#1 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

http://espn.go.com/m...m-officials-say

It's crazy. People just don't get it. All the umpires have to do is enforce the rule as it is.

Running over the catcher--unless he's parked in front of the plate--should by the rules be handled the same way that this play was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxPNcrvR46Q

Edited by My Dinner With Andre, 19 October 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#2 Bravesfan155

Bravesfan155

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

They called him out because he intentionally interfered with the ball. Had he not swiped at it, he would've been safe. I don't necessarily like the idea of removing it from the sport, but i do think something needs to be done about the guys who go in with the sole intention of running over the catcher.
  • damana likes this
forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=283533&st=20#entry2736207

forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=265147&st=500#entry2810860

#3 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

This is pretty brilliant, from last nights game...

http://deadspin.com/...-1593114684/all

#4 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,701 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

That video reminded me how much of a moron A-Rod forever will be.

Edited by NYR Fan 116894, 19 June 2014 - 06:10 PM.

Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#5 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

This is the stupidest rule in all of sports, and I'm not just saying this because it cost my team a game. Seriously, what a BS rule all because Buster Posey got injured blocking the plate on one occasion. They should just let base runners automatically score from now on. Garbage.

Edited by The Harsh, 31 July 2014 - 08:37 PM.
Profanity.

#6 mpbaseball22

mpbaseball22

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

Marlins fan?

I agree, it is bad. Morris even said something to the ump and the ump said he agreed... Pretty bad and I hope its 100% gone next season

16 Team Dynasty with Milb rosters (40 man mlb, 35 man milb) 15 start limit, points league
McCatchin Trout
C: Posey
1B: Lind
2B: Kipnis
3B: Harrison
SS: Asdrubal
IF: Lamb
OF: McCutchen, Trout, Castillo, Beltran
U: Gattis, Alvarez, Hardy
Bench: Moustakas, Dietrich, Sizemore, Ianetta, Lamb

SP: Zimmerman, McCarthy, Holland, Hutchison, M Gonzalez, Kazmir, Morton, Simon, Kennedy, Duffy, Feldman, Cashner, Wada, deGrom, Carrasco, Volquez
RP: Holland, Rosenthal, Melancon, Doolittle, Ramos, Cecil, Giles
Prospects (35 man rosters):
Bundy, Dahl, Schwarber, Carson Sands, Gillaspie, Medeiros, Luis Ortiz, Miguel A Gonzalez, Cameron Varga, Lorenzen, Lugo, Franmil Reyes, Chase Vallot, Adalberto Mejia, Mella, Heredia, Mike Montgomery, Joan Gregorio, Wendle, Jefry Rodriguez, Vaugh Bryan, Palka, Kevin Franklin, Juan De Leon, Willy Adames, Slegers, Hockin, Max George, Hentges, DeCarr, Tyler DeLoach, Josh Prevost, Amaurys Minier, Yu-Cheng Chang

#7 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

It is not just Buster Posey.

Ray Fosse, if you are old enough to remember ...
http://m.mlb.com/vid...se-at-the-plate

And that happened in what amounts to an exhibition -- 70 All Star game.

I agree that the rule probably could use some adjustment but I'm not sure how exactly they fix it so that catchers aren't wussies or guys like Stephen Drew don't have the ankles facing 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

#8 SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

IMO it's a stupid rule. the catcher knows the risks he takes on when he's making the decision to block the plate.

#9 Doctor L

Doctor L

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

I agree that the rule probably could use some adjustment but I'm not sure how exactly they fix it so that catchers aren't wussies

All those pads and they are still wussies? Good thing they play baseball and not football.

On a serious note though, I'm fine with the rule. Could use some tinkering but 1st, 2nd and 3rd aren't blocked so I'm ok with home plate not being blocked too.

Edited by Doctor L, 31 July 2014 - 08:39 PM.

#10 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

I'm convinced people will never, ever get it.

Catchers can block the plate. You can block any base you want.

What you can't do is try to knock the ball out of the fielder's glove.

If the catcher's blocking the plate run through him, just like you should run through the 1st baseman and slide through the 2nd or 3rd baseman if they are blocking the respective base.

What you can't do is deliberately try to knock the ball out of the fielder's glove. Doesn't matter if it judo chop (ie, A-Rod), spear, or forearm shiver.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre, 31 July 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#11 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

It is not just Buster Posey.

Ray Fosse, if you are old enough to remember ...
http://m.mlb.com/vid...se-at-the-plate

And that happened in what amounts to an exhibition -- 70 All Star game.

I agree that the rule probably could use some adjustment but I'm not sure how exactly they fix it so that catchers aren't wussies or guys like Stephen Drew don't have the ankles facing 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

It's a sport and injuries happen. It's a stupid rule when the umpire even agrees that it's bull**** on the field. The challenge took over 6 minutes because nobody even knows how to interpret the ******** rule. Jeff Mathis did absolutely nothing wrong. I wish that Mike Redmond was Ozzie Guillen to get a good rant after the game.

#12 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

I agree that the rule probably could use some adjustment but I'm not sure how exactly they fix it so that catchers aren't wussies

All those pads and they are still wussies? Good thing they play baseball and not football.

On a serious note though, I'm fine with the rule. Could use some tinkering but 1st, 2nd and 3rd aren't blocked so I'm ok with home plate not being blocked too.

:wacko:

Sorry, I did not mean to suggest that catchers aren't tough or that the job isn't demanding -- catching is brutal and the pads are obvious proof of that. Rather, I mean that the plate-blocking makes "less" of a requirement for toughness.

#13 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

This game should be protested.

#14 Low and Away

Low and Away

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

If the catcher's blocking the plate run through him, just like you should run through the 1st baseman and slide through the 2nd or 3rd baseman if they are blocking the respective base.

What you can't do is deliberately try to knock the ball out of the fielder's glove. Doesn't matter if it judo chop (ie, A-Rod), spear, or forearm shiver.

• Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score. If, in the judgment of the Umpire, the catcher, without possession of the ball, blocks the pathway of the runner, the Umpire shall call or signal the runner safe.
  • A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate). If, in the judgment of the Umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the Umpire shall declare the runner out (even if the player covering home plate loses possession of the ball).

#15 Doctor L

Doctor L

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

:wacko:

Sorry, I did not mean to suggest that catchers aren't tough or that the job isn't demanding -- catching is brutal and the pads are obvious proof of that. Rather, I mean that the plate-blocking makes "less" of a requirement for toughness.

I was just being sarcastic like you were.

But that's how sports are becoming. The NFL and NHL are pretty brutal sports and the MLB is nothing compared to them. But they are making those sports softer and softer with new rules and regulations on how you can hit a person and where you can or can't hit them.

#16 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

• Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score. If, in the judgment of the Umpire, the catcher, without possession of the ball, blocks the pathway of the runner, the Umpire shall call or signal the runner safe.
  • A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate). If, in the judgment of the Umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the Umpire shall declare the runner out (even if the player covering home plate loses possession of the ball).

So, so wrong

#17 Low and Away

Low and Away

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

So, so wrong

Read it for yourself.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...pr_mlb&c_id=mlb
  • Bravesfan155 likes this

#18 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

So, so wrong

Read it for yourself.

Heh. I guess I didn't know they actually made a new rule.

At least you can still block the other bases if you please.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre, 31 July 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#19 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

After the Reds take the lead, the umpire tells Bryan Morris that he agrees it's bull****. I wonder if he'll be fined or suspended for that. What a joke. It would be great if a game in the playoffs were decided this way. MLB should be embarrassed with this new rule.

#20 Low and Away

Low and Away

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

So, so wrong

Read it for yourself.

Heh. I guess I didn't know they actually made a new rule.

At least you can still block the other bases if you please.

Not really. At first depending on the circumstances it could be deemed obstruction.

The first baseman is entitled to the base IF he is in the act of catching the thrown ball. It's that dratted word again, JUDGMENT. If the umpire thinks the fielder is blocking the base without the ball, it's obstruction.

Edited by Low and Away, 31 July 2014 - 09:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users