1121 replies to this topic

#1 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Big time sleeper in my opinion. Posted top 25 per game 2013 playoff value and top 30 per 36MPG 12-13 season value per Roto Monster. HOU is in win now/championship mode. They aren't going to start Lin if he's not getting the job done. Obviously news will come out and things will develop during TC and preseason but I would not count out Beverley becoming the HOU starting PG sooner rather than later. Great guy to target late in drafts and, if he is named the starter early on, still a good guy to reach for based on the stats he will likely produce.
  • adifferentlogik likes this

#2 Xepa

Xepa

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

He's a better waiver wire watch list than someone you draft unless you're in a deep league.

#3 teamshameless

teamshameless

Likes Pointy Leather Boots

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

Big time sleeper in my opinion. Posted top 25 per game 2013 playoff value and top 30 per 36MPG 12-13 season value per Roto Monster. HOU is in win now/championship mode. They aren't going to start Lin if he's not getting the job done. Obviously news will come out and things will develop during TC and preseason but I would not count out Beverley becoming the HOU starting PG sooner rather than later. Great guy to target late in drafts and, if he is named the starter early on, still a good guy to reach for based on the stats he will likely produce.

I also like him but he won't be significant unless Lin gets injured or stinks. If he stinks, they won't pull him until December at the absolute earliest and even that is highly unlikely. It's actually pretty unlikely that he will stink.

I wouldn't be looking at him in anything smaller than a 15 team league.
Putting the Mod in Moderator

#4 TheOneAboveAll

TheOneAboveAll

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

I read a rotoworld blurb that said something along the line of 'he looks just as good if not better than Bledsoe'. I attest it to Rotoworld speak, just trying to catch attention. They do have some similarities if you compare their stats alone. Beverly has the rare ability for his size to block shots like Bledsoe. He's definitely worth a flier-pick even in a standard size league.

I expect to see his hype to pick up steam as soon as Jeremy Lin puts up a streak of stinkers.

#5 Donnie99

Donnie99

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:58 AM

I'll leave him on the waiver wire until after a few games of houston to study if their offensive system (might be changed because of D12) matches with Lin's ability. Definitely, worth a late round flier.

Edited by Donnie99, 29 August 2013 - 02:59 AM.

20 team H2H 13-player 9-Category League
PG - Ricky Rubio
SG - Kyle Korver
G - Terrence Ross
SF - Thaddeus Young
PF - Larry Sanders
F - Chandler Parsons
C - Andre Drummond
C - Josh McRoberts
U - Mario Chalmers
U - Brandon Knight
BN - Jason Thompson, Evan Fournier, Mike Scott

*Al Horford
-----------------------------------------------------
30 team - Contracts Dynasty League
G - Kyle Lowry, Jrue Holiday, Jerryd Bayless, Kevin Martin
F - Andre Iguodala, Mike Dunleavy, Tornike Shengelia, Thaddeus Young, Boris Diaw, Ryan Anderson
C - Nikola Vucevic, Greg Stiemsma, Brook Lopez

#6 darkyume

darkyume

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:52 AM

With Delfino gone, I think Beverley could wind up with a bump in minutes.

I'd imagine that Garcia (who is a sleeper himself) would duplicate Delfino's role (3s/defense), but Garcia won't be absorbing all of Carlos's 25 mpg himself, because he already averaged 17 mpg with the Rockets. I think Garcia has a great chance of returning Delfino-like value, and that it's very likely that at least one of the per-36 monsters in Beverley/Jones would also emerge with value. If you can even earn 6th man minutes with the Rockets, while also having a fantasy friendly game, it could mean pretty good value.

Edited by darkyume, 29 August 2013 - 03:54 AM.

• christian likes this

#7 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

I don't know enough about Patrick Beverly's game enough to comment about it, but I will say that people are in for a surprise if they're going to write of Jeremy Lin this easily. I can't remember the last time someone who was so overrated became so underrated in such a short span of time.
  • jayreyd and christian like this

#8 jayreyd

jayreyd

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

I don't know enough about Patrick Beverly's game enough to comment about it, but I will say that people are in for a surprise if they're going to write of Jeremy Lin this easily. I can't remember the last time someone who was so overrated became so underrated in such a short span of time.

I've had my sights set on this guy most of the summer. People just hate on him for some reason but his numbers last year were great as a 2nd pg. this year I hope to get him on the cheap as most people in my league don't care for him. Hopefully the PnR talk with dwight wasn't just smoke and mirrors cus if him and Howard click in that scenario it will be a gold mine.

Edited by jayreyd, 29 August 2013 - 01:36 PM.

I got my Landry Fields Raps jersey.... Do you?

#9 darkyume

darkyume

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

I honestly don't think Jeremy Lin will lose his job (unless Beverley is just... amazing next season), although I am also admittedly a bit disconcerted by the negative news surrounding him.

The main point I wanted to make was that I don't necessarily agree with posters that think that Beverley wouldn't hold value in standard leagues unless Lin gets injured/overtaken. His stats are rather similar to Bledsoe, and Bledsoe certainly would've had held long term value even if he averaged, say 25 mpg. As reference, Bledsoe was ranked #130 overall @ 20.4 mpg, and Beverley was #163 overall @ 17.4 mpg, and their per 36 rankings were #23 and #27 respectively. If Beverley were to get a bump in minutes to 25+ mpg, I would be more far interested in him compared to a 6th man like Jarrett Jack who is still being drafted despite the fact that he moved to what looks like a less favorable situation.

Edited by darkyume, 29 August 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#10 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

I've had my sights set on this guy most of the summer. People just hate on him for some reason but his numbers last year were great as a 2nd pg. this year I hope to get him on the cheap as most people in my league don't care for him. Hopefully the PnR talk with dwight wasn't just smoke and mirrors cus if him and Howard click in that scenario it will be a gold mine.

Are you talking about Beverly or Lin?

#11 jayreyd

jayreyd

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

I was talking about Lin... Fully healthy and should be comfortable with the system and the hype has died down. I forget where but he was talking about being excited about running the PnR with Dwight, even though last year he was involved in a small percentage of the total PnR's run.
I got my Landry Fields Raps jersey.... Do you?

#12 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:14 AM

I think Lin has somehow gone from overrated by some to underrated to now I'm not sure what. I think he may improve on last year, maybe not numbers wise but efficiency wise from experience. Beverly is a totally different type of player. He's not much of a distributor, but he's an excellent disruptor. What makes him such a great bench G is that he is very fast, plays with excellent effort, can produce on both ends, but isn't a good enough floor general (yet or ever) to be a starter. Having to decide between Lin/Beverly is a good problem, not a bad one. In fact to keep with the Asian theme they are the perfect Yin/Yang. Most teams would love to have Beverly come in as a bench spark. And yes while he's not built like Bledsoe, he shares some of the same quickness and hops, and similarities in game.
  • melloyello likes this

#13 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

After reviewing the situation more, I dismissed Lin more than I should have in my original post. My recollection was that HOU voluntarily benched Lin for most of the playoff series with OKC but I was mistaken. It appears that Lin was indeed dealing with a pretty bad chest injury throughout the series. I thought it was a minor injury and that HOU just decided to make the switch to Beverly as their starting PG. All signs point to Lin being the starting PG when the new season starts.

I still like Beverly as a stash in weekly line-up change Roto or H2H leagues where it doesn't hurt you to keep potential on your bench. If he were to become a starter, you would have a potential top 40 player. He won't be an assist machine but as vnmslsrbms mentioned above, his game has similarities to Bledsoe and Beverly will get you close to 1 BLK per game from your PG spot.
  • christian likes this

#14 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:27 PM

Rockets fans have to be excited about their team. Harden and Howard given a year or two should be able to take them to the next level. If their bench can also develop (Beverly, Terrence Jones, Motie, etc) and get a couple more 3 and D players, they will be in excellent shape to be championship contenders. They probably need one more elite scorer to be considered on the Miami level though. I don't think anyone on their current roster has the potential to be that. At least based on what they have showed so far. If one of Parsons or Jeremy Lin can step up to that level and their bench improves, then the Rockets could take off to the finals.

#15 deathrazor

deathrazor

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

Will he be able to average 25mpg? With Lin's statement in a RW blurb that he can play SG next to Beverley.

#16 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

in my league over 200 players will be taken in the draft. so I might just draft him.

#17 canaan_ko

canaan_ko

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:NBA, MLB

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:04 AM

that tenacious defense...

Yahoo 12 Team H2H Cool Basketball Keeper League

PG: Jrue Holiday, Brandon Jennings, Isaiah Thomas

SG: JR Smith, Danny Green, Jarret Jack 

SF: Andrew Wiggins, Matt Barnes

PF: Thaddeus Young, Terrence Jones, Markieff Morris

C: Marc Gasol, Tyson Chandler, Henry Sims

IL: Jodie Meeks

Yahoo 14 Team H2H YES!!! And it counts!

PG: Mike Conley, Jeff Teague, Tony Wroten

SG: Wesley Matthews, K.J. McDaniels, Jamal Crawford

SF: Joe Johnson, C.J. Miles

PF: Anthony Davis, Paul Millsap, Tristan Thompson

C: Marc Gasol, Kelly Olynk, Jonas Valanciunas

#18 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Rockets fans have to be excited about their team. Harden and Howard given a year or two should be able to take them to the next level. If their bench can also develop (Beverly, Terrence Jones, Motie, etc) and get a couple more 3 and D players, they will be in excellent shape to be championship contenders. They probably need one more elite scorer to be considered on the Miami level though. I don't think anyone on their current roster has the potential to be that. At least based on what they have showed so far. If one of Parsons or Jeremy Lin can step up to that level and their bench improves, then the Rockets could take off to the finals.

Once Beverly develops a bit more, and the Rockets grab some guys to strengthen the bench, this is a championship team. Hell, even now I would rank them top 5 in the NBA.

#19 Andross22

Andross22

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

in my league over 200 players will be taken in the draft. so I might just draft him.

I can't think of a legit "coming off the bench" point guard aside from Collison, Vasquez/IT, R. Jackson, J. Jack.. I would definitely pick him up by that point
New to Fantasy Football - Fantasy Basketball Addict

#20 TheOneAboveAll

TheOneAboveAll

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

Will he be able to average 25mpg? With Lin's statement in a RW blurb that he can play SG next to Beverley.

It's possible. Parsons will play as a stretch 4 and Harden takes the 3-spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users