106 replies to this topic

#1 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Before the suspension he was on a 60 steal pace and if you extrapolated his numbers over a full season he would have been the highest ranked shortstop. He started to show some extra base power and the walk rate was good. Personally, I think he'll be a good value and will be targeting him even with the uncertainty over the PEDs. A potential Ellsburyish line at shortstop is pretty enticing. Thoughts?

#2 Thespis721

Thespis721

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

He was dropped in my auction league after the suspension so I snapped him up for $5 next year.  I'll see how things go in the off-season, see how his spring is, but I think a potential top 10 short stop at $5 is a pretty sweet deal.

#3 damana

damana

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

Getting 60 bags out of your SS is pretty big.  With full health for a year I could see 65-70 if he can keep the OBP up, which hopefully will not be a problem.  I like the Ellsbury comparison just with a little less avg, a bit less power, a few more steals, and a whole lot cheaper come draft day!

Edited by damana, 19 October 2013 - 04:41 PM.

4X4 AL East and NL only Keeper auction league (Keep 10)

C. Davis ($25)(3 years)
D. Murphy ($6)(3 years)
B. Harper ($17)(2 years)
E. Cabrera ($4)(3 years)
X. Boegaerts (3rd base eligible only)($6)(4 years)
A. Jones ($27)(1 year)
K. Jensen ($8)(3 years)
M. Minor ($7)(3 years)
A. Cobb ($9)(3 years)
A. Cashner ($6)(3 years)

#4 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

Without the juice, he'll revert back to what he did in 2012. Truly a 1-cat player. I won't go near him.
You're television incarnate, Diana: Indifferent to suffering; insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. And the daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split seconds and instant replays. You're madness, Diana. Virulent madness. And everything you touch dies with you. But not me. Not as long as I can feel pleasure, and pain... and love.

#5 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

damana, on 19 October 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

Getting 60 bags out of your SS is pretty big.  With full health for a year I could see 65-70 if he can keep the OBP up, which hopefully will not be a problem.  I like the Ellsbury comparison just with a little less avg, a bit less power, a few more steals, and a whole lot cheaper come draft day!
I've got him on all of my dynasty teams I can.  Looking forward to a decade of speed from my SS hole.

#6 JJ954

JJ954

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:58 PM

The Big Bat Theory, on 19 October 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

damana, on 19 October 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

I've got him on all of my dynasty teams I can.  Looking forward to a decade of speed from my SS hole.
Im on the same boat on that

#7 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Interests:Beating everyone

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:34 AM

View PostPosting In The Clutch, on 19 October 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

Without the juice, he'll revert back to what he did in 2012. Truly a 1-cat player. I won't go near him.
Ya he strikes me as more Villar than Ellsbury, think ill pass
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa.  -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life.  Take your pick.  -Thomas Boswell

#8 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:18 AM

He wasn't on the juice in 2013.
http://diamondhoggers.com - A baseball blog about everything baseball

#9 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

View Postmevins31, on 23 October 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

Suspended for taking PEDs. Fact.
You're television incarnate, Diana: Indifferent to suffering; insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. And the daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split seconds and instant replays. You're madness, Diana. Virulent madness. And everything you touch dies with you. But not me. Not as long as I can feel pleasure, and pain... and love.

#10 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostPosting In The Clutch, on 23 October 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

The other part of that fact was the use (according to Cabrera) happened in 2012. Wasn't he part of the infamous Biogenics (or whatever the lab was in FLA). If this is true I hope he does go back to 2012 performance levels.

#11 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostAn Old Hippie, on 23 October 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

The other part of that fact was the use (according to Cabrera) happened in 2012. Wasn't he part of the infamous Biogenics (or whatever the lab was in FLA). If this is true I hope he does go back to 2012 performance levels.

I can't think of a good reason to take him at his word. He's a cheat and a liar. A-Rod said he never juiced with the Yankees or the Mariners. I've heard he started juicing back in high school.

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 23 October 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#12 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostPosting In The Clutch, on 23 October 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

View PostAn Old Hippie, on 23 October 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

I can't think of a good reason to take him at his word. He's a cheat and a liar. A-Rod said he never juiced with the Yankees or the Mariners. I've heard he started juicing back in high school.

I agree that taking any of them at their word is not a good idea. I also think the saying that any player was good before taking PED is also a foolish thing. You have no idea when it started.

#13 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

Posting In The Clutch, on 23 October 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

An Old Hippie, on 23 October 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

Posting In The Clutch, on 23 October 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

mevins31, on 23 October 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

Posting In The Clutch, on 19 October 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

Apparently he took something in the offseason before 2012 to recover from a slow healing shoulder injury.  I believe him and from talking to others that would know in the San Diego community they do to.  

Grandal is a totally different story.  What sort of player he really is remains to be seen.

#14 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

96mnc, on 25 October 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

Posting In The Clutch, on 23 October 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

An Old Hippie, on 23 October 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

Posting In The Clutch, on 23 October 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

mevins31, on 23 October 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

Apparently he took something in the offseason before 2012 to recover from a slow healing shoulder injury.  I believe him and from talking to others that would know in the San Diego community they do to.  

Grandal is a totally different story.  What sort of player he really is remains to be seen.

Pettitte, McGwire, and Braun also claimed they used PEDs to recover from injuries. Cabrera was able to put on the waterworks when he was caught. He's a good actor, or perhaps he was sincerely contrite. Regardless, like the rest of those cheaters I would not for a second give him the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 25 October 2013 - 01:15 AM.

#15 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

The crying apology Everth had really stuck with me. I think he took it to recover in 2012 and eventually had to fall on the sword
http://diamondhoggers.com - A baseball blog about everything baseball

#16 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

I think this guy will be a little bit of a bargain come draft day. People might slot him lower on their rankings because he does play for the Padres, and the whole suspension thing. No matter what he will get steals, and that is valuable at any time of the draft.
No Days Off

#17 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

He's damned good in that one category. He's not a guy I'll go out of my way to acquire, but I do feel the PED's could drop his value significantly enough to make him an enticing gamble. I don't think it's probable he'll return to 2013 power levels, but I acknowledge it's possible.
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#18 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

AnonymousRob, on 16 December 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

He's damned good in that one category. He's not a guy I'll go out of my way to acquire, but I do feel the PED's could drop his value significantly enough to make him an enticing gamble. I don't think it's probable he'll return to 2013 power levels, but I acknowledge it's possible.

even if the power levels don't return the Padres actually won't be a bad team IMO, and he will hit at the top of the lineup. He will provide good runs, great steals and depending on his avg (could be low again around .250) he might not kill you there. He is also a SS so that helps his value. I'm going to be targeting him on draft day if he is cheap. SS is god awful anyway.
No Days Off

#19 Homerj24

Homerj24

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

View Postklove42, on 16 December 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostAnonymousRob, on 16 December 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

even if the power levels don't return the Padres actually won't be a bad team IMO, and he will hit at the top of the lineup. He will provide good runs, great steals and depending on his avg (could be low again around .250) he might not kill you there. He is also a SS so that helps his value. I'm going to be targeting him on draft day if he is cheap. SS is god awful anyway.

Agreed. If you don't get one of the elite options (which I typically wouldn't pay for anyway) you could do yourself a service by selecting this guy. If you're going to roster a one category (steals only) guy, SS is the place to do it.

#20 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

getting good amount of steals from your SS is where to get it. especially if they are not hurting your average and Cabrera was the perfect definition of this last year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users