1 Waiver Wire

Bench: Tony Romo, Gio Bernard, Josh Gordon, Anquan Boldin, Joique Bell, Kenbrell Thompkins, Defense of the Week

#5 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

View PostRonPaulRonPaulRonPaul, on 26 August 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

What's better from a fantasy perspective - 130 targets (70% of which being in double coverage) or 110 targets (20% being in double coverage)?

I hope you're joking about him being double covered 70% of the time last year.

Brian, Hartline.

#6 PhilBinLaden

PhilBinLaden

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

The potential is there, but I would look at playing him against teams that have a very good shutdown corner going up against Wallace, that way, Tannehill's preferred target becomes Hartline is those games. I still think Wallace will command the most targets from the dolphin wide receivers, but Hartline is sneaky good when thrown to.
10 Team Standard (Passing TDs 6 pts)
QB - Nick Foles (WW pick up), Matt Ryan
RB - Marshawn Lynch, CJ Spiller (traded T Rich), Shane Vereen (WW pick up)
WR - Vincent Jackson, Larry Fitzgerald, Antonio Brown, Cecil Shorts (WW pick up)
TE - Jordan Cameron, Martellus Bennett
DEF - Seahawks
K - Greg the Leg

The only game that implores 1% skill 99% luck, and yet that 1% skill is the result of us spending half our days looking at reports and insider info on the web and around the NFL hoping to turn our luck into fantasy gold.

#7 RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostDeadpool, on 26 August 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

View PostRonPaulRonPaulRonPaul, on 26 August 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

I hope you're joking about him being double covered 70% of the time last year.

Brian, Hartline.

I was speaking purely hypothetically. Although who else did Tannehill have to throw to last year besides him? Anthony Fassano, Davone Bess, and Charles Clay.

It's unlikely his targets will drop too much. Reggie ate up some targets last year as a short yardage receiver. Bess is gone. There is no TE. And Wallace was never really a possession receiver (career avg of 60 receptions on 100 targets.) Hartline still looks good for PPR, especially when you can take him in the late 13th.
12-Team PPR
3-0 w/ #1 Waiver Wire

#8 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

KC Joyner of ESPN says...
"There may not be a more underrated vertical wide receiver in the NFL. Last season Hartline tallied a 12.2 VYPA on 66 targets, a total that topped Roddy White (11.9 VYPA on 70 vertical targets), Decker (11.3 VYPA on 60 targets), Green (10.7 VYPA in 75 targets) and Marshall (10.0 VYPA on 83 targets). Having Wallace on the other side of the field should keep the coverage pressure off of Hartline and allow him a good shot at replicating these impressive downfield numbers. There may not be a better lottery pick wide receiver in the fantasy football world this year."

I'm buying, especially if I can get him in the double digit rounds.

#9 jtaylor39

jtaylor39

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Owned him last year he had one huge game and disappeared for the most part the rest of the season.  Not sure I can recommend him this season.
NABL 12 team ppr $$ League
2011 Champion
2012 3rd Place
2013 2nd Place

FFAH League
2009, 2010, 2011 Champion

I cash checks.

#10 Prea

Prea

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostRonPaulRonPaulRonPaul, on 25 August 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

I'm absolutely loving Hartline as a late round high-floor guy in PPR leagues. Think a cheaper L. Moore. Should get a good amount of receptions each game. Has pretty good upside as well.

Reports are that Tannehill's chemistry with Wallace has not been good at all, but his love affair with Hartline is stronger than ever. He put up some very respectable numbers last year (74 receptions, 1083 yards, 1 TD), which were good enough to just about be a top-36 WR. The TD numbers should improve (Tannehill himself only threw 12 TDs last year). The Dolphins signed him to a big contract so I don't see him going anywhere. Bush is gone now, so maybe we'll see some more receptions coming his way. The Wallace acquisition might end up being a boon to his success as well. I mean, who were the other receiving threats in MIA last year?

Going off of last years numbers, a 80/1100/5 line doesn't look too absurd and that would have put him in well within the top 20 of last year's numbers. And yet, his ADP is at a laughable 172. Sandwhiched right in between Percy Harvin and Julian Edelman. Where's the risk if you're taking him in the 13th?

They've had a good connection whenever I've seen Tannehill throw the ball to Wallace. They've only had 1 incompletion (well 2, but one I think was due to illegal contact that got a penalty).

Hartline (3 games) - 5 rec / 49 yds / 3 incompletions
Wallace (2 games) - 6 rec / 89 yds / 1 TD / 1 incompletion

Edited by Prea, 26 August 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#11 RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

View Postjtaylor39, on 26 August 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

Owned him last year he had one huge game and disappeared for the most part the rest of the season.  Not sure I can recommend him this season.

Here were his numbers last year from a fantasy perspective (in PPR).

9, 20.1, 5.1, 44.3, 9.9, 0, BYE, 8.1, 18.7, 15.9, 7.9, 3.7, 13.4, 5.4, 12.7, 3.2, 11.9

All of this was with only 1 TD.

Note: With Week 6 he was dealing with a hamstring issue - didn't see a single target, might have only played a handful of snaps.

@Prea: Good catch. Perhaps that was a bit dishonest of me. The reports to which I was referring were from a MIA beat reporter I follow, and I think a bit dates. I think, at the very least, he was talking more about practice than he was about the preseason games. This very well might no longer be the case. Though I do know there is concern that Wallace is something of a 1-trick pony and Tannehill might not be able to utilize him in the same way Ben has in the past few years.
12-Team PPR
3-0 w/ #1 Waiver Wire

#12 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

I think he'll be fine hitting Wallace deep.  Tannehill was elite last year on throws downfield.

#13 funkybudda

funkybudda

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

View Postjtaylor39, on 26 August 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

I am hoping with the Wallace around will open up some opportunity for him.
14 Teams Standard Scoring
QB: Matt Ryan, Foles, Cutler
WR: K Allen,TY Hilton, T Williams, M Jones, R Cobb,
RB: L McCoy, L Bell, Andre Brown
TE: J Graham, J Reed
K:  S Gostkowski
DEF: Panthers, Saints

12 Teams 1 pt PPR
QB: A Rodgers, Big Ben
WR: V Cruz, J Nelson, Terrance Williams, M Jones, P Harvin
RB: A Peterson, Z Stacy, A Ellington, Andre Brown
TE: V Davis, T Wright
K: G Hartley
DEF: Seahawks

#14 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

Kind of have done an about face on this guy.  Looking more at him, he is pretty much what I thought he is.  Average talent in a pretty average offense.  I think he'll be ok at providing average scoring in a PPR league, but there's probably higher upside options available for your WR4.

#15 CuI2iousGeoI2ge

CuI2iousGeoI2ge

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

i look at it as less targets but more efficency. And I actually dont see his targets going down all that much.  Who else is tannehill gonna throw too anyway? The backup TE to Dustin Keller?

#16 RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

View PostCooL, on 31 August 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Kind of have done an about face on this guy.  Looking more at him, he is pretty much what I thought he is.  Average talent in a pretty average offense.  I think he'll be ok at providing average scoring in a PPR league, but there's probably higher upside options available for your WR4.

He's at least a high floor receiver. Think Woodhead last year but for WRs. He should be a top 36 WR in PPR.

Can't see him getting any less than 65 receptions.
12-Team PPR
3-0 w/ #1 Waiver Wire

#17 draftbackwards

draftbackwards

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Very solid flyer in PPR.  With an ADP of around 170, there is no risk.  Reasons I like him in '13:

1. no risk (ADP 170) w/ plenty of upside (70 rec/1000 yds last yr)
2. He was there only weapon for med to long throws in '12, now Wallace!
3. Wallace takes #1 cb now..instead of Hartline(big difference since B.H. lacks elite separation skills)
4. Safety leans to Wallace side now instead of Hartline
5. Keller out, D.Bess & R.Bush gone, so should see more underneath targets.
6. Tannehill solid as rookie, should be much better this year
7. Miami will be average as a team and need to throw.

#18 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Brandon Gibson > Hartline

#19 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

View Postss3walkman, on 01 September 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

I think I agree.  Gibson is going to be working the slot and he'll get the quick slants and underneath work that might have gone to Keller.  Hartline will be running the medium routes on the outside while Wallace burns down the field.  He doesn't have good separation skills at all.  I think Hartline is a pretty average athlete that benefitted from being the only capable WR last year.

#20 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostCooL, on 01 September 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

View Postss3walkman, on 01 September 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

I think I agree.  Gibson is going to be working the slot and he'll get the quick slants and underneath work that might have gone to Keller.  Hartline will be running the medium routes on the outside while Wallace burns down the field.  He doesn't have good separation skills at all.  I think Hartline is a pretty average athlete that benefitted from being the only capable WR last year.

If Keller were still there I wouldn't be high on Gibson but since he's gone, Gibson looks so much more appealing as a potential sleeper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users