Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Favorite Team v Fantasy Team

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you care about more? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you care about more?

1. Fantasy Football (31 votes [48.44%])

Percentage of vote: 48.44%

2. Your Favorite NFL team (33 votes [51.56%])

Percentage of vote: 51.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:34 PM

A question that comes up a lot, especially from people who don't play fantasy to people that do. Really was curious how you guys and gals felt about this.

Let's say your favorite team is the Cowboys. They are playing the Chiefs, and you have Jaamal Charles and Dwayne Bowe. Your opponent has Dez Bryant.

Used a week 2 example that I was faced with as my example.

Tell the truth! If your fantasy team is #1 in your heart that's completely fine with me. Just curious about the debate.
Who is #1 in your heart?

Edited by GottaGetTheWin, 16 September 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#2 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

Jerry Jones has made it an easy, bitter choice for me.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#3 smokin_that_greenellis

smokin_that_greenellis

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

I always find myself pulling for my favorite team over my fantasy guys. It's almost second nature for me. If you put my favorite team on the TV in front of me I'm going to root for them to win and be oblivious to anything and everything in the world. Including my girlfriend, family, dog, personal well being, etc.

It's all fun and games until a fart becomes a shart.

12-Team Standard

QB:   Eli Manning

RB:   Shady McCoy

RB:   R. Hillman -- M. Ball, B. Cunningham, C. Hyde

WR:  R. Cobb

WR:  V. Jackson

WR:  J. Hunter -- C. Patterson, J. Matthews

TE:   H. Miller -- Z. Ertz

FLX: A. Ellington

#4 tsbass180

tsbass180

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

I cheer for my favorite team and my fantasy team. I cheer for my team to win in a shootout. In your above scenario I would cheer for Charles and Bowe to go crazy against the cowboys defense but for the cowboys to keep up and for Witten and the rest of the WRs have a big game while Dez is relatively quiet.

#5 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

That's why it is good to be a Jets fan.

#1: They are terrible, so I don't expect much from them anyway.

#2: They don't have any fantasy players that are useful.

#3: Since they are awful, I will root for my fantasy players on the other team the Jets are playing. They won't compete anyway, so what difference does it make?
Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#6 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

In all seriousness though, I'm not going to lie, but fantasy football has made me much less of a football fan. I just find that I'm not cheering for my favorite team as often. Maybe it's because the Jets are bad, but even when they were decent, I wasn't nearly as much of a football fan as I was before FF.
Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#7 RADickey4Prez

RADickey4Prez

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

Team 1st
Fantasy 2nd

#8 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

Being in LA I dont really have a home team, so FF works out perfectly. Im sort of a de facto Chargers fan, but I really dont care what happens to them at the end of the day. Ive never had an NFL team in mu adult life, so its very alien to me.

To give a real answer though, the Dodgers and Lakers are my teams, and I always root for them ahead of any fantasy team of mine.

#9 MaskingQ

MaskingQ

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:53 PM

I play in multiple leagues. So I always have someone from my favorite team playing for at least one of my fantasy team. So I cheer for my favorite team always before fantasy team (since I have so many...one is bound to do well).
Standard; 12 team league: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, Flex (WR/RB), TE, K, D
**QB - 6 points for TDs**

QB: T. Brady
WR: M. Crabtree, V. Jackson, Josh Gordon, V. Cruz, K. Benjamin
RB: L. Mccoy, A. Foster, R. Bush, L. Miller
FLEX: A. Bradshaw (RB)
TE: D. Pitta (dropping), M. Bennett
K: S. Hauschka
DST: 49ers

#10 taobball

taobball

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:53 PM

I was always conflicted growing up between the Chicago Bears and the Indianapolis Colts, because I live in Northern Indiana and am actually (in terms of drive time) closer to Chicago. I tend to lean towards the Bears (just to join with the Bulls and Cubs) but because of the conflict I never grew up loving one team, so I think I marginalize that.

Despite that, I was disappointed that the Colts couldn't beat the Dolphins and although when he scored the TD I cheered for Mike Wallace, in the grand scheme I would've preferred the Colts to be able to overcome that.
2014 IU Dorm Floor/Wing League
12 Team, PPR, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex
QB: Jay Cutler
RB (2): Montee Ball, CJ Spiller, Chris Johnson, Pierre Thomas, Khiry Robinson, Dexter McCluster
WR (3): Demaryius Thomas, Pierre Garcon, Kendall Wright, Deandre Hopkins, Brandin Cooks, Andrew Hawkins, Cody Latimer
TE: Zack Ertz
DEF: Streaming
K: Mike Nugent

#11 chrispaulwall

chrispaulwall

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

cmon. eagles all day regardless of FF.

anyone who says otherwise is a chump

#12 Specter

Specter

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

This should not even be a question. Fantasy is just stats. Your team is your highs and your lows. You can redraft year by year, dropping players who gave you woes. They're not who you grew up with, let alone something your heart's come to know.

#13 rhymenoceros

rhymenoceros

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:47 AM

Always favorite team. No question.

#14 smokin_that_greenellis

smokin_that_greenellis

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:49 AM

That's why it is good to be a Jets fan.

#1: They are terrible, so I don't expect much from them anyway.

#2: They don't have any fantasy players that are useful.

#3: Since they are awful, I will root for my fantasy players on the other team the Jets are playing. They won't compete anyway, so what difference does it make?

Haha I feel you man. Lifelong Raiders fan myself. We play each other this season so at least we have that to look forward to.

It's all fun and games until a fart becomes a shart.

12-Team Standard

QB:   Eli Manning

RB:   Shady McCoy

RB:   R. Hillman -- M. Ball, B. Cunningham, C. Hyde

WR:  R. Cobb

WR:  V. Jackson

WR:  J. Hunter -- C. Patterson, J. Matthews

TE:   H. Miller -- Z. Ertz

FLX: A. Ellington

#15 Fantasy Superpower

Fantasy Superpower

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:54 AM

I'll admit it I root for my fantasy teams before the Chargers. It's easier for me in So Cal because there is no team in LA or Orange County. I would never root against UCLA under any circumstance though

#16 Cowch

Cowch

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

I had this happen in week one. Bears won, AJ Green killed it for me in fantasy. That is my ideal situation. I try to draft Bears players year after year because it's fun to be even happier when they do well. Two things I hate much more than my player facing my team: when my team is doing awesome, but say they keep throwing and I have Forte; and when my opponents have bears and they are killing me.

#17 Backdoor Slider

Backdoor Slider

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

Well I say otherwise, and to me it's not close. I guess I think you're a chump if you put your heart over your wallet.

When my fantasy team wins, I can actually take pride in building that team. Knowing who to trade for, and hitting on my "sleepers." When my real team wins, I did nothing. They have no idea who I am.
What do I get if my real team wins? Yay, feel good. If my fantasy team wins, I also feel good, plus I get a cash reward.

Week 16 and I need a TD to win my championship, but that TD knocks the Lions out of the playoffs, I root for the TD.
**Poster Formerly Known as 2Balls

Keep up to 7 (Lose round per keeper):

Goldschmidt
JFernandez
Bryce
Kipnis
CGomez
--------------
TFrazier
Teheran

C.Davis
Pence
CSantana
CHamels
DMesoraco

#18 IT8

IT8

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

Well I say otherwise, and to me it's not close. I guess I think you're a chump if you put your heart over your wallet.

When my fantasy team wins, I can actually take pride in building that team. Knowing who to trade for, and hitting on my "sleepers." When my real team wins, I did nothing. They have no idea who I am.
What do I get if my real team wins? Yay, feel good. If my fantasy team wins, I also feel good, plus I get a cash reward.

Week 16 and I need a TD to win my championship, but that TD knocks the Lions out of the playoffs, I root for the TD.

Totally agree with this guy. I just don't relate anymore to people who get so emotional over a team that has zero to do with them.

#19 Finally Detroit Wins

Finally Detroit Wins

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

I couldn't have said it any better. Especially since 90% of my leagues are money leagues.

My fantasy team winning > Lions winning.

"experts" do not exist.

get sunday ticket, think for yourself.

#20 NYG1119

NYG1119

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

Favorite Team >>>>>>>>>>>>> Fantasy Team.

But in those scenarios when say I play the guy who has Cruz (my favorite player) I just hope Nicks, Randle, Myers, or anyone else gets the TD's...if he does oh well as long as they win. The worst is when a guy on your favorite team that is against you goes off only for your real team to win and your fanatsy team to lose...that's the wrost. As long as 1 wins every week I'm happy.

2014 Fantasy Football - The Plague '14 (4-3)
ESPN 16-Team PPR Redraft

Week 7 Lineup (Starters, FLEX, IR)

QB: Luck, Carr

RB: L. Bell, Ingram, Sproles, T. Mason

WR: Marshall, Wayne, Maclin, L. Murphy, D. Adams, Wheaton

TE: Reed, Kelce

D/ST: Ravens

K: McManus