Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Cierre Wood 2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 SilentSentinel

SilentSentinel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

From CBS's draft profile:

One of the more underrated running backs in the nation, Wood is a creative runner with the natural ability to make an impact at the next level. He offers an athletic blend of vision and quickness to accelerate in a flash and explode through holes at the line of scrimmage.
These traits, along with good vision, speed and size make him an intriguing NFL prospect with enough upside to warrant middle-round consideration.
The difference between his being drafted in the third round or the sixth could come down to the performance he has in pre-draft workouts and the feedback teams receive when investigating his suspension.

STRENGTHS: A patient runner with good eyes, allowing blocks to develop with natural running instincts. Balanced runner with the fluid change of direction ability to make sharp cuts, sidestep defenders and elude would-be tacklers. He runs with deceiving power and won't go down easy,
WEAKNESSES: Can be too indecisive at times and tends to wear down late in games. Doesn't run as powerfully as his size would indicate and remains a bit rough around the edges as a pass blocker.

Rotoworld blurbs:

Texans signed Notre Dame RB Cierre Wood.
Wood was a rotational back throughout his career, tallying 2,447 yards and 16 touchdowns on 450 carries (5.44 YPC). He caught 52 passes. Wood ran a 4.56 forty with a 1.53 ten-yard split at the Combine, the latter time confirming his short-area burst. Wood runs frustratingly small for his size -- he'll dance in the backfield and is poor in short yardage -- but is creative and laterally elusive with quick feet. He's got an outside chance to develop into an NFL asset. Arian Foster's backup, Ben Tate, will be a free agent after this season.

Apr 27 - 10:10 PM

Texans UDFA Cierre Wood led the team with 10 carries for 59 yards and caught a 14-yard pass in Friday night's preseason opener.
Meanwhile, No. 3 back competitor Dennis Johnson managed 11 yards on seven runs with a six-yard catch. Wood is making a case for the job behind Arian Foster and Ben Tate, which would make him a nice deep fantasy sleeper. "He exceeded expectations," coach Gary Kubiak said of Wood. "He has talent and he has opportunity, and when those two things come together, good things happen." Aug 10 - 2:56 PM

In yesterday's preseason finale, he ran for 107 yards on 19 carries including a 41 yard run. He also caught 3 passes for 29 yards. During camp he was in competition with other undrafted guys Ray Graham and Dennis Johnson, both of whom were recently waived. He's 4th on the depth chart right now, but the current no. 3 back on the Texans is Deji Karim, who has a career YPC of 3.0 and didn't get a single carry with the Colts last year. If he can beat out Karim, he has a shot at having some value this season, and especially next season, with Ben Tate possibly moving to a new team and Arian Foster having another year of wear and tear.

Anyone else biting on this guy? I've had him stashed on my taxi squad in my dynasty league since June and liked what I've seen so far.

12 Team Standard (Pick 11) (7-4)
QB: Jay Cutler
RB: Demarco Murray, Andre Ellington, Tre Mason, Jerick McKinnon, Adrian Peterson
WR: Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Kelvin Benjamin, Mike Wallace, Keenan Allen
TE: Travis Kelce, Jordan Cameron
Def: Lions, Packers
K: Chandler Catanzaro
12 Team 0.5 PPR IDP Dynasty (11-0)
QB: Peyton Manning, Tony Romo
RB: Lamar Miller, Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, Frank Gore, Isaiah Crowell, Terrance West, Christine Michael, Robert Turbin, Chris Polk, Daniel Thomas, Antonio Andrews, Ahmad Bradshaw
WR: Dez Bryant, Michael Floyd, Percy Harvin, Torrey Smith, Allen Hurns, Duron Carter
TE: Julius Thomas, Jordan Cameron, Tim Wright
K: Dan Bailey
DL: Everson Griffen, Jason Pierre-Paul, Chandler Jones
LB: Lavonte David
DB: Antrel Rolle

#2 Scottie15

Scottie15

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

Dynasty maybe, but Tate looks like the dude right now once Arian breaks down.

10-Team Standard Format

QB: Mark Sanchez, Tony Romo

WR: Antonio Brown, Roddy White, Emmanuel Sanders, Josh Gordon, Jordan Matthews

RB: Matt Forte, Denard Robinson, Rashad Jennings, Joique Bell, Fred Jackson

TE: Jimmy Graham

K: Justin Tucker

DEF: Buffalo, Tennessee

#3 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

I agree. Dynasty leagues he might have some value, but I wouldn't expect much of anything this year.
No Days Off

#4 SilentSentinel

SilentSentinel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

That's probably the case, but he's a good name to file away in deeper leagues, expecially given ben tate's issues staying on the field last year.

RB: Demarco Murray, Andre Ellington, Tre Mason, Jerick McKinnon, Adrian Peterson
RB: Lamar Miller, Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, Frank Gore, Isaiah Crowell, Terrance West, Christine Michael, Robert Turbin, Chris Polk, Daniel Thomas, Antonio Andrews, Ahmad Bradshaw
WR: Dez Bryant, Michael Floyd, Percy Harvin, Torrey Smith, Allen Hurns, Duron Carter

#5 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

I stashed Wood on one of my dynasty teams. I don't think Tate will be on the Texans roster next year unless the wheels come completely off of Foster.

Edited by pikerbkb, 30 August 2013 - 05:45 PM.

(12:56) T.Richardson up the middle to 50 for -5 yards (W.Mercilus). :)  :)  :) 

#6 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

Wow, they waived D.J. too huh? They are gambling no one picks him up and he lands on the practice squad. The little guy is so versatile, can be a back up at RB and play special teams, return kicks. He will get picked up by someone, if not the Texans.

(12:56) T.Richardson up the middle to 50 for -5 yards (W.Mercilus). :)  :)  :) 

#7 SilentSentinel

SilentSentinel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

He's beaten out Deji Karim (not surprising) and is officially the 3rd back on the team. If you're in a deep league, he's good name to stash away.

#8 stevekerr01

stevekerr01

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

anyone still stashing this guy in dynasty leagues?
H2H 10 team points
C Mauer, 1B David Ortiz, 2B Dustin Pedrioa, SS Troy Tulo, 3B Ryan Zimmerman, OF Carlos Gonzalez, OF Justin Upton, OF Allen Craig, OF Mark Trumbo, Util Desmond Jennings, Util Gyorko, Bench Texiera, Rollins, Swisher
SP Ryu, Jared Weaver, Mike Minor, Iwakuma, Gallardo, Garza, Haren, Mike Leake, RP balfour, Fernando Rodney, H. Street

#9 SilentSentinel

SilentSentinel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Still have him stashed with Ben Tate a free agent after this season. It's rumored that the Browns may go after Ben Tate in the offseason, which would theoretically make Wood the #2 in Houston behind an even more worn down Foster.

#10 ptownblazer

ptownblazer

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

I would drop Felix Jones and add him in your Dynasty league. I think Felix Jones has nothing more to offer the NFL, and the spot would be better used on a younger back with at least a ray of hope for future production. I don't mean to turn this into an AC post, but of course the dynasty league question is totally dependent on settings, and given that you have a very large roster I think I would if I was you specifically.
Hi

#11 stevekerr01

stevekerr01

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

no worries, i actually owned both but i just updated my profile i had dropped jones already to pick up someone else i think snelling at the time.I have him stashed and just seeing if anyone else still sees his upside.
H2H 10 team points
C Mauer, 1B David Ortiz, 2B Dustin Pedrioa, SS Troy Tulo, 3B Ryan Zimmerman, OF Carlos Gonzalez, OF Justin Upton, OF Allen Craig, OF Mark Trumbo, Util Desmond Jennings, Util Gyorko, Bench Texiera, Rollins, Swisher
SP Ryu, Jared Weaver, Mike Minor, Iwakuma, Gallardo, Garza, Haren, Mike Leake, RP balfour, Fernando Rodney, H. Street

#12 coleporter

coleporter

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

I guess we still have to wait for the injury updates and status for both Foster and Tate. That said with the season rapidly going downhill for the Texans could this be the time for them to see what they have in Cierre Wood? He could be the ultimate sneaky pick-up.
C Vogt
1B Jose Abreu
2B Altuve
3B Castellanos
SS Danny Santana
OF Puig
OF JD Martinez
Of Myers
UTL Ozuna

Bench:, Yan Gomes (7 Day DL), Calhoun, Baez
Multi-Position: Castellanos (OF, 3B), Santana (SS,OF), Vogt (C, 1B, OF) Baez (SS,2B)
SP: Alex Wood Teheran, Arrieta, Wada, Harang, Carrasco . RP: Rosenthal, Gregerson
DL: Doolittle, Goldschmidt

#13 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

I guess we still have to wait for the injury updates and status for both Foster and Tate. That said with the season rapidly going downhill for the Texans could this be the time for them to see what they have in Cierre Wood? He could be the ultimate sneaky pick-up.

With the bye week coming up giving Foster and Tate time to heal, I doubt we'll see anything from Wood in week 9.

#14 phatrat

phatrat

Superstar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Texans waived RB Cierre Wood, DE Sam Montgomery and OLB Willie Jefferson. They violated team rules in Kansas City and were sent home.

https://twitter.com/...355465125842944

Edited by phatrat, 21 October 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#15 NYG1119

NYG1119

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

Cut along with DE Sam Montgomery, and OLB Willie Jefferson for violating team rules.

All three players had off-field issues in college, leading to Wood and Jefferson both falling out of April's draft altogether, while Montgomery -- once a projected first-round pick -- slid deep into the third round. This is a huge, knuckleheaded missed opportunity for Wood, who was in line for a potentially bigger role after Arian Foster (hamstring) and Ben Tate (rib) suffered Week 7 injuries. Montgomery was the 95th overall pick in the draft.

Related: Texans

Source: John McClain on Twitter
Oct 21 - 2:26 PM

#16 financewonk

financewonk

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

He's a talented kid. I would like to see him get a shot with TB or NYG
12-team - H2H - 5X5 - Limited Keeper

C- Jonathan Lucroy
1B- Paul Goldschmidt
2B- Ian Kinsler
SS- Andrelton Simmons
3B- Miguel Cabrera
OF- Mike Trout, Adam Jones, Alex Gordon
UTL- Yasiel Puig
Bench- Kyle Seager, Eric Hosmer, Dexter Fowler

SP- Chris Sale, James Shields, Matt Moore, Matt Garza, Jose Fernandez
RP- Greg Holland, Danny Farquhar
Bench- Tim Lincecum, Jarrod Parker, Gerrit Cole, Anibal Sanchez

#17 SilentSentinel

SilentSentinel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

Ugh. He actually could have gotten a bit of work but it looks like he was too much of a knucklehead.

Who is the Texan's 3rd back now?

#18 financewonk

financewonk

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

He's a talented kid. I would like to see him get a shot with TB or NYG

CLE should also look into him

Edited by financewonk, 21 October 2013 - 01:52 PM.

12-team - H2H - 5X5 - Limited Keeper

C- Jonathan Lucroy
1B- Paul Goldschmidt
2B- Ian Kinsler
SS- Andrelton Simmons
3B- Miguel Cabrera
OF- Mike Trout, Adam Jones, Alex Gordon
UTL- Yasiel Puig
Bench- Kyle Seager, Eric Hosmer, Dexter Fowler

SP- Chris Sale, James Shields, Matt Moore, Matt Garza, Jose Fernandez
RP- Greg Holland, Danny Farquhar
Bench- Tim Lincecum, Jarrod Parker, Gerrit Cole, Anibal Sanchez

#19 Sherlock

Sherlock

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

double post

Edited by Sherlock, 21 October 2013 - 01:53 PM.

16 Team/ 9 Cat/ 5 UTIL/30 max moves

G: Curry | Rubio | Oladipo | E. Gordon | Mo | Jack | Lou
F: Horford | Sanders | Draymond | Hollis| Harkless | Perry
C: M. Gasol | R. Lopez | Mozgov | Sims | Wright

#20 scienergy

scienergy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Wow I was seriously considering picking him up this week as insurance for Foster/Tate and for next year when Tate is gone to free agency. I don't see a 3rd RB on the roster.