Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

2013 World Series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#1 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,886 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

The Cardinals were many people's favorites in this series, but I just watched these Red Sox defy what "should" have happened in pitcher matchups to beat a team with likely the best starting pitching in baseball.

First couple innings they are already back at it with the assist of an error and Wainright is looking quite shaky. Last to WS champs?

#2 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,886 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Wish Hunter could have pulled out the same thing Beltran just did.

#3 JJ954

JJ954

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Wish Hunter could have pulled out the same thing Beltran just did.

The ball he hit just now looked alot better hit than the one VS Det. I thought it was clearing the bullpens.

#4 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,886 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

Agreed but it's downright frigid weather for baseball right now in Boston. Not going to see a whole lot of carry.

#5 xenmax

xenmax

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

As horrible as it seems for the neutral spectator, I think the Red Sox will get to Wacha in game two.

And then they just have to beat Joe Kelly and Lance Lynn to sweep them.

Unless Waino can come back on short rest for Game 4.
12 Team Yahoo Keepr Roto 6x6 R,HR,RBI,SB,OBP,SLG IP,SV,ERA,WHIP,K/9,QS

C:  J Phegley
1B: Prince Fielder
2B: Jason Kipnis
3B: Anthony Rendon / Nolan Arenado
SS: Ben Zobrist
OF: Nelson Cruz; Alex Gordon ; Adam Eaton
Util [2] : Brad Miller ; Kendrys Morales ;

BN: Luke Scott ; Ike Davis ; Junior Lake ;
DL: Matt Holliday ; Josh Willingham
NA: Jonathon Singleton ;

SP: Steven Strasburg ; Kris Medlen ; Corey Kluber ; Lance Lynn ; Chris Archer ; Patrick Corbin ; Gerrit Cole ; Tony Cingrani ; Andrew Cashner ;
RP: Greg Holland ; Jose Veras ; Koji Uehara ;

#6 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

If the Red Sox win, I would like to see them do it in Fenway.

#7 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

Boston's rotation might be a slight mess now, but honestly there wouldn't be much drop off from Buccholz to Doubront. St.Louis hit .238 vs lefties (vs .280 against righties) in the regular season. Vs Lester (and honestly, as a whole) St.Louis looked lost at the plate. Buccholz has been leaving so many pitches up in the zone, that the only real bad thing about his injury is that Peavy might be set up to pitch a game 7. He has been pretty poor in the playoffs over his career, all though he did pitch well vs Tampa. I think if there was a game 7, the Sox would just use Peavy for minimal innings and then Doubront the second he got into trouble.

That's all a bit future thinking though. If the Red Sox win tonight, this series is close to over. I'm normally fairly pessimistic just because if I'm wrong, I'm happy, but if the Sox win tonight I see this series as over. I think Lester is going to win game 5 single handedly. Boston will miss not having one of Papi/Napoli in St.Louis, but this has the looks of a 5 game series if they win tonight.

#8 Backdoor Slider

Backdoor Slider

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

Lester caught with substance in his glove? After Bucholtz "caught" earlier in the year?

http://m.bleacherrep...-league-pitcher
**Poster Formerly Known as 2Balls

Keep up to 7 (Lose round per keeper):

Goldschmidt
JFernandez
Bryce
Kipnis
CGomez
--------------
TFrazier
Teheran

C.Davis
Pence
CSantana
CHamels
DMesoraco

#9 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Lester caught with substance in his glove? After Bucholtz "caught" earlier in the year?

http://m.bleacherrep...-league-pitcher

Nothing's going to come out of this.

I also don't believe it was just rosin. Looks like Ecto Cooler, or that slime from You Can't Do That on Television.

Edited by MrMartyBarrett, 24 October 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#10 osb_tensor

osb_tensor

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

Wacha wastes no time on the mound..

#11 Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,705 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

Back, back, back, back....GONE
Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7......

#12 MrWannaBee

MrWannaBee

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

Another Pappi home run that wouldn't be a home run any where else.

#13 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

Another Pappi home run that wouldn't be a home run any where else.

Right. He's a bum who only hits them at Fenway, and is a complete fabrication of that field.

Edited by MrMartyBarrett, 25 October 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#14 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

Cards showed their resolve last night. If the Sox had finished off that game, I don't think the series would have made it past 5. Good win for them for sure. Wacha/Martinez/Rosenthal were filthy.

#15 MrWannaBee

MrWannaBee

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

Is Pappi sitting the next three games?

#16 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

No, he is likely going to start Game 3 at first.
14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#17 Backdoor Slider

Backdoor Slider

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

Yeah, heard they cannot take his bat out of the lineup and Napoli will sit. At least game 3.
**Poster Formerly Known as 2Balls

Keep up to 7 (Lose round per keeper):

Goldschmidt
JFernandez
Bryce
Kipnis
CGomez
--------------
TFrazier
Teheran

C.Davis
Pence
CSantana
CHamels
DMesoraco

#18 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

So we were having a discussion about the fans, the "Red Sox Nation"...what I also call the "Back Bay Distressed Nation" for the number of distressed hats you see in crowd shots, and this isnt really a knock on them as much as it is a knock on what baseball has become.

When I was growing up and even into my 20's, a baseball game was part of a narrative of a 162-game season, but at the core of that single event was the game itself. It seems these days, that baseball because of new stadiums in great downtown "scene" locations has become 81 home "events" and it attracts less and less seamheads, but more of the people who want a popular scene, but the problem is that the price to attends what to a baseball fan is just 1 of 162, has been driven hard by the "demand" for those who are going to a different event.

So just speaking to your own hometowns, are there any of these teams, stadiums, events that its solely about baseball and the team? When I think around the league, what I see on TV, etc...the one that pops out in my mind are the A's.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#19 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

I can't speak for other cities, but as you mentioned, Oakland still caters to the casual baseball fan. Might be due to the lesser known product they put on the field, even though they're in the playoffs more often than not but it is very enjoyable, seats available anywhere at a reasonable price, seat prices have gone up yearly, but not enough to keep the working class at home. Field level, directly behind home plate, those seats you see during every pitch from the center field cam are $40, bleacher seats are still only $9 per game. Food prices have gone up a tic, but looking at what is offered, well worth it IMO. We tend to bring most of our own food and drinks, no cans, no glass, but Tupperware is allowed..
Pre game and batting practice are excellent for the fans, players interact with the fans, kids allowed at the field level rail to attempt autographs from those players who are nice enough to give them as well as shagging foul balls for souvenirs ....yea, Oakland is a great place to watch a baseball game..
“There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” Gen "Mad Dog Mattis

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

"You must first realize the prison of your mind.......before you can escape it". author unknown

My comments and assessments are meant for long term keeper and dynasty leagues, not for redrafts

#20 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,860 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

Yeah, heard they cannot take his bat out of the lineup and Napoli will sit. At least game 3.

Of all the Sox bats, the last one I'd want to remove from the lineup is Napoli's. If I was managing the team, I'd put Papi at 1B and Napoli behind the dish. Let Ross ride the pine.
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi