142 replies to this topic

#1 JJ954

JJ954

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

He looked to finally put together a nice half after coming back up for AAA and may be a dark horse for the 2014 season. As Smoak is coming off his best season ever as a major leaguer, hitting .238 with 20 homers for the M’s in 2013.

None of those numbers are very sexy, with a possible exception of that 20-homer season for the first time in his career.  Clearly there is still plenty of improvement needed if Smoak is finally going to break out.

Despite the risk of a big-money deal and mediocrity at the plate, a switch-hitting, lefty-throwing first baseman who shows the potential to hit for a lot of power is a very strong aphrodisiac.

The question is: Will he?

I say yes. The 2014 season is when Smoak finally puts it together.  He’ll cut down on the strikeouts and hit at least .275 with 30 Homers.  He’ll also break the 100 RBI total for the first time in his career.  You heard it here first.

Whats your guys thoughts?

#2 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

The consistency has never been there. He's always shown flashes, and this year it looked like he had finally figured things out for a time. But it turned out to be nothing more than a tease, which is basically what his career has been so far.

Not a believer.
I remember one evening in the pouring rain
And in my heart there was an aching pain
Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well

#3 BigPapi44

BigPapi44

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

Can seeing him putting up 20Hrs with a fairly empty average, and if he's hitting 6th or 7th in that lineup, I wouldn't be looking at him as anything more than a backup filler.

#4 Bud C. Lick Lite

Bud C. Lick Lite

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

I see him as a borderline sleeper.  He'll probably have that .270 30 HR season one of these years.  But I wouldn't take him any higher than the last rounds for 2014 - he could too easily be on the waiver wire by the 3rd week or sooner.  Even the hitting deficient and poorly run Mariners will lose patience fairly soon if he doesn't start living up to his potential, especially if their young pitchers develop quickly.

#5 Ragnaroker

Ragnaroker

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

The power is there but the consistency is not. Very late round deep sleeper if at all. I guess it depends on size of league. I don't think there is much to suggest he will ever hit for a decent average.

#6 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,526 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

To me, he is on the outside looking in of the "do not draft" line.  My league, the number of 1B that go are in the high 20's, I just dont see it for him and thats even with some guys not being 1B eligible this year (like Butler and Cuddyer).

I think one of the things with Smoak, he was a very high rated prospect, but he never had great minor league power, I think a lot of folks just assumed it would eventually come, especially playing in Arlington, then he got traded to a tough HR hitters park and the average has usually stunk so he just hasnt been worth it.

So what 1B do you have him ranked higher than or take him over?
Ruf, Lind, LoMo, Morneau, Alonso, Carter, Moreland, Jones
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#7 JJ954

JJ954

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

View Postparrothead, on 22 October 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

To me, he is on the outside looking in of the "do not draft" line.  My league, the number of 1B that go are in the high 20's, I just dont see it for him and thats even with some guys not being 1B eligible this year (like Butler and Cuddyer).

I think one of the things with Smoak, he was a very high rated prospect, but he never had great minor league power, I think a lot of folks just assumed it would eventually come, especially playing in Arlington, then he got traded to a tough HR hitters park and the average has usually stunk so he just hasnt been worth it.

I would take him over Garret Jones and Lind, and maybe Ruf not sure on his numbers yet if they are legit. Lomo and Smoak I see as a wash, but im anxious to see next year

#8 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

View PostJJ954, on 22 October 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

View Postparrothead, on 22 October 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

I would take him over Garret Jones and Lind, and maybe Ruf not sure on his numbers yet if they are legit. Lomo and Smoak I see as a wash, but im anxious to see next year

Would not take Smoak over Lind. Both are 20 Homer guys,  Lind has higher BA potential, and I like his Run production Potential better...

#9 MiggyRunsTings

MiggyRunsTings

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

I'm shocked to see absolutely ZERO buzz or even a single post for this guy for the past 6 months..

Here's what I just did; and yes people might think I'm crazy.  I scooped Smoak off the wire, over guys like Aoki, Tori Hunter, Castellanous, Morneau, etc..

This is my reasoning..

-He had a career year last year, albeit still fairly disappointing.  BUT i'm in an OBP league, and that .330 OBP isn't god awful by any stretch.
-This guy had the pedigree (albeit years ago).  In the minors he was basically a BB/K guy.  He's turning 27 now and coming off his est year
-He's hitting cleanup is what I've heard.  Not only that he's got Cano and Miller in front of him.  Those 20 HRs for a mere 50 RBIs last year should go up quite a bit with good OBP guys in front.  
-He's having a nice spring hitting north of .300.  Not only that half his hits have gone for extra bases.  And my favourite stat is his 8 BBs to 10 Ks.  Last spring he had a redonkulous ST but still had 3 times as many Ks as BBs.  Maybe he's learning that minor league patience now?

Basically though, he's starting the year in cleanup spot with some better players ahead of him in that lineup that will be getting on base.  This means better pitches for Smoak.  I just see so much more upside with this kid than going with some of the names I listed above.  He's entering prime age years, might as well roll the dice.
12-team Mixed H2H 5x5 (OBP) Keeper League (6 keeps)

C: Joe Mauer $18 (K)   
1B: Anthony Rizzo $12 (K)  
2B: Brian Dozier FA
SS: Dee Gordon FA
3B: Miggy Cabrera $41 (K)
IF: Pablo Sandoval $8
OF: Hunter Pence $13 (K)
OF: Dexter Fowler $8
OF: Michael Morse $1
OF: Khris Davis $11
U: J.D. Martinez FA
B: James Jones FA

SP: Justin Verlander $24, David Price $23, Cole Hamels $17, Julio Teheran $11 (K), Alex Wood $5, Ian Kennedy $1, Garrett Richards $1
RP: Zach Britton FA, Jake McGee FA, Joaquin Benoit FA, Joe Smith FA
ML: Kevin Gausman $1, Brad Miller $1
DL: Jose Fernandez $5 (K), Michael Pineda $1

#10 dod959

dod959

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

Quite frankly it sounds like you talked yourself into him. I mean, 8BB/10K in ST means he finally found his MILB patience from like 6 years ago lol?

#11 MiggyRunsTings

MiggyRunsTings

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

View Postdod959, on 28 March 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

Quite frankly it sounds like you talked yourself into him. I mean, 8BB/10K in ST means he finally found his MILB patience from like 6 years ago lol?

all i said was it was my fav stat of spring, and MAYBE he's LEARNING more patience.  it's not like he didn't walk 65 times last year in 450 ABs...

i also clearly listed several other reasons, but nice counter argument.

SP: Justin Verlander $24, David Price $23, Cole Hamels $17, Julio Teheran $11 (K), Alex Wood $5, Ian Kennedy $1, Garrett Richards $1

#12 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

View PostMiggyRunsTings, on 28 March 2014 - 08:11 PM, said:

I'm shocked to see absolutely ZERO buzz or even a single post for this guy for the past 6 months..

Here's what I just did; and yes people might think I'm crazy.  I scooped Smoak off the wire, over guys like Aoki, Tori Hunter, Castellanous, Morneau, etc..

This is my reasoning..

-He had a career year last year, albeit still fairly disappointing.  BUT i'm in an OBP league, and that .330 OBP isn't god awful by any stretch.
-This guy had the pedigree (albeit years ago).  In the minors he was basically a BB/K guy.  He's turning 27 now and coming off his est year
-He's hitting cleanup is what I've heard.  Not only that he's got Cano and Miller in front of him.  Those 20 HRs for a mere 50 RBIs last year should go up quite a bit with good OBP guys in front.  
-He's having a nice spring hitting north of .300.  Not only that half his hits have gone for extra bases.  And my favourite stat is his 8 BBs to 10 Ks.  Last spring he had a redonkulous ST but still had 3 times as many Ks as BBs.  Maybe he's learning that minor league patience now?

Basically though, he's starting the year in cleanup spot with some better players ahead of him in that lineup that will be getting on base.  This means better pitches for Smoak.  I just see so much more upside with this kid than going with some of the names I listed above.  He's entering prime age years, might as well roll the dice.

I'd take all of those guys before Smoak with the possible exception of Morneau who I think is done.  They'll give the cleanup spot to Seager or Corey Hart if he can get healthy.

#13 MiggyRunsTings

MiggyRunsTings

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

View Postjb_power, on 28 March 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

View PostMiggyRunsTings, on 28 March 2014 - 08:11 PM, said:

This is my reasoning..

I'd take all of those guys before Smoak with the possible exception of Morneau who I think is done.  They'll give the cleanup spot to Seager or Corey Hart if he can get healthy.

I think those guys have a better chance of having solid years, but my team is filled with potential speed/OBP guys (eaton, fowler, gardner, etc) so another middling 20 SB guy with not much else aside from OBP wasn't worth it for me.  Tori Hunter is just declining and declining.  You can find that production on the wire most likely.  I just think Smoak has a higher payoff, and for my teams skillset, but we'll see!

#14 dod959

dod959

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

View PostMiggyRunsTings, on 28 March 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

all i said was it was my fav stat of spring, and MAYBE he's LEARNING more patience.  it's not like he didn't walk 65 times last year in 450 ABs...

Well your other points were that: 1. His career year was still a disappointment. 2. He had pedigree years ago and now he's 27. 3. He might hit cleanup.

Just making an observation. You wanted posts in this guy's thread right? :ph34r:

#15 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

^ Torii Hunter will decline ... eventually ... but he still put together a better year at the age of 37 in 2013 than Justin Smoak will possibly ever have in his career.

Hunter put up 17 HRs, 90 runs, 84 RBI and a .304 average last year ... but if you think Justin fits your team better ... well that's obviously your decision

Edited by jb_power, 28 March 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#16 MiggyRunsTings

MiggyRunsTings

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

View Postdod959, on 28 March 2014 - 08:55 PM, said:

View PostMiggyRunsTings, on 28 March 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

Well your other points were that: 1. His career year was still a disappointment. 2. He had pedigree years ago and now he's 27. 3. He might hit cleanup.

Just making an observation. You wanted posts in this guy's thread right? :ph34r:

a politician, you sound like [/yoda]

you take his OBP and power last year i'll take those over a full season this year right now.  that's OBP of .335 and 25 jacks.  i'm saying THIS year his other surrounding counting stats should be much higher with the new lineup (more ribis) and better pitch selection with men on base.  that's me using JUST last year's stats.  now i'm banking on growth in age 27 year (have you heard of that year before?).  I don't think I'm being too unreasonable here with small growth.  in AVG leagues, maybe i can see why i still wouldn't take a flyer on him.  but OBP i feel it's justified.

#17 MiggyRunsTings

MiggyRunsTings

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

View Postjb_power, on 28 March 2014 - 08:55 PM, said:

^ Torii Hunter will decline ... eventually ... but he still put together a better year at the age of 37 in 2013 than Justin Smoak will possibly ever have in his career.

Hunter put up 17 HRs, 90 runs, 84 RBI and a .304 average last year ... but if you think Justin fits your team better ... well that's obviously your decision

well in an OBP league, that fancy .304 average doesn't mean as much (obv nice for ribis though).  they both had the same OBP last year.  Smoak had more HRs in 150 less ABs.  Tori plays in a much stronger offensive lineup.  I think your opening statement is a bit much.  Maybe if all you value is a BA.

#18 MiggyRunsTings

MiggyRunsTings

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:10 AM

The Smoak Monster paying dividends early B)

#19 Nocturnal Feeders

Nocturnal Feeders

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:22 AM

Nice tout Miggy...he's worth a shot at least, I just scooped him up after that shot.  Seems you're right about him getting better pitches to hit, also not sure how they're using Hart yet.

#20 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,829 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:26 AM

I wouldn't fall for it.  But if you are in a deeper league it may be worth seeing if he has a post hype breakout.  But I have seen this guy show glimpses so many times and then go right back to sucking.  One HR vs. the awful Kevin Jepsen isn't going to make me into a believer all of a sudden.  I still think he is a longshot to ever be worthwhile in most fantasy formats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users