452 replies to this topic

#1 And Won

And Won

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

Boras seeking $125M for him. What a joke!

Why do people still hire Boras? If I were a team I wouldn't deal with anyone using him.
  • d_wag and damana like this

#2 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

Why do people still hire Boras? If I were a team I wouldn't deal with anyone using him.

why is it a joke? Boras trying to get the most money for his client and in the process making a good chunk of change for himself.
14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Evan Gattis / 1b - Edwin Encarnacion / 2b - Danny Santana / 3b - Todd Frazier / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, Charlie Blackmon, Kendrys Morales
Bench - Devin Mesoraco, Alex Guerrero
NA - Kris Bryant, Joc Pederson
DL - George Springer

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP - Kenley Jansen, Zach Britton, Luke Gregerson
P -   Bryan Shaw, Jake Petricka, JP Howell, Mike Fiers
Bench - Alex Wood, Chris Archer, Danny Duffy, Jacob, deGrom, Jimmy Nelson, Kyle Hendricks, Carlos Carrasco

#3 And Won

And Won

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

Because you can look at previous contracts of similar players and see that he's not worth it. Now as someone who wanted to possibly acquire Choo, this statement/decision by his agent has reduced my interest in him to 0. Hence hurting the market for his value.

I hope the Phillies don't pay him that amount, it's a joke. We don't want to be like the Nats paying 125M to Jayson Werth.

Edited by And Won, 09 November 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#4 FantasySportsEnthusiast

FantasySportsEnthusiast

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

Because you can look at previous contracts of similar players and see that he's not worth it. Now as someone who wanted to possibly acquire Choo, this statement/decision by his agent has reduced my interest in him to 0. Hence hurting the market for his value.

I hope the Phillies don't pay him that amount, it's a joke. We don't want to be like the Nats paying 125M to Jayson Werth.

It's not a matter of whether he is worth it. With the new player agreement and the amount of money being paid to teams, the free agent market is going to be bare. There is too much demand for talent and too little talent available. So players who are good too very good but not great will be the ones who benefit. If a player is great, a team will lock him up until his mid thirties.

Players hire Boras because he is good at his job(just look at his track record). It is not like he is holding a gun to their heads and forcing people to sign his players to ridiculous contracts. You are only worth what someone is willing to pay you and in baseball you only have to convince one team.
  • poopdungbeatle and Tchaikovsky08 like this

#5 Big Tuna

Big Tuna

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

dont think he is worth that much coin....especially to a rebuild like the Mets....but he is very valuable to a contending team - as a Reds fan would love to see him stay,

#6 Floor Pie

Floor Pie

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

If I were running a baseball team I'd love for this logic to be true. If every other team lost interest because of his agent it would mean I could swoop in and sign him for a fraction of his fair value.

Choo had a monster year in 2013 that I don't see him repeating, but he should still be a top 15-20 OF in all formats. I'd love to see him end up in a non-leadoff spot where he can get more RBIs.

#7 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

If he goes to the Yankess I am going to target him heavily next year. Crossing my fingers the Yanks sign him. I think it's a perfect fit.
  • damana and klove42 like this

#8 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

If he goes to the Yankess I am going to target him heavily next year. Crossing my fingers the Yanks sign him. I think it's a perfect fit.

It's not a Grandy type fit. Choo likes going oppo. That short porch in left doesn't benefit him as much as you think it would considering he's a lefty. Cincy was about as good of field as you could of asked for.

#9 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

It's not a Grandy type fit. Choo likes going oppo. That short porch in left doesn't benefit him as much as you think it would considering he's a lefty. Cincy was about as good of field as you could of asked for.

I agree but Choo going back to the AL and playing in the AL East parks in general gets me excited about his prospects next year.

#10 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

I agree but Choo going back to the AL and playing in the AL East parks in general gets me excited about his prospects next year.

I loved owning Choo last year. But that was a career year for him. Wherever he goes he's not going to live up to the contract he's going to get. His defense is subpar and he's been injury prone in the past. Not to mention he can't hit a lefty. Brewing to be another Werth situation.

#11 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:36 PM

I loved owning Choo last year. But that was a career year for him. Wherever he goes he's not going to live up to the contract he's going to get. His defense is subpar and he's been injury prone in the past. Not to mention he can't hit a lefty. Brewing to be another Werth situation.

If he goes to NY, he will be just as good, if not better next year.

#12 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts
  • Interests:Beating everyone

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

To be fair, Mr Werth earned his dough this year. 4.6 WAR @ roughly 7m/WAR on the FA market now...but I understand your sentiments.
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa. -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. -Thomas Boswell

#13 phoenixbases

phoenixbases

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

I loved owning Choo last year. But that was a career year for him.

How so?

HR/SB/Runs + RBI/Avg.

2009: 20/21/153/.300
2010: 22/22/171/.300
2011 injured but on a similar pace
2012: 16/21/155/./283
2013: 21/20/161/.285
  • Posting In The Clutch, brockpapersizer and FantasySportsEnthusiast like this

#14 jspeco9

jspeco9

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

How so?

HR/SB/Runs + RBI/Avg.

Yes his independent numbers (HR, SB, and BA) were the same, but look at the almost of runs and walks he took, those were a product of playing in Cincinnati. He is a leadoff hitter now, and unless he resigns or go to another hitter-heavy team (such as Tiger or Texas), I can't see him taking as many walks or scoring as many runs as he did last year (career high 112 and 107 respectively [coincidence it was on his contract year?]), or getting as many RBIs from the leadoff spot as he did in 2009 and 2012 (86 and 90 respectively).

I do agree it was a career year (in terms of fantasy, as he's still the same player he's always been in real life).

#15 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

why is it a joke? Boras trying to get the most money for his client and in the process making a good chunk of change for himself.

It's an agent doing his job, yes.

But is it realistic to think teams are going to spend that kind of money on Choo?... I don't think so, but then again Lincey got paid a lot more money than I thought he'd get too.

Here's a good read on it, they say Boars is targeting 90 - 100 million, which even 100 million seems a bit steep.

http://metsmerizedon...his-winter.html

#16 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

Grandy didn't turn into a low BA / high HR guy until he got to New York and saw that super short porch.
I'm not saying if Choo goes to NY he'll be a crap BA super HR guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he turned in a 30+ HR shortly afterwards. They key would be to keep his BA still strong with great OBP...
14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Evan Gattis / 1b - Edwin Encarnacion / 2b - Danny Santana / 3b - Todd Frazier / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, Charlie Blackmon, Kendrys Morales
Bench - Devin Mesoraco, Alex Guerrero
NA - Kris Bryant, Joc Pederson
DL - George Springer

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP - Kenley Jansen, Zach Britton, Luke Gregerson
P -   Bryan Shaw, Jake Petricka, JP Howell, Mike Fiers
Bench - Alex Wood, Chris Archer, Danny Duffy, Jacob, deGrom, Jimmy Nelson, Kyle Hendricks, Carlos Carrasco

#17 phoenixbases

phoenixbases

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:47 AM

How so?

HR/SB/Runs + RBI/Avg.

or getting as many RBIs from the leadoff spot as he did in 2009 and 2012 (86 and 90 respectively).

I do agree it was a career year (in terms of fantasy, as he's still the same player he's always been in real life).

He didn't lead off even once in 2009. He had 67 RBI ins 2012 (when he lead off about 80% of the time and hit 3rd some, too), not 90 as you say here. He did have 90 RBI in 2010, but he didn't lead off even once then, either.

You guys know you can look these things up, right?

#18 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

I actually hope he stays in Cincy (or goes to the Yankees but they won't pay his asking price). He worked well in cincy, and that team and ballpark are a match for him.
No Days Off

#19 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

tigers make him their priority. don't know if I like him with them. he could do a small amount of DH and not bat behind a pitcher but liked him with reds.

#20 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:06 PM

I have to imagine he'd hit leadoff or second with the tigers, unless they still like Jackson at the top and put kindler behind him. Power might go down to the teens but I think the counting stats would be good and obviously would still be a stud in obp leagues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users