Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

RB's vs. WR's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 bgibson8708

bgibson8708

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

I know league settings can impact this some, but in general do you prefer RB or WR as your flex assuming the players are relatively similar in value. I have a preference for running backs as the floor seems to be higher and usually just getting something from the flex is enough. But, with the NFL passing more, I wonder if the gap is closing.

I also have considered since even the best WRs have bad days (see AJ Green this week, Dez a couple weeks, megatron week 1) I wonder if a more volatile receiver is the better choice in case your starting wrs bust maybe your flex will boom. I guess the real question is do you like players with a higher standard deviation game to game or a lower one as your flex.
Rivers
Lacy, Ellington, Ingram, JBell, Gerhart
DThomas, Green, White, Mi.Floyd, Gordon, Ja.Jones
Kelce, Ertz

#2 Holben

Holben

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

I've always preferred RBs over WRs. I generally treat it as a 3rd RB slot while drafting so I go 4-5 deep in RBs to make sure I have enough stay healthy. I generally only hold 3 WRs, occasionally 4 during the season if someone starts to show up. It always seems everyone has WRs but nobody ever has RBs and the WW is almost a glut at RB. Draft as many as possible, 3 in flex, 1-2 backups on bench. ramble ramble ramble.
Wes Welker Poppin' Miley - 12 Team 1 PPR Auction (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex:RB/WR/TE, D, K)
QB-Nick Foles
RB-Knile Davis, Rashad Jennings, Ahmad Bradshaw, Jamaal Charles, Joique Bell
WR-Antonio Brown, Andrew Hawkins, Pierre Garcon, Roddy White, Josh Gordon, Allen Hurns
TE-Larry Donnell
D-Colts (Stream)
K-Dan Carpenter

Hakeem in like a Wrecking Ball - 12 Team 1 PPR Auction (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex:RB/WR/TE, D, K)
QB-Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler
RB-DeMarco Murray, Arian Foster, CJ Spiller, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ahmad Bradshaw
WR-Golden Tate, Vincent Jackson, Julian Edelman, Josh Gordon
TE-Greg Olsen, Larry Donnell
D-Bears (Stream)
K-Dan Carpenter

#3 PhilBinLaden

PhilBinLaden

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

You're not looking to get WR1 or RB1 value out of your flex in most leagues. In my league, we start 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, and 1 Flex RB/WR/TE. Your flex is basically your 6th or 7th round player you picked, either a RB3 or WR3 or TE2. I like to play the guy that can get me close to 10 points either because he's a touchdown hog, or he gets yardage, but alot of times you are playing the matchups to accomplish this. If you can get double digits out of your flex each week, then you did damn good. In my scenario, I have rotated between Antonio Brown, Lamar Miller, and Martellus Bennet (he's my back up TE as I have Jordan Cameron as the starter). So far, I left Brown on my bench the week he blew up for a monster game (cost me the win in my matchup), and this past week I used Lamar Miller because Brown was playing my WR2 spot with V Jax being benched (good call even though he played the game). Bennett would have given me a couple more points then what I got from Miller, but so far I am happy with how the flex position has played. 3 - 1 record so far, but we'll see, its still early and injuries are bound to happen (or in my case, some more).
10 Team Standard (Passing TDs 6 pts)
QB - Aaron Rodgers
RB - Eddie Lacy, Doug Martin, Terrence West
WR - Keenan Allen, DeSean Jackson, Golden Tate, Terrence Williams
TE - Zack Ertz, Dennis Pitta
DEF - Cardinals
K - Dan Bailey

Fantasy Football the only game that implores 1% skill and 99% luck, and yet we spend long hours reading news and updates around the NFL from multiple outlets (ignoring our girlfriends/wives/children) hoping to improve our luck with that 1% of skill.

#4 lolcopter

lolcopter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

i generally prefer RBs to the high variance of WRs, however this season in particular seems to be a crap shoot with RB depth and WR depth is outta control. i should have swooped on some better WR talent

12 team standard
QB -- Brian Hoyer
RB -- Andre Ellington, Storm Johnson
WR -- Julio Jones, Randall Cobb

TE -- Jared Cook
Flex -- Malcom Floyd
D/ST -- Lions
K -- Nick Novak
Bench --
Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, DeAndre Hopkins, Tre Mason, Matt Asiata, Larry Donnell, Matt Ryan

FIRE GOODELL

#5 INFRARED 6

INFRARED 6

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

RB > WR in my flex. As others have alluded to, WR is a feast or famine position, whereas RBs have a more consistent showing week in and week out due to the near-guaranteed touches they'll get. I tend to draft RB-RB-RB to allow me a 'better than most' RB in the flex. WR is a deep position, especially this year, and there are always a diamond in the rough that emerges during the year at that position.

#6 smeeze

smeeze

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

I don't know where you guys are finding RB3s that are putting up consistent numbers when most people's RB2s have been maddeningly inconsistent to this point.

12 Team / H2H / Standard Scoring / 3 Keepers / $$$ / (6-1)

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 R/W/T, 1 K, 1 DST

QB - Russell Wilson, Jay Cutler
RB - Lamar Miller, Frank Gore, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael,

Juwan Thompson, Tavaris Cadet, Benny Cunningham, Stevan Ridley

WR - Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones, Brian Quick, Justin Hunter
TE - Greg Olsen, Travis Kelce
K - Cody Parkey
DST - Streamers

#7 Holben

Holben

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

I don't know where you guys are finding RB3s that are putting up consistent numbers when most people's RB2s have been maddeningly inconsistent to this point.

This was a goofy year where a lot of RBs were hyped to be top tier and they didn't belong in those top tiers. If you were playing it safe and reaching for guys with actual upside and not just overhype, you probably are doing fine and were able to draft deep RBs who are playing well.

If you thought Spiller, Morris, Richardson, Ridley, Wilson, and a few other overhyped backs were going to lick top 10 this year, you were kidding yourself and you're probably struggling with RB1's/RB2's that aren't producing.
Wes Welker Poppin' Miley - 12 Team 1 PPR Auction (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex:RB/WR/TE, D, K)
QB-Nick Foles
RB-Knile Davis, Rashad Jennings, Ahmad Bradshaw, Jamaal Charles, Joique Bell
WR-Antonio Brown, Andrew Hawkins, Pierre Garcon, Roddy White, Josh Gordon, Allen Hurns
TE-Larry Donnell
D-Colts (Stream)
K-Dan Carpenter

Hakeem in like a Wrecking Ball - 12 Team 1 PPR Auction (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex:RB/WR/TE, D, K)
QB-Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler
RB-DeMarco Murray, Arian Foster, CJ Spiller, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ahmad Bradshaw
WR-Golden Tate, Vincent Jackson, Julian Edelman, Josh Gordon
TE-Greg Olsen, Larry Donnell
D-Bears (Stream)
K-Dan Carpenter

#8 Funkenstein

Funkenstein

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

#9 Funkenstein

Funkenstein

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

I tend to draft heavy at WR every year. I just think that if you can grab 3 of the top 25 wideouts (with two of them being top ten) and flexing one each week, you have a great chance to win a lot of games.

unless you got lucky late in the draft with a guy like powell...odds are you dont have 3 rbs that recieve all of the carries in their respective backfields. id much rather flex a top 25 wideout over an rb3/4 type like mcgahee, pierre thomas, benjarvus, etc.

Edited by Funkenstein, 01 October 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#10 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

It's always been RB flex for me... This year that changes dramatically. The RB depth is not there when starting 2 RBs. I'm flexing Orange Julius, Thompkins in a 14 team.