105 replies to this topic

#1 KnicksSeasonTix23

KnicksSeasonTix23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Do you guys ever play certain guys based on who your opponent has? Normally we all go by the "play your studs" mantra, but in a coin toss type of situation do you ever play WR X because your opponent has the QB from the same team?

I wonder what the pros and cons of such a strategy would be? 95% of the time you know who you are playing, but in the instances where you need to make a pick up or are deciding between 2 relatively equal players, does it ever factor in your decisions?
I am he who is called I am.

#2 klownkollege

klownkollege

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

not no more, just play my best players and roll with it
  • Moose84 likes this

#3 MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:MinnieMouse, Goofy, Pluto, Cheesetits

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

Yes I have done that before. If Im playing against someone i know i have an advantage over based on match ups and studs i play a WR that will limit the upside of his QB. Last weekend I was up by 20 and he had Tony Romo still left to play. So i played Terrance Williams instead of playing Pierre Garcon. I figured if Romo had another 40 point game Terrance Williams would have to have a good game as well like last week of vice versa. Tony Romo ended up having only 8.8 FP and T will 8.7 FP so it didnt make a difference. I won. Garcon had 6.9 lol.

#4 roundy

roundy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

i never understood the whole "draft wideouts of the same team as your QB" thing. yeah it's double points, but it goes both ways.

if you have garcon and your opponent is RG3, you play him anyway because he will eat into RG3's points with every throw. it doesn't matter.

#5 TrueShoe

TrueShoe

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

Do you guys ever play certain guys based on who your opponent has? Normally we all go by the "play your studs" mantra, but in a coin toss type of situation do you ever play WR X because your opponent has the QB from the same team?

I wonder what the pros and cons of such a strategy would be? 95% of the time you know who you are playing, but in the instances where you need to make a pick up or are deciding between 2 relatively equal players, does it ever factor in your decisions?

I never hedge my bet unless I'm a big time favorite to win the matchup already, where a play it safe approach should get it done.

But if say I have big players on a bye week and I'm playing the #1 team, I'll start all my all or nothing guys and hope for the best.
  • toefu and rigadoog like this
Gearing up for baseball.

#6 screaming_vultures

screaming_vultures

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

What I definitely try to do is to get the kicker of my opponents QB. Usually if the qb has a good game, the kicker has something along the same lines. In my experience this has worked about 70% of the time.

Football - Yahoo - 10 Team Keeper(Keep 3) - H2H - PPR + 6pt Passing TDs (QB/WR/TE/RB/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/DEF/K)

QB: Nick Foles, RG3
WR: Vincent Jackson, Michael Crabtree, Marques Colston, Terrance Williams, Josh Gordon
RB: Giovani Bernard, Shane Vereen, Toby Gerhart, CJ Spiller, Pierre Thomas
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski
K: Mason Crosby
DEF: Streaming

#7 lolcopter

lolcopter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

i thought this was a good idea with fleener playing against luck

no

12 team standard
QB -- Matt Ryan
RB -- Andre Ellington, Matt Asiata
WR -- Julio Jones, Randall Cobb

TE -- Larry Donnell
Flex -- Michael Floyd
D/ST -- Lions
K -- Nick Novak
Bench --
Josh Gordon, Cordarrelle Patterson, Lorenzo Taliaferro, Alfred Blue, Terrance West, Bobby Rainey, Tony Romo

FIRE GOODELL

#8 AshesAndLaughter

AshesAndLaughter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

I play who I think my best players are, period. It doesn't matter who my opponent rolls out there, I worry about my team and I don't overthink things.
  • Moose84, JJ1223 and rigadoog like this

12-team PPR; Points Leader, and Points Against Leader; 1-2...Fantasy Football can be so cruel.
4pt passing TDs
2 Flex Spots and no kicker:

QB: Blake Bortles (Russell Wilson bye)
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw
RB: Rashad Jennings
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Roddy White
Flex: TY Hilton (trade)
Flex: Shane Vereen
TE: Larry Donnell (FA)
Def: Patriots

Bench:

QB: Russell Wilson
RBs: Toby Gerhart,  Alfred Blue (FA), Isaiah Crowell (FA)
WRs: Demaryius Thomas (bye)
TE: Jordan Cameron (trade)

#9 chrispaulwall

chrispaulwall

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

lol you guys overthink this s--- so much play your best players with the best matchups
  • JJ1223 likes this

#10 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

This whole concept makes absolutely no sense. You play the guy that you think will score the most points. Period.

If you have somebody that is so guaranteed to score a lot of points with a certain quarterback, you should be starting him no matter what.
  • newyork2la likes this

#11 MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

If you play your players with the best match ups you have no guarantee that they pull a dud and cost you the week. Thats why if you have a certain lead or have to pick between two risk players you play the one that will limit your opponents players upside. That way the opponents points are directly proportional to yours. Your WR has a good game his QB had a good game. Your WR has a bad game his QB most likely had a bad game. WR are unpredictable/ risky any given week thats why its good to have some sort of insurance. Obviously you play the best players on your team most of the time this is just a situational bye week type of scenario.

#12 AshesAndLaughter

AshesAndLaughter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

If you play your players with the best match ups you have no guarantee that they pull a dud and cost you the week. Thats why if you have a certain lead or have to pick between two risk players you play the one that will limit your opponents players upside. That way the opponents points are directly proportional to yours. Your WR has a good game his QB had a good game. Your WR has a bad game his QB most likely had a bad game. WR are unpredictable/ risky any given week thats why its good to have some sort of insurance. Obviously you play the best players on your team most of the time this is just a situational bye week type of scenario.

I started Alshon Jeffery last week because I thought he had the best chance at scoring me points. My opponent had Jay Cutler who finished with 20.3pts. Alshon Jeffery finished with 5.2pts. Just because you think that it Alshon Jeffery limited Jay Cutler's upside (somehow) doesn't mean that happens. In no way did starting Alshon effect Jay Cutler's upside.

12-team PPR; Points Leader, and Points Against Leader; 1-2...Fantasy Football can be so cruel.
4pt passing TDs
2 Flex Spots and no kicker:

QB: Blake Bortles (Russell Wilson bye)
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw
RB: Rashad Jennings
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Roddy White
Flex: TY Hilton (trade)
Flex: Shane Vereen
TE: Larry Donnell (FA)
Def: Patriots

Bench:

QB: Russell Wilson
RBs: Toby Gerhart,  Alfred Blue (FA), Isaiah Crowell (FA)
WRs: Demaryius Thomas (bye)
TE: Jordan Cameron (trade)

#13 dark_knite03

dark_knite03

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:28 PM

Only if you have to players you rank the same. Example Jordy and DJax and couldnt decide between the two.
16 Team  H2H  (Starter*)
PPR(1) All TD(6) Yardage Bonus Ru,Rec 125(2),175(5),225(7) Pa 325(2),375(5),425(7)
Start: QB(1), RB(2), WR(2), TE(1)

Rivers*,Luck
Spiller,Gio*,Woody*,Stacey
Dez*,Nelson,Djax*, Allen
Graham*, Fauria
Sturgis*
Chiefs*

#14 JimmyGs

JimmyGs
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

Only if you have to players you rank the same. Example Jordy and DJax and couldnt decide between the two.

There ya go. Yes, if you have two players fairly equally ranked and your opponent has the QB of one of your players AND it is a good matchup that week I would definitely play that WR.

#15 MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

I started Alshon Jeffery last week because I thought he had the best chance at scoring me points. My opponent had Jay Cutler who finished with 20.3pts. Alshon Jeffery finished with 5.2pts. Just because you think that it Alshon Jeffery limited Jay Cutler's upside (somehow) doesn't mean that happens. In no way did starting Alshon effect Jay Cutler's upside.

In week 5 if you were up by 30points with one receiver left and your opponent had Romo left which would you have started Terrance Williams or Boldin or Colston. If you wouldve started Williams you wouldve won if you went with Boldin or Colston you wouldve lost. By starting williams you limited Romo's big game.

There ya go. Yes, if you have two players fairly equally ranked and your opponent has the QB of one of your players AND it is a good matchup that week I would definitely play that WR.

and this. Like i said its situationally based on what other players you have and what your opponent has and what situation you will most likely be in. You can't predict the future but you can lower the risk of a dud or a boom or bust type player

Edited by MickeyMouse, 18 October 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#16 Jstack34

Jstack34

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

I play the kicker of my opponents QB. Reduces their passing TDs from 4 to 3. If they stall out in the red zone, I get 3 and he doesnt get a TD. Rushing td and your Kicker gets 1 and their QB gets 0
  • lolcopter likes this
Yahoo 11 Team Roto Categories
Hitting: Runs/HR/RBI/AVG/SB
Pitching: W/S/ERA/WHIP/K's

C Posey
1B: Berkman
2B: Brandon Phillips(2B)
SS: Lowrie
3B: Adrian Beltre((3B)
OF: Jose Bautista
OF: Jay Bruce
OF: Ryan Braun
Util: Jay Bruce
Util: Starling Marte

Bench: Mitch Moreland, Chase Headley, Curtis Granderson, Shin soo-choo, Michael Cuddyer
DL: Austin Jackson

Pitching: J-Zimm, Lynn, CJ Wilson, Rodney, Mujica, Jansen, Andrew Cashner

#17 lolcopter

lolcopter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

while i like the kicker-of-QB strategy, it seems like that's not very feasible a lot of weeks

although it's still a kicker so who cares

Edited by lolcopter, 18 October 2013 - 06:50 PM.

12 team standard
QB -- Matt Ryan
RB -- Andre Ellington, Matt Asiata
WR -- Julio Jones, Randall Cobb

TE -- Larry Donnell
Flex -- Michael Floyd
D/ST -- Lions
K -- Nick Novak
Bench --
Josh Gordon, Cordarrelle Patterson, Lorenzo Taliaferro, Alfred Blue, Terrance West, Bobby Rainey, Tony Romo

FIRE GOODELL

#18 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

I play the kicker of my opponents QB. Reduces their passing TDs from 4 to 3. If they stall out in the red zone, I get 3 and he doesnt get a TD. Rushing td and your Kicker gets 1 and their QB gets 0

This still makes absolutely zero sense. I get that kickers are a volatile position, but you would be far better served by just picking a kicker that is expected to have a lot of opportunities to score you some points.
  • tgalv, AshesAndLaughter and rigadoog like this

#19 screaming_vultures

screaming_vultures

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

This still makes absolutely zero sense. I get that kickers are a volatile position, but you would be far better served by just picking a kicker that is expected to have a lot of opportunities to score you some points.

A week or so ago, I literally beat Aaron Rodgers single-handedly by picking Mason Crosby off of the waiver wire lol. Another couple of weeks back, my opponent had Vick playing KC, i pick up Alexi Henry and win. This does work imo, i think i have won atleast a dozen games in the last 3 years just because the Kicker completely negated the other guy's QB lol. This really works well if the other guys QB is going up against a decent defense.

However when this doesnt work, its not common but it has happened and OMFG things can go down south real quick, for example teams fall behind and they go for 2 and convert lol.

Also all these strategies are somewhat advanced level strategies, people need to know what they are doing to employ them. You cant randomly start any opposing K, need to understand matchups, offensive injuries etc.

Edited by screaming_vultures, 18 October 2013 - 07:59 PM.

Football - Yahoo - 10 Team Keeper(Keep 3) - H2H - PPR + 6pt Passing TDs (QB/WR/TE/RB/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/DEF/K)

QB: Nick Foles, RG3
WR: Vincent Jackson, Michael Crabtree, Marques Colston, Terrance Williams, Josh Gordon
RB: Giovani Bernard, Shane Vereen, Toby Gerhart, CJ Spiller, Pierre Thomas
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski
K: Mason Crosby
DEF: Streaming

#20 floridamach1

floridamach1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

This whole concept makes absolutely no sense. You play the guy that you think will score the most points. Period.

If you have somebody that is so guaranteed to score a lot of points with a certain quarterback, you should be starting him no matter what.

Agreed but there's a probabilistic distribution associated with a player's performance. I am confident Antonio Brown outscores TY Hilton but this is based on a probabilistic distribution with each point total having a discrete probability. There is also a chance that Hilton out scores Brown and, a good chance that Luck's performance correlates with that. Thusly, I can hedge my bets by playing Hilton against the team with Luck.
  • calibar likes this
12- team H2H 6 x 6 (OBP, HR, R, RBI, Steals, XBH, QS, ERA, WHIP, Ks, K/BB, SvHd)
10- team Roto 5 x 5 standard cats
20- team Roto 6 x 6 (OBP, HR, R, RBI, Net Steals, XBH, QS, ERA, WHIP, Ks, K/BB, Net Saves)

And my teams are good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users