Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

Buy Low/Sell High Thread - 2013 Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
201 replies to this topic

#1 Sven

Sven

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

If this thread already exists then kindly point me in the right direction.

Everyone should be looking to trade for Cam Newton after week 1.
12 Yahoo!

QB - C. Newton (69)
RB - E. Lacy (4)
RB - D. Murray (21)
WR - V. Jackson (28)
WR - M. Crabtree (52)
WR - C. Shorts (93)
TE - J. Cameron (76)
W/R/T - R. Mathews (45)
K - A. Viniteri (172)
Def - New England (165)

Bench - J. Football (100), J. Starks (117), A. Boldin (124), D. McFadden (141), K. Davis (148), A. WIlliams (189)

#2 Deckard Pain

Deckard Pain

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

Eddie Lacy could be a good buy low after facing 49er's defense first.

#3 allysan1027

allysan1027

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

people aren't that dumb are they?

#4 instant290

instant290

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

I am abandoning this method for the 2013 season. Not saying it isn't often a smart approach, but personally I always seem to sell high on players on that stay high, and buy low on players that stay low...the latter being a real pain in the butt.

#5 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

Sorry, but if there's an owner that's ready to give up on Cam Newton after a potentially bad week 1 game, then that owner deserves to finish last in the league. Cam is a top 5 QB and his owner would be stupid to let him go.

Aaron Rodgers suffered through a pretty pedestrian first half of the season last year and I doubt that there were a lot of his owners who traded him away. You simply don't trade elite QBs.

#6 True No1

True No1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

I am abandoning this method for the 2013 season. Not saying it isn't often a smart approach, but personally I always seem to sell high on players on that stay high, and buy low on players that stay low...the latter being a real pain in the butt.

Just feel like trolling you for a sec. So you're admitting to making awful trades and misjudging players, but also smart enough to know Tavon Austin is worth his ADP and an 8th overall pick by Rams?

On topic: Sell high Tavon Austin, that is if he ever does anything. Should he manage one good game this season, the media will over hype him like they've been doing all offseason and he should be relatively easy to ship away.
QB: Wait, who actually puts a team in their signature?
RB: I ignore all who do this.

#7 instant290

instant290

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

Just feel like trolling you for a sec. So you're admitting to making awful trades and misjudging players, but also smart enough to know Tavon Austin is worth his ADP and an 8th overall pick by Rams?

On topic: Sell high Tavon Austin, that is if he ever does anything. Should he manage one good game this season, the media will over hype him like they've been doing all offseason and he should be relatively easy to ship away.

And you expect me to respond to this. Ok kid, you won't get anymore troll bait from me.

#8 Morkai

Morkai

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

And you expect me to respond to this. Ok kid, you won't get anymore troll bait from me.

Hate to point this out.... but you just did.

#9 puck4life

puck4life

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

Well I find that funny because Cam Newton plays my Buffalo Bills weakened secondary week 2 - so I don't know if this would be the best option.

10 Team - PPR (ALL TD-6 pts) - Big $
QB-Luck
WR(2)- Antonio Brown, R. White (Wallace, Decker, Kendal Wright)
RB(2)- Murray, G. Bernard (P. Thomas, Joique Bell, J. Reed))
TE- Graham
D/ST- Cincy
K- Baily
IDP- Meyo
12 Team - PPR (ALL TD-6 pts)
QB- Cousins
WR(3)- Marshall, Crabtree, Fitzgerald, (Cooper, J. Hunter, Sanu)
RB(2)- Murray, Ellington, Vereen (S. Jackson)

TE - Kelce (J. Reed)
D/ST- 49'ers
K- Cody Parkey

#10 scienergy

scienergy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

Selling Bowe and buying Gordon.

#11 Singing in Dwayne

Singing in Dwayne

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

You can abandon the method per say, but you should still read and contribute to it, as this is also a thread that exhibits great insight on current player statuses, and selling high is always fun.

12-team PPR:
Matt Ryan
Giovani Bernard/Rashad Jennings/Ahmad Bradshaw/Joique Bell/Branden Oliver/Jeremy Hill
Dez Bryant/Pierre Garcon/Roddy White/Andre Johnson/Allen Robinson
Larry Donnell/Zach Ertz

#12 volcomstone

volcomstone

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

Selling Bowe and buying Gordon.

Yea I agree with the buying low on Gordon through the draft. His ADP has dropped like crazy due to his suspension and people are dropping him as of recently in Yahoo Leagues because of the "NA" designation he just received. So you should hopefully be able to get Gordon for practically nothing and he has the upside to be a weekly WR3 or maybe bump up to WR2. With the new offensive scheme in CLE under Chud/Turner, you can't help but think that it can only go up from last year where Gordon did pretty decent for what was given to him. We all know his talented but a knucklehead...nonetheless the risk should be low on him since you shouldn't have to spend too much to get him but I think his ceiling is high.
10 Team #1 PPR League ($ Re-draft)
QB: Tony Romo
RB1 and RB2: Eddie Lacy and Le'veon Bell
Flex (RB/WR/TE): Andre Brown
WR1 and WR2: Larry Fitzgerald and Percy Harvin
TE: Martellus Bennett
PK: Garrett Hartley
DEF: Cincy
Bench: RGIII, CJ Spiller, Harry Douglas, Le'Veon Bell, Tim Wright

10 Team #2 ($ Re-draft)
QB: RGIII
RB1 and RB2: Adrian Peterson and Eddie Lacy
Flex (RB/WR/TE): Le'Veon Bell
WR1/2/3: Percy Harvin, Marques Colston, and Riley Cooper
TE: Jimmy Graham
PK: Mason Crosby
DEF: New England
Bench: Andy Dalton, Steven Jackson, Terrance Williams, Harry Douglas, and Denver Def

#13 instant290

instant290

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

You can abandon the method per say, but you should still read and contribute to it, as this is also a thread that exhibits great insight on current player statuses, and selling high is always fun.

I am just saying, in my case this method has not really worked out, especially when we are talking about Rotoworlds trendy buy-lows and sell-highs. Last year DMC was a consensus buy low after his slow start, I am sure we all know how that worked out. Stevan Ridley was also a consensus sell high here after his first big game because people though Bill would switch RBs midseason. ..again most people probably regret selling him unless they got a really good haul.

My point is, often a hot start or streak is a sign of things to come and adversely if a player is doing poorly they can likely just be having a poor season. The only Buy Low/Sell High that I can think of off the top of my head that would have been successful would have been for those that sold high on Kevin Ogletree after week 1...and even then he was a week 1 WW add so I doubt anyone got much of a haul for him. I am sure there were more, but none come to mind at this moment.

This method also is highly dependent on the makeup of your league mates, some managers are just unwilling to buy into the hype of a player and overpay for him, while other managers cannot accept that their first round pick just might be a bust and they should probably let him go at less than face value.

Edited by instant290, 03 September 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#14 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,967 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

I am just saying, in my case this method has not really worked out, especially when we are talking about Rotoworlds trendy buy-lows and sell-highs. Last year DMC was a consensus buy low after his slow start, I am sure we all know how that worked out. Stevan Ridley was also a consensus sell high here after his first big game because people though Bill would switch RBs midseason. ..again most people probably regret selling him unless they got a really good haul.

My point is, often a hot start or streak is a sign of things to come and adversely if a player is doing poorly they can likely just be having a poor season. The only Buy Low/Sell High that I can think of off the top of my head that would have been successful would have been for those that sold high on Kevin Ogletree after week 1...and even then he was a week 1 WW add so I doubt anyone got much of a haul for him. I am sure there were more, but none come to mind at this moment.

This method also is highly dependent on the makeup of your league mates, some managers are just unwilling to buy into the hype of a player and overpay for him, while other managers cannot accept that their first round pick just might be a bust and they should probably let him go at less than face value.

It's called a risk. All risks don't pay off. Anyone who acts like they haven't ever made a bad trade is either 1. lying or 2. haven't made enough trades. Most likely both. But over the course of a lifetime (many fantasy seasons) this strategy will overall benefit your fantasy earnings in the long run. Consistency is the important factor here. Imagine if you made more trades, that actually worked out.

Buying low and selling high is an art. You can't just do it once, and then get gun shy because it didn't work out for you. Get back on the horse.

#15 instant290

instant290

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

I was just using last season as an example. I can go back several years and think of people I have sold high on or bought low on that didn't work out. Sold high on Jordy in 2011, high on Foster in 2010. bought low on Portis in 2009. Like I said I am not disputing the theory of Buy Low/Sell High, I am just saying I have terrible luck with it, and browsing these forums for 4+ years now, often these candidates that Rotoworld elects are the ones that fail.

For this season if I have a player that makes an unexpected hot start, or has a big game I am going to think twice about the situation before throwing him on the trade block and accepting the first "Sell High" offer I get, because often that return you get for "selling high" is not as valuable as the product you just sold.

Edited by instant290, 03 September 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#16 alleyce

alleyce

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

I hardly ever see people bite on the trades of selling a stud low after a couple bad weeks or buying a weekly wonder high because of a good start

I like trading a position I am deep in for a position I need help on and finding an owner in my opposite situation. This sell high stuff only works on rookies.

Edited by alleyce, 03 September 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#17 dewaser

dewaser

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

Buy low on Chris Ivory

12 team PPR league
QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Alfred Morris
RB: CJ Spiller
FLEX: Shane Vereen
WR: Demaryius Thomas
WR: Roddy White
WR: Wes Welker
TE: Travis Kelce
D/ST: Eagles
K: Adam Vinatieri
Bench: Josh Gordon, Reuben Randle, Ahmad Bradshaw, Anquan Boldin, Eddie Royal, Teddy Bridgewater, Jonathan Stewart

#18 dewaser

dewaser

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

buy low on terelle pryor

12 team PPR league
QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Alfred Morris
RB: CJ Spiller
FLEX: Shane Vereen
WR: Demaryius Thomas
WR: Roddy White
WR: Wes Welker
TE: Travis Kelce
D/ST: Eagles
K: Adam Vinatieri
Bench: Josh Gordon, Reuben Randle, Ahmad Bradshaw, Anquan Boldin, Eddie Royal, Teddy Bridgewater, Jonathan Stewart

#19 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Pre-season Buy lows?

You mean Sleepers? Seems like that's the same thing. .

#20 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

Buy Low on Greg the Leg