180 replies to this topic

#1 thejamman

thejamman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:51 PM

I swore I thought I had seen a write up on him somewhere, but cannot find one so I decided to create one. He was the Marlins first round pick in 2012 and did nothing but blow his projections out of the water. He was drafted as a potential #3 or #2 starter, but has shown he can have lights out stuff as evidenced by his .88 ERA over 61.2 innings in high a (66k, 17bb, 2 HRA) and a 2.94 ERA over 33.2 innings in double a (23k, 9bb, 2 hra). He is currently continuing his streak in the AFL and may be a part of the championship game. He just threw 5 no hit innings with 4k's and a bb bringing his total to a 1.82 era in 24.2 ip (23k, 7bb, 0hra, 15h). Given his dominance at every level he has pitched at every level thus far I don't think it would be surprising to see him called up early a la Jose Fernandez. He does have a lanky frame, but from what I have read he has good mechanics. A good prospect, in my opinion, to keep an eye on going into next year.
  • bigbossman and Posting In The Clutch like this

#2 David Light

David Light

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:03 AM

What doe she feature? Does he have a mid-low 90's fastball? Breaking pitches, curveball change? If his fastball averages below 92, I won't be as willing to buy in.

#3 thejamman

thejamman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

Forgot to mention he's a lefty that throws mid to low 90's. I don't believe any higher then 93, but have seen reports of 95 in a couple places. Throws a very accurate fastball and his breaking ball is probably seen as plus plus right now. The changeup looks like it has come a long way, but can only tell so much based on what I read, but until I do get that chance this is what I have to go off of. Challenges batters in the strike zone and is big on first pitch strikes.

#4 David Light

David Light

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

So kind of a Patrick Corbin like pitcher I would predict.

#5 thejamman

thejamman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:12 PM

With a higher ceiling IMO. Looks like he has better k/9 potential and his batting average against is lower as well. All of that without taking the Marlins stadium dimensions into consideration.
  • PPolanco likes this

#6 thejamman

thejamman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

Here is a rotographs scouting report on him from Scott Strandberg. Fastball, slider change up repertoire in college, smooth and repeatable delivery. Well worth the read and it should only further cement his mid-season at the latest call up as long as he continues to prove himself worthy of a call up as he has thus far.

#7 thejamman

thejamman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

http://www.fangraphs...for-prime-time/

#8 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:26 PM

He completely dominated A ball, and he was solid in his limited time at AA. Miami's home ballpark is one of the biggest in the league, so if he comes up, I'd be interested in him. The Marlins seem to promote prospects at random, like Jose Fernandez last year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Miami by midseason. If he impresses in the spring I wouldn't rule out him making the team either.
Bring back Ray!

#9 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:48 AM

Marlins promoted a bunch of prospects before AAA last year so Heaney is definitely in play this year.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#10 K.Heart

K.Heart

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,064 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

From RW

"Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald writes that the Marlins will give top prospect Andrew Heaney "a long look" in spring training."

Kind of confirms what we believe that the Marlins are not afraid to challenge this kid. I would love to see Heaney have more success at AA first, but I trust the Marlins with prospects as they've been developing guys for a while now (kind of have to to compete with their budget).

#11 midlip

midlip

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

Any update on expectation for promotion to MLB ?

#12 bigbossman

bigbossman

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

Any update on expectation for promotion to MLB ?

mid-to-late season but only if there is a need.
so many leagues, so little time.

#13 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

What doe she feature? Does he have a mid-low 90's fastball? Breaking pitches, curveball change? If his fastball averages below 92, I won't be as willing to buy in.

He works at 93 which is plenty good for a lefty.
  • bigbossman likes this
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#14 Got Fleeced?

Got Fleeced?

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:va-jay-jay, poker, sports.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:03 AM

Jacob Turner's replacement?
15 Team Roto 10 cats
Keeper League - 4 drafted Keepers + 1 possible undrafted keeper

C Mesoraco
1B Santana
2B Kipnis
3B Headley
SS Andrus
MI Kendrick
CI Moss
OF Revere, Gomez, Bruce, Cespedes, Gardner
UTIL Span, Ortiz
Bench , C Johnson, Baez, Soler, Bogaerts R. Castillo

SP Felix, Scherzer, Shields, Hamels, Lester, Bumgarner, Roark, A. Wood, Vargas
Bench Betances

#15 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,860 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:10 AM

Not immediately...

Brad Hand will start Wednesday against the Nationals in place of the injured Justin Turner

(shoulder). (Hand has thrown five scoreless innings out of the Marlins' bullpen so far this season. It's possible Turner could be out a while, so Hand could make more starts if he pitches well.)
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#16 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

Hoping this kid gets the call but I'm sure they will give hand the look at least for a few starts since he did well in ST
No Days Off

#17 The Milkman

The Milkman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

his first start wasn't great

#18 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

Got back on track in his 2nd start

6 IP, 4 hits, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K

Groundouts-Flyouts: 7-2
16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
C - Jonathan Lucroy (MIL - C, 1B)
1B - Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B, 3B)
2B - Robinson Cano (Sea - 2B)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B, 3B)
SS - Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
LF - Carlos Gonzalez (COL - LF)
CF - Corey Dickerson (Col - LF, CF)
RF - George Springer (Hou - CF, RF)
Util - David Wright (NYM - 3B)
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Jean Segura (Mil - SS), Kole Calhoun (LAA - RF), Jake Lamb (ARI - 3B), Lucas Duda (NYM - 1B, LF)
Pitchers:(5 SP/5 RP)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, James Shields, Jose Quintana, Jordan Zimmermann, Carlos Martinez, Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova(DL)
Relievers: Craig Kimbrel, Greg Holland, Sean Doolittle, Joe Smith, Shae Simmons
Farm System: Andrew Heaney (MIA - SP), Marco Gonzales(StL - SP), Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

#19 avswsop91

avswsop91

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:53 PM

With only throwing 95.1 inning last season, he must be on a tight cap this season, no? Cannot see if doing too much this season (in the majors unless he get called up here soon) but I could be wrong.

Edited by avswsop91, 10 April 2014 - 09:54 PM.

12 Team Dynasty, Head-to-Head Category League (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3 OF, Util, 7 P)

6x6 Each Categories (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K, QS, W, SV, ERA, WHIP)

My Roster:

C - Travis d'Arnaud

1B - Paul Gouldschmidt

2B - Dee Gordon

3B - Todd Frazier

SS - (looking)

OF - Giancarlo Stanton, Jacoby Ellsbury, Yoenis Cespedes

UTIL - Edwin Encarnacion

Bench - Evan Longoria, Kole Calhoun, Lucas Duda, Mookie Betts, Rusney Castillo

SP - Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner, Sonny Gray, Alex Cobb, Jake Arrieta, Jacob deGrom, Mike Fiers, Carlos Carrasco

RP - Aroldis Chapman, David Robertson, Zach Britton, Dellin Betances

Prospects: N/A

DL - N/A

WON THE 2014 CHAMPIONSHIP!!

#20 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

He started the season late last year because of a lat injury I believe, which explains the lack of innings. He's a college arm so he is a bit more major league ready. Still, we are seeing this from more teams these days. I haven't read anything about him being capped, but you figure he would be
16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
C - Jonathan Lucroy (MIL - C, 1B)
1B - Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B, 3B)
2B - Robinson Cano (Sea - 2B)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B, 3B)
SS - Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
LF - Carlos Gonzalez (COL - LF)
CF - Corey Dickerson (Col - LF, CF)
RF - George Springer (Hou - CF, RF)
Util - David Wright (NYM - 3B)
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Jean Segura (Mil - SS), Kole Calhoun (LAA - RF), Jake Lamb (ARI - 3B), Lucas Duda (NYM - 1B, LF)
Pitchers:(5 SP/5 RP)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, James Shields, Jose Quintana, Jordan Zimmermann, Carlos Martinez, Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova(DL)
Relievers: Craig Kimbrel, Greg Holland, Sean Doolittle, Joe Smith, Shae Simmons
Farm System: Andrew Heaney (MIA - SP), Marco Gonzales(StL - SP), Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users