330 replies to this topic

#1 Hellgrammite

Hellgrammite

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Smyly confirmed to enter Spring training as a starter. Interesting to see what he can do. Talent level is there to be a strong #3 pitcher in 2014. 3.4 ERA, 8.4 SO/9, 1.17 WHIP, 12ish wins not out of the question, especially if Detroit can remain a strong playoff caliber team.

5x5 Roto 14-team Keeper (24 Keepers)

C - Jonathan Lucroy
1B - Lucas Duda, Brandon Belt, Jon Singleton
2B - Arismendy Alcantara
SS - Ian Desmond, Addison Russell
3B - Nolan Arenado, Kris Bryant
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yoenis Cespedes, George Springer, Rusney Castillo, Byron Buxton, Dalton Pompey

P - Hyun-jin Ryu, Doug Fister, Homer Bailey, Dallas Keuchel, Michael Wacha, Matt Shoemaker, Jacob deGrom, Alex Meyer, Jose Fernandez,

RP - Sean Doolittle, Cody Allen, Trevor Rosenthal, Mark Melancon

#2 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

Who's spot is he taking in the rotation? Does this comment guarantee that Max or Porcello is going to be traded?

It seems like 50% of the teams in the majors have at least one really promising young arm at the MLB level or knocking on the door. It's fun to observe as a baseball fan.

Edited by 96mnc, 13 November 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#3 phoenixbases

phoenixbases

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Where was this confirmed? There's no guarantee that either Max or Porcello is going to be traded. If neither is, Smyly will be waiting another year.

#4 paulmat1

paulmat1

Just Drafted

• Probationary Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

Where was this confirmed? There's no guarantee that either Max or Porcello is going to be traded. If neither is, Smyly will be waiting another year.

This is the year the Tigers have to win the WS, I don't see them trading either.

#5 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

This is the year the Tigers have to win the WS, I don't see them trading either.

Eh, even though he actually showed progress last year Porcello is still expendable. They don't have a lefty starter. Smyly fits the bill.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#6 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

I hope they trade Porcello to an NL team....like say, the Pirates.

#7 Hellgrammite

Hellgrammite

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

https://twitter.com/...385018134282240

I mean the expectation is that he will be a starter. We won't know for sure until we actually get to spring training, but clearly the intention is for him to start and to move a current starter with that expectation.

C - Jonathan Lucroy
2B - Arismendy Alcantara
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yoenis Cespedes, George Springer, Rusney Castillo, Byron Buxton, Dalton Pompey

P - Hyun-jin Ryu, Doug Fister, Homer Bailey, Dallas Keuchel, Michael Wacha, Matt Shoemaker, Jacob deGrom, Alex Meyer, Jose Fernandez,

#8 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,756 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

I like Smyly a lot, liked him going into last year hopefully they just move Porcello already and open up a spot for this guy. He was very good out of the pen last year, I thought I had read somewhere that he wasnt going to be moved to rotation.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#9 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,614 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

I too like Smyly, and think he's going to have success as a starter. I just dont think hes going to be an SP2, and Im unsure what sort of hype will affect his ADP.
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#10 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:22 AM

I like Smyly a lot, liked him going into last year hopefully they just move Porcello already and open up a spot for this guy. He was very good out of the pen last year, I thought I had read somewhere that he wasnt going to be moved to rotation.

Hopefully Porcello gets traded to San Diego.

#11 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,756 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

Hopefully Porcello gets traded to San Diego.

No Thanks...I think were probably set in the rotation, or at least thats what Ive read that they believe. We took on Ian Kennedy last summer, I think that along with hopefully everyone getting healthy (kelly) Pads should have a decent rotation. If anything I wouldnt mind seeing a roll the dice on Phil Hughes, he is from the area and I think you get him out of NY and the AL East, he could pay dividends.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#12 phoenixbases

phoenixbases

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

If Porcello goes to the NL, especially in a good park, I'm all in on that fella.

#13 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

Eh, even though he actually showed progress last year Porcello is still expendable. They don't have a lefty starter. Smyly fits the bill.

The Tigers do have Jose Alvarez, but we all know he isn't nearly as polished. Honestly I couldn't believe last year they threw Alvarez in the rotation over Smyly last year. I think a lot had to do with they didn't want to disrupt the success Smyly had out of the pen though.

Smyly will be the 4/5 starter for The Tigers. That is just scary.

#14 FantasySportsEnthusiast

FantasySportsEnthusiast

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

With Fister heading to the Nats, it looks like Smyly will be a starting pitcher next season. How do you value him if he is named to the starting rotation?

ERA: 2.37
FIP: 2.31
xFIP: 2.99

His numbers in 2013 as a reliever. We all know that relievers will generally do better than starting pitchings because of a variety of reasons. What are your projections for Smyly in 2014?

Edited by The Harsh, 03 December 2013 - 06:20 PM.
Merged with pre-existing thread.

#15 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:07 AM

Made 18 starts in '12, 1.21 WHIP and 3.79 ERA, along 88 K's in 95 innings. Didn't pitch deep into games that year, so I wonder about his stamina for '14. I I expect a WHIP around 1.30 and an ERA of 4.00, with about 150 K's - not bad.

#16 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Loved him going into last year but he didn't win job out of spring he is on the radar this year, I'm sure though he will be trendy "sleeper".

#17 Hellgrammite

Hellgrammite

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

Fister gone, so Smyly's def. will get a bit of leash as a starter.

C - Jonathan Lucroy
2B - Arismendy Alcantara

#18 freudig

freudig

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:33 AM

The Tigers do have Jose Alvarez, but we all know he isn't nearly as polished. Honestly I couldn't believe last year they threw Alvarez in the rotation over Smyly last year. I think a lot had to do with they didn't want to disrupt the success Smyly had out of the pen though.

No, it's referred to as the Jim Leyland Young Talent Suppression Syndrome.

#19 Coach George

Coach George

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

I'm thinking that Smyly could be an awesome late round flier.

He's starting for the Tigers tomorrow. I'd like to take a look at him. Big potential.

#20 IlliniGuy76

IlliniGuy76

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

I'm surprised no one is talking about this guy...

I like him an awful lot later in drafts.
  • AnonymousRob and bdsparty32 like this

Harry Caray, 1984 Cubs locker room celebration, "And here we are! I hope we get loaded tonight!"
12 Team, PPR, Start: 2 QB's, 2 RB's, 2WR, 1 FLEX, 1K, 1 TE. Keep 6.
QBs: Wilson, Kaepernick, Schaub, Whitehurst, Flacco
RB: Bell, Vereen, Sankey, Greene, FJax
WR: Floyd, Cobb, Hopkins, Jennings, Baldwin
TE: Reed, Walker
K: Crosby, Suisham

15 Team, Non-PPR, redraft, Start: 2QBs, 2RBs, 3 WRs, 1 K, 1 D.
QB: Wilson, Ryan
RB: Ingram, Ellington
WR: White, Floyd, A. Johnson
TE: Cameron
K: Hauschka DEF: NE Pats

12 Team, $500 Cap/Auction/Dynasty League, PPR, 2 QB's, 2 RB's, 3WR, 2 FLEX, 1K, 1 TE.
QB: Brady ($92), Brees ($99), Fitzpatrick ($10), Hoyer ($7), Savage ($2)
RB: Lynch ($60), Woodhead ($16), SJax ($19), Cunningham ($1), McKinnon ($1), CJ Anderson ($1), McFadden ($7)
Robinson ($8) WR: Garcon ($35), Hopkins ($19), Thompkins ($7), J. Hunter ($4), BMarsh ($65), Tate ($8), Marlon Brown ($1) TE: D. Allen ($2), Ertz ($12), Reed ($5) K: Vinatieri ($1), Suisham ($1)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users