Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Sean Lee moving forwardSwitching from 3-4 to 4-3.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 b0x

b0x

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Sean Lee was a stud last year when he was on the field. I had high hopes for him this year. However, after watching the game last night, I didn't see him around the ball as much as I have in the past. Then Chris Collinsworth made a comment that piqued my interest. He said that with the defense moving from Rob Ryan's 3-4 to Monte Kiffin's 4-3, Sean Lee has much fewer oppurtunities to attack the running back and is matched up against the tight end much more often. According to Yahoo, he had 4 Tack Solo, 1 Tack Assist, and 1 Pass Def last night. He had almost double the points last year on a per game basis in the 3-4.

How do you think this will effect him moving forward? Am I looking too deep into this after only one week? Was it because the Giants were throwing so much? Or is this something that is going to be a trend. Right now I am a little bit worried...
Team 1 - Yahoo - 10 Team - .5 PPR (Bold = Starting Slot)
QB Cam Newton (Romo)
WR Randall Cobb, Pierre Garcon (Cecil Shorts, Antonio Brown)
RB Trent Richardson, Alfred Morris (Bryce Brown, Deangelo Williams)
TE Julius Thomas (Kyle Rudolph)
Flex McFadden
K Henery
D/ST Minnesota (Streaming)
IDP JJ Watt, Kiko Alonso

Team 2 - Yahoo - 8 Team - 1 PPR - 5 PT Passing TD (Bold = Starting Slot)
QB Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford (Jay Cutler)
WR Fitzgerald, Welker, DeSean Jackson, Cecil Shorts (Tavon Austin, DeAndre Hopkins, Kenbrel Thompkins, Sanu)
RB Jamaal Charles, Marshawn Lynch (LeVeon Bell, Ben Tate)
TE Jason Witten
Flex DeMarco Murray
K Hartley

#2 Se7enLikeMe

Se7enLikeMe

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

You're over thinking. It's just one game.

Lee is arguably the best cover LB in the game, and is going to put up nasty numbers in the cover 2.

Just a meh game for him. Look at what Kuechly did yesterday...

At the end of the season, the numbers will be there for the elite.

#3 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

View Postb0x, on 09 September 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Sean Lee was a stud last year when he was on the field. I had high hopes for him this year. However, after watching the game last night, I didn't see him around the ball as much as I have in the past. Then Chris Collinsworth made a comment that piqued my interest. He said that with the defense moving from Rob Ryan's 3-4 to Monte Kiffin's 4-3, Sean Lee has much fewer oppurtunities to attack the running back and is matched up against the tight end much more often. According to Yahoo, he had 4 Tack Solo, 1 Tack Assist, and 1 Pass Def last night. He had almost double the points last year on a per game basis in the 3-4.

How do you think this will effect him moving forward? Am I looking too deep into this after only one week? Was it because the Giants were throwing so much? Or is this something that is going to be a trend. Right now I am a little bit worried...

I think you're justified in your concern.  In the Tampa 2 in TB will Derrick Brooks was the big stat guy.  In Chicago it was mike Urlacher. We don't know which of Lee or Carter is going to be the stat guy in Dallas yet.  As a Cowboy fan and Lee owner in a dynasty league I traded for Carter just before the season to cover myself.  

Watch and observe for a few weeks but keep an eye on Carter and other possible linebackers are a replacement for Lee if he's truly dropping as much as it appears he's going to.  Zach Brown in Tennessee is a potential stud.

#4 dorsett33

dorsett33

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Im a bit worried about Lee and his fantasy #'s going forward as well.  In that 3-4 scheme he was always around the ball....last night I had to really look to find him on the field.  Hopefully Monte Kiffin puts him in better opportunities going forward because the guy really is a great talent.  I think the Giants predominantly throwing the ball all over the field didn't help his case either.  Lets see what happens when he goes against a team that tries to run the ball 30+ times in the game.

#5 12th Man

12th Man

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

So, do OLB's target the RB more than MLB's, leading to more points?  Or is it just OLB's in a 3-4 defense that rack up more points?  I'm guessing LB's that go after the RB and blitz get more points usually?  Are there certain types of offenses you want your IDP to be playing to maximize their chances of scoring you points?  I have Sean Lee as one of my IDP's and wonder what to look for in them each week.
Non-PPR, 12-Team Keeper League

QB: Ryan Tannehill
RB: Eddie Lacy
WR: Alshon Jeffery
Flex: Matt Forte
Flex: Shane Vereen
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Bills (streaming)
K: Dan Bailey
IDP: Lawrence Timmons
IDP: Patrick Willis

Bench: Andy Dalton, Jordy Nelson, Harry Douglas, Roddy White, Doug Martin, Martellus Bennett

#6 b0x

b0x

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

View Post12th Man, on 10 September 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

So, do OLB's target the RB more than MLB's, leading to more points?  Or is it just OLB's in a 3-4 defense that rack up more points?  I'm guessing LB's that go after the RB and blitz get more points usually?  Are there certain types of offenses you want your IDP to be playing to maximize their chances of scoring you points?  I have Sean Lee as one of my IDP's and wonder what to look for in them each week.

This is my personal opinion, but I tend to look for ILBs in 3-4 schemes for my IDPs (besides outliers like JJ Watt). The ILBs in 3-4s tend to tackle the RB most of the time. Guys like Navarro Bowman, Lawrence Timmons, and Paul Posluszny. And tackles are the most consistent form of production week to week (this assumes yahoo standard scoring). Make sure you look at your IDP scoring before making a selection.
QB Cam Newton (Romo)
Flex McFadden
K Henery
IDP JJ Watt, Kiko Alonso

WR Fitzgerald, Welker, DeSean Jackson, Cecil Shorts (Tavon Austin, DeAndre Hopkins, Kenbrel Thompkins, Sanu)
TE Jason Witten
Flex DeMarco Murray
K Hartley

#7 12th Man

12th Man

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

That makes sense, because when I looked, the ILBs had usually gotten more points, or tackles anyways, than OLBs and most DEs.  In 3-4 defenses.  So thank you for the advice on that.  I'm not sure what to go for on 4-3 defenses.  Maybe weakside LB's from what I see generally?  I swear Woodyard for DEN was playing MLB, so unless I'm mistaken they just switched the LB's around on their depth chart and now he's weakside while Shaun Phillips, who got more points because of 2.5 sacks, is now strongside(he was weakside if I remember).  I'd be more inclined to go with Woodyard due to tackles being more dependable.  For what it's worth, INT's, Sacks, Fum Rec, Blk Kicks, and Safeties are 2 points, Tack Ast are 0.5, TD's are 6, everything else is 1.

How do you feel about DB's? Avoid them or is there a place for them?  Mostly I'd say they depend on INT's and TD's on top of a decent amount of the 1-pointers.  But Duke Ihenacho and Eric Weddle are two that just got plenty of tackles and some defended passes, so they obviously were around the ball plenty.  I just don't know if they are liable to do that week to week.
Non-PPR, 12-Team Keeper League

QB: Ryan Tannehill
RB: Eddie Lacy
WR: Alshon Jeffery
Flex: Matt Forte
Flex: Shane Vereen
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Bills (streaming)
K: Dan Bailey
IDP: Lawrence Timmons
IDP: Patrick Willis

Bench: Andy Dalton, Jordy Nelson, Harry Douglas, Roddy White, Doug Martin, Martellus Bennett

#8 freevick

freevick

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:05 AM

another weak game (stats wise)

#9 munygon2

munygon2

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

I may have to cut him.  Is this an result of the new defensive scheme?  Bruce Carter has outproduced in both weeks, sort of like the experts thought he might.

#10 b0x

b0x

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

I think I am going to cut him. Its entirely due to scheme, because he looks healthy. He just isn't around the ball much anymore. I can't afford to take up a roster spot to leave him on the bench and hope he turns it around. Carter might be someone to look at.
QB Cam Newton (Romo)
Flex McFadden
K Henery
IDP JJ Watt, Kiko Alonso

TE Jason Witten
Flex DeMarco Murray
K Hartley

#11 muggsy_bogues

muggsy_bogues

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:sports, sports, sports, women, sports, cars, collecting memorabilia, sports, hockey, fantasy sports!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

I might be cutting him also. I snagged Carter last week. So far so good. I could use the extra roster space.
2013-2014 Fantasy Hockey 10-team H2H
C:  Malkin, RNH, MacKinnon, Ryan O'Reilly, Vermette, Bergeron
LW: JVR, Landeskog, Lupul, Loui Eriksson
RW: Gabby, Alfie, Horton
D:  Subban, Chara, Shattenkirk, McDonagh, Trouba, Dougie H., Maatta
G:  Bob, Miller, Eddie Lack

2013-2014 Fantasy Basketball 10-team H2H
PG: Ty Lawson, M.C. Williams, Rajon Rondo, Trey Burke
SG: Bradley Beal, Gordon Hayward, Wesley Matthews, Kevin Martin
SF: LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, Kyle Singler, Matt Barnes
PF: Pau Gasol, JJ Hickson
C:  Al Jefferson,

2014 Fantasy Baseball Keepers:
Joey Votto, Paul Goldschmidt, Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Gonzalez, Yu Darvish, Jose Fernandez

#12 eom

eom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

woodyard was a wlb who got moved over to mlb as a fill in because of roster issues, and has done pretty well there in fantasy.

it's hard to tell you what positions do what because there are a lot of varieties of defenses, and what you want to do is understand the basics of each and what role the various players have.

for example, generally speaking, you want a mlb in the 4-3 because of the tackle opps they have, but in the tampa 2 flavor of 4-3 the mlb tends to drop into coverage and the wlb is set up to produce tackles, which is most likely what you are seeing in monte kiffen's dallas def.
here's a link describing teh billy davis 4-3 under they are probably running in philly
http://www.phillymag...-the-4-3-under/

the 3-4 also comes in different flavors, but there's generally a more productive wilb spot in that defense to produce tackles.
ray horton's defense in arizona featured a lot of ilb blitzes, which you will most likely see him use in cle, and you also might see in pitt, but other teams get most of their 3-4 pass rush from the edges.

another thing to bear in mind is that regardless of scheme, a big part of production is opportunity in teh form of snaps, and you should know which lb will be on the field on every snap, and which are removed in nickel/dime for a db.
for example, houston likes dime, leaving cushing on the field --- teams playing new england often use a lot of nickel, removing a lb, etc.
you can find snap counts here
http://www.footballo...tats/snapcounts

here's some more info for you
http://subscribers.f...on_breaking.php

#13 dorsett33

dorsett33

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

Great to see Sean Lee string together some real big games.  This guy has all the talent in the world and if he can stay healthy he should be a Top-5 IDP guy going forward.

#14 crazystang

crazystang

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

Sean Lee or Paul Posluszny (JAX) moving forward? Both are available and Im thinking about getting Lee.

#15 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

View Postcrazystang, on 14 October 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

Sean Lee or Paul Posluszny (JAX) moving forward? Both are available and Im thinking about getting Lee.
Have a back up plan for Lee, he was injured in college and has been hurt every year in the NFL.  Great talent, but injuries seem to find him and he is a tough guy too, works hard, etc...but just has the injury bug.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#16 Gains

Gains

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

meh, seems like the DMC of linebackers to me. Never now which game he is going to get hurt and screw you in,plus drafting him often means another rooster spot is taken by a backup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users