572 replies to this topic

#561 bigbossman

bigbossman

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

sure he's been terrible, but just like last year he may be able to finish really strong.

I'm sure he's extra pissed off right now to help fuel it.
so many leagues, so little time.

#562 mhuhn23

mhuhn23

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:14 AM

sure he's been terrible, but just like last year he may be able to finish really strong.

As a Tiger fan, I can only hope. However as mentioned his mind isn't in the right place. And it was clearly his account that was hacked because Upton isn't the only female in those photos/videos. He's going to get a lot of heat on the road especially. Maybe it will get him focused. Verlander is nails when the Tigers have needed it the most. Maybe he'll be nails for himself and the team. Should be interesting.

10 Team H2H Categories (Keeper)

C Miguel Montero, Russel Martin
1B Jose Abreu, Adam Lind
2B Kolten Wong, Dustin Ackley
SS Hanley Ramirez, Jose Reyes
3B David Freese
OF Yasiel Puig, Andrew McCutchen, Starling Marte, Mookie Betts, Gregory Polanco,

UTIL David Ortiz

SP Clayton Kershaw, Madison Bumgarner, Jered Weaver, Jacob deGrom, Mike Fiers
RP David Robertson, Mark Melancon, Steve Cishek, Zach Britton

DL: Yu Darvish 

#563 2013myyear

2013myyear

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:55 PM

Sooo, Verlander's start tomorrow night is away. There should be some great signs made by Clev fans in the crowd and some subtle remarks by the announcers. Definitely tuning into the game just for that! :D

#564 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

I wonder if the broadcast will mention the hacking
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#565 StuPitt

StuPitt

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

DROPPED! He can not be trusted. Playoffs begin in less than two weeks and I no longer want to be tempted to use him. Really tough decision because I am a Tiger fan and know first hand how great he has been. Still find it surprising that he is owned by 92% of the Yahoo teams.

Read his latest news on this site - "Torpedoed". That is the one word I would not want associated with my pitcher.

As for the Upton thing. So overrated. 75% of professional baseball players have hot wives or girlfriends anyways. I see know link of anything Upton to Verlander's poor performance.

12 Team Redraft PPR League (QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, TE, FLEX, K, DEF)
QB Cam Newton, Andy Dalton
RB Alfred Morris, Ahmad Bradshaw, Pierre Thomas, Matt Asiata, Knile Davis, Jerrick McKinnon, Ryan Mathews, Ronnie Hillman
WR AJ Green, Marques Colston, Terrence Williams
TE Owen Daniels
K Matt Bryant

DEF Houston

#566 phoenixbases

phoenixbases

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:59 AM

DROPPED! He can not be trusted. Playoffs begin in less than two weeks and I no longer want to be tempted to use him. Really tough decision because I am a Tiger fan and know first hand how great he has been. Still find it surprising that he is owned by 92% of the Yahoo teams.

Read his latest news on this site - "Torpedoed". That is the one word I would not want associated with my pitcher.

As for the Upton thing. So overrated. 75% of professional baseball players have hot wives or girlfriends anyways. I see know link of anything Upton to Verlander's poor performance.

Exactly. It's not like Verlander never had been with a hot chick before.

Edited by phoenixbases, 04 September 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#567 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

Looking for some real analysis from someone that watched his start...

Just like the prior start, his k rate was over 1 per inning, a big change from earlier this year and usually an indicator that his stuff or sequencing was better than it was earlier this year.

From the box score I'd hypothesize that his breaking stuff and fastball velocity have improved but his command still sucks (low walks but lots of hits).

Can someone confirm if that is accurate or not?

#568 jspeco9

jspeco9

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

Only John Danks has allowed more ER than this guy. Not sure how anyone even owns him still.
  • phoenixbases likes this

#569 phoenixbases

phoenixbases

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

Looking for some real analysis from someone that watched his start...

Just like the prior start, his k rate was over 1 per inning, a big change from earlier this year and usually an indicator that his stuff or sequencing was better than it was earlier this year.

From the box score I'd hypothesize that his breaking stuff and fastball velocity have improved but his command still sucks (low walks but lots of hits).

Can someone confirm if that is accurate or not?

http://www.fangraphs...tion=P&pitch=FA

Velocity isn't up.

#570 phoenixbases

phoenixbases

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

Only John Danks has allowed more ER than this guy. Not sure how anyone even owns him still.

It's tough to let go of the past, and easy to think it can be recreated.

#571 tillyman

tillyman

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

It's tough to let go of the past, and easy to think it can be recreated.

Exactly - just go check out Tim Lincecum's ownership numbers sometime... unless you were saving him to only start against the Padres, it just doesn't make sense. It's about the numbers - not about the names.

#572 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,558 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:29 PM

A lot of people haven't grasped that Verlander sucks out loud now. Last year was a steep decline, resulting in a pretty healthy increase in ERA/WHIP. His SwStr% still remained above 10, however, and his K/9 stayed pretty steady. That, and his late-season performance, provided a form of hope. But the warning signs were his FB velocity started creeping down and his BB/9 started creeping up. Those were the two warning signs with Lincecum as well. His velocity started creeping down and his command profile started to erode at the same time.

This year, Verlander has completely fallen off a cliff. His K/9 and SwStr% have dipped dramatically. His FB velocity has continued to dip and his BB/9 has remained above 3. His FB is rated -8.2 according to Fangraphs. In 2011, it checked in at 25.5. When you watch Verlander, his FB has become his biggest issue. It's very, very hittable. When he throws it for strikes, it consistently catches plate. When he attempts to pitch to the the corners of the plate, he consistently misses, resulting in a lot of hitters' counts. His changeup sucks too. In yesterday's start, he was trying to throw a lot of changeups in the first inning. But they were hanging and turning into BP fastballs. Carlos Santana hit a hanging changeup into the seats in the first inning and Verlander kind of abandoned it and went mainly FB/slider from there.

The mainstream media still treats Verlander like a top of the rotation pitcher when discussing the Tigers. Like, "Oh, the Tigers have a big three in the playoffs of Price, Scherzer and Verlander." My god, Verlander wouldn't even be in the playoff rotation if Anibal Sanchez were healthy. Kudos to the guy for being able to drown himself waist-deep in 'tang when he gets home, but he's not very good at baseball anymore.
  • 96mnc likes this

#573 Baloo

Baloo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

The new Tim Lincecum. Has given up the most ER in the league for pitchers this season...I'm never touching him again.

NFL 12-Team H2H Fantasy Football League 7-points per TD
QB Peyton Manning
RB Fred Jackson
RB Antone Smith
WR Brandon Marshall
WR DeAndre Hopkins
TE Greg Olsen
Flex Mohammed Sanu
K Greg Zurlein
DEF Detroit Lions
Bench

QB Joe Flacco