93 replies to this topic

#1 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

There were separate threads last year for each position, and it helped show depth, undervalued guys, sleepers/bust, and I thought it was really helpful to read through and decide positions to target and wait on.

Anyways, C can be the 1st one. Commonly referred to as very deep last year with a lot of people waiting on it, C ended up being the most disappointing position. A lot of guys busted or underperformed, and left a lot of owners stuck in a difficult C situation. Sal Perez disappointed, Miguel Montero was terrible, Wieters struggled, Flowers (the common sleeper pick) was awful, Avila and Arencibia struggled, Grandal got hurt, Ruiz couldn't follow up his 2011 season, and overall: catcher was a mess. While there were some bright spots, it ended up being a thin position.

I figured it's never too early to start with breaking down the position :lol: Here's a few sleepers and busts to me:

Sleepers:

Josmil Pinto - Finished up a second straight strong year in the minors and also looked good in his brief time in the bigs, Pinto seems like he could be very consistent. Is a great contact hitter with power, he could be a solid value pick since he seems likely to avoid hype being in Minnesota and will end up being a late round pick. His numbers make him look like he could be similar to a Jonathan Lucroy type, which is very useful in fantasy.

Wilson Ramos - No Suzuki for next year likely means no timeshare, and that could mean good value for him. He's been useful when desperate for a C the last few years while sharing time, and now that he may finally get his chance to play everyday, he could be ready to breakout. If you are like me and don't like to take someone like Posey or Molina early, Ramos may be a trendy pick for me in drafts next spring.

Busts:

Wilin Rosario - I obviously like Rosario a lot, and he helped me win 2 of my leagues last year, but the reality is that he doesn't have great plate discipline and plays bad defense. While it was better last year, it still wasn't great. His power is obviously great and he has a great shot to lead all C in homers, but it's his draft position that will likely turn me away from him. I'm guessing he'll go early this year, and I just won't be willing to pay the price for him. I liked him a lot last year when he was going late, but his value will get a big boost leading up to this year. He'll likely end up being the 2nd or 3rd catcher taken, behind Posey and maybe Molina.

Joe Mauer - I never really understood all the hype he's gotten in his career. He had one strong year in 2009 with 28 homers that has proven to be a fluke, yet people continue to draft him as a top catcher. He's a very safe option with a high average, but his other stats just aren't great. Don't really see why he gets taken so early. If I wanted to take a catcher early, I'd much rather take Molina over him, who is very similar except he gets more HR/RBI than Mauer. Not to mention, Mauer ended this year with concussion issues, and Minnesota has a bad history with them (Morneau).

What are your thoughts on C for 2014? Hope it's not too early for this.
  • brockpapersizer and mpbaseball22 like this
Bring back Ray!

#2 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Posey, Yadi, Lucroy, Santana, Rosario. Should be the top 5 options.

Wilson Ramos could be a nice sleeper as you said

Jason Casto loses a few point in BA, But he will continue progress with the Power Numbers.

Perez takes a step forward after his first full season under his belt.

Yan Gomes: Should get more playing time, had the same ISO as Santana. Though his BA is going to fall off from .290. Expecting more the .250-.260 range

McCain, need to see where he signs. How much Playing time will Gattis get?

#3 Mongeese

Mongeese

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

V-Mart won't start off with C eligibility, but I've heard talk of him catching some next year to let Miggy DH more.

#4 dannyusf

dannyusf

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

Lucroy put up a pretty nice year stepping in for most of Brauns RBIs

2013 Fantasy Baseball Champion Friends and Family League
Go Rays ! Go Orioles! Go Alex Cobb!
12 Team H2H Standard 5 Keepers
C: Posey 1B: Goldy!!! 2B: Pedroia 3B: Beltre SS: Boegarts OF: Marte, Jennings, Coco UTL: Napoli Bench: Bogaerts, Taveras, Willingham SP: Darvish, Shields, Price, Cobb, Wacha, Bailey, Peralta RP: Perkins, Britton, Mejia, Doolittle

2014 Fantasy Football 12 team .25 PPR and Return $$$
QB : Kaep WR1: A. Brown WR2 : R. Cobb WR3 : Cordarelle R B1 : McCo y RB2: B. Oliver TE: Orange Julius F lex: Andre Williams K : Str eam Def : Stream Bench : JOSH GO RDON , Boldin, F. Jackson, Andre Holmes

2014 Fantasy Football 10 team standard $$$
QB : Ka ep WR1 : A J WR2 : Ga rcon RB1 : Fo rte RB2 : CJ?K TE : Orang e Julius Flex: Percy K : Folk Def: KC
Bench: Edeleman, Maclin, Pierce, Pierre Thomas, Fred Jackson, Sproles, JOSH GORDON

#5 mpbaseball22

mpbaseball22

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

IMO top 2 should be Posey then Rosario, but if i was drafting I'd probably target Lucroy because I think he would bring the best value
16 Team Dynasty with Milb rosters (40 man mlb, 35 man milb) 15 start limit, points league
McCatchin Trout
C: Posey
1B: Lind
2B: Kipnis
3B: Lamb
SS: Asdrubal
IF: Hardy
OF: McCutchen, Trout, Beltran, Harrison
U: Gattis, Alvarez, Moustakas
Bench: Ruf, Escobar, Sizemore, Grossman, Dietrich

SP: Zimmerman, Kazmir, Cashner, deGrom, Holland, Simon, Kennedy, Duffy, Morton, Hutchison, McCarthy, Carrasco, Volquez, Miguel Gonzalez, Feldman, Wada, Capuano
RP: Holland, Rosenthal, Melancon, Doolittle, Ramos, Morris, Cecil, Giles
Prospects (35 man rosters):
Bundy, Dahl, Schwarber, Carson Sands, Gillaspie, Medeiros, Luis Ortiz, Miguel A Gonzalez, Cameron Varga, Lorenzen, Lugo, Franmil Reyes, Chase Vallot, Adalberto Mejia, Mella, Heredia, Mike Montgomery, Joan Gregorio, Wendle, Jefry Rodriguez, Vaugh Bryan, Palka, Kevin Franklin, Juan De Leon, Willy Adames, Slegers, Hockin, Max George, Hentges, DeCarr, Tyler DeLoach, Josh Prevost, Amaurys Minier, Yu-Cheng Chang

#6 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,595 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

Rosario's plate discipline is scary bad. Guys with that kind of plate discipline have the potential to have huge bust years. I wouldn't touch him at his ADP. Lucroy or Santana will go a little later than Rosario and are much safer IMO because of their plate discipline.

Santana is a great option because he's probably only going to be playing C a few days a week, so he won't be as beat up over the course of the year. He's going to play every day at C, 1B, or DH, so he'll have the most ABs. And he walks the most of any catcher by far, so the runs will be high. Also he's a safe bet for 20-25 homers and there's no reason he can't hit .280. Santana can really hit and he should only get better now that he can focus less on catching. Also like Lucroy a lot because he keeps the Ks down, which gives a player more margin for error. McCann is another player to monitor to see if he signs with an AL team, as obviously that could lead to more ABs at DH.

Catcher is a position where there is wide variance between year to year offensive performance because of the defensive demands and how beat up these guys get. A lot of the "sleeper" options can bust because you never know what physical issues a player may have to deal with. We've seen guys like Avila, Montero, Grandal, etc look like potentially reliable options only to be derailed by inconsistency and physical problems. That's why Napoli and V-Mart were great options this year, not having to deal with the demands of catching. Mauer and Santana are two guys who could be in similar spots next year because they won't be behind the plate a ton.

Edited by mjk356, 05 October 2013 - 02:03 PM.

• Tchaikovsky08 likes this

#7 Philabuster5

Philabuster5

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

Great thread!
Posey/Santana clear 1+2 for me.
I like McCann if he signs in AL as mjk356 mentions.
Rosario's BB/K rate is concerning. However, there's mention of him playing some 1B next year to keep his bat in the lineup. Counting stats should continue to be there I'd think.
I'm hoping d'Arnaud finds his groove in 2014...should be someone you can scoop extremely late.
Catcher position is actually quite deep.
You guys all make some great points. Will be fun to do this with you. (kinda new here ha)

Edited by The Harsh, 05 October 2013 - 03:53 PM.
Removed self-advertisement (prohibited, as per the CoC).

www.fantasyassembly.com

#8 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,476 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

Catcher is a fairly deep position now. I know I'll be targeting Pinto late in the draft.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#9 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

He's a free agent and perhaps it's largely dependent on where he signs but Dioner Navarro had a very nice year.

#10 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

Top Tier: Posey and Rosario are the cream of the crop but Yadier Molino is the Energizer Bunny and is still in the elite ranks. Less homers but excellent average. Lucroy had a bad first month of the season then clicked back into super good hitter mode so should be good to go next season. All 4 of them also hit for good average too.

Second Tier: If Mauer goes to 1B next season then perhaps his energy level stays up more and he might find a little bit more power. Sal Perez had a up and down season but finished really strong. Wilson Ramos finally gets to play full time barring getting kidnapped in the off season again. Juan Castro doing it on a lousy team. Santana has the power but he dipped a little this season.

Third Tier: Weiters, Piersinski, Salty, McCann (depends where he ends up) and, if he gets playing time, Gattis.

Lottery Tickets: Pinto with hopes Mauer moves to 1B. Yan Gomes maybe.

Streamer: Russell Martin. If in a small enough league that he is in the FA pool he is great to pick up during one of his insane "streaks."

Bounce Back? Miguel Montero? I have no idea what happened to Mr Dependable this season. Might be worth a late round pick to test drive him for a month.

#11 drisser

drisser

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

I really like Lucroy, Gattis, and Castro for next year.

#12 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

Won't be touching Salty in any 1 Catcher leagues. In 2 catcher leagues Id rather take a flier on Pinto, D'arnaud, Yan Gomes than Salty. Guy is still K'ng around 30% Coming off a .372 BABIP season. He was only good before because he could get ya 20 bombs. Only 14 last year? Yes, he is a Free agent, but if he isn't going to re-sign with the Red Sox. His situation will be worse.

As for Miguel Montero? His Contact skills are faltering. StrwSwing, K rate are all going up. ISO is going down even though he had the same HR/FB rate. He was about 30 points below his career BABIP. He will have a little bounce back in batting average. The Catching might be starting to take a bit of a toll on him. I'm not confident he plays 140 games at this stage.

#13 umphrey

umphrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'm all in on d'Arnaud next year. I'll scoop him at the end of drafts as my 2nd C and hope for a break out.

#14 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:35 PM

Won't be touching Salty in any 1 Catcher leagues. In 2 catcher leagues Id rather take a flier on Pinto, D'arnaud, Yan Gomes than Salty. Guy is still K'ng around 30% Coming off a .372 BABIP season. He was only good before because he could get ya 20 bombs. Only 14 last year? Yes, he is a Free agent, but if he isn't going to re-sign with the Red Sox. His situation will be worse.

The Sox are going to go after him but they don't really want to offer more than a 2 year deal since they have a couple of good catching prospects in the minors.

#15 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

What about Stephen Vogt next year? I'm not just saying this because of his game-winning hit last night lol. The guy was always a good hitter in the minors. Maybe as a second C for those in two-catcher leagues.

#16 MNapoli

MNapoli

Triple-A

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

What about Stephen Vogt next year? I'm not just saying this because of his game-winning hit last night lol. The guy was always a good hitter in the minors. Maybe as a second C for those in two-catcher leagues.

Not while he's on a team with Jaso and Norris.

#17 jv35

jv35

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Just a reminder that VMart and Napoli will be losing their C eligibility.

I can't hype Santana enough, especially in OBP leagues. He gets everyday AB between C, 1B, and DH.

I like Ramos this coming season since he should be getting the majority of the work. I also think Miguel Montero should provide nice value in 2014.

In a deeper league, I'd keep an eye on Alex Avila. He had a nice August and September. The problem with him is that he gets the stuffing beat out of him a lot. The bumps and bruises definitely affect his offensive ability, but if he can carry over his success from the end of this year into next, I think he has 12HR 55RBI upside.
Something tells me I could easily beat those trained professionals. - Bender

#18 BigPapi44

BigPapi44

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

I'd draft Pinto as a sleeper, but not on a gamble that his small sample is sustainable.

#19 umphrey

umphrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Buster Posey
Carlos Santana
Jonathon Lucroy
Yadier Molina
Joe Mauer
Wilin Rosario
Wilson Ramos
Jason Castro
Matt Weiters
Brian McCann
Salvador Perez
Jarrod Saltamacchia
Evan Gattis
Russell Martin
Miguel Montero
Travis d'Arnaud
A.J. Pierzynski
Yan Gomes
Dioner Navarro
Carlos Ruiz

2-7 is pretty close through Ramos. Castro is alright I guess. Then it gets really bad.

Edited by umphrey, 06 October 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#20 damana

damana

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

What do you guys think of Wellington Castillo in a 2 catcher league? Coming off knee surgery but they say he should be ready for spring training. Probably has the job all to himself with Navarro set to hit free agency and hit for power in the minors. I know I'm going to be targetting him late in an AL east/NL only, 2 catcher league where I have Ramos as a cheap keeper.
4X4 AL East and NL only Keeper auction league (Keep 10)

C. Davis ($25)(3 years)
D. Murphy ($6)(3 years)
B. Harper ($17)(2 years)
E. Cabrera ($4)(3 years)
X. Boegaerts (3rd base eligible only)($6)(4 years)
A. Jones ($27)(1 year)
K. Jensen ($8)(3 years)
M. Minor ($7)(3 years)
A. Cobb ($9)(3 years)
A. Cashner ($6)(3 years)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users