343 replies to this topic

#1 builttoolong

builttoolong

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

How is there no thread on this guy yet?!?

With the news (non-news) pertaining to Brandon Marshall, how does this help Alshon Jeffery? Even with Marshall in the picture, very positive buzz early for Alshon. Very worthy of a late round flier!
12-Keeper League

QB: Luck, Romo, G. Smith
RB: G.Bernard, A. Ellington, S. Vereen, S. Greene, R. Turbin
WR: D. Bryant, A. Jeffery, P. Garcon, J. Hunter, B. Cooks, J. Kearse
TE: G. Olsen, T. Kelce
DEF: Bills
K: ??

#2 BxBOMBERs28

BxBOMBERs28

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

I find it hard to believe there's no 2013 thread on him yet. Very weird.

Edited by BxBOMBERs28, 28 August 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#3 Sven

Sven

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

If I could get him as my WR4 I'd be happy. I fully expect him to put up at least mid-level WR3 numbers this season.
  • builttoolong likes this
12 Yahoo!

QB - C. Newton (69)
RB - E. Lacy (4)
RB - D. Murray (21)
WR - V. Jackson (28)
WR - M. Crabtree (52)
WR - C. Shorts (93)
TE - J. Cameron (76)
W/R/T - R. Mathews (45)
K - A. Viniteri (172)
Def - New England (165)

Bench - J. Football (100), J. Starks (117), A. Boldin (124), D. McFadden (141), K. Davis (148), A. WIlliams (189)

#4 Jamaro85

Jamaro85

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

I can't remember the exact quote but during the Bears broadcast of the Oakland (week 3) game the commentators mentioned something about Cutler saying how he's criticized for not spreading the ball enough. I don't know if they mentioned him saying he wanted to actually spread it around more but I know something about it was mentioned. I think Alshon saw something like 8 targets for 7 catches and 77 yards.

This is the kind of stuff that people might not care too much about but they also mentioned that Alshon worked out in the offseason at Brandon Marshall's training facility in Florida and cut down to 7% (either 7 or 8%, whatever) body fat. Cutler seems to trust him a lot so far in the preseason and I hope that translates to the regular season. I am seeing WR3 numbers at worst here personally, and I'm not just saying this because he's on my fantasy team.
10 Team PPR/Flex $ League (4th pick)

QB Matt Ryan
RB Matt Forte
RB Giovani Bernard
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Michael Floyd
FLEX Percy Harvin
TE Zach Ertz
K Matt Bryant
D/ST San Diego

BN Mark Ingram
BN Mike Wallace
BN Niles Paul
BN Jerick McKinnon
BN New England D/ST
BN Josh Gordon

#5 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Wow, can't believe there wasn't a 2013 yet. Big time sleeper in the new Bears pass-heavy offense. Many forget just how good this guy was in college during the 2010 season. He looked like a surefire 1st rd pick and can't miss WR prospect. The horrific QB play at SC derailed his 2011 season but his attitude and lackadaisical play contributed as well. He slipped in the 2012 draft as a result and then had to deal with injuries and the horrific play-calling of CHI 2012 OC Mike Tice. He has the size, moves, and ability to be a #1 WR in the NFL. I am targeting as my WR4 wherever I can.

Edited by J.T. Marlin, 28 August 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#6 LukeIV

LukeIV

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Interests:Go Pack Go.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

I don't own him. After seeing him play in person last season, I can say with certainly that he's a physical, big bodied receiver who should produce higher numbers than his ADP would suggest. Cutler did an awful job of targeting him in the game I watched and penalties killed his catches. There's no denying that he was pretty raw last season, despite putting up big numbers in the SEC. If the learning curve we've seen out of big time SEC wideouts over the past few years sticks with Jeffery, its not hard to imagine a situation where Marshall becomes the Roddy White to Jeffery's Julio Jones.

ESPN $20 13 Team 2QB, 6 pt passing TD "Gronkey Kong Kuntry" (2-0) Wk2 BYE

QB1: Titans QB QB2: Tony Romo
RB1: Darren Sproles RB2: A. Bradshaw RB/WR: Allen Robinson
WR1: Antonio Brown WR2: Brandin Cooks
TE: Rob Gronkowski
LB: Paul Worrilow DL: JJ Watt DB: Morgan Burnett  D/ST: Lions
K: Cody Parkey
BE: Jake Locker, Larry Fitzgerald, Montee Ball, Jeremy Hill, Carlos Hyde, Josh Gordon, Andre Ellington, Charlie Whitehurst, Peyton Manning

Yahoo $20 12 Team 5pt Passing TD, .2 completion, PPR (0-3)

QB1:Blake Bortles
RB1: Eddie Lacy RB2: Doug Martin WR/RB: Shane Vereen
WR1: Jordy Nelson WR2: Pierre Garcon
TE: Antonio Gates
K: Justin Tucker D/ST: Lions
BE: Khiry Robinson, Andrew Hawkins,  Reggie Wayne, Allen Robinson, Bobby Rainey, Tom Brady

#7 Trifecta

Trifecta

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,384 posts
  • Interests:Football, Basketball, Biking, Music, Craft Beer, Traveling

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

Haha, obviously that would be sublime.

I'll be happy if this guy gets targetted as many times during the regular season as he did in the preseason. If so, monster breakout coming. I love that there was no thread for this. I drafted him with the last pick of the 13th. Talk about under the radar. This guy wasn't even on the radar for rotoworld forums until 11 hours ago.

Edited by Trifecta, 29 August 2013 - 01:30 AM.

#8 CurlyDumps

CurlyDumps

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:35 AM

Got him in my .5 PPR league. Hoping for a breakout season cause I could really use the depth at WR. Will be interesting to see if Marrone's offense produces a 2nd fantasy relevant WR (and TE, too). All signs point to him trending upward - the coachspeak, Marshall's comments, the nice stat line in the 3rd preseason game. Hope it all comes together.

#9 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,887 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Alshon Jeffery's biggest comparison is Brandon Marshall.

Look at the leap Brandon Marshall made in his 2nd year in the NFL (also age 23).

I don't think Alshon is due for a 100 receptions and 1300+ yard season or anything, but I see the kid having a huge year (75 receptions 1000+ yards is well within the realm of possible) and for a receiver post 10th round, that is amazing value.

#10 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

I just don't see it. I would love for it to happen, but I really just don't see it. Cutler isn't going to throw this guy the ball as much as people think he is. Cutler is going to rely on Marshall and Forte, his legs, and then Bennett/Alshon in that order.

Cutler's thought process has always been: "Marshall...Marshall...Marshall....Marshall...(breaks the pocket)....Marshall....Matty?.....Marshall...Marshalll...can I run?....Marshall....Marshall...ergh...anyone?"

It's not Alshon's fault. Cutler is stubborn. It is who he is. He's had great preseasons where he's distributed the ball before - and it never carries into the regular season.

Would love for the Bears to have a great, big WR tandem, but this is a check down oriented offense more than anything. If it's not Marshall, it will be Forte, and if it's not Forte...well...hopefully Alshon?

But you really don't ever want to be the third WR on the bears.

And god. If Earl Bennett finds the field...gah. Another of Cutler's butt buddies.

#11 cutter311

cutter311

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

I have to admit (as a Alshon owner...for the 2nd year), when I heard that the reason BMarsh was taking 4 days was due to his him, I got tingly thinking of the possibilities....

QB: Wilson, Cousins
RB: Jam, Ellington, Jennings, Vereen, Blount
WR: Jordy, Cordarrelle, Cooks, Gordon
TE: Ertz
D: FotW
K: FotW

12-team / redraft / money league

#12 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,887 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

but this is a check down oriented offense more than anything. If it's not Marshall, it will be Forte, and if it's not Forte...well...hopefully Alshon?

But you really don't ever want to be the third WR on the bears.

And god. If Earl Bennett finds the field...gah. Another of Cutler's butt buddies.

Check downs are exactly what are going to allow Alshon to get more targets... When Marshall is doubled teamed... Or Alshon has a small corner on him, you check down the list of options. Obviously Marshall is option 1, Alshon is obviously option 2.

Yes Forte will get his share of receptions but they will either be 1. By design, screens shovles, etc. Or 2. Safety valve out of the flat when everyone is covered.

Take it from a die hard Bears fan. Alshon is prime for a very nice season. He will be one of the best WR values of the draft.

#13 muggsy_bogues

muggsy_bogues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Interests:sports, sports, sports, women, sports, cars, collecting memorabilia, sports, hockey, fantasy sports!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Who the hell do I drop for this man. He's sitting in our FA pool waiting to be snatched up. Think this man will be better then say Hilton this year? I'd almost hate to drop him. Damn decisions...
2014-2015 10 Team Fantasy Football 2QB Non PPR League (5 Keepers)
QBs: Matthew Stafford, Jake Locker, Teddy B
RBs: DeMarco Murray, Giovani Bernard, Alfred Morris, Shane Vereen, Steven Jackson, Knile Davis, Trent Richardson
WRs: Dez Bryant, Randall Cobb, Emmanuel Sanders, Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews
TEs: Delanie Walker, Niles Paul
D/ST: Patriots, Saints
K: Shayne Graham

#14 Trifecta

Trifecta

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,384 posts
  • Interests:Football, Basketball, Biking, Music, Craft Beer, Traveling

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Wrong forum, but to answer your question (as it is related to Jeffery's value) I like Hilton better.

'd drop Zach Zudfield.

#15 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

Check downs are exactly what are going to allow Alshon to get more targets... When Marshall is doubled teamed... Or Alshon has a small corner on him, you check down the list of options. Obviously Marshall is option 1, Alshon is obviously option 2.

Yes Forte will get his share of receptions but they will either be 1. By design, screens shovles, etc. Or 2. Safety valve out of the flat when everyone is covered.

Take it from a die hard Bears fan. Alshon is prime for a very nice season. He will be one of the best WR values of the draft.

Same :D.

Our primary check down is Matty this year. Our CFL coach already said so. His offense revolves around Matty (which is why I took Matty in the first round in my PPR league). He said Matty won't be a "last resort receiver" and will be a primary receiver out of the backfield.

Trestman is expected to employ a West Coast style approach emphasizing quick reads and avoiding the sack (Jay Cutler, still dizzy from the Mike Martz era must be thrilled). That approach puts extra onus on the Running Back to help pick up the blitz but it should also mean plenty of outlet passes headed Forte’s way.

In ’02, Trestman took Garner’s value through the roof (hat tip to Scott Pianowski of Yahoo! for the Garner angle). That year, the veteran RB achieved easily career high numbers in receptions (91) and receiving yards (941) with four receiving touchdowns as part of a 1900 total yard 11 total touchdown season. Projecting 100 grabs from Forte would be far too exuberant but he’s shown the hands to be a perfect fit for Garner-like deployment; he has graded as a top five receiving back via ProFootballFocus in both 2010 and 2011. Speaking of good news for Cutler, that same year the Raiders had the league’s best passing offense with Rich Gannon at QB.

http://lockerroomfan...for-matt-forte/

His offense goes like this: First read is going to be Marshall - Second read Forte - Third read whoever is open. That's how a RB gets 91 receptions.

Forte is going to be a monster. Alshon is the third or fourth option in the passing game.

#16 Hurt Reynolds

Hurt Reynolds

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

This is the dude to target next year! give him one more year of experience!

I gotta a feeling he will break out big time in 2014!

#17 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

This is the dude to target next year! give him one more year of experience!

I gotta a feeling he will break out big time in 2014!

He's a hold certainly this year too. Can't deny the talent. Might get some touchdowns too. But I wouldn't project him to get over 60-70 receptions and over 700 yards on the year. Not because of his talent, but because of the offense. He's just not a primary option.

#18 kalani91

kalani91

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

I just traded helu for him! happy.
  • Travisio likes this

#19 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,887 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

Trestman's 2002 Raiders best two receivers were a 40 year old Jerry Rice and a 36 year old Tim Brown. While I totally agree that Forte is in line for his best year yet, I doub he gets more receptions or even targets than Alshon. I fully agree Forte will get a career high in receptions but again I'm highly skeptical he tops Alshon there. I'm sure it will be kind of close though.

Anytime Marshall is double covered Alshon should be automatically become the first read.

If Cutler throws for 4,000+ yards chances are there will be two 1,000+ recivers. Just look at the 4,000+ yard passers last year almost all of them had their big receiver then then another receiver with 900+ yards if not two receivers over 1,000.

If healthy Alshon is a lock for 850 yards, with upside for much more.

#20 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Trestman's 2002 Raiders best two receivers were a 40 year old Jerry Rice and a 36 year old Tim Brown. While I totally agree that Forte is in line for his best year yet, I doub he gets more receptions or even targets than Alshon. I fully agree Forte will get a career high in receptions but again I'm highly skeptical he tops Alshon there. I'm sure it will be kind of close though.

Anytime Marshall is double covered Alshon should be automatically become the first read.

If Cutler throws for 4,000+ yards chances are there will be two 1,000+ recivers. Just look at the 4,000+ yard passers last year almost all of them had their big receiver then then another receiver with 900+ yards if not two receivers over 1,000.

If healthy Alshon is a lock for 850 yards, with upside for much more.

I agree Alshon should be the second option. I think it would really do wonders for this offense. But so far it has been Matty. Hopefully there are wrinkles we haven't see yet and week 1 Alshon goes nuts.

Would be great to see. I won't say lock for 850, but I will say lock for 700 with upside for much more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users