Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How does 6 point per TD for QBs change your philosophy?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 andyz

andyz

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

Do you put them much higher in your personal ADPs than you would otherwise in a standard 4 point? Are you more likely to draft Brees/Rodgers/Manning in first first / early second round vs. that other RB? For folks with late pick (after 10), I think this makes a Brees possibly more valuable than the bottom tier RBs like Ridley/Sjax/MJD. thoughts?

10-team ESPN $$ League (PPR)...........................................8-team Yahoo $$ League (2QB)

QB: Cutler..............................     QB: T. Brady, D. Brees
WR: 
D. Thomas, G. Tate.......................WR: A. Johnson, D. Thomas 

RB: G. Bernard, A. Ellington................ RB: D. Murray, S. Vereen
TE: J. Graham
........................        TE: M. Bennett

Flex: M. Wallace.............................Flex: A. Foster
K: D. Bailey..............................   K: C. Parkey
DEF: BUF (stream)
............................Def: MIA (stream)
Bench: Megatron, R. Jennings, D. Allen
.......Bench: E. Sanders, G. Bernard, M. Ryan
J. Hill, R. White, J. McKinnon, ODB
..........F. Gore, M. Crabtree, T. Mason

#2 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

Not much really. I play in a 6 pt LG. point differential on a weekly basis isn't as severe as you think.

#3 sspiv

sspiv

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

my big $ league is a PPR league and 6 pts. for all tds....1 pt per 20 passing and bonus 2 for 300 plus yards.....the big name QBs are gold in this league....every year but one they have been drafted basically in first or second rd. one yr they dropped to the third because of several QBs that were being kept. I drafted brees that yr as my 3rd. rd. pick...won the money that yr and could keep him for one time as my first round pick the next season (pick #12) since we cannot keep any players in first two rounds and they move up two rounds in draft if you keep them and max time to keep is three yrs. seems like every year there are teams that are very strong but lose out because of the teams that have the strong QBs get just a little bit more from them to put them over the top!
.BOTH PPR LEAGUES

TEAM #1
QB- BORTLES
WR- JULIO, WELKER, COLSTON, BENJAMIN, GORDON
RB- FORTE, VEREEN, JENNINGS, LORENZO T.
TE- ERTZ, GREEN
CLEV.
PARKEY

TEAM #2
QB- RYAN
WR- DEZ, COBB, COLSTON, GORDON
RB- MURRAY, VEREEN, HILL, TATE, ROBINSON, LORENZO T
TE- DONNELL
CLEV.
PARKEY

#4 JuanSuarez

JuanSuarez

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

4 points per TD --> Take a QB in 6th or 7th round.
6 points per TD --> Take a QB in 6th or 7th round, unless Brees / Rodgers fall to 3rd and you can take him.
  • puck4life likes this

#5 andyz

andyz

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

4 points per TD --> Take a QB in 6th or 7th round.
6 points per TD --> Take a QB in 6th or 7th round, unless Brees / Rodgers fall to 3rd and you can take him.

In other words it doesn't change your stance on QB since Brees isn't falling to the 3rd round. So the incremental 2 point difference does not really "equalize" an elite QB vs. taking a low end RB (by low end I mean the RBs ranked 10-14 on ADP)

10-team ESPN $$ League (PPR)...........................................8-team Yahoo $$ League (2QB)

QB: Cutler..............................     QB: T. Brady, D. Brees
WR: 
D. Thomas, G. Tate.......................WR: A. Johnson, D. Thomas 

RB: G. Bernard, A. Ellington................ RB: D. Murray, S. Vereen
TE: J. Graham
........................        TE: M. Bennett

Flex: M. Wallace.............................Flex: A. Foster
K: D. Bailey..............................   K: C. Parkey
DEF: BUF (stream)
............................Def: MIA (stream)
Bench: Megatron, R. Jennings, D. Allen
.......Bench: E. Sanders, G. Bernard, M. Ryan
J. Hill, R. White, J. McKinnon, ODB
..........F. Gore, M. Crabtree, T. Mason

#6 gordo4s

gordo4s

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

If it's 1 PPR, I'd say it shouldn't effect your strategy too much, especially this year QB is very deep.

If it's Standard Scoring, the gap between Rodgers/Brees and the 12th / 13th QBs starts to get just as wide, or wider than the gap between top 10 running backs and RB #30.

My main league has these settings, and along with just avoiding disasters at RB / WR, Rodgers and Brees carried their teams last year.
12 Team Auction Keeper - 6 point passing TDs, 0 ppr

QB: Drew Brees, Russell Wilson
RB: Marshawn Lynch
RB: Ronnie Hillman
FLEX: Joique Bell, Jeremy Hill, Bernard Pierce
WR: Mike Evans
WR: Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams
TE: Martellus Bennett
DST: Ravens
K: Cody Parkey

#7 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

It depends what the other scoring settings are. I'm in a money league where QB's get 1 pt per 20 yards passing, 6 pt TD passes, only -1 for ints and a 5 point bonus at 300 yards. Needless to say I draft QB's earlier there.

#8 fatmanatee

fatmanatee

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

Do you put them much higher in your personal ADPs than you would otherwise in a standard 4 point? Are you more likely to draft Brees/Rodgers/Manning in first first / early second round vs. that other RB? For folks with late pick (after 10), I think this makes a Brees possibly more valuable than the bottom tier RBs like Ridley/Sjax/MJD. thoughts?

I'm in a league like this and toying with the idea of drafting Brees at #10/11. Brees/Rodgers are in their own tier and there is definitely a dropoff, you just have to decide what dropoff is worse: the QB dropoff or the one from the top 10 RBs down to the next group. Calculate projections based on whatever your point system is and go from there.

My draft is tonight so I'll report back with an analysis, but I really have no clue how the first round will play out this year. In previous years, 2-4 QBs get chosen in the first round (four last year, IIRC), but it's all RB hype this year.

#9 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

I actually ran the numbers. The difference between Rodgers/Brees and the second tier of QBs is 2-3 points on average per week.

The difference between the top tier RBs, which I guess you can argue between 6 or 7 in PPR, and the second tier is 5-7 points on average. That's before you hit the backups.

The "second tier" averages 8-11 points a game while the top tier averages 14-18 a game. And that's assuming Matty Forte doesn't rebound.

If you're taking a QB at the expense of a top tier RB you're putting yourself in a losing position. Even in 6 pt TD leagues (if they're also PPR).

In most redrafts ive seen (which is like 6 so far), RBs run off the board in the first. Maybe 8 or 9 share that distinction with a Johnson a Rodgers and maybe a Brees.

You'll end up stuck with Montee Ball and Andre Bradshaw, wondering how that came to be, while I'll run out my Michael Vick my Ray Rice and my Matt Forte.
  • puck4life likes this

#10 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

The difference between Rodgers/Brees and the second tier of QBs is 2-3 points on average per week.
You'll end up stuck with Montee Ball and Andre Bradshaw, wondering how that came to be, while I'll run out my Michael Vick my Ray Rice and my Matt Forte.

Or last year he could have ended up with Brees in the first, and Doug Martin in the 3rd along with Frank Gore in the 5th while you ended up with McCoy, McFadden and Rivers.
  • Jovis36 likes this

#11 fatmanatee

fatmanatee

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

I actually ran the numbers. The difference between Rodgers/Brees and the second tier of QBs is 2-3 points on average per week.

The difference between the top tier RBs, which I guess you can argue between 6 or 7 in PPR, and the second tier is 5-7 points on average. That's before you hit the backups.

The "second tier" averages 8-11 points a game while the top tier averages 14-18 a game. And that's assuming Matty Forte doesn't rebound.

If you're taking a QB at the expense of a top tier RB you're putting yourself in a losing position. Even in 6 pt TD leagues (if they're also PPR).

In most redrafts ive seen (which is like 6 so far), RBs run off the board in the first. Maybe 8 or 9 share that distinction with a Johnson a Rodgers and maybe a Brees.

Nobody is waiting until the fourth round to start picking RBs. If you get Ball/Bradshaw they better be your RB2 and Flex, and even then that's risky (I'm not drafting Montee and Bradshaw is a Flex/RB4 tweener, FWIW). Even if you grab a QB in the first (hypothetical here), you 100% have to get somebody in the Forte/Ridley/MJD tier next. You probably grab another RB in the third, depending on who's available.

Honestly, I wouldn't pick a QB with picks #1-9 but you have to keep an eye out if there's some goofy QB run. Draft Vick if you want, sure, but pair him with someone like Luck to be safe.

(Also, my league is non-PPR, so... yeah)

#12 kennyx

kennyx

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

To me, it's the type of QB.

With 4pts, I'll target guys like Kaepernick, RG3, Wilson because of the rushing TDs. But with 6pts, it's fair game for all QBs.

#13 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

Doesn't change it at all. Regardless if its 4 or 6 it isn't like it's not the same for the entire league. It's the same thing. It's not like its 6 points for Brees and 4 points for Romo
The Uncanny X-MEN

QB: Wilson
RB: Charles, Tate, Davis, Crowell
WR: Gordon, Brown, Green, Harvin, Beckham
TE: Rees
DEF: Bills
K: Parkey

"There's no strings on me"

#14 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

Running backs aren't falling like they used to. Just a look at my draft:

9 of the first 12 picks (PPR were RB). Rattling them off: Peterson, McCoy, Spiller, Foster, Lynch, Rice, Forte, Martin, Charles and then Richardson went 11th. That's a whopping 10 running backs in the first round. You're now down to 22 running backs.

Round 2: 5 RB taken

Round 3: Gore, Sproles, McFadden, and Murray. 4. 19 running backs int he top 3 rounds. With guys reaching, scrambling, afraid of being stuck with no RBs.

Here's the lineup the guy who took a QB in the first round has:

Aaron Rodgers - MJD - Randall Cobb - Montee Ball - Antonio Brown - Vernon Davis

Here's what I have

Michael Vick - Matt Forte - Brandon Marshall - Darren McFadden - Ryan Matthews - Jordy Nelson

Here's what another guy has

Colin Kaepernick - Doug Martin - Dez Bryant - Darren Sproles - Victor Cruz - Anquan Boldin

#15 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

I always won these type of leagues getting a QB in the top tier QB. But if I didn't have a chance to get top tier then I would wait on QB until late value emerged and I won that way too.
  • puck4life likes this
And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back

#16 valensi24

valensi24

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

what if QB's got...

1 point per 25 passing yards
6 points per TD
.2 points per completion
-3 points per INT

but it's a PPR league and

RB's got
.2 points per rushing attempt
1 point per 10 rushing yards

WR's got
1 point per 10 receiving yards

Edited by valensi24, 27 August 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#17 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

what if QB's got...

1 point per 25 passing yards
6 points per TD
.2 points per completion
-3 points per INT

Yea then I'd have to redo all the numbers because that's pretty nuts.

#18 nonstopfan

nonstopfan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

Based on my research/opinion, I don't mind any team going after Brees/Rodgers at any point in the late 1st - 2nd round in leagues which award 6pts per TD.
I think there are enough options at RB for you to get two of them in your first 3 picks, especially in 10 teamers. Now that you have your elite QB, you dont have to worry about that position for the rest of the draft and can use your 4th and 5th pick on a WR/WR or a WR/TE or even a RB/WR based on what value is there.
If you dont get Brees/Rodgers, I would just wait until the middle rounds and get 2 of these QBs in this same tier which include Ryan, Stafford, Luck, RGIII, Romo, Wilson, Colin. I'm also high on Eli and Vick as Borderline 1 options/ #2 QB's with upside as well and I would put them in this tier but on the latter end.

Edited by nonstopfan, 27 August 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#19 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,957 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

Running backs aren't falling like they used to. Just a look at my draft:

9 of the first 12 picks (PPR were RB). Rattling them off: Peterson, McCoy, Spiller, Foster, Lynch, Rice, Forte, Martin, Charles and then Richardson went 11th. That's a whopping 10 running backs in the first round. You're now down to 22 running backs.

Round 2: 5 RB taken

Round 3: Gore, Sproles, McFadden, and Murray. 4. 19 running backs int he top 3 rounds. With guys reaching, scrambling, afraid of being stuck with no RBs.

Here's the lineup the guy who took a QB in the first round has:

Aaron Rodgers - MJD - Randall Cobb - Montee Ball - Antonio Brown - Vernon Davis

Here's what I have

Michael Vick - Matt Forte - Brandon Marshall - Darren McFadden - Ryan Matthews - Jordy Nelson

Here's what another guy has

Colin Kaepernick - Doug Martin - Dez Bryant - Darren Sproles - Victor Cruz - Anquan Boldin

You've got the all injury team...
  • puck4life likes this

2014 12 team 5x5 H2H League - Runner up!

2014 14 team 0.5 PPR League

QB - Rodgers

RB - Bradshaw, Tate, Vereen, SJAX, Brown

WR - Julio, Steve "Ice Up, Son!" Smith, Boldin, Sanu

TE - Kelce, Miller

K - Parker

DEF - Stream City

#20 Anthony1

Anthony1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

I got into this in another thread, and ultimately everybody ganged up on me and said that I was way off the mark for thinking the way I was thinking.

My take is this....

WHO CARES ?

Whether it's 6 points or 4 points, all boats are lifted by rising seas. If everybody gets 4 points, then everybody is equally affected. If everybody gets 6 points, then everybody is equally affected. I just don't see why people make a big deal out of this.

The only thing that I will agree on, is that in a 6pt passing TD league, all the running QB's aren't quite as valuable as they are in the 4pt leagues, but other than that, it doesn't change my opinion in the least.
  • visoring and SilentSentinel like this

Local League--------------------------Old School League
QB - Aaron Rodgers -----------------QB - Andrew Luck
RB - Ben Tate -------------------------RB - Arian Foster
RB - Ahmad Bradshaw---------------RB - Ahmad Bradshaw
WR - Jordy Nelson -------------------WR - Jordy Nelson
WR - Michael Crabtree --------------WR - Demaryius Thomas
WR - Kelvin Benjamin ---------------WR - Kelvin Benjamin
TE- Travis Kelce -----------------------TE - Jordan Reed
K - Dan Bailey ---------------------------K - Dan Carpenter
DEF - Baltimore Ravens-------------DEF - Cleveland Browns

QB - Russell Wilson --------------- QB - Cam Newton
RB - Joique Bell----------------------RB - Chris Ivory
RB - Bishop Sankey-----------------RB - Reggie Bush
RB - Ryan Matthews---------------- RB - Jerick McKinnon

RB - Mark Ingram--------------------WR - Jermaine Kearse

WR - Odell Beckham Jr.-----------WR - Odell Beckham Jr.
WR - Doug Baldwin ---------------- TE - Jordan Cameron

------------------------------------------- DEF - Denver Broncos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users