116 replies to this topic

#1 klownkollege

klownkollege

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

So I'm just sitting smokin, drinkin, wastin' time. Let my fantasy football thoughts free my mind....

This year in the draft, the consensus was, scoop up rbs early, wait on qb, its deep. Just want to discuss the difference an elite qb makes on a team. I see taking an elite qb in the earlier rounds as not a wasted pick regardless of depth. We're talking the Rodgers, Brees, Mannings. Its always nice to count on that 20+ game that will happen more often than not, with these qbs less likely to get hurt than a RB.

Who all believes in the importance of scooping up one of these QBs early, instead of taking a risk on those top notch rbs who take more hits. Can't tell you how many times I see league champs with an elite qb, decent wrs(depth at the majority of the rounds?), and mediocre RBs dominate leagues.

I'm all in with getting one of the elites if they're there, and the rest in that round have more question marks.

Just looking for input!

#2 jstep13

jstep13

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

Here are the QB's for the first place teams through week 4 in my multiple standard 10 team leagues: Romo, Stafford, Rodgers, Wilson, Cam, Peyton, Brady, Ryan and Luck. So no, I would say it is not crucial to have an elite QB, it really depends on league settings (6 pt versus 4 pt and how much INT's are worth) and your overall body of work of drafting.

Edited by jstep13, 04 October 2013 - 07:48 PM.

• lolcopter and Backdoor Slider like this

#3 fantasymad

fantasymad

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,972 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Count me in on this. The top four teams in my leage right now have Brees (me), P Manning, Rodgers, and Brady as there QBs. Coinicidence? Last year the 4 playoff teams had Brees, Peyton, RG3, and Brady. The Rodgers led team barely missed the playoffs.

I look at it this way, there are usually 13 or 14 weeks in a fantasy football regular season. When you have an elite QB like the one's mentioned you are almost guaranteed 4-5 wins based on monster passing games these guys produce from time to time. Just saying.

#4 kgizzle

kgizzle

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,842 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

Starting to slowly come around to the idea of this. Someone could have in theory drafted Forte 12th and Peyton 13th and already killed the draft. League is changing.

#5 QCJLo

QCJLo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

My standard 10 Team league is:
1st) Stafford
2nd) Peyton
3rd) Rodgers
4th) Romo
5th) Ryan

Oddly enough, those were 5 of my top 6 QB's when I ranked them going into the draft (not in that order, and with Brees rounding out that list). A top tier QB definitely seems to play a key role in the standings to this point.

Edited by QCJLo, 04 October 2013 - 07:53 PM.

10 Team H2H League

QB: Tom Brady
WR: Jordy Nelson, Andre Johnson, Jeremy Maclin, Emmanuel Sanders, Anquan Boldin & Josh Gordon
RB: LeSean McCoy, Andre Ellington, Reggie Bush, MJD & Darren Sproles
TE: Zach Ertz
K: Robbie Gould
Def: Arizona

#6 Backdoor Slider

Backdoor Slider

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

I'm undefeated right now with Cam, who I took in the 4th. Why? McCoy & Graham were my 1st 2 picks. Depends on the draft. Guy with Rodgers is 1-3. Why? He grabbed DMartin in 1st. Guy with PManning is 2-2. His backfield is TRich & CJ2K.
It's not important to have an elite QB. It's important to have a good draft.
  • cubbie5150, Guile, jstep13 and 1 other like this
**Poster Formerly Known as 2Balls

Keep up to 7 (Lose round per keeper):

Goldschmidt
JFernandez
Bryce
Kipnis
CGomez
--------------
TFrazier
Teheran

C.Davis
Pence
CSantana
CHamels
DMesoraco

#7 klownkollege

klownkollege

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

true that. i know there will be different points of view. as mentioned of romo, stafford, newton, ryan, brady, and luck. this is my 4th year. i joined 4 leagues last year (hungry for a championship). the only leagues i was in the money were the ones where i drafted brady in the first round. the other leagues, went rb heavy, even losing my top 3 draft picks at one point to injury!

nothing like taking an early lock for 20+ points a game, no need to really stash a backup on the bench(only one filler for that bye), and riding them all through the year, pending injury which is less likely to a qb to a top rb

#8 fantasymad

fantasymad

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,972 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

I'm undefeated right now with Cam, who I took in the 4th. Why? McCoy & Graham were my 1st 2 picks. Depends on the draft. Guy with Rodgers is 1-3. Why? He grabbed DMartin in 1st. Guy with PManning is 2-2. His backfield is TRich & CJ2K.
It's not important to have an elite QB. It's important to have a good draft.

I definitely agree with this. But I will also say if you draft say a Brees and Peyton early and draft well the rest of the way, you are setting yourself up to have a freaking dominant team. Almost a certain lock for a playoff berth.

Edited by fantasymad, 04 October 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#9 klownkollege

klownkollege

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

@backdoor. sounds like they hit the current busts(current as in could always make a turn around). it shows how much of a crapshoot rbs can be. can you imagine if they wouldn't have chosen one of them and hit the charles, fosters, fortes etc instead? look out

#10 alleyce

alleyce

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Starting to slowly come around to the idea of this. Someone could have in theory drafted Forte 12th and Peyton 13th and already killed the draft. League is changing.

That is just a matter of someone hitting well on their picks. You could make that same case for going RB RB RB saying someone could of snagged McCoy, Forte, Bush and they would be sitting pretty right now as well. Or could of drafted a top QB in Brady early and probably wouldnt be doing so great right now.

#11 ForteDaysandForteNights

ForteDaysandForteNights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

I think it's entirely variable. I think the 12-25 class of running backs were a bit overrated coming into the season but I think it's down to individual team.

In my league the top 4 teams have

1) Romo
2) Brees (These two first equal at 4-0)
3) Matt Ryan
4) Wilson (Me)

#12 Backdoor Slider

Backdoor Slider

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Let's bump this thread when the teams with PManning, Rodgers, & Brady all lose in the playoffs because they play outdoors in blizzards & teams led by dome QBs are winning championships.

Goldschmidt
JFernandez
Bryce
Kipnis
CGomez
--------------
TFrazier
Teheran

C.Davis
Pence
CSantana
CHamels
DMesoraco

#13 klownkollege

klownkollege

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

now..straying just a tad but staying on topic with qbs. anyone prefer the passing qb to the running qb? i do. reasons, less variation in fantasy numbers produced(consistency), less prone to injury. or are you one that likes the high rush of trying to get the rushing scores/yards and willing to risk less productive games if they don't come?

#14 Backdoor Slider

Backdoor Slider

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

now..straying just a tad but staying on topic with qbs. anyone prefer the passing qb to the running qb? i do. reasons, less variation in fantasy numbers produced(consistency), less prone to injury. or are you one that likes the high rush of trying to get the rushing scores/yards and willing to risk less productive games if they don't come?

Every time Cam runs for 40 yards, that equals an extra 100 passing. One rushing TD is worth almost 2 passing (4 pts/per). I love the running QBs.

Goldschmidt
JFernandez
Bryce
Kipnis
CGomez
--------------
TFrazier
Teheran

C.Davis
Pence
CSantana
CHamels
DMesoraco

#15 jbshaw

jbshaw

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

My 8 team league's starting QBs, in standings order.

1) Peyton Manning
2) Michael Vick
3) Cam Newton
4) Eli Manning
5) Russell Wilson
6) Drew Brees
7) Romo/Brady
8)Rodgers

Not sure an elite QB means anything if the rest of the roster is good.
Winterfell Snow Kings
12-team Dynasty-IDP League, Points Per Completion, Carry, Reception: 2 WR, 2 RB, W/R Flex, 2 DL, 3 LB, 2 CB, 2 S
Assumed starters in Red
QB: Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco
WR: Demaryius Thomas, Michael Floyd, Terrance Williams, James Jones, Aaron Dobson, Kenny Stills
RB: Montee Ball, Demarco Murray, Zac Stacy, Lance Dunbar, Knile Davis, Terrance West, Lamar Miller
TE: Jordan Cameron, Heath Miler
K; Stephen Gostkowski
DL: Chandler Jones, Robert Quinn, Ezekial Ansah
LB: Jerod Mayo, Karlos Dansby, Derrick Johnson, Daryl Smith, Jerrell Freeman
CB: DeAngelo Hall, Cortland Finnegan, Corey Graham
S: Barry Church, Morgan Burnett, Johnathan Cyprien

#16 klownkollege

klownkollege

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

looks like :

brees is in a dome weeks 14 and 15, he'll play in carolina 16, should still be in the money
peyton has it a little tougher in 14 and 15 in denver both weeks, then goes to houston, just have to have faith in the elite status
rodgers: atlanta and @ dallas 14 and 15, see brees, $$

so, i'd still bet on them

#17 screaming_vultures

screaming_vultures

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

In my league 4 pts per TD, -2 for INT, -2 for Pick Six

a) Aaron Rodgers Team - 0-4
b. Drew Brees Team - 2-2
c) Peyton Manning Team - 1-3
d) Tony Romo Team - 4-0

Edited by screaming_vultures, 04 October 2013 - 08:09 PM.

Football - Yahoo - 10 Team Keeper(Keep 3) - H2H - PPR + 6pt Passing TDs (QB/WR/TE/RB/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/DEF/K)

QB: Nick Foles, RG3
WR: Vincent Jackson, Michael Crabtree, Marques Colston, Terrance Williams, Josh Gordon
RB: Giovani Bernard, Shane Vereen, Toby Gerhart, CJ Spiller, Pierre Thomas
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski
K: Mason Crosby
DEF: Streaming

Baseball - Yahoo - 12 team - H2H - 11 Cat(R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG/OPS/W/SV/K/ERA/WHIP)

Hitters
C Joe Mauer 1B Freddie Freeman 2B Daniel Murphy 3B Edwin Encarnacion SS Brock Holt IF Adam LaRouche OF1 Denard Span OF2 Melky Cabrera OF3 Nick Markakis OF4 Kole Calhoun Util Anthony Rendon
DL Michael Cuddyer, Everth Cabrera
Pitchers
SP: Félix Hernández, Zack Greinke, Johnny Cueto, Tanner Roark, Michael Pineda, James Paxton, Mike Fiers DL: Michael Wacha, Jacob DeGrom RP: Trevor Rosenthal, Greg Holland, Jonathan Papelbon, Joaquin Benoit, Jenry Mejia

#18 fantasymad

fantasymad

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,972 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

I draft Brees every year, for me he is one player you can never go wrong on. He plays in a dome, he puts up monster numbers, and has tons of weapons.

I am going for the 3peat this year with Brees as my QB in my main league. The guy is a freaking animal.

Weeks 14-16 in 2012 380 ypg and 11 TDs
Weeks 14-16 in 2011 370 ypg and 14 TDs

#19 jtaylor39

jtaylor39

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

So I'm just sitting smokin, drinkin, wastin' time. Let my fantasy football thoughts free my mind....

This year in the draft, the consensus was, scoop up rbs early, wait on qb, its deep. Just want to discuss the difference an elite qb makes on a team. I see taking an elite qb in the earlier rounds as not a wasted pick regardless of depth. We're talking the Rodgers, Brees, Mannings. Its always nice to count on that 20+ game that will happen more often than not, with these qbs less likely to get hurt than a RB.

Who all believes in the importance of scooping up one of these QBs early, instead of taking a risk on those top notch rbs who take more hits. Can't tell you how many times I see league champs with an elite qb, decent wrs(depth at the majority of the rounds?), and mediocre RBs dominate leagues.

I'm all in with getting one of the elites if they're there, and the rest in that round have more question marks.

Just looking for input!

I have Andrew Luck my 7th round pick. Happy with my team so far, 3-1 and very even scoring each week. I have the second highest scoring team. I like going late with qb and will continue to stick with this strategy. We count 4pts for passing tds.
NABL 12 team ppr $$ League
2011 Champion
2012 3rd Place
2013 2nd Place

FFAH League
2009, 2010, 2011 Champion

I cash checks.

#20 klownkollege

klownkollege

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip