Jump to content

Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

2013 Two QB League Central


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Howie

Howie

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Do you take a QB in the first round no matter what? And then your second QB in either the second or third round?

#2 pbjfb

pbjfb

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

Depends on how the rest of your league drafts in the first 2 rounds. This is my 10 th year in a 2-qb 12-teamer, and I can tell you for sure, if you don't draft 1, if not both your qbs in the first 2 rounds, you're screwed. Last year I think 14 if the first 24 picks were qbs. But it didn't used to be this way, it started out with the top 2-3 qbs going in the first 2, then it gradually increased over the years through each draft. So you just have to follow the flow.

#3 mjb03003

mjb03003

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,337 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

It's going to depend on the league. If this is your first year doing a 2-QB league with your group, you probably need to see how the first round goes. If you are picking early in the round, it's probably best (and safest) to grab one of the elites so that you assure yourself at least one great QB. A bunch of your leaguemates will probably see QBs going early and follow suit, which will allow a bunch of the first round RBs to fall to you in the 2nd round.

If you're picking in the middle, you have the advantage of knowing that you can't completely miss a run, so if you take a stud RB in round 1, you know you won't get completely shut out of the QB1 pool. If you take a QB1 in the first, you will have your choice of taking a stud QB2 in round two, or picking up one of the elite RBs who will invariably fall further than they should, and you'll probably be able to get a good sense of how many QBs will still be there for you in round 3.

If you are picking late in the first, you'll have a better idea of how the QBs are going to come off the board, but in all likelyhood you will have to take a QB with one of your top 2 picks regardless, as you can't risk getting caught at the end of a run and having none of the good QBs available at the end of the 3rd.

My league (10 teamer) is going into it's 5th year, and while everyone is aware of how valuable QBs are, many people in my league are bold and will try to time things just right. This year, only two people took QBs with their first two picks. The guy picking 7th took Brees, and then at 14 overall he took Brady. The guy picking 9th took Newton, and then with at 12 overall he took Peyton. Of the first 20 picks, only 5 QBs (Rodgers, Brees, Newton, Manning, Brady) were selected. After Brady at 14 overall, there was a run on the remaining RB1s and the WR1s. Then at 23 overall someone took Stafford, which set off a second run on QBs. I took RG3 at 25 overall, Ryan went 26, Kaepernick 28, Luck 30, Wilson 33, Romo 36. Then another break. By this point all but 2 teams had at least 1 QB, and the people who didn't have QBs were somewhat committed to waiting, since the leftover QBs were pretty tightly bunched together.

I don't think my 2-QB league is indicative of most, as typically I think QBs dominate the first 3-4 rounds until basically every team has 2 QBs. I'm glad my league isn't like that though, because it's fun to see people use different strategies.

#4 Mongeese

Mongeese

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostHowie, on 27 August 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

Do you take a QB in the first round no matter what? And then your second QB in either the second or third round?

Obviously it depends what others are doing.  I waited until round 7 and got Luck, then took Weeden in the 11th.

#5 twins80

twins80

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

How about in auction drafts?  What would you spend on the top QBs?

#6 mjb03003

mjb03003

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,337 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

View Posttwins80, on 27 August 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

How about in auction drafts?  What would you spend on the top QBs?

In auction I'd be all about the value QBs.

Let others spend the big money on Brees, Rodgers, Peyton, and Brady, and take the guys a tier or two below them at half (or less) the cost.

#7 Andrewm110

Andrewm110

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

My league's draft is certainly "flow" based. We have very unique rosters where we don't have any bench.

2 QBs, 3 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 FLEX, 1 K, 1 DEF.

I have pick 4 in my draft upcoming this year and I am almost certainly taking one of Rodgers, Brees, or Manning. I have Alfred Morris as a keeper which makes me feel better about it, but I will definitely be considering my second QB in round 3 depending on who is there.

It is all about complete value. 2 QB leagues give you the chance to have two really big scorers. It isn't just that they are putting up a ton of points, but the fact that the top guys are consistent. Week in and week out you can count on the elite QBs to put up numbers. I buy into the philsophy of grabbing at least one elite and then following the flow of your draft.
11 Team 5x5 Roto, No Bench

C - Carlos Santana, Mike Zunino
1B - Prince Fiedler
2B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Starlin Castro
3B - Kyle Seager
MI - Brad Miller
CI - Jose Abreu
OF - Adam Jones, Carlos Gomez, Giancarlo Stanton, Leonys Martin, Eric Young
DH - Adam Eaton
SP - Stephen Strasburg, Michael Wacha, Danny Salazar, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Scott Kazmir, Rick Porcello, Edinson Volquez
RP - Steve Cishek, Francisco Rodriguez
DL - Alex Cobb, Kole Calhoun

#8 pbjfb

pbjfb

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

just did my draft. Really wish I could've landed Brees, who fell to 5. I got Peyton at 7, and then Russell Wilson at 18, though I really wish I could've landed Kaepernick, who went at 17. :(

ended up with MJD, Wilson, Andre Brown, Gio, and Bryce Brown for RBs
Amendola, Desean, Stevie, Britt, Shorts for WRs

#9 aaa1

aaa1

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:51 PM

View Postmjb03003, on 27 August 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

View Posttwins80, on 27 August 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

How about in auction drafts?  What would you spend on the top QBs?

In auction I'd be all about the value QBs.

Let others spend the big money on Brees, Rodgers, Peyton, and Brady, and take the guys a tier or two below them at half (or less) the cost.

This is interesting to me because my gut was to do whatever it takes to get at least one of those top tier QBs, because their value over replacement player (VORP) goes way up in a 2 QB league. I see what youre saying though about trying to get a bargain.

Personally I'm willing to break the bank on Rodger/Brees/Manning and then try to get a guy like stafford or wilson as QB2. I just don't want to be the guy with Romo/Bradford or something similar.

I'm really interested in any other thoughts on approaching a 2-QB auction league.

Edited by aaa1, 28 August 2013 - 09:53 PM.

10 team H2H (PTS, 3s, FG%, FT%, OREB, DREB, AST, STL, BLK), PG-G-G-F-F-C-UTILx3

#10 Andrewm110

Andrewm110

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

View Postpbjfb, on 28 August 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

just did my draft. Really wish I could've landed Brees, who fell to 5. I got Peyton at 7, and then Russell Wilson at 18, though I really wish I could've landed Kaepernick, who went at 17. :(

ended up with MJD, Wilson, Andre Brown, Gio, and Bryce Brown for RBs
Amendola, Desean, Stevie, Britt, Shorts for WRs

Nothing wrong with that team. I am definitely thinking that WR is the position to wait on this year if you are a 2 QB league and want to get them early.
11 Team 5x5 Roto, No Bench

C - Carlos Santana, Mike Zunino
1B - Prince Fiedler
2B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Starlin Castro
3B - Kyle Seager
MI - Brad Miller
CI - Jose Abreu
OF - Adam Jones, Carlos Gomez, Giancarlo Stanton, Leonys Martin, Eric Young
DH - Adam Eaton
SP - Stephen Strasburg, Michael Wacha, Danny Salazar, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Scott Kazmir, Rick Porcello, Edinson Volquez
RP - Steve Cishek, Francisco Rodriguez
DL - Alex Cobb, Kole Calhoun

#11 Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13

    Double-A

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

I just inherited a team in a 2QB (QB-stat heavy) 12-team league.  We also get to select 1 keeper and it's a snake draft.

I was fortunate enough to inherit a team with a solid QB1 in Brees, se he will be my keeper.

Historically, it sounds like QBs go fast, do I absolutely need to secure my QB2 in the first round?

My inclination is to go RB-RB-QB2, but I guess I'll have to see how the draft goes.

Any suggestions?  This is my first year doing snake, I've been an auction boy for many years.

Thanks!
J. Freeman M. Ryan D. Martin M. Forte M. Bush S. Jackson B. Marshall B. Hartline D. Thomas S. Johnson T. Gonzalez C. Barth K. Forbath

#12 96mnc

96mnc

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

View Postmjb03003, on 27 August 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

It's going to depend on the league. If this is your first year doing a 2-QB league with your group, you probably need to see how the first round goes. If you are picking early in the round, it's probably best (and safest) to grab one of the elites so that you assure yourself at least one great QB. A bunch of your leaguemates will probably see QBs going early and follow suit, which will allow a bunch of the first round RBs to fall to you in the 2nd round.

If you're picking in the middle, you have the advantage of knowing that you can't completely miss a run, so if you take a stud RB in round 1, you know you won't get completely shut out of the QB1 pool. If you take a QB1 in the first, you will have your choice of taking a stud QB2 in round two, or picking up one of the elite RBs who will invariably fall further than they should, and you'll probably be able to get a good sense of how many QBs will still be there for you in round 3.

If you are picking late in the first, you'll have a better idea of how the QBs are going to come off the board, but in all likelyhood you will have to take a QB with one of your top 2 picks regardless, as you can't risk getting caught at the end of a run and having none of the good QBs available at the end of the 3rd.

My league (10 teamer) is going into it's 5th year, and while everyone is aware of how valuable QBs are, many people in my league are bold and will try to time things just right. This year, only two people took QBs with their first two picks. The guy picking 7th took Brees, and then at 14 overall he took Brady. The guy picking 9th took Newton, and then with at 12 overall he took Peyton. Of the first 20 picks, only 5 QBs (Rodgers, Brees, Newton, Manning, Brady) were selected. After Brady at 14 overall, there was a run on the remaining RB1s and the WR1s. Then at 23 overall someone took Stafford, which set off a second run on QBs. I took RG3 at 25 overall, Ryan went 26, Kaepernick 28, Luck 30, Wilson 33, Romo 36. Then another break. By this point all but 2 teams had at least 1 QB, and the people who didn't have QBs were somewhat committed to waiting, since the leftover QBs were pretty tightly bunched together.

I don't think my 2-QB league is indicative of most, as typically I think QBs dominate the first 3-4 rounds until basically every team has 2 QBs. I'm glad my league isn't like that though, because it's fun to see people use different strategies.

Interesting info.  Personally, I'd be content with waiting and taking Kap and Romo as my two qbs and getting two stud rbs in rounds one and two but as you said, every league is different.

#13 bcskunk

bcskunk

    Triple-A

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

My first 2QB league this year and I decided to wait like I normally would in standard leagues. I ended up with Wilson(6th) and luck (7th),
With cutler as my backup. I actually quite liked the outcome

This is 0.5 ppr 10 teamer. My other top players are Charles, lynch, DT, Cobb and smith.

Edited by bcskunk, 02 September 2013 - 07:22 PM.

Yahoo 12-team H2H 9-cats
PG: Lillard, Teague, Knight
SG: Harden, Allen, Jamal Crawford
SF: Hayward, Ariza
PF: Dirk, Anderson, Varejao
C: B.Lopez, McGee, R, Lopez

#14 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

If you're in a 12 team 2 QB league, QB's should go very early.  Basically every team needs to start 2, so that's 24 off the board.  Assuming everyone wants a backup too, that's 36 off the board.  See the problem yet?  Only 32 QB's a week take snaps.

Unlike running back scarcity, where you can usually find a third down back somewhere to give you a few points, the QB timeshare doesn't exist.

Then take into account injuries.

You're probably well served to draft 4 QB's in that kind of league, in case you need one, or so you can trade one mid season because some team will get boned.

#15 JmacGG

JmacGG

    Just Drafted

  • Probationary Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

Hi 12 team 2Qb league vet here

QB is actually pretty deep this year in that there are more than 24 serviceable qb's. You look at rankings and see rivers flacco and schaub in the early 20s... so you know qbs are deep. My trick this year imo was just to try to slowplay that qb2 and then only take one when I absolutely had to.. to avoid being the guy stuck between picking blain gabbert, locker, ponder, geno smith, pryor as my qbs. You will notice after people have 2qbs they usually stop until they fill some of their other positions. Then again if your opponents are avoiding drafting qbs early, you should take your 2 qbs early.

Getting a 3rd starter is always nice if you can but really it all comes down to timing and weighing the value and how much you trust your qb2 to either not lose his job or get hurt and the same for that qb3 that you would be taking vs the other options available and what your team still needs. Every year qbs miss games or get hurt for extended periods so you still have a shot to grab one off waivers eventually or you just try to pull those 2 bye weeks out without one. I would avoid drafting 4 starters. You will just hurt your team by drafting 4 starters.

Also depending on how many roster spots your league has it might be wise to stash backup qbs on your team either as handcuffs or just or some outside shot they get to start eventually.

Edited by JmacGG, 02 September 2013 - 09:07 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users