31 replies to this topic

#1 RADickey4Prez

RADickey4Prez

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

Just dawned on me. Why is there always 8 or 9 games going on at the same time (1 PM) and then only 1 random crappy game on MNF?

Why do so many games go on at the same time? Seems hard to watch and evaluate your players with 9 games going on at once.

No Friday games? No MNF double headers?

Am I the only one who can't watch all the 1PM games simultaneously? And no I don't mean Sunday Ticket flicking channels.

#2 instant290

instant290

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

Well Friday night is a no-no because that is generally the night when High School plays...it is kinda a unwritten law that the NFL doesn't tamper with their "minor leagues" viewership.

Monday night double headers would entail that football would be going until like 2 AM on the East coast, which is a bad idea for obvious reasons.

Also this has a lot to do with broadcasting contracts and restrictions with the networks. Early afternoon football is a revenue draw for the major networks like CBS and Fox, a huge portion of the country is off work, and there isn't any other competing television in this time slot. NFL has and always will rule Sunday networking.

#3 nonstopfan

nonstopfan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Evaluate players? Are you a scout? Oh no, you are just a fantasy football enthusiast. Seriously, get yourself a NFL game pass online or through your cable/satellite provider, grab some beer, invite some family/friends and enjoy. They do not need to tinker with Sundays at all. Sunday and Monday Nights, I'm all for just one game. Having an 11pm start to a game is not cool for most people. Maybe they can move a Sunday or a Monday Night game to 6 or 7pm but in my opinion, that just wouldn't yield the biggest audiences that the network wants. You should be lucky that there is a Sunday Night game. Many traditionalist didn't want to disrupt the Monday Night magic. All in all, the NFL wouldn't mind putting a game in every day of the week as it leads to huge revenue, but the NFL doesn't want to oversaturate their product. I may be wrong, but I think you are the first poster that I've seen complain about day games on Sunday.

Edited by nonstopfan, 09 October 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#4 RADickey4Prez

RADickey4Prez

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

View Postinstant290, on 09 October 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

Well Friday night is a no-no because that is generally the night when High School plays...it is kinda a unwritten law that the NFL doesn't tamper with their "minor leagues" viewership.

Monday night double headers would entail that football would be going until like 2 AM on the East coast, which is a bad idea for obvious reasons.

Also this has a lot to do with broadcasting contracts and restrictions with the networks. Early afternoon football is a revenue draw for the major networks like CBS and Fox, a huge portion of the country is off work, and there isn't any other competing television in this time slot. NFL has and always will rule Sunday networking.

Figured as much about Friday. That's why I didn't say Saturday since that's college football day. Guess there isn't much they can do..

#5 RADickey4Prez

RADickey4Prez

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

View Postnonstopfan, on 09 October 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

Evaluate players? Are you a scout? Oh no, you are just a fantasy football enthusiast. Seriously, get yourself a NFL game pass online or through your cable/satellite provider, grab some beer, invite some family/friends and enjoy. They do not need to tinker with Sundays at all. Sunday and Monday Nights, I'm all for just one game. Having an 11pm start to a game is not cool for most people. Maybe they can move a Sunday or a Monday Night game to 6 or 7pm but in my opinion, that just wouldn't yield the biggest audiences that the network wants. You should be lucky that there is a Sunday Night game. Many traditionalist didn't want to disrupt the Monday Night magic. All in all, the NFL wouldn't mind putting a game in every day of the week as it leads to huge revenue, but the NFL doesn't want to oversaturate their product. I may be wrong, but I think you are the first poster that I've seen complain about day games on Sunday.

I guess you're right. They really couldn't put games on all week. The Thursday game is always sloppy as hell.

#6 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

If I remember right there is actually a law that says the NFL can't play on Fridays.  Yes, before Steroids Congress got involved with that too.  I can't remember if it's an actual written law but if I remember right it is.

There are obvious reasons why they play the majority of the games on Sunday, but one that I think is overlooked is the alure of Sunday.  Sunday during football season is one jam packed day dedicated just to football.   If you start spreading out the games over the course of the week then it becomes less of an allure.  Besides, do you want more short weeks and more games playing out like the Thursday games?  They are the worst.

You can't do double headers on Monday b/c what time would the first game start?  You would have to maybe do 630 and 10.  Neither of those times work out well for viewership.  6:30 on the East Coast is nice since most people will be getting home from work right around then(maybe a little before of after), but the Central Time zone would be just getting out and the West Coast would still be at work for at least another 2 1/2 hours(assumign they leave at 5).  You basically lose 2/3 of the country.  Then the game starts at 10 and isn't ending until 1:30-2 and you can get bet your going to lose most of the East Coast and probably most of the Central Time Zone.  Again 2/3 of the country will miss the last quarter to a half of the game.  

Just makes no sense for anyone involved.

Edited by GottaGetTheWin, 09 October 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#7 hines

hines

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

I am absolutely fine with 1 sunday and 1 monday night game. Thursday seems so low quality I wouldn't mind if they dropped it. my main gripe is the poor balance between the noon and 3 PM kicks. last week they had like 8 or 9 games on at noon and 2 at 3. Is is too hard to simply make it 6/5 or 7/4?

#8 RADickey4Prez

RADickey4Prez

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

View Posthines, on 09 October 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

I am absolutely fine with 1 sunday and 1 monday night game. Thursday seems so low quality I wouldn't mind if they dropped it. my main gripe is the poor balance between the noon and 3 PM kicks. last week they had like 8 or 9 games on at noon and 2 at 3. Is is too hard to simply make it 6/5 or 7/4?

Exactly.

#9 instant290

instant290

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

Pretty sure it has to do with who is on BYE from here on out pertaining to East and West coast teams and travel time...

Like this week its 8 games in the first slot, and 4 afterwards.

Edited by instant290, 09 October 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#10 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

If games were spread out throughout the week, how would teams get a week rest between games?

#11 RADickey4Prez

RADickey4Prez

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

View PostRJRJRJ, on 09 October 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

If games were spread out throughout the week, how would teams get a week rest between games?

I never suggested that.

#12 Anthony1

Anthony1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

I've always thought it would be cool if they had one Saturday Night game.
Playoff League Roster
QB - Russell Wilson
RB - Legarrette Blount
RB - Montee Ball
WR - Demaryius Thomas
WR - Eric Decker
WR - Percy Harvin
TE - need to pick up a FA
K - Matt Prater
DEF - Carolina Panthers

Bench

RB - Trent Richardson
WR - Griff Whalen
K - Nick Novak

#13 kingjames02392

kingjames02392

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

Please no Friday games...ever
10 Team .5 PPR
QB- RG3
WR- Calvin/Dez/Amendola
RB- Reggie Bush/DMC
TE- Gronk
Flex- Moreno/Cameron
BN- DeAngelo, Alshon Jeffery, Helu, Kendall Wright, Ball, Michael Floyd

#14 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostRADickey4Prez, on 09 October 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

View PostRJRJRJ, on 09 October 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

I never suggested that.

In understand, but the point is that the more teams there are that do not play on the same day (Sunday), the more difficult it will be to create matchups that will give everybody a week's rest.

#15 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,109 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

My complaint is that there are 8 games or so in the early Sunday slot and only 3 or 4 in the late Sunday slot.  A little more even distribution of that would be nice.  Do east coast games always have to start at 1 unless it's the prime time game?

#16 fyasko

fyasko

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

why not have more games at 1pm PST?  it sucks opening the bar on the west coast and all the games start at 1030am.  it sucks being on the west coast on football sunday...  9 early games and 2 1pm games?  why the disparity?

Edited by fyasko, 09 October 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#17 AshesAndLaughter

AshesAndLaughter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

"I am all about player safety and providing a quality product. Let's roll these players out there with three days between games in one of the USA's most physically demanding and brutal games giving the players little time to recover and the coaches little time to prepare. I approve this message."

-Roger Goodell

#18 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

View Postfyasko, on 09 October 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

why not have more games at 1pm PST?  it sucks opening the bar on the west coast and all the games start at 1030am.  it sucks being on the west coast on football sunday...  9 early games and 2 1pm games?  why the disparity?

This is 100% a guess, but I think there could be two reasons for all the 1 O Clock games.  

First, gives time for the fans to get home and be able to watch the Sunday night game which gets better ratings for NBC which allows the NFL to charge higher fees next time the contract runs out.

Second,  could be because of the disparity in teams being on the East Coast to West Coast.  Why it would matter if East Coast teams started at 1:00 I'm not sure, but again I would think it has to do with ratings.  I'm sure the NFL has done more than enough research into these types of things.

http://www.sportmapw...otball/usa/nfl/

Edited by GottaGetTheWin, 09 October 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#19 nonstopfan

nonstopfan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

Wow..I didn't realize that so many people on the West Coast watch football. I thought that all you guys do on the West Coast is go to the beach, surf, ride bikes , gang bang and watch Mountain Men. Guess I was wrong.

#20 JimmyGs

JimmyGs
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:44 PM

View Postnonstopfan, on 09 October 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

Wow..I didn't realize that so many people on the West Coast watch football. I thought that all you guys do on the West Coast is go to the beach, surf, ride bikes , gang bang and watch Mountain Men. Guess I was wrong.
I'm sorry but this post is just WRONG.............................. you forgot to include skateboarding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users