Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

* * * * * 1 votes

Xander Bogaerts 2014 OutlookRed Sox starting SS?

• Please log in to reply
621 replies to this topic

#1 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

Xander didn't get much of shot after his late August callup.  What's his outlook for 2014?

I guess that all depends on what happens to Stephen Drew this offseason.  If the Sox resign Drew I would think Bogaerts will head back to AAA for more seasoning.

His 2013 numbers accumulated across AA, AAA and MLB were
134 games
565 plate appearances
488 ABs
143 hits
25  2B
6    3B
16  HR
77  Runs
72  RBI
.293 average
.447 slugging

#2 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

I don't think they'll re-sign Drew. He was always considered a placeholder until Bogaerts was deemed ready. Looks ready to me.
I remember one evening in the pouring rain
And in my heart there was an aching pain
Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well

#3 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

Bogaerts more than likely gets the starting gig. Everything looked fine to me in his brief MLB stint. Few moments where his inexperience got him, but kid's a fast learner. All systems go.

#4 MySoxrRed

MySoxrRed

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Fantasy Sports, NY Giants, Boston Red Sox, Psychology

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

Bogs will be the man. Theres nothing left for him to do in AAA.
10 Team: 7X7 H2H Daily Auction League
C: Montero
1st: Goldie
2nd: Dozier
3rd: Donaldson
SS: Dee Gordon
IF: J. Abreu
OF: Dickerson, Braun, Melky, Brantley
Util: McGehee, Hunter
Bench: Harper
SP: Sale, Lester, Kluber, Gray, Teheran, H. Alvarez
RP: Holland, W. Smith, Janssen, J. Smith, Dunn, Walden
DL:Siegrist, Encarnacion, Cole

#5 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

The Red Sox will have some interesting decisions. I'm not sure they want to pay Drew what he'll want coming off a great season and considering his injury history, but one thing is for sure that Bogaerts will be starting next year. It is a question of where. The Red Sox do have some options. They could let Napoli walk and push Middlebrooks to 1st, re-sign Drew and then move Bogaerts to 3rd. That's probably plan B, plan A is likely use Bogaerts at SS, leave Middlebrooks at 3b (and replace him with Garin Cecchini if WM flops again), and either re-sign Napoli, use a stupid Carp/Nava platoon, or make some sort of splash at 1b.

Back to Bogaerts though, he's a star in the making. He really battled in his limited playoff at bats, drawing 2 big walks in the Rays series and working the count to 3-2 before eventually popping up in game 1 vs Detroit. I say that was big because as a 20 year old you would normally be thinking that this is your time to shine, be a hero and tie the game. Instead he continued to show great poise and patience. His hitting eye is going to lead to pitchers having to pitch to him, and as his power grows and grows he will crush those mistakes. I'm not sure what to make of him for next year, but this is certainly a guy to take a shot on because he could hit .280 with 15-20 homers right away. We'll probably have a better read on this situation come February, and I can come back with some better analysis then, but that's my take on him as of now.

#6 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,525 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostRed Sox Nation, on 16 October 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

The Red Sox will have some interesting decisions. I'm not sure they want to pay Drew what he'll want coming off a great season and considering his injury history, but one thing is for sure that Bogaerts will be starting next year. It is a question of where. The Red Sox do have some options. They could let Napoli walk and push Middlebrooks to 1st, re-sign Drew and then move Bogaerts to 3rd. That's probably plan B, plan A is likely use Bogaerts at SS, leave Middlebrooks at 3b (and replace him with Garin Cecchini if WM flops again), and either re-sign Napoli, use a stupid Carp/Nava platoon, or make some sort of splash at 1b.

Back to Bogaerts though, he's a star in the making. He really battled in his limited playoff at bats, drawing 2 big walks in the Rays series and working the count to 3-2 before eventually popping up in game 1 vs Detroit. I say that was big because as a 20 year old you would normally be thinking that this is your time to shine, be a hero and tie the game. Instead he continued to show great poise and patience. His hitting eye is going to lead to pitchers having to pitch to him, and as his power grows and grows he will crush those mistakes. I'm not sure what to make of him for next year, but this is certainly a guy to take a shot on because he could hit .280 with 15-20 homers right away. We'll probably have a better read on this situation come February, and I can come back with some better analysis then, but that's my take on him as of now.
In my league for 2014, Xander is actually 3B eligible not SS because he didnt get to 20 at either spot and played 3B more than SS.  Obivously if he is the SS moving forward in 2014, it wont matter he will instantly get eligibility, but if he isnt the everyday SS, having him tie up a 3B spot instead of SS sort of stinks.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#7 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

. That's probably plan B, plan A is likely use Bogaerts at SS, leave Middlebrooks at 3b (and replace him with Garin Cecchini if WM flops again), and either re-sign Napoli, use a stupid Carp/Nava platoon, or make some sort of splash at 1b.

Updating myself, this is what I get for trying to write a post without my bosses seeing. Brain froze on that one, as neither can really hit lefties, so someone else would be a part of that platoon, but you get the idea.

#8 MySoxrRed

MySoxrRed

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

True Bogs may not be the SS. A lot does depend on what they do with Napoli and Drew. Either way he will be starting somewhere.

I grabbed him as a free agent because in my league you can keep a FA, but you have to start his price at what ESPN sets for him opening up the year. Crossing my fingers its low being he barely played.

#9 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

Great post.  And I do think the Sox let Napoli walk....as I firmly believe the 'splash' that you're talking about is Jose Abreu.

#10 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

He's going to play SS lol.

#11 MySoxrRed

MySoxrRed

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

Man Crush

#12 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

This kid might be the steal of the draft next year.

#13 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:25 AM

His plate discipline is pretty special.  Dude wasn't even thinking of offering at those slide pieces Scherzer was throwing.  I mean, he wasn't even flinching.  Guys like Pedroia were really having difficulty laying off Scherzer's breaking balls.  Scherzer was pitching Bogaerts as tough as any hitter in that lineup.  As incredibly annoying as the Red Sox fans are (Chicks wearing pink beards, come the f**k on!!!), I have to admit it's hard not to be impressed with Bogaerts.

#14 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Anyone have a clip of his double from last night?

#15 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,973 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

What's his fantasy upside?
-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

Football 2012: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: CHAMPION!!!!!
Football 2013: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: Most Points, missed playoffs.

#16 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

View Postbrockpapersizer, on 26 October 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

In a few years or for strictly 2014? For 2014.....similar to Jed Lowrie. May crack 20 HR. In a few years? Troy Tulowitzki.

Edited by Travis Burten, 26 October 2013 - 09:25 PM.

#17 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

View Postbrockpapersizer, on 26 October 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

Good article on Hardball Times on Xander's potential:

http://www.hardballt...ander-bogaerts/

#18 xenmax

xenmax

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

Kid looks like he will be an OBP beast in leagues that use the stat.
12 Team Yahoo Keepr Roto 6x6 R,HR,RBI,SB,OBP,SLG IP,SV,ERA,WHIP,K/9,QS

C:  J Phegley
1B: Prince Fielder
2B: Jason Kipnis
3B: Anthony Rendon / Nolan Arenado
SS: Ben Zobrist
OF: Nelson Cruz; Alex Gordon ; Adam Eaton
Util [2] : Brad Miller ; Kendrys Morales ;

BN: Luke Scott ; Ike Davis ; Junior Lake ;
DL: Matt Holliday ; Josh Willingham
NA: Jonathon Singleton ;

SP: Steven Strasburg ; Kris Medlen ; Corey Kluber ; Lance Lynn ; Chris Archer ; Patrick Corbin ; Gerrit Cole ; Tony Cingrani ; Andrew Cashner ;
RP: Greg Holland ; Jose Veras ; Koji Uehara ;

#19 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Imagine if he pulls a Mike Trout lol. .315-27HR type year lol.

#20 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

I really hope the hype can stay down on this kid by the time drafts come. He will be a very solid fantasy SS this year especially on that team in that lineup. Might not have overall gaudy numbers, but as a SS he will be very quality and help teams win championships especially if his ADP stays low.
No Days Off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users